• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Cowboy Bebop’ Canceled By Netflix After One Season

Jose92

[Membe

That was fast: Netflix has canceled its ambitious, widely hyped and, ultimately, widely disappointing anime adaptation Cowboy Bebop, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

The move comes less than three weeks after the show’s Nov. 19 debut on the streaming service.

That was really quick, i guess the reviews combined with the lukewarm reception by the fans caused them to cancel it.

But i think the thing that let the show down was the casting and especially Spike imo.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Just wait and see how bad they butcher Yu Yu Hakusho. People will retroactively think Cowboy Bebop was good then.

Last edited:

Fake

god is real GIF

Lunarorbit

I wasn't a big fan of the anime but the live action show was boring. I watched the first episode and then sat through the second but I didn't care and started playing on my phone.

Surprised it was canned so quickly but it's probably better in the long run

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I liked it, halfway through now, but it's not surprising. It's pretty unique in its style. It got me to go back to the anime proper and watch several episodes. I then realized how horribly they miscast Faye, and it didn't help that when fans expressed disappointment in that bit of casting the actress and her supporters took to social media to talk shit and laugh at the unhappiness of the series fans. Terrible PR idea there.

Last edited:

Kacho

Hilarious to see it come so quickly. I wasn’t interested in the show but I remember the PR debacle with the Faye actress. Neckbeards were not happy.

Honest question: why does anyone even watch Netflix shows?

Unless the series has been confirmed to go in full, they have such a massively high cancellation rate, your time invested into a show isn't worth it knowing storylines will be incomplete. At least with traditional television model, there's a few weeks into a season for it to find its legs before making that kind of decision. They also usually do pilots in order to gauge audience interest and decide if it's worth funding to begin with.

Services like Netflix don't do this and it's to their detriment. They'll sink tons of cash into something just to say they've got something new, dump it all out at once (so it can't have a long-lasting part in ongoing pop-culture conversation), and then most likely cancel the show a week or two later, meaning there's almost no reason to watch what they've already dumped out if you hadn't started by then.

I WAS going to eventually watch the other episodes (stopped after ep.1) but now? No point in bothering. I know there'll be incomplete storylines all over the place, and teases not followed up on. It'll be even more a waste of time than if the show was mediocre altogether but at least saw itself through to completion. At least that way I'd get some finality and closure to storylines, character arcs and the such.

If it's not obvious by now, I kinda hate Netflix.

Because some of them are amazing?

Midnight Mass is one of the best shows I've ever watched in my entire life. I made a thread about it recently if you want to see me gush about it some more: https://www.neogaf.com/threads/midnight-mass.1624311/

Bojack Horseman is easily the best animated show I've ever seen and overall one of the best shows I've ever watched.

Haunting of Hill House was also fantastic. As was Master of None.

Other great shows include Squid Game, Brand New Cherry Flavor, etc.

They also have a good amount of fairly decent shows like Alice in Borderland.

Editaur

After watching a few scenes the only person I feel bad for is John Cho.

He was always an adequate actor but he seemed to be putting in a good effort into the role.

Only watched one episode and that was enough for me to know that it shouldn't exist. The only purpose it served is that the people who worked on it got paid.

Durien

I don't think it was to bad either, except Ed but I honestly think they had a snowballs chance in hell of getting someone perfect for that role. If you step back and take a look at the series and remove the anime from your mind, it wasn't *that* bad. I can bet this will be better than One Piece. At first I thought maybe they should come our with Akira live action but this is Netflix. Tetsuo would end up black and gay and Kaneda would be a Girl. Akira would be trans and the gender fluidity would be what caused the blast....

I think the main problem is this: The shows try to change themselves from the source material for some reason. This especially drives me crazy when the source material is there. Game of thrones made changes, Wheel of Time is making changes, Cowboy Bebop made changes. The fans want the show that the source material came from. Until then, they are going to continue making these shows and keep wondering why they fail.

You can please some of the people some of the time but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters

Unless the series has been confirmed to go in full, they have such a massively high cancellation rate, your time invested into a show isn't worth it knowing storylines will be incomplete. At least with traditional television model, there's a few weeks into a season for it to find its legs before making that kind of decision. They also usually do pilots in order to gauge audience interest and decide if it's worth funding to begin with.

Services like Netflix don't do this and it's to their detriment. They'll sink tons of cash into something just to say they've got something new, dump it all out at once (so it can't have a long-lasting part in ongoing pop-culture conversation), and then most likely cancel the show a week or two later, meaning there's almost no reason to watch what they've already dumped out if you hadn't started by then.

I WAS going to eventually watch the other episodes (stopped after ep.1) but now? No point in bothering. I know there'll be incomplete storylines all over the place, and teases not followed up on. It'll be even more a waste of time than if the show was mediocre altogether but at least saw itself through to completion. At least that way I'd get some finality and closure to storylines, character arcs and the such.

If it's not obvious by now, I kinda hate Netflix.
Midnight Mass was pretty good

Kev Kev

i like the effort put in all around, but they just tried to do too much.

this is best for everyone honestly. the original shows legacy wont be shat on (not completely at least, only 1 season worth of shat lol), the actors wont be connected to a second season which, lets face it, wasnt going to be able to save all the wrong they did in the first season, and i dont have to get my hopes dashed by the inevitable disappointment the rest of the series was likely going to be.

but dont sleep on that OST!! there was some really good jazz in there 🎺🎷🎹

Mistake

We all knew right away, seeing as low budget cosplayers could do a better job

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Does Netflix have any really high dollar shows? Like WoT, Middle-Earth (well, let's face it, NOTHING will ever cost that much), or Foundation? Those shows at least look more expensive than netflix stuff. I know they throw a lot of money around at creative types and drop some $$$ on some movies but it rarely seems to show up on the screen. IMHO.

Top Bottom