• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Cowboy Bebop’ Canceled By Netflix After One Season

Keihart

Does Netflix have any really high dollar shows? Like WoT, Middle-Earth (well, let's face it, NOTHING will ever cost that much), or Foundation? Those shows at least look more expensive than netflix stuff. I know they throw a lot of money around at creative types and drop some $$$ on some movies but it rarely seems to show up on the screen. IMHO.
Some of the Korean Originals have better production values than anything i've seen on HBO series or limited series, no idea what the actual budgets are tho.

Keihart

Honest question: why does anyone even watch Netflix shows?

Unless the series has been confirmed to go in full, they have such a massively high cancellation rate, your time invested into a show isn't worth it knowing storylines will be incomplete. At least with traditional television model, there's a few weeks into a season for it to find its legs before making that kind of decision. They also usually do pilots in order to gauge audience interest and decide if it's worth funding to begin with.

Services like Netflix don't do this and it's to their detriment. They'll sink tons of cash into something just to say they've got something new, dump it all out at once (so it can't have a long-lasting part in ongoing pop-culture conversation), and then most likely cancel the show a week or two later, meaning there's almost no reason to watch what they've already dumped out if you hadn't started by then.

I WAS going to eventually watch the other episodes (stopped after ep.1) but now? No point in bothering. I know there'll be incomplete storylines all over the place, and teases not followed up on. It'll be even more a waste of time than if the show was mediocre altogether but at least saw itself through to completion. At least that way I'd get some finality and closure to storylines, character arcs and the such.

If it's not obvious by now, I kinda hate Netflix.
There is a bunch of non american shows with self contained seasons.
Extracurricular is easyly one of my all time favorite shows and it was structured as a 1 season show with a somewhat open ending.
Midnight Mass was pretty wicked too.
There is a bunch of cool shows on Netflix, maybe they are not as mainstream, but there is cerntainly some amazing stuff in there produced with Netflix's money.

black_13

Banned
I watched it just out of curiosity especially since they did the episode with Le Pierrot (episode 7 of the live action).
The show grew on me. Didn't like some of the changes or Radical Ed (lol that was bad). Over all I would've watched a second season.

Some of the scenes looked really good and I loved that they recreated shot for shot of some iconic scenes. Most of Netflix's shows are trash though, they throw everything at the wall and hope something sticks.

Mistake

D60LJoS.jpg
Vice is trying to redefine cult classic

Tschumi

I'm not surprised. It was awfully cast and had the wrong tone. If the actors for Spike and Faye didn't realise they were totally failing the legacy of the show very early in this whole process I'd be shocked.

I said it before and people were kind of triggered by my wording, but spike was too short and with the wrong hair, and faye was not slutty/slinky/jiggly enough.

I don't care about female characters being slutty, slinky, or anything, i don't expect that as though it were a sacrosanct prerequisite of entertainment media, but if you're apeing an anime series that was originally mature, late night television, you don't try to wrestle it back to PG.

Next thing we know Golden Boy will be played by fucking Jonah Hill

That's just the way the original fucking show was! It gave it a kinda noir, gritty feeling. i don't want to jerk off to this crap but that's just the way it's meant to be. Should have found someone who looked like Leeloo in Fifth Element and added sass and plastic jackets while subtracting fabric.

(This post would totally get me banned on reee lol)

Last edited:

Konnor

Fuck sake I actually had hopes they would go to season 2 and try to improve things.
Bullshit. Sometimes things need time to breath and find their own legs. Oh well

Haha, you actually hoped that a Netflix show will actually improve instead of becoming an even worse pile of shit? I admire your positivity.

thefool

I mentioned a while ago, in other Bebop thread, how the best course of action by the fans for stuff like this is indifference. If you adapt a somewhat nerdy property and you alienate its fandom, you're just reducing the initial target group. Without even some kind of audience bootstrapping, what you're left with is a niche product aimed at god knows who, and you either have something really good (but its Netflix...) or it will quickly fade into irrelevancy.

Even after all the discussion, I still can't believe their casting decisions, especially hiring some old unathletic actor to play Spike Spiegel.

Q1TaALq.png

Final note, Bebop deserved a really good adaptation. Its a wonderful show. But you need talent to (re)create.

dg64jfR.gif

Last edited:

BWJinxing

I have a thing, if the source material is a comic / magna / anime, I personally lose interest to see a live action version.

The visual has already been established, what is live action going to do at that point? Its going to ruin the established visual, there's just plot left. Often which is going to heavily be CGI.

Novels and books are different, they actually leave things to the imagination, and they fill in the picture. I can accept a book adaptation.

I might watch this this eventually, but based on that clip meeting Ed, oooopf. There are some anime cliques, that just don't carry over well with live action.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
I have a thing, if the source material is a comic / magna / anime, I personally lose interest to see a live action version.

The visual has already been established, what is live action going to do at that point? Its going to ruin the established visual, there's just plot left. Often which is going to heavily be CGI.

Novels and books are different, they actually leave things to the imagination, and they fill in the picture. I can accept a book adaptation.

I might watch this this eventually, but based on that clip meeting Ed, oooopf. There are some anime cliques, that just don't carry over well with live action.

This is basically the same reason why I dont really like Marvel movies or other comic books movies. Dont get me wrong, some are better than others, but as a whole I just am not into them. I am not trying to gate keep, if others like them that is great. But for me the stories come alive in comic book form, and on the screen it doesnt matter how much CGI they use it loses something and just seems lame.

Yoboman

I think it was ok and I enjoyed the first few episodes but they leaned too much into the cheese and not enough into the somberness that is in Bebop. But it was probably the best Anime/Manga adaptation outside of Edge of Tomorrow

They are moving in the right direction, something will get it right at some point.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Does Netflix have any really high dollar shows? Like WoT, Middle-Earth (well, let's face it, NOTHING will ever cost that much), or Foundation? Those shows at least look more expensive than netflix stuff. I know they throw a lot of money around at creative types and drop some $$$ on some movies but it rarely seems to show up on the screen. IMHO.
Witcher is probably the best they've got in terms of showpiece budget shows. And it still looks like an upgraded sci-fi channel show with much more expensive actors.

Fbh

Not surprising. The show always looked terrible and the few clips I've seen have been about in line with what I expected.
Live action anime just doesn't work 99% of the time. The characters are designed and written for animation, and the locations and setpieces don't have to deal with the limitations of live action productions.

Also Cowboy Bebop was one of the "easier" ones to adapt. Just cut out Ed and you have a cast of characters that might work in live action.
Now imagine live action One Piece where almost everyone is some over the top cartoony character.
Walking Glancing GIF

Hey Netflix…

PEOPLE DONT WANT LIVE ACTION ANIME.

Im trying to think of one good example and I just can’t.

IMO the Kenshin movies came close, they have some pretty nice action and the cheese/cringe is bearable.

The biggest issue with them, IMO, is that they really should have scaled back the costumes. It still looks distractingly like cosplayers in wigs.

Last edited:

kondorBonk

Just doesn't translate well. I, mean I bet it could have... but it would have needed a lot more care. Changing mediums requires creative changes. This is when you make characters look more grounded in reality or make the decision to make the Ed an A.I. instead of a prepubescent kid with bounty hunters . So many properties get shit on for changing the source material but a one for one recreation very rarely works. Often times, it can even heighten the film and make it one of a kind. (The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, One flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, ect)

Manga/comics specifically work great for animation. They are essentially a beginning phase of animation already as story boarding. Everything already has a set flow and you get close to a scene by scene perfect adaptation. Production companies need to embrace adult animation more instead of pandering to the "if its not live action, I do care" audience. So many great western comics that are close to being forgotten thanks to shitty live action half ass attempts. Would have loved to see a proper Jupiters Legacy...

Keihart

I feel like Netflix was going for japanese live action style yet they couldn't commit all the way...i think this only works when it's played as funny.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Jesus Christ why does everyone blame everything on being “woke?”

The show has innumerable problems with cringe dialogue, fucking up some characters, and the issues you’d expect trying to adapt an anime into a live action. Faye discovering the myth of the female orgasm was like five minutes of ten episodes. Why do so many mouth breathers feel the need to come in with the incredibly original hot take of “go woke go broke.”

Wow I’m sure you could definitely write a better show with such insight. The show wasn’t very good, but talk about learning all the wrong lessons…Vicious acting like a completely retarded spaz with no self control every episode? Nahhh the real problem here is Faye got it on with a girl, got it.

This is basically the same reason why I dont really like Marvel movies or other comic books movies. Dont get me wrong, some are better than others, but as a whole I just am not into them. I am not trying to gate keep, if others like them that is great. But for me the stories come alive in comic book form, and on the screen it doesnt matter how much CGI they use it loses something and just seems lame.
There are plenty of very good comic adaptations though. 300, Watchmen, the Nolan Batman trilogy, the Blade films. I do agree that Marvel is mostly formulaic dreck though.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
First I didn’t think the original show was nothing special the internet goes heywire because it was apart of their watching viewing past let’s not look so confused when seeing the Netflix cowboy beebop not being good.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
Because of the changed ending or the whole movie was badly adapted? 👀

I dont think the movie was terrible but it didnt do justice to the comic in my opinion. But then again its one of the greatest comics of all time, or at least one of my favorites so adapting it to a movie isnt easy.

Top Bottom