• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Cowboy Bebop’ Canceled By Netflix After One Season

I didn't watch it but the people who did said that the guy who played jet was actually a pretty good. Everything else was shit though.

///PATRIOT

Banned
If this is real, then it explains a few things.
FGQK_lBXwAkGl1e

Everything woke turns to shit. indeed.
Yikes .

Get woke get broke

Jesus Christ why does everyone blame everything on being “woke?”

The show has innumerable problems with cringe dialogue, fucking up some characters, and the issues you’d expect trying to adapt an anime into a live action. Faye discovering the myth of the female orgasm was like five minutes of ten episodes. Why do so many mouth breathers feel the need to come in with the incredibly original hot take of “go woke go broke.”

Wow I’m sure you could definitely write a better show with such insight. The show wasn’t very good, but talk about learning all the wrong lessons…Vicious acting like a completely retarded spaz with no self control every episode? Nahhh the real problem here is Faye got it on with a girl, got it.
Get woke go broke or more accurately get woke and make a shit product. It’s because the writers are more concerned about making a woke show than an accurate adaptation that it turns to shit. Also, what’s a mouth breather?

Blade2.0

They need to stop turning Anime into Live Action adaptation....
I don't know. There are some good ones out there. I think the Rurouni Kenshin trilogy is a very good live action adaptation. Thing is, RK is a little more easy to adapt. At its heart is a samurai picture. Something Japan is already good at doing. Just throw in the wacky weapons on top and you got yourself a show.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
I liked Alita just fine. I didn't have any prior knowledge of the manga/anime though. The Guyver movies were good for what they were. Live action anime can be done.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Get woke go broke or more accurately get woke and make a shit product. It’s because the writers are more concerned about making a woke show than an accurate adaptation that it turns to shit. Also, what’s a mouth breather?
The point is the show not being good has nothing to do with it being “woke.” What’s even woke about it moreso than the original?

A mouth breather is a low IQ individual who, in this context, thinks everything they don’t like must be woke

thefool

The point is the show not being good has nothing to do with it being “woke.” What’s even woke about it moreso than the original?

I haven't watched the live action so perhaps my assumption is wrong (as it is based on what i read the writers wanted Faye to be) but lets take Faye, as an example which exists much beyond her sexy outfit.
Faye was a naive girl who falls in love with a guy only to end up being conned. She's deeply affected by it, lost in a new reality, has absolutely no anchor to hold on to but her one value: her looks. So a con girl is born. She's a sassy, clever, seductive woman who tries to fool men using her sexuality. She's objectified, using her looks in her favor to scheme against horny bastards. But when she's in her own or with the crew she behaves abrasively, very unfeminine, with very little manners.
So, two things might happen when the writers call for an empowerment of Faye, and her desexualization. Either they miunderstood what they watched or their ideology (the so called wokeness) is contradictory with the writing and development of a (multilayered) woman who, in many of the events of the show, is deeply objectified. The solution, to ditch that and simply rewrite her (along filling the gay quota).

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
I haven't watched the live action so perhaps my assumption is wrong (as it is based on what i read the writers wanted Faye to be) but lets take Faye, as an example which exists much beyond her sexy outfit.
Faye was a naive girl who falls in love with a guy only to end up being conned. She's deeply affected by it, lost in a new reality, has absolutely no anchor to hold on to but her one value: her looks. So a con girl is born. She's a sassy, clever, seductive woman who tries to fool men using her sexuality. She's objectified, using her looks in her favor to scheme against horny bastards. But when she's in her own or with the crew she behaves abrasively, very unfeminine, with very little manners.
So, two things might happen when the writers call for an empowerment of Faye, and her desexualization. Either they miunderstood what they watched or their ideology (the so called wokeness) is contradictory with the writing and development of a (multilayered) woman who, in many of the events of the show, is deeply objectified. The solution, to ditch that and simply rewrite her (along filling the gay quota).
Here’s the thing: I think Faye is actually portrayed fairly well, given her backstory and such. It makes sense for her to be throwing out the crass, stupid shit she does because…she’s basically a child in a tough world and she’s doing what works. She might be the most believable adaptation from the anime, to be honest.

But the writing could be so much better. That’s the problem, IMO. It’s not that a girl gets her off, it’s how clumsily it happens. But the lazy argument is “oh this is woke” because they went a couple places, especially when the original show actually had some of these elements

trikster40

IMO the Kenshin movies came close, they have some pretty nice action and the cheese/cringe is bearable.

The biggest issue with them, IMO, is that they really should have scaled back the costumes. It still looks distractingly like cosplayers in wigs.
Agreed. The cosplay thing is a big reason why live-action version of an anime just doesn’t work. We’ve already seen these characters as they were intended with no compromise, then trying to 1. Cast someone who is similar but 2. Come up with realistic costumes that aren’t just cosplay is an extremely difficult task.

Throw in things just just don’t make sense when you see them live and it’s a recipe for disaster.

Saber

Gold Member

They though the original one is a problem since its an anime and old fashioned. So they made a new one as a "substitute", cutting whatever it made the first one a cult among all animes(like sexualization for instance).

Last edited:

A mouth breather is a low IQ individual who, in this context, thinks everything they don’t like must be woke
Let’s see - they made Gren transgender. They made Faye less sexy and made her a lesbian. They made Spike asian. All signs point to woke, on top of the classic tell tale signs of woke shows that end up failing - you know writers having pronouns in their bio, lashing out against the original fans of the series.

Mouth breather in this case is a low-level insult for people who cannot back their own arguments used by people with low IQ. You’re not of those are you?

Last edited:

Fake

When I signed onto it, André [Nemec] told me the things he didn't want to do. You know, moments and aspects of the animation that he didn't want to copy. We clung onto some people, like Bowie and style icons that we really wanted to embed in the new design.
"It was an opportunity to right some of the issues in the anime."

JayK47

I watched the first few episodes at a friends place and I didn't hate it. Will likely watch the rest of them. Netflix really is a mess and I am glad I no longer subscribe.

n0razi

I didn't watch it but the people who did said that the guy who played jet was actually a pretty good. Everything else was shit though.

The main 3 were great: Jet, Spike, and Faye

A couple of the minor characters were good too like Whitney (Faye's mom)

The rest were trash, especially Vicious, Ed, and Julia

Nobody_Important

“Aww, it’s so...average,” she said to him in a cold brick of passion
Because it makes them feel better about themselves and it gives them an easy argument they can make without having to engage much brain power. "Go woke go broke!" right? Yeah! Wait except you know all the companies, movies, music artists, actors, etc etc who all went "woke" by the ignorant definition these people believe in and yet continue to make millions or even billions of dollars per year.

noneofmybusiness.gif

Last edited:
Woke has been thrown around so much its lost its meaning and purpose. It's like when a boomer finds a meme funny on Facebook and begins abusing it on every post they make. Sooner or later people will just see woke in a post and just ignore the rest of what is said regardless if it's insightful or not.

Last edited:

tsumake

Because it makes them feel better about themselves and it gives them an easy argument they can make without having to engage much brain power. "Go woke go broke!" right? Yeah! Wait except you know all the companies, movies, music artists, actors, etc etc who all went "woke" by the ignorant definition these people believe in and yet continue to make millions or even billions of dollars per year.

noneofmybusiness.gif

So why was it canceled?

Nobody_Important

So why was it canceled?
Because it was terrible. But it being terrible does not mean it was because it was "woke". The show would have been shit regardless of any "woke" choices made because the premise of it from the start was doomed to fail. Popular animes are NEVER good when transferred to live action. Half the fun of anime is to put on screen/paper what the real world would never be able to show. You have characters that look certain ways and dress certain ways that would look stupid or insane in real life. Comic films like the MCU produces can get away with that shit because it is somewhat based in reality from the start. But anime is a different animal.

This is why I always say that if there is to be a new adaptation of an anime then it needs to be either CGI or just a very high budget remake of the animated version. Live versions of anime and cartoons almost always suck with very little exception. Them being accused of being "woke" by some randos on the internet has very little to do with that.

Last edited:

tsumake

Because it was terrible. But it being terrible does not mean it was because it was "woke". The show would have been shit regardless of any "woke" choices made because the premise of it from the start was doomed to fail. Popular animes are NEVER good when transferred to live action. Half the fun of anime is to put on screen/paper what the real world would never be able to show. You have characters that look certain ways and dress certain ways that would look stupid or insane in real life. Comic films like the MCU produces can get away with that shit because it is somewhat based in reality from the start. But anime is a different animal.

This is why I always say that if there is to be a new adaptation of an anime then it needs to be either CGI or just a very high budget remake of the animated version. Live versions of anime and cartoons almost always suck with very little exception.

What is woke then?

*Nightwing

The anime had a flow that played into the pacing of it combined with the soundtrack and action scenes. Then the abrupt comidec stops had impact instead of falling flat. Didn’t watch, and still don’t plan to based on how terrible the fight scenes choreography was from the trailers. It’s quality in making is obviously poor in comparison to its source material easily visible in small snippets that they chose to try and sell. Despite its polish. They made the classic Hollywood mistake of trying to copy something sans the talent making it, or the hard work to make up for said lack of talent and expect to bank on the name alone.

Nobody_Important

What is woke then?
I am not even going to try to have that conversation. No thank you. You either know what I mean when I say it (and you are being disingenuous) or you somehow do not actually know then and I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in spending half a dozen posts explaining it and debating it. I have better ways to spend my Friday night.

And that is not even mentioning the fact that the topic comes dangerously close to politics and I am not gonna catch a ban from Gaf for trying to debate about the live action Netflix version of fucking Cowboy Bebop lol

tsumake

I am not even going to try to have that conversation. No thank you. You either know what I mean when I say it (and you are being disingenuous) or you somehow do not actually know then and I have absolutely no interest whatsoever in spending half a dozen posts explaining it and debating it. I have better ways to spend my Friday night.

And that is not even mentioning the fact that the topic comes dangerously close to politics and I am not gonna catch a ban from Gaf for trying to debate about the live action Netflix version of fucking Cowboy Bebop lol

You can’t define nor name a work that is woke yet disparage its supposed misusage?

///PATRIOT

Banned

noneofmybusiness.gif
When the producers said that they were going to fix the so called "problematic" things of the anime. Did they do it to make them feel better about themselves too?

When comes to wokeness do you always argue in bad Faith?

Tams

The show has innumerable problems with cringe dialogue, fucking up some characters, and the issues you’d expect trying to adapt an anime into a live action. Faye discovering the myth of the female orgasm was like five minutes of ten episodes. Why do so many mouth breathers feel the need to come in with the incredibly original hot take of “go woke go broke.”

Wow I’m sure you could definitely write a better show with such insight. The show wasn’t very good, but talk about learning all the wrong lessons…Vicious acting like a completely retarded spaz with no self control every episode? Nahhh the real problem here is Faye got it on with a girl, got it.
Yes, the wokeness is just another symptom of an underdeveloped and stilted mind. Hence that travesty of a 'writer' mentioned above.

Although it might well be self-fulfilling and perhaps a bit chicken-and-the-egg.

Nobody_Important

Yes, the wokeness is just another symptom of an underdeveloped and stilted mind. Hence that travesty of a 'writer' mentioned above.

Although it might well be self-fulfilling and perhaps a bit chicken-and-the-egg.
Name one extremely well received and highly reviewed by critics live action iteration of an anime. Woke or not. I'll wait :)

Last edited:

Yoboman

I dont think the movie was terrible but it didnt do justice to the comic in my opinion. But then again its one of the greatest comics of all time, or at least one of my favorites so adapting it to a movie isnt easy.
The Dr Manhattan scene is fire though

Tams

Name one extremely well received and highly reviewed by critics live action iteration of an anime. Woke or not. I'll wait :)
Did I say that the sole reason this has been axed is because it was woke? No, no I didn't.

But many of the issues ultimately stem from the writers and even some of the cast being woke, or being woke is another symptom of ineptitude.

As for other live action anime: well no, because the silliness and surrealness of anime doesn't translate well to live action. Although Cowboy Beebop is probably one of the few that could have been done well. That they managed to mess it up really just adds to the evidence that wokeness is one of the major reasons this got cancelled.

gatti-man

Some of the Korean Originals have better production values than anything i've seen on HBO series or limited series, no idea what the actual budgets are tho.
Like? I can’t think of a single show that holds a candle to HBO series on Netflix besides maybe Dark. That’s it.

Keihart

Like? I can’t think of a single show that holds a candle to HBO series on Netflix besides maybe Dark. That’s it.
i gave one example, Extracurricular.
My Name recently is the best action that is not a movie i've seen.

Not only good production but actual cinematography with cool transitions, use of lighting and whatever seems to be reserved for movies for some reason in most TV Series.

Yoboman

IMO wokeness Leads to untalented hacks getting jobs they are not qualified for (yet) based on their gender and /or sexual orientation.
If a high enough quota makes it into production the product turns out bad.
Untalented hacks have always existed and always will

This whole idea didnt seem thought through from the onset.

It was so weird how they needed to apparently, culturally approprate the cast for some reason. For the record, I dont care who plays these roles as long as the actors have some actual and significant resemblance to the original characters. There was barely any here. Not to mention the loose interpretation of the original source material.

One Piece ain't making it to Usopp.

Thank fuck if that happens.

Whoever greenlit the live action One PIece TV series idea must've been as high as a kite.

Last edited:
Top Bottom