• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Cowboy Bebop’ Canceled By Netflix After One Season

Fake

Its a shame this didn't work out. Netflix's live action Death Note movie was great.

770983.jpg

Eeeeeexxxcccuuussseee mmmmmeeee princess.

Javthusiast

Banned
At least Yu Yu Hakusho is I believe being done by a japanese studio who does Alice in Borderland live action, so it might be not as bad as this or One Piece from the same studio as Beflop.

Keihart

I do wonder what was Netflix thinking by giving a really beloved IP like cowboy bebop to such an amateur directing team and then pikachu face when it wasn't all that good.
It's weird how faithfull it tries to be to the anime while changing so many things that make no sense to change and keeping some intact that could've of been a really good oportunity for creativity in adapting them.

They went full japanese live action and then backtracked in all the wrong things, marvelous.
As someone who really likes the "tomboy" archetype, changing Faye from a feme fatale to a tomboy made so little fucking sense, so many of the adventures lean on her being one.

gatti-man

i gave one example, Extracurricular.
My Name recently is the best action that is not a movie i've seen.

Not only good production but actual cinematography with cool transitions, use of lighting and whatever seems to be reserved for movies for some reason in most TV Series.
Yeah disagree lol. Not even close. What exactly have you watched on hbo?

jason10mm

Gold Member
I do wonder what was Netflix thinking by giving a really beloved IP like cowboy bebop to such an amateur directing team and then pikachu face when it wasn't all that good.
It's weird how faithfull it tries to be to the anime while changing so many things that make no sense to change and keeping some intact that could've of been a really good oportunity for creativity in adapting them.

They went full japanese live action and then backtracked in all the wrong things, marvelous.
As someone who really likes the "tomboy" archetype, changing Faye from a feme fatale to a tomboy made so little fucking sense, so many of the adventures lean on her being one.
Netflix and all the other streaming services are just throwing shit at the wall full tilt. They just need CONTENT to feed subscribers, the actual quality is tertiary at best, after speed of production and costs. So they are hunting for IPs with some recognition to bait subscribers.

Talent is spread FAR too thin these days. Good writers, producers, and directors used to be concentrated in just a few studios. But now it is all over the place, 'talent' like J.J. Abrams has a dozen projects going all at once, the entertainment streaming execs have little experience in some of these areas. Bowing to the 4-quadrant algorithm doesn't help either, as it dictates going in story directions that may not be organic to the project, making casting decisions to the detriment of the project, and hiring crew more for the social media points than their experience.

Some of these projects hit hard and led to great new vistas, but most just fizzle. Then again, even in the old days of the "white cis-het boys club" most stuff fizzled. But, IMHO, the stuff getting churned out now has almost ZERO replay value. No one is gonna be mining the Netflix back catalogue for syndication, there will never be a "Netflix at night" retro/vintage channel, because the core quality just isn't there. It's all flash and smoke. Stuff more than a month old are condemned to being 50-100 in a list of "what to watch next!".

Keihart

Yeah disagree lol. Not even close. What exactly have you watched on hbo?
what have you watched in HBO? You know, like something that has real transitions, framing and use of color like actual good movies? all i see , even on good shows is either heavy color correcting, cheap lighting and close to 0 interesting framing and transitions.

Last edited:

yazenov

It was horrible and it deserved to be canceled. Waste of money and waste of time for the fans of the source material.

Glad they didn't try to salvage this shit show.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler

We'll have an iconic character from the anime appear at the end of the season to really give that stinger that will hook them for the next season! Oh my God, they're gonna love this! We'll be printing money!

Said an exec that is probably hitting his wife in a bourbon and Xanax induced episode of psychosis right now.

SPIIIIIIUGHHHHHHKE SPEAGGGGULLLL

"THIS IS WHAT THE KIDS LIKE, ISN'T IT TONYA?!"

"Yes, Chase, yes, just please stop, I think it's the best show ever, let's sit down and watch it together, okay?"

CGiRanger

Banned
They had to have known Ed was going to be a disaster. Right? They can't have filmed that and thought it was good shit?
The writing staff undoubtedly thought it was amazing. The rest of the crew were probably rethinking their career choices.
Again, just go look up the writers/showrunners and find their twitter profiles/timelines. That'll tell you all you need to know.

But when they started shitting on the fans, you knew how this would turn out. It's like they never learn, or more likely their unbridled narcissism makes them totally blind to how they come across outside of their bubbles, and they of course think they know better.

Does Netflix have any really high dollar shows? Like WoT, Middle-Earth (well, let's face it, NOTHING will ever cost that much), or Foundation? Those shows at least look more expensive than netflix stuff. I know they throw a lot of money around at creative types and drop some $$$ on some movies but it rarely seems to show up on the screen. IMHO.
Actually now that I think about it...Does Netflix really have high production value series? Out of all streaming services, I don't particularly remember any really huge one. I don't actually even heard about any big fantasy / sci-fi series on Netflix either...It is usually HBO, Paramount, Disney?

What’s even woke about it moreso than the original?
The problem is that the original anime did not shove it into your throat. There was nothing vulgar with Gren (unlike Netflix ediition where they made him into a freak) as the example. Or that Ed oof (it should not have been translated directly at all). This live action series was following all the modern american tropes - daddy issues, toxic masculinity, daddy issues, parenting, strong and independent women and so on. Original was not even that much of a comedy but basically a drama with broken people living in the hard world where life goes on even after all the events.

American media these days is too much in your face to a point of being vulgar.

Last edited:

CGiRanger

Banned
Actually now that I think about it...Does Netflix really have high production value series? Out of all streaming services, I don't particularly remember any really huge one. I don't actually even heard about any big fantasy / sci-fi series on Netflix either...It is usually HBO, Paramount, Disney?

The problem is that the original anime did not shove it into your throat. There was nothing vulgar with Gren (unlike Netflix ediition where they made him into a freak) as the example. Or that Ed oof (it should not have been translated directly at all). This live action series was following all the modern american tropes - daddy issues, toxic masculinity, daddy issues, parenting, strong and independent women and so on. Original was not even that much of a comedy but basically a drama with broken people living in the hard world where life goes on even after all the events.

American media these days is too much in your face to a point of being vulgar.
Yep: https://boundingintocomics.com/2021...w-was-inspired-by-radical-left-wing-youtuber/
Of course, Markman’s seeming inability to recognize why Cowboy Bebop was near-universally rejected by everyone comes as no surprise given how, previously, she revealed that a scene involving their disingenuously gender-swapped version of Gren, as played by non-binary actor Mason Alexander Park, was inspired by a commentary video made by transwoman and popular far-left YouTube commentator, Natalie “Contrapoints” Wynn
2021.12.11-04.30-boundingintocomics-61b4294838704.jpg

Yoda

Only watched a few bits of it, won't bother finishing.. The casting was extremely off imo, this was a big nono for a show like Cowboy Bepop which wasn't really known for its grand narrative. Spike in particular was the strangest casting decision of them all. The anime has a young, charismatic, tall to the point of lanky, white guy. Netflix Spike also felt quite stiff, which further detracted from the character anyone who'd seen the anime was expecting.

But the writing could be so much better. That’s the problem, IMO. It’s not that a girl gets her off, it’s how clumsily it happens. But the lazy argument is “oh this is woke” because they went a couple places, especially when the original show actually had some of these elements

Has it ever occurred to you that woke writers write woke scripts?

They don't know what makes the original material great, they don't respect it, don't know how people really function, they suck at portraying human interaction and only care about injecting their own ideological views.
Hence why this adaptation frikkin' sucks.

The original show was diverse, but in an organic way. Not like this crappy forced mess that's actually a step back.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Has it ever occurred to you that woke writers write woke scripts?

They don't know what makes the original material great, they don't respect it, don't know how people really function, they suck at portraying human interaction and only care about injecting their own ideological views.
Hence why this adaptation frikkin' sucks.

The original show was diverse, but in an organic way. Not like this crappy forced mess that's actually a step back.

I think we’re actually in about 95% agreement

Last edited:

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
Untalented hacks have always existed and always will
Not on this scale. A handfuls of studios financed a handful of projects a year and usually got with proven talent first. The reason why Copolla, Spielberg, Bay, Cameron, etc dominated the market for decades. Along with them a group of proven executives, producers, writers etc.

No one would have HE-MAN be killed in the first episode of a new show and put a gay woman bodybuilder in his place. XD

Last edited:

Yoboman

Not on this scale. A handfuls of studios financed a handful of projects a year and usually got with proven talent first. The reason why Copolla, Spielberg, Bay, Cameron, etc dominated the market for decades. Along with them a group of proven executives, producers, writers etc.

No one would have HE-MAN be killed in the first episode of a new show and put a gay woman bodybuilder in his place. XD
There is a far larger scale of media being produced these days due to streaming services. Means more shit mixed in with the good, has nothing to do with whether they are woke or not.

Those directors dominated for so long because they were proven commodities

sankt-Antonio

:^)--?-<
There is a far larger scale of media being produced these days due to streaming services. Means more shit mixed in with the good, has nothing to do with whether they are woke or not.

Those directors dominated for so long because they were proven commodities
Good?

Lord Panda

The Sea is Always Right
I kinda feel sorry for John Cho, because I always had the impression it was a passion project for him. Poor bastard.

Hopefully The Last Airbender keeps the wokebending to a minimum, and avoids a similar fate.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
what have you watched in HBO? You know, like something that has real transitions, framing and use of color like actual good movies? all i see , even on good shows is either heavy color correcting, cheap lighting and close to 0 interesting framing and transitions.

Glad to see a fellow gaf who loves Korean stuff as much as I do. That being said My Name while it was good, it was far from being top dog. Extracurricular tho was nice, really loved it but it's clearly not for everyone. I'd say its a niche more than anything compared to the big stuff HBO has put out.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
Ending on a high note. Lynch would have nightmares if he were to watch this scene...
Then the end Spike before dying, he meets a girl with high caffeine in her body demanding a job, not being able to anymore dies and yells him name?

Poor actress who makes Ed so much casting and acting effort for just a few minutes of fame.

Last edited:

Keihart

Glad to see a fellow gaf who loves Korean stuff as much as I do. That being said My Name while it was good, it was far from being top dog. Extracurricular tho was nice, really loved it but it's clearly not for everyone. I'd say its a niche more than anything compared to the big stuff HBO has put out.
I agree with the niche angle, it kinda is.
Regarding to My Name, i think it's an example of great action even if not as great as a whole as a series. I can't think of any other show with action as good as that one.

Last edited:

LoneWolf&Subs

Neo Member
Extremely overrated… I think it’s because of quality in production we got in the 60’s, and 70’s due to the western demand for samurai films in that era, because any time I check out these new ones I’m ultimately disappointed by them. Especially this extremely grey version of Kenshin. The only acception is 13 Assassins. The rest feel like they have no clue how to make chambara without making it look like The Last Samurai. Even then they don’t have the sense of scale that film has.

Kev Kev

If you're going to shit all over your fan base before the product even debuts it better be a good product.

im still struggling to figure out who this show was supposed to be for

it wasnt fans of the original (thats for damn sure), younger people have never heard of bebop or arent interested, older people wouldnt go near it, and any other random person wouldnt stick around because the quality just wasnt there (more in terms of script/acting than anything else).

who did they make this show for? who was their target audience? its baffling

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
Jesus Christ why does everyone blame everything on being “woke?”

The show has innumerable problems with cringe dialogue, fucking up some characters, and the issues you’d expect trying to adapt an anime into a live action. Faye discovering the myth of the female orgasm was like five minutes of ten episodes. Why do so many mouth breathers feel the need to come in with the incredibly original hot take of “go woke go broke.”

Wow I’m sure you could definitely write a better show with such insight. The show wasn’t very good, but talk about learning all the wrong lessons…Vicious acting like a completely retarded spaz with no self control every episode? Nahhh the real problem here is Faye got it on with a girl, got it.
Im pretty sure that Netflix has an algorithm for renew vs cancel and I doubt reviews play anything but the tiniest part in it. If it costs a lot and doesn't enter the zeitgeist within the first couple of weeks then it gets canned.

Durien

Im pretty sure that Netflix has an algorithm for renew vs cancel and I doubt reviews play anything but the tiniest part in it. If it costs a lot and doesn't enter the zeitgeist within the first couple of weeks then it gets canned.
I would imagine it has to do with people watching it initially vs people watching midway. If it starts with 10 million watching and by episode 5 there are only 1 million watching it, I would imagine it is not getting renewed.

Extremely overrated… I think it’s because of quality in production we got in the 60’s, and 70’s due to the western demand for samurai films in that era, because any time I check out these new ones I’m ultimately disappointed by them. Especially this extremely grey version of Kenshin. The only acception is 13 Assassins. The rest feel like they have no clue how to make chambara without making it look like The Last Samurai. Even then they don’t have the sense of scale that film has.

They're adaptations of entertaining animes, so no one should expect some Akira Kurosawa caliber.
Still, all the films have been faithful to the spirit of the manga, and are easily above other attempts.

Top Bottom