• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

‘Cowboy Bebop’ Canceled By Netflix After One Season

im still struggling to figure out who this show was supposed to be for

it wasnt fans of the original (thats for damn sure), younger people have never heard of bebop or arent interested, older people wouldnt go near it, and any other random person wouldnt stick around because the quality just wasnt there (more in terms of script/acting than anything else).

who did they make this show for? who was their target audience? its baffling
Twitter

Hari Seldon

As someone who has never watched any anime, I feel like anime fans overestimate the amount of anime fans actually in existence.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
As someone who has never watched any anime, I feel like anime fans overestimate the amount of anime fans actually in existence.
I doubt you've never watched anime. Theres probably some stuff from your childhood that you didn't realize was anime. Anime is pretty big amongst millennials and zoomers. Has been for a long time. It's all over all the big streaming services with netflix funding anime themselves and paying for exclusives. Book stores are filled with manga. I dont know if theres hard data out there but it seems pretty big to me.

Hari Seldon

I doubt you've never watched anime. Theres probably some stuff from your childhood that you didn't realize was anime. Anime is pretty big amongst millennials and zoomers. Has been for a long time. It's all over all the big streaming services with netflix funding anime themselves and paying for exclusives. Book stores are filled with manga. I dont know if theres hard data out there but it seems pretty big to me.
Maybe. I still think it hasn't reached much beyond the west coast or a certain demographic of nerdy young kid. I have nothing against it, but I have zero member berries for it as I have never heard of any of them. I generally loath comic book movies but I have at least heard of a good portion of them. If you pointed a gun to me and said name an anime the only one that I could think of would be the one with ScarJo's ass and that is only because it has ScarJo's ass.

GloveSlap

Agreed. I didn't realize how big it was either until i started hearing young people talk about it more and more and more over the years. There might have been a lull years back when studios were focusing on creepy "1000 year old dragons" or whatever, but it is very popular now.

I dont understand why people cant realize that some cartoons, comics, anime or whatever are just suited to their original medium and are not going to work as live action without serious rework (that changes what they are fundamentally and pisses off everybody anyway)

I know the answer is "because money"

Kev Kev

i actually feel better about all this. it means the original show's legacy will carry on, unmarred by a shitty live action remake that actively makes decisions to undo all the greatness the original was and always will be

NoviDon

Maybe. I still think it hasn't reached much beyond the west coast or a certain demographic of nerdy young kid.
Netflix reported that over 100 million households around the world watched at least one anime title in the first nine months of 2020, a 50% increase from 2019. Even Northwestern's Anime Club membership has more than doubled since the start of the school year.

https://northbynorthwestern.com/anime-might-not-be-cool-but-its-definitely-getting-popular/

Kev Kev

Netflix reported that over 100 million households around the world watched at least one anime title in the first nine months of 2020, a 50% increase from 2019. Even Northwestern's Anime Club membership has more than doubled since the start of the school year.

https://northbynorthwestern.com/anime-might-not-be-cool-but-its-definitely-getting-popular/
The Office Cringe GIF

Hari Seldon

Cool! Maybe there is a ton of people who secretly like it, but I work with a ton of young people and when show topics come up there is no word of mouth recommendations of any anime like other shows. It seems to have an extreme social stigma which likely will limit any potential adaptation.

NecrosaroIII

Ask me about my terrible takes on Star Trek characters
Cool! Maybe there is a ton of people who secretly like it, but I work with a ton of young people and when show topics come up there is no word of mouth recommendations of any anime like other shows. It seems to have an extreme social stigma which likely will limit any potential adaptation.
I work with a ton of young people and anime gets brought up often

One season too many.

The anime is a classic. This live adaptation failed to capture anything good about the anime. They should have taken notes from the garbage Death Note live adaptation. What an abomination of a fantastic anime. Only good thing was Willem Dafoe.

NahaNago

Most of the young folk at work I've talked to about anime were familiar with it. I think I've only had one miss.
I work with a ton of young people and anime gets brought up often
I wouldn't say it gets brought up often but the discussions do get pretty hyped when anime is discussed.

Wildebeest

The next big Netflix live action anime show is One Piece. In terms of comic sales, One Piece is on the same scale as Batman globally. The big difference is that Batman is an old comic and most of its sales and plot lines are more historical than the "modern" plot line of One Piece, which started in 1997. Some really contemporary stuff compared to the source material DC and Marvel are mining.

Anyway, just because Batman might seem like a bigger deal where you are, it does not mean that One Piece is "overestimated" next to Batman. One Piece might not have really broken into some anglo territories where Batman is established, but that makes it easier to overestimate Batman compared to One Piece rather than the opposite.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I've had a lot of conversations with other people my age or even up to 10 years younger that are like "I've never seen anime before" and I ask them "Did you ever watch Voltron growing up?"

"oh...."

Drew1440

Again, just go look up the writers/showrunners and find their twitter profiles/timelines. That'll tell you all you need to know.

But when they started shitting on the fans, you knew how this would turn out. It's like they never learn, or more likely their unbridled narcissism makes them totally blind to how they come across outside of their bubbles, and they of course think they know better.
They didn't get chosen for their talent, they just had the right politics. A shame because with the correct script/direction this could have been good.

Mistake

Is the show bad enough for you to cancel your Netflix subscription? If not they’ll continue to make this garbage.
I canceled over the cuties thing. They won’t get my money after that, hell no. Plenty of free options or other things to occupy my time anyway

Tams

I canceled over the cuties thing. They won’t get my money after that, hell no. Plenty of free options or other things to occupy my time anyway
I cancelled when they lost the Marvel stuff. Not that their adaptations were really that good.

And it was because I just couldn't find anything more I wanted to watch and I have Amazon Prime (pretty much only for the shipping) anyway.

Top Bottom