• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“Hey PlayStation, here’s how you compete. Buy Ubisoft”: God of War Creator David Jaffe Sends Another Out-of-Hand Message to PlayStation After He Could

AJUMP23

PlayStation has had a terrible game announcement season. Not much to show and boring. But more people will buy PS games and consoles than any other system. Pretty good for competition.

Nvidia should by Ubisoft.

Perrott

Tsushima laughs at any Ubisoft game
Such deal wouldn't be about securing Ubisoft games' as they are now, but giving the awesome concepts Ubisoft usually comes up with (first Watch Dogs, Ghost Recon: Wildlands/Breakpoint, Rainbow 6: Patriots, The Division series, Far Cry series, Assassin's Creed series, Splinter Cell series) an execution on par with the high quality that we've come to expect from PS Studios titles.
There is nothing UBI has to offer to Sony.
Ubisoft has:
  • Massive, mega-successful IPs (Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Ghost Recon, Rainbow Six, Splinter Cell, The Division) with huge transmedia potential
  • An enormous, well-oiled support studios organization capable of aiding in the development of dozens of AAA titles 100% in-house, without any external collaborators
  • Rainbow Six: Siege, an absolute behemoth of a live-service that's still going strong nearly nine years after launch
I guess Sony could use those things, if they don't get scared off by the idea of managing an entity with north of 15-20k employees

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Would be a solid buy.

Lots of single player stuff with Assassin's Creed, Watchdogs, Far Cry, Splinter Cell, Star Wars etc

Lots of MP stuff like The Division (smh, I fogot that other XDex MP thing lol)

rick james cocaine GIF
Lol ok. You realize despite selling less consoles Xbox gaming division brings in more revenue than Sony’s Playstation division , right ? You realize there are more Xbox published titles in Playstation Store’s top 10 than Sony published titles at this given moment , right ? You realize they cancelled Factions because they said they couldnt sustain anything less than a major success when Xbox has the financial might to be more risky and sustain those hits. Xbox is firmly in second place in terms of consoles sold yes but theyre making better money making moves than Sony at the moment. Why do you think they fought that Activsion acquisition so hard ? Theyre gonna make a large fraction on every copy of Cod sold. Not to mention Activisions other major titles. Keep thinking Sony doesnt have to be shrewd with their strategy/business decisions and be as complacent as theyve been lately and think that cant result in Xbox making a dent. And btw i love Sony. I own all 3 consoles and a high end pc. Not to mention a Ps Portal and steam deck. But Xbox being competitive is a good thing. But Sony better be competitive back before Xbox creates an undeniable product and people jump ship in a major way. Brand loyalty only goes so far. Consumers are smarter than theyre given credit and Sony’s current strategy of super high quality high budget AAA single player narrative driven titles being dropped every 12-18 months or more when they arent live service titles and dont make enough money over prolonged periods of time to warrant development time/cost. And now Xbox has about 50 developers working to create a more consistent output of titles. Exclusive and non exclusive and they know utilizing other platforms for sales is now necessary for sustainability. Helldivers 2 not being on Xbox is a good example that Sony childishly harbors exclusives over maximizing profit and i suspect if that doesnt change it will inevitably bite them in the behind. But hey im on cocaine so what do i know ?

Last edited:

Methos#1975

Lol ok. You realize despite selling less consoles Xbox gaming division brings in more revenue than Sony’s Playstation division , right ? You realize there are more Xbox published titles in Playstation Store’s top 10 than Sony published titles , right ? You realize they cancelled Factions because they said they couldnt sustain anything less than a major success. Xbox is firmly in second place in terms of consoles sold yes but theyre making better money making moves than Sony at the moment. Why do you think they fought that Activsion acquisition so hard ? Theyre gonna make a large fraction on every copy of Cod sold. Not to mention Activisions other major titles. Keep thinking Sony doesnt have to be shrewd with their strategy/business decisions and be as complacent as theyve been lately and think that cant result in Xbox making a dent. And btw i love Sony. Xbox being competitive is a good thing. But Sony better be competitive back before Xbox creates an undeniable product and people jump ship in a major way. Brand loyalty only goes so far. Consumers are smarter than theyre
One, Xbox isn't firmly in 2nd place in hardware sales. They are in a dismal third. They also don't bring in more revenue than Sony. Sony brought in like 44% more revenue last winter than MS even after adding in ABK. Whatever MS'S strategy might be, it hasn't been a winning one by any stretch of the imagination.

Puscifer

Why does anyone pay any attention to Jaffe? The dude is on the precipice of a mental breakdown.
I legit laughed my ass off and stopped watching after he made a video saying he chased a child because God of War 3 got a 7/11 Slushy and none of the titles he was involved in didn't. Like who the fuck admits that lmao

pasterpl

Sony needs more studios to release games more frequently, that’s fact. Re. Ubisoft, I think that it would not be approved due to MS gamepass deal with Ubisoft that was forced during the ABK acquisition. Also, Ubisoft is probably the worst choice, they have some ``IPs that I love but most of these are long past their prime.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sony needs more studios to release games more frequently, that’s fact. Re. Ubisoft, I think that it would not be approved due to MS gamepass deal with Ubisoft that was forced during the ABK acquisition. Also, Ubisoft is probably the worst choice, they have some ``IPs that I love but most of these are long past their prime.
it's not fact. Sony releases plenty of games. There are plenty of games to play on PlayStation. People are freaking out over a Microsoft showcase where most of the big games aren't even coming out in 2024. I am honestly baffled by these things I am reading lately.

Last edited:
One, Xbox isn't firmly in 2nd place in hardware sales. They are in a dismal third. They also don't bring in more revenue than Sony. Sony brought in like 44% more revenue last winter than MS even after adding in ABK. Whatever MS'S strategy might be, it hasn't been a winning one by any stretch of the imagination.
https://newzoo.com/resources/blog/the-top-10-public-companies-by-games-revenue-in-h1-2023 yeah thats not the case. And yes youre right obviously Nintendo sells more units as well but theyre off marching to beat of their own drum so i wasnt including them but yes if they were then MS is firmly in THIRD place in terms of unit sales

ahtlas7

I mean Playstation beat Ubicrap at it own game years ago wtf would they need to add ‘tower climber‘ developer to it’s stable?

Last edited:

leo-j

tbh i would rather they take square enix to help expidit their development process..... FF VII remake ended up being a possible 15+ year project.

Methos#1975

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

Gold Member
Lol ok. You realize despite selling less consoles Xbox gaming division brings in more revenue than Sony’s Playstation division , right ? You realize there are more Xbox published titles in Playstation Store’s top 10 than Sony published titles at this given moment , right ? You realize they cancelled Factions because they said they couldnt sustain anything less than a major success when Xbox has the financial might to be more risky and sustain those hits. Xbox is firmly in second place in terms of consoles sold yes but theyre making better money making moves than Sony at the moment. Why do you think they fought that Activsion acquisition so hard ? Theyre gonna make a large fraction on every copy of Cod sold. Not to mention Activisions other major titles. Keep thinking Sony doesnt have to be shrewd with their strategy/business decisions and be as complacent as theyve been lately and think that cant result in Xbox making a dent. And btw i love Sony. I own all 3 consoles and a high end pc. Not to mention a Ps Portal and steam deck. But Xbox being competitive is a good thing. But Sony better be competitive back before Xbox creates an undeniable product and people jump ship in a major way. Brand loyalty only goes so far. Consumers are smarter than theyre given credit and Sony’s current strategy of super high quality high budget AAA single player narrative driven titles being dropped every 12-18 months or more when they arent live service titles and dont make enough money over prolonged periods of time to warrant development time/cost. And now Xbox has about 50 developers working to create a more consistent output of titles. Exclusive and non exclusive and they know utilizing other platforms for sales is now necessary for sustainability. Helldivers 2 not being on Xbox is a good example that Sony childishly harbors exclusives over maximizing profit and i suspect if that doesnt change it will inevitably bite them in the behind. But hey im on cocaine so what do i know ?
My man, I appreciate you posting a good detailed response. I wasn’t meaning to be so flippant in my response so don’t take it seriously, ok. I was more commenting on the pretty dire state of the Xbox eco-system. But I own them all too (although my Xbox is filthy casual series s, ewwww) and like them all too. I was just giving you a hard time, no hard feelings.

Your own link lol! MS is not leading in any facet of gaming at
UeJaemv.png
“If we combine Microsoft and Activision

“If we combine Microsofts and Activision
Blizzard's revenues for H1, the total is $10.4 billion. This would make Microsoft the #2 games company by revenues, docking Sony down to #3 for the first time. Tencent still sits comfortably at the top. “

Were just going to conveniently leave this little bit out huh ? And this is a 2023 report. Right now at this current moment there are more Xbox published games in the Playstation store’s top ten than Sony published games. Point being Microsofts gaming division is doing better and bringing in more revenue than when this article was published. Also im not necessarily accusing you of glazing Sony but i want to make it clear im not some Xbox fanboy by contrast. I own every platform available. But bias to the point we got the blinders on is what i take issue with. Lets say hypothetically you are a Sony fanboy. You want MS to be competitive because it will motivate Sony to be a better Sony. And make no mistake Microsoft is all in on competing and they are a much bigger company and their investments are just now starting to bear fruit. Dont sleep on Xbox is my point. Sony shouldn’t either.

Last edited:
My man, I appreciate you posting a good detailed response. I wasn’t meaning to be so flippant in my response so don’t take it seriously, ok. I was more commenting on the pretty dire state of the Xbox eco-system. But I own them all too (although my Xbox is filthy casual series s, ewwww) and like them all too. I was just giving you a hard time, no hard feelings.No hafeelings either and its not necessarily that im taking it seriously but i just think bias to a point where certain facts are ignored is corny. And i mean
Its not necessarily that im taking it seriously. This is just internet banter lol but I do take issue with bias to the point where facts are being ignored. And your meme was sorta making it seem like i was crazy to have my opinion or moreso some facts that i was relaying so i felt like i should defend my point. Thats all. No hard feelings either.

Methos#1975

“If we combine Microsofts and Activision
Blizzard's revenues for H1, the total is $10.4 billion. This would make Microsoft the #2 games company by revenues, docking Sony down to #3 for the first time. Tencent still sits comfortably at the top. “

Were just going to conveniently leave this little bit out huh ? And this is a 2023 report. Right now at this current moment there are more Xbox published games in the Playstation store’s top ten than Sony published games. Point being Microsofts gaming division is doing better and bringing in more revenue than when this article was published. Also im not necessarily accusing you of glazing Sony but i want to make it clear im not some Xbox fanboy by contrast. I own every platform available. But bias to the point we got the blinders on is what i take issue with. Lets say hypothetically you are a Sony fanboy. You want MS to be competitive because it will motivate Sony to be a better Sony. And make no mistake Microsoft is all in on competing and they are a much bigger company and their investments are just now starting to bear fruit. Dont sleep on Xbox is my point. Sony shouldn’t either.
I'm not really worried about Sony at all. They had one slow year as far as releases go and that's it and that is simply due to the realities of game development now. 2025 will be a vastly different beast imo based on what information we have and will be another strong year of Sony releases. I have questions though on what exactly MS will have to offer after Perfect Dark, Fable, etc are released because those games were all announced eons ago and MS has stated pretty much nothing about what's next, which is concerning when historically they tend to show off upcoming games far too early. I personally think long term that Sony is in a better position as far as future release roadmaps go than MS. I think MS is about to blow it's load come late 24 and early 2025 and after that it will be another 2-3 year game drought which they are all so famous for.

Last edited:

nial

Gold Member
Konami, Capcom, Sega, and Square would only sell in the most dire of circumstances. They're all essentially family businesses.
Eh, with the exception of Capcom, they're holding companies with subsidiaries operating in different industries (much like Sony Group, actually).
In that case, Sony Interactive Entertainment would only want:
-Konami Digital Entertainment out of Konami Group
-Sega out of Sega Sammy Holdings
-Square Enix out of Square Enix Holdings
I don't think any of these is a good idea, though. Too much bloat.

eerik9000

Again, PlayStation is a console platform first and publisher second. Their platform business is doing very well and so is their publishing business. Why would they need to buy a large publisher, when almost all of their games will be released on PlayStation platform anyway?

Sony do not buy large companies, developers, etc to my knowledge so I highly doubt they will purchase Ubisoft anytime soon. Besides, dothey really need them with the trajectory of the gaming industry. Last time I checked, they were number one.

Last edited:
Top Bottom