• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

17 months after launch, Xbox Series X/S is on track to outsell Xbox 360

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Yooo Reaction GIF

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Beating sales numbers from 15 years ago isn't very surprising. After all, population and game audience grew a lot in that time.

Still, compared to last generation numbers, I guess I can understand why people consider that as an achievement.
Sure it's impressive because console sales have actually gone down. The 360/PS3/Wii era had the most units sold. So for any brand to get back to those kinds of numbers is a good rebound.

You can say the same thing and PS4 then was terrible since it sold less than PS2's 150 million from that era. And there even fewer people and gamers.

ethomaz

Banned
The only reason you are even commenting is it’s positive Xbox news. You have to find something to turn it into a negative.
I thought you know me better lol

I will make the same comment no matter good or bad news since there is no proof or it is a fake source.

You guys should be happy because Series probably outsold 360 with 13-14 months instated that fake 17 months.

Last edited:

Exanthus

Banned

MrA

Banned
Dropping Series S to $199 should give it that second life in a year or two.

Keep in mind the majority of PS2's sales also happened around or after when they started dropping it's price to $200

Good point and the s might be a great tool for entering developing markets, but no matter what ms has to be smart and active as topping the 360 is a challenge and if they do it an impressive accomplishment

On Demand

Banned
A new low has been made with sales data.

You have got to be kidding me.

Amazing how “hardware sales is not an important metric” immediately goes by the wayside the moment a narrative and perception wants to be pushed.

MS doesn’t want to release any type of real sales data but an executive co signs vgchartz. How exactly does that work.

Talk about purposeful misleading PR.

Last edited:

tusharngf

In all honesty, I'd trust Vgchartz before Aaron.

Also Fatt Slobb defending Vgchartz because an Xbox employee uses it as a source. 😂😂😂
Not a shill 😉

It's obvious the numbers are miles better than Xbox One (either generation) and the comparison with 360 is interesting. I agree with @adamsapple that the numbers should be shown every quarter. Maybe they might actually note milestones again. Nice to have some competition again.

this tweet ? wait what its not real right?

Beating sales numbers from 15 years ago isn't very surprising. After all, game audience grew a lot in that time.

Still, compared to last generation numbers, I guess I can understand why people think it's an achievement.
The game audience grew yes but also there are more device to play the games on
thus giving people more choices to choose how they play where they play
so it is still impressive feat either way

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sure it's impressive because console sales have actually gone down. The 360/PS3/Wii era had the most units sold. So for any brand to get back to those kinds of numbers is a good rebound.

You can say the same thing and PS4 then was terrible since it sold less than PS2's 150 million from that era. And there even fewer people and gamers.

PS3 era? Mate, PS3 is Sony's worst sold console and failure, and yet sold more than 360, Xbox's best sold console/success, with a year delay.

Sony is aiming to break PS2 sales, the most successful home console.

Last edited:
Still last place, dont know what everyone is so happy about, they were so bad last gen, i thought they were really gonna go all out with the hardware this gen, ends up being around same power as the ps5 lol. Should have been alot more powerfull then the ps5, or better yet, should have undercut the ps5 by $100.

JLB

Banned
PS3 era? Mate, PS3 is Sony's worst sold console and failure, and yet sold more than 360, Xbox's best sold console/success, with a year delay.

So? What it has anything to do with the thread? Is this a dick measure contest or what?

JLB

Banned
In other things, what a dumb thing to use VGChartz as a source. Hard to understand how someone working at marketing for so long makes kind of a junior mistake like that.

Not reading all that. Surely you don’t care that much …

You've seen how long I can make a post. If it's multiple paragraphs, I might care.

Interesting question, maybe it's a way to share an estimate saying the number himself but quoting something close.(maybe they are not allowed to disclose exact numbers, who knows?) This a guess, as like everyone else here, I have no idea at all.

As another Microsoft employee did the same thing, what I also thought was a little odd.

But that's part of the problem IMO; why do this public teasing with sales numbers instead of just come right out and give official numbers? I'm sure some shareholders would be interested in them as well; if console sales are picking up that much then they would be more readily accepting of future budgeting that prioritizes console production.

Since I think consoles make up the vast majority of their GamePass sub numbers, if they're going all-in on subscription services then having hard sold-through numbers for shareholders would do a lot in terms of confidence, and reassure the growth is there. Which would probably mean more buys into stock, increasing valuation. There's really no benefit to hiding the exact numbers if they're going this well IMO.

I guess it just shows they really have moved on from disclosing sales, despite series X being on track to be the most successful Xbox console (in the same time frame currently as prior systems)

I guess sub numbers is all we will get going forward.

Yeah but even that has a sore spot; they do provide GP numbers, but it'll probably be once per year, whereas other services provide them once per quarter. Not only that, but we don't get any revenue numbers specific to GamePass, or Xbox sub services in general. Everything is lumped into total division revenue and they break down percentage gains/losses etc. by section.

Some people may argue that just getting the main big division numbers are good enough, and maybe they are. But no shareholder would turn down having more transparency.

There is nothing keeping Microsoft from disclosing exact numbers.

"With more than 84 million consoles sold into retail worldwide and $37.7 billion in lifetime game sales to date, Xbox 360 continues to enjoy strong momentum, fueled by a thriving community of gamers that has logged more than 88 billion hours of gameplay...."

They stopped when Xbox One was getting slaughtered by PS4.

Yeah, that's the big reason. Even if they are doing better this gen, by still refusing to give sold-through numbers they're only going to continue reinforcing the belief/stigma that they're being massively outpaced by Sony (and Nintendo).

Which maybe doesn't affect anything if it's just gamers talking about it all the time. But I can't see how letting that perception linger actually benefits their stocks, or shareholders, or pushing confidence so they can easily get more funding through for growing the gaming division even further with longer-term unit production increases.

You mean that the PS3 eventually surpassed the last reported 360 sales figures.

If Sony is aiming to break PS2 sales with the PS5, they'd better get going. They're not even gonna equal PS4 sales at this point.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You mean that the PS3 eventually surpassed the last reported 360 sales figures.

If Sony is aiming to break PS2 sales with the PS5, they'd better get going. They're not even gonna equal PS4 sales at this point.

Get going how? Make PS5 chips out of wood? They're aiming ahead to get 6nm chips as well, but they can't really do more than what they're doing. If anything, it's SIE's highest priority to make as much PS5's as possible.

They can pass PS2 sales because we're now more "acceptant" to owning more than one console in one home. Heck, I'm seriously planning to buy a pink PS5 for my 3.5yo daughter so she can leave me in peace and play her Astrobot "AKA Robot!".

Last edited:
That decade old tweet is just as accurate today. VGChartz has "no source and no science behind the #'s". I'm sure you are right that Greenberg does know the numbers. So why doesn't he just share them instead of retweeting crappy guesses from vgchartz?
Does MS provide sales numbers for ANY of their other products? Windows licenses? Surface tablets? Any other hardware they sell? If not, failing to release console sales numbers seems to fit with their disclosures for other products they sell.

Feel free to call them liars if you wish but it doesn't look like they are being inconsistent. Believe the Xbox Series are selling worse than the 360 or X1 if it makes anyone feel better, they are unlikely to prove it one way or another.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Does MS provide sales numbers for ANY of their other products? Windows licenses? Surface tablets? Any other hardware they sell? If not, failing to release console sales numbers seems to fit with their disclosures for other products they sell.

Feel free to call them liars if you wish but it doesn't look like they are being inconsistent. Believe the Xbox Series are selling worse than the 360 or X1 if it makes anyone feel better, they are unlikely to prove it one way or another.

I think they would be consistent if they were not retweeting VGChartz (of all sites) talking about sales. And I didn't call them liars at all. Just as I didn't make any comment about how well Series is selling.

Even though I’m not a fan of the Series S at all, I have to admit it’s such a genius idea.
I know many ppl with series S and only a few with the X...the power narrative really was only one for the hardcore who often push the perception...but the actual box of he S was for the every day person. My gf or father dgaf about 4k, especially when most games on the x barely hitting 4k 60...but I love my X. best console I ever owned.

I'll wait for the official figures, thanks. I'm sure Xbox is doing well, but VGChartz ain't the ones to break that news.
It was not VGChartz they did the estimate numbers but it was actually Phil Spencer himself that break the news
that Xbox Series console are the fastest selling Xbox console to date

"During the interview, Spencer stated, "At this point, we've sold more of this generation of Xboxes, which is Xbox Series X and S, than we had any previous version of Xboxes." It's still difficult to find Xbox Series X or Series S reliably in stock practically anywhere in the world, as supply continues to fail to meet overwhelming demand for the new consoles"

Good stuff. 360 sold about 85 million units. If supply constraints improve, it might hit 100 million.

TBH I don't think they'll hit that unless they dramatically improve Xbox brand image in foreign markets. Basically everywhere outside of US & UK, where Sony and Nintendo are way more popular.

Or if they bring out a 3rd model that's even cheaper than the S, they can lump that in with S & X and assuming they do everything right (including improving brand image in some other markets), they may be able to reach 100 mil. It is a stretch, tho.

Amazing how “hardware sales is not an important metric” immediately goes by the wayside the moment a narrative and perception wants to be pushed.

This is what's irritated me with some of the Xbox content channels; now they're weaponizing the sales gains for Series X against PS5. There's been some real clickbaiting, console-warring garbage from some of those channels and all I can think of is that for their sake they better hope the trend continues long-term.

Which it most likely won't, historically speaking. Some people are acting surprised PS5 gets outsold some months but it already happened in NA a couple times before this, and previous PS systems were outsold quite a few months by systems they otherwise outsold overall. The N64 had multiple months in NA where it outsold PS1, so seeing MS have a few months outselling Sony in a territory like that isn't really surprising news or says anything about demand (or that much about demand, IMO).

If it's a longer-term thing like with 360, then that's probably when some of these current narratives can actually be said, and Sony might need to seriously consider some changes. But that's also dependent on them starting to have supply meeting the demand, which probably won't happen for a while still. But otherwise yeah it is hilarious to see some people now using hardware sales numbers again as a metric when previously they avoided it.

Get going how? Make PS5 chips out of wood? They're aiming ahead to get 6nm chips as well, but they can't really do more than what they're doing. If anything, it's SIE's highest priority to make as much PS5's as possible.

They can pass PS2 sales because we're now more "acceptant" to owning more than one console in one home. Heck, I'm seriously planning to buy a pink PS5 to my 3.5yo daughter so she can leave me in peace and play her Astrobot "AKA Robot!".

Man, I don't know if they can beat PS2 numbers if I'm being honest. That was a whole different market back then, plus I think PS2 sold some 50 million after PS3 released and most of those were in non-primary markets?

Who knows, maybe PSVR2 blows up and that helps propel PS5 sales even further. Maybe Sony can get a PS5 Digital edition out sooner rather than later they can aggressively price at $299 in a couple of years or something. I think they'd need at least one major market that for them is like what Japan has been like for the Switch: an unquestionable show of force for the brand versus competitors.

But I don't really know if Sony can manage that this gen in NA especially once Microsoft's 1P starts actually rolling out regularly (and assuming at least most of it is pretty good). Europe could probably be such a market but Xbox making gains in those countries kind of challenges that, and again like in NA the Switch is very popular in Europe as well. So I'm guessing that mainly leaves China as the big growth market, which has a lot of its own complications. India maybe, but we already know how little consoles sell over there (mobile is much bigger there; portables are probably very popular there too). Outside of that they'd need to see substantial gains in all of the other ROTW markets combined to break PS2 hardware numbers.

Just keep in mind tho PS2, IIRC, it sold some 50 million after PS3's launch, so really as long as Sony can maintain pace with PS1, PS2 and PS4 (which all sold about 100 million or so before the next PlayStation came out, particularly PS4 before PS5) they should see overall gains in division revenue as unit install base isn't contracting. It's how they position PS5 once PS6 arrives, that's going to really determine if they break PS2 LTD and we are very far away from knowing what that will look like.

As for Xbox (you didn't ask about this but just throwing a guess in there anyway), long as they don't have any RROD type situation and if Series remain the main way of growing GamePass, and if they actually do make a "streaming stick" soon (prob not gonna be a stick), they might be able to do 80 - 100 million themselves if I'm being honest. But that's going to be split between at least three different SKUs with way different performance specs each, so it might be a bit unfair comparing that to PS5 numbers unless you broke it down by the actual model (Series X, Series S, etc.), which Microsoft will probably never do themselves.

If they only had Series X or Series S, their LTD would probably be closer to 60 - 70 million max, assuming they did everything right. Which is probably like 10 million short of what 360's would've been in actuality if there weren't a lot of people who rebought systems due to RROD.

Vognerful

I don't know why people take it that PS3 "won" that generation, when from Sony point of view, they lost 50% market share to xbox and it wiped all their profits from ps1 & 2 gen.

Didn't it also outsell xbox360 in like, 2017?

I think they would be consistent if they were not retweeting VGChartz (of all sites) talking about sales. And I didn't call them liars at all. Just as I didn't make any comment about how well Series is selling.
I said if it makes you feel better to call them liars you could. Which could be implied if a person chooses to not believe anything VGChartz states. It's totally possible Greenberg is simply agreeing with the sentiment that the X Series is performing better than 360 not that VGChartz specifically is 100% accurate.

MS isn't announcing sales of their other products we KNOW sell well so why expect them to make an exception here especially if they haven't made a console sales announcement in years? Being honest console sales numbers are pretty much just used for fanboy console war fodder with one side cheering Xbox sales and the other hoping home console withdrawal announcement is incoming.

Topher

Gold Member
I said if it makes you feel better to call them liars you could. Which could be implied if a person chooses to not believe anything VGChartz states. It's totally possible Greenberg is simply agreeing with the sentiment that the X Series is performing better than 360 not that VGChartz specifically is 100% accurate.

MS isn't announcing sales of their other products we KNOW sell well so why expect them to make an exception here especially if they haven't made a console sales announcement in years? Being honest console sales numbers are pretty much just used for fanboy console war fodder with one side cheering Xbox sales and the other hoping home console withdrawal announcement is incoming.

I don't see MS PR reps of their other products retweeting sales from notoriously unreliable sources either. It was a stupid tweet, but that's Greenberg for you.

I don't see MS PR reps of their other products retweeting sales from notoriously unreliable sources either. It was a stupid tweet, but that's Greenberg for you.
If there is a more reliable console sale site, knowing MS doesn't release the internal sales figures of any other their other products, Greenberg certainly should have used that. Do you have a more reputable console sales site we should all use? We could tweet Greenberg to use that one instead.

Topher

Gold Member
If there is a more reliable console sale site, knowing MS doesn't release the internal sales figures of any other their other products, Greenberg certainly should have used that. Do you have a more reputable console sales site we should all use? We could tweet Greenberg to use that one instead.

Why would Microsoft rely on any external site when they have the numbers themselves? They have released numbers before. They can do it again.

If they don't want to talk about console sales numbers though then the answer is really simple....

Stfu GIF by MOODMAN

Last edited:
Top Bottom