• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

17 months after launch, Xbox Series X/S is on track to outsell Xbox 360

reksveks

Giving them a platform and air of reputability through reporting them as real source, can be though.
I've personally had executives in companies quote VGChartz numbers back at me - like they were a real source in vein of NPD, without a hint of sarcasm intended. Granted that's not as bad as going on twitter about it - but point stands, 'industry insiders' are highly susceptible here too, on any level.
Think that's an issue with those companies executives largely
I
Admittedly - the main damage is to legit tracking outlets, but it harms industry as a whole because Games, unlike many other entertainment branches, does not report real numbers on its own, so the more 'alternate facts' reality is established that legit businesses then have to contend with, the more it perpetuates the misinformation in the industry as a whole. So yes - signal boosting vgchartz is a net-negative and prolific twitters are absolutely part of the problem if they are propagating the effect.
I am still not sure that it's a really big issue because we have trusted sources of data in npd/gfk/gsd/media create.

It might be a negative (I agree with that) but it's an inconsequential one imo. Think the larger issue is that fanboys/youtube clout chasers have sadly become a larger part of the discourses.

Topher

Gold Member
I am still not sure that it's a really big issue because we have trusted sources of data in npd/gfk/gsd/media create.

That's a crucial point, imo. The only valid source of data on a worldwide basis is the console makers themselves. Outside of that, only those regional analysts you reference have actual sources to pull from as far as unit sales are concerned. The network of data points required for a third party to cover unit sales for the entire planet is unfathomable.

Last edited:

MonarchJT

Banned
If we're going by that logic, didn't 360 inflated sales do to poor productions quality, AKA RROD, and here in non-xbox countries, and you should remember it, that xbox games were pirated and sold for $1.3-2.6 dollars each like PS2-PS1 due to DVD tech?

From profit point of view, you might end up having PS3 more profitable than Xbox360 as well by a large margin.

29,000 pirated Xbox games seized in UAE​

In Oman, no one gave a rat ass about it due to lack of Microsoft presence in general and Xbox officially.
no, Sony PS3 is the console the lost more money, probably in the history of this industry and also the sales were highly inflatad by the possibility to hack the console just via software for free to play downloaded games. There was not a single friend of mine (I'm talking about 15/20 persons) that was paying a dime to buy games in that period and i suppose that in poor countries it was even worst than this because they was buying second hand hw and hack the console

Last edited:

Jaybe

Gold Member
The machine is a no-brainer upgrade purchase for anyone that was in the Xbox ecosystem. They have done great work with backwards compatibility. I think if Xbox One was launched with BC in place or at least telegraphed that it was coming, it would have done a decent amount better.

Topher

Gold Member
The machine is a no-brainer upgrade purchase for anyone that was in the Xbox ecosystem. They have done great work with backwards compatibility. I think if Xbox One was launched with BC in place or at least telegraphed that it was coming, it would have done a decent amount better.

It would have helped, but that $500 price tag for a bundled Kinect few wanted and graphical performance that lagged noticeably behind was a major drag. The horrible PR surrounding DRM and used games certainly didn't help either.

If Xbox One had they same design concepts that Xbox Series X has (no gimmicks, very capable, powerful console) then last gen could have been a much different story.

💯

I remember being in a Best Buy in late 2015ish & having a conversation with someone who was trading in their 360 because of BC & someone listening to us decided on the spot to grab one bc he didn’t even know about the feature. That single interaction convinced me MS had not handled hyping BC up nearly well enough & that it was 3 years too late (assuming best case would have been to begin hyping it a year PRIOR to the Xbox One launch) to have an appreciable effect on that generation. That said, I feel like it has become a staple of the ecosystem at this point, a strong pillar in the foundation & really has helped turn around the image of the brand from the disaster Xbone launch…

Last edited:

Fafalada

Fafracer forever
Think that's an issue with those companies executives largely
The point is people legitimize a source, it gets used as legitimate, on any level.
Debating that humans should be immune to such adversarial attacks is irrelevant - that's like blaming continued phishing scams on the victims. Sure - if all people stopped falling for them, those scammers would be out of a job, but that's not addressing the core issue.

We barely do nowadays - the source availability has been drastically clamped down in recent decade, and on top of it so much more of the business has migrated into new models that even fewer companies report on publicly. It's perhaps part of the reason why VGChartz has proliferated for so long - it's filling a gap in the market, even if it's with irrelevant/bad data.

Think the larger issue is that fanboys/youtube clout chasers have sadly become a larger part of the discourses.
That may be true as well - the online discourse (and its associated toxicity) is another reason that wheel keeps turning of course.

ace ventura deal with it GIF

I'm dealing. Greenberg chimes in when Vgchartz is off base and when they are on the mark. Consistent just like MS not reporting numbers of any of their products. By looks of things the X Series is doing better than 360 and that's pretty good news indeed.

Vcm7mTk.gif

Xbox thread?
ethomaz should be in here........damn I was way too slow.

It’s funnier because he is shitting on VGChartz, when he used to be a heavy poster there and believer in their numbers and work. He only changed after they permabanned him for being a massive Sony shill there 😆

As for the thread, good for MS. I highly doubt VGC has completely accurate numbers but it still makes for good discussion.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm dealing. Greenberg chimes in when Vgchartz is off base and when they are on the mark. Consistent just like MS not reporting numbers of any of their products. By looks of things the X Series is doing better than 360 and that's pretty good news indeed.

Vcm7mTk.gif
Greenberg did more than just say they were offbase. He utterly destroyed them as a source. I’ll agree to disagree on his consistency.

But yes it is very cool that Xbox is doing extremely well this gen.

Last edited:
Series is ahead of 360 and seems to be keeping that momentum in its 2nd year going and all they need to do is drop S to $200 to get a second breath of life in a year or two if/when they think sales are stagnating.
My point is even the worst Xbox, Xbox One, was ahead of the X360 for the first 3 years. It does not tell us much.
If Series X|S can stay ahead of X360 in the years 5 and 6, that would be super impressive.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I'm dealing. Greenberg chimes in when Vgchartz is off base and when they are on the mark.
That is an interesting way of spinning the “promote when convenient to you, shit on them when they give numbers that make the competition look better” angle… so coincidental that everyone VGChart is off base to him it is when they do not help to promote his brand… 🤔. I am not sure you believe yourself here 😏.

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Why does Ya Boy Koming fella keep appearing in this thread? I thought this was a celebration of the fine art of PR bullshittery from one of its greatest proponents.

Greenberg did more than just say they were offbase. He utterly destroyed them as a source. I’ll agree to disagree on his consistency.

But yes it is very cool that Xbox is doing extremely well this gen.
It was also 12 or so years ago. Have you ever made a mistake before? Do you think you'll ever be capable of being right again? Let's judge VGChartz based on their current work. Perhaps they have improved their methodology over the last decade.

Yes we can agree MS is doing better than last generation for sure. 👍🏾

MC68000

Wow. This thread is a dumpster fire. When threads like this go off the rails, I wish mods would start locking them quicker. Multiple pages of bickering and shit posting. It ruins the board. I think handing out bans, on both sides, is in order.

Topher

Gold Member
It was also 12 or so years ago. Have you ever made a mistake before? Do you think you'll ever be capable of being right again? Let's judge VGChartz based on their current work. Perhaps they have improved their methodology over the last decade.

Yes we can agree MS is doing better than last generation for sure. 👍🏾

VGC is no more reliable now than 12 years ago. The mistake is continuing to cite them as a resource. Thankfully, we don't need VGC as proof that Xbox S|X are doing extremely well.

FrankWza

Gold Member
Wow. This thread is a dumpster fire. When threads like this go off the rails, I wish mods would start locking them quicker. Multiple pages of bickering and shit posting. It ruins the board. I think handing out bans, on both sides, is in order.
Why? I keep seeing this and it’s starting to become a trend here. As soon as context is added that contradicts the cheerleading we have to rush to close the thread. It shouldn’t have been made to begin with and none of the first few posts had an issue with trying to brag. The word momentum appeared a few times and it turns out the Xbox one was omitted for a reason. Now that it’s being pointed out it has to close though.

MC68000

Why? I keep seeing this and it’s starting to become a trend here. As soon as context is added that contradicts the cheerleading we have to rush to close the thread. It shouldn’t have been made to begin with and none of the first few posts had an issue with trying to brag. The word momentum appeared a few times and it turns out the Xbox one was omitted for a reason. Now that it’s being pointed out it has to close though.
You cant honestly tell me that 80% or even 60% of the posts in this thread are insightful or add value. The real trend is, most threads are becoming unbearable to read and are not useful or entertaining at all. The mods had it under control for a while but it looks like the inmates are taking control of the asylum again.

Belthazar

Vgchartz so... Basically speculation and wishful thinking? Microsoft should release actual numbers for those things

Belthazar

And the thing is, vgchartz is even known to go back and change their numbers (and their previous articles) after actual sales data is available so... No, they haven't got better they just improved the way they hide their mistakes.

ManaByte

And the thing is, vgchartz is even known to go back and change their numbers (and their previous articles) after actual sales data is available so... No, they haven't got better they just improved the way they hide their mistakes.
They’ve always done that.

Topher

Gold Member
Former poster here. But it’s true.

Nah...that is just one of the hazards of being on twitter. Twitter folk have a long memory. Either way, I'm sure Aaron Greenberg has dealt with worse than this and I'm certainly not going to cry for him as he is paid quite well as a corporate executive, literally for the words he uses.

solidus12

Guys, what are your thoughts on the Xbox youtuber Colteastwood?

He's been tweeting some interesting stuff as well as making some videos in which he says that Xbox is already the new market leader and that they are dominating in sales and soon they will have the most games.

Is there any truth to that?

Is he really a neutral or just another fanboy?

Last edited:

Kokoloko85

X1 was still (barely) ahead afaik.
360 actually had one of the slower starts on the market - it narrowly beat PS1s first year, but was behind PS2, PS3, heck even the PSP I think.

Yeah X1 basically did the same as what XseriesX/S is doing after 17 months. Both at around 13 million

VGC is no more reliable now than 12 years ago. The mistake is continuing to cite them as a resource. Thankfully, we don't need VGC as proof that Xbox S|X are doing extremely well.
Basing this on what? You check their current methodologies to confirm this? Once wrong always wrong isn't a sound philosophy.

Topher

Gold Member
Basing this on what? You check their current methodologies to confirm this? Once wrong always wrong isn't a sound philosophy.

Based on recent events that reminded me what I already know.

But if you would like to correct Zhuge by explaining how their methods have changed over the years to ensure that their worldwide sales numbers are accurate then please do.

Last edited:

solidus12

He's right on some things wrong on others like most people. I doubt the Xbox is the market leader currently but he's gotten other aspects about the system right.
I used to watch his content, and he said stuff like the PS5 won't be capable of doing ray-tracing like Xbox Series X, instead PS5 would rely on SSR.
He also has a console warrior attitude, calling horizon, Forgotten West and downplaying games like God of War, while praison Crackdown 3.

That's when I stopped watching his crap and figured he was just an Xbox console warrior pretending to be a neutral.

Last edited:

dcmk7

Banned
Guys, what are your thoughts on the Xbox youtuber Colteastwood?

He's been tweeting some interesting stuff as well as making some videos in which he says that Xbox is already the new market leader and that they are dominating in sales and soon they will have the most games.

Is there any truth to that?

Is he really a neutral or just another fanboy?
He's a spectacular idiot tbh.

As big a fanboy as you will ever see.

ManaByte

Thank you for that, very interesting, I guess Xbox one did better than expected originally.
The media was still totally on the Xbox One side at launch due to the 360 being the big console the previous generation and that console bringing in the most ad money. Sites like Polygon were spreading PS4 FUD in their launch streams, like claiming the PS4 couldn’t use a remote control and grandma would want an Xbox more due to that.

solidus12

The media was still totally on the Xbox One side at launch due to the 360 being the big console the previous generation and that console bringing in the most ad money. Sites like Polygon were spreading PS4 FUD in their launch streams, like claiming the PS4 couldn’t use a remote control and grandma would want an Xbox more due to that.
I remeber that, there were also a lot of other articles stating "xbox is poised to dominate next generation"
Also, let's not forget the FUD about PS5 overheating, difficulty running games (RE Village) last minute overclocking etc...

Top Bottom