• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2014 FIFA World Cup Final |OT| Germany defeats Argentina 1-0 after extra time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
just saw this lol

10409483_419429171531612_860176626927871011_n.jpg

Madness

I think Germany is the overall better team, but Messi is arguably the best or one of the best footballers in the world. If he wins this, he'll be a God in Argentina, I mean success at the international level is all that has really eluded him.

Either way, hope to see some amazing "Soccer"!

Binabik15

I just want to see grown men cry. Since I'm not going to a public viewing event here in Germany, tv footage of crying Argentinians will have to do.

Too bad I don't have a Müllermich to toast a German win.

PatBot

I haven't decided yet which team i am going to support. Try to persuade me to your side German and Argentina fans!

- Messi is Goat allready with or without the trophy

- Germany without title for 24 years, this does not reflect their performance

- keep the cup in europe!

- newfound dutch-german friendship: help Germany beat those that robbed Holland of their deserved place in the final!

lmbotiva

This game will go to penalties or be decided by 1 goal, some of you people forget Argentina has the best defense in the worldcup, the problem they have is from the midfield onward, yes, they have messi, but he hasn't performed in this worldcup as every football fan was expecting and when he has a moment of brilliance and put a good ball for the strikers they fail, it's gonna be a chess game just like the game against Netherlands and Germany defense is bad, it's good thing they have a great goal keeper, may the best win, viva Colombia HP!

PatBot

While i feel Germany deserves the title, an Argentina world cup win in Brazil would be hilarious.

Brazil is already on the floor bleeding after two heavy knockouts, they have learned their lesson, no need to tread on them even more.

Brazil has been a great host nation with friendly people, I would´nt want to see them humiliated any further.

I don't think I can wake up for 3am just for this considering it is my prelim exams week. Although I'm still wondering why ARG - BRA have a rivalry?

Qvoth

What's the equivalent of Paul the prophet octopus of the previous world cup? What does it say on who will win? Any other creature every reached Paul's level of accuracy? I think it was 100%?

Linius

- Messi is Goat allready with or without the trophy

- Germany without title for 24 years, this does not reflect their performance

- keep the cup in europe!

- newfound dutch-german friendship: help Germany beat those that robbed Holland of their deserved place in the final!

That kind of self pity won't have it's effect on Dutch people. How do you think we must feel without a single trophy ever? :p

Even though Germany humiliated my favorite team(Brazil) I gotta respect them for doing it cause they could.

They've always been my 2nd favorite and definitely the team I root for in the Euro cup. And after 12 years of getting so close and either choking(06 and 2010) or being beaten by a better team(02) I can't help but root for them to take it all.

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Even though Germany humiliated my favorite team(Brazil) I gotta respect them for doing it cause they could.

They've always been my 2nd favorite and definitely the team I root for in the Euro cup. And after 12 years of getting so close and either choking(06 and 2010) or being beaten by a better team(02) I can't help but root for them to take it all.

they were beaten by a better team in both 2006 and 2010 as well.

Roland1979

Germany is absolutely favorite but the last days i really get the feeling a lot of people really believe that it's as good as won. That Germany will have their easy win. Maybe. I know most are just trash talking and having fun with it, but some are serious and going by their predictions of 3 or 4 goals from Germany... Also depends on how Argentina will play. If it will play super defensive it's going to get tough no matter what. Then there's Messi, fast counters and luck. I expect Germany to win. But i wouldn't be surprised if a finalist wins from another finalist. It would also really surprise me if we get to see another big score, over 2 goals for one team (unless a very early goal happens, then maybe 3, 4) Either way, finals hype. Final Fight.

soepje

It will be weird but i'm going to try to cheer for Germany tonight. They deserve it.

Little anecdote:
In 2010 i watched the Uruguay - Germany game on a big screen at some vacation resort here in The Netherlands. There where only a few Germans present, but most of us where fellow Dutchies.
When Germany scored their first goal those few Germans where cheering while the rest stayed pretty quiet. But the moment Uruguay scored their first goal everyone else started to cheer simultaneously in an almost ecstatic manner as if it was Holland making the goal. I'll never forget the look on the faces of those poor German visitors when that happened :p. It almost made me feel bad a little.

Lol. That German team was mediocre at best and only made it that far because of 1. home advantage 2. being German

Suuuuuuuure.

That Italian team had a lot of players in their prime, but man was that game them losing it more than Italy being a better team. I guess we can agree to disagree, as my memory is shaky and I don't really care enough to make a long winded post explaining what I think.

It will be weird but i'm going to try to cheer for Germany tonight. They deserve it.

Little anecdote:
In 2010 i watched the Uruguay - Germany game on a big screen at some vacation resort here in The Netherlands. There where only a few Germans present, but most of us where fellow Dutchies.
When Germany scored their first goal those few Germans where cheering while the rest stayed pretty quiet. But the moment Uruguay scored their first goal everyone else started to cheer simultaneously in an almost ecstatic manner as if it was Holland making the goal. I'll never forget the look on the faces of those poor German visitors when that happened :p. It almost made me feel bad a little.

The Third place game? Really?

John Dunbar

correct about everything
Suuuuuuuure.

That Italian team had a lot of players in their prime, but man was that game them losing it more than Italy being a better team. I guess we can agree to disagree, as my memory is shaky and I don't really care enough to make a long winded post explaining what I think.

italy was brilliant through the entire tournament. they also conceded only two goals, one was an own goal and the other was a penalty. there is no doubt that they were the best team that year.

Suuuuuuuure.

My memory is not shaky and it wasn't. Two goals to nil, two posts hit to zero, and simply a better team performance from Italy. Sure, it was an even match (as a World Cup semifinal is supposed to be, 7-1 are rare occurances thankfully), but Italy were a better team both on paper and on the pitch.

Pls just look at Germany's squad and compare it with Italy's or France's. Young Schweinsteiger and Lahm, Ballack and a bunch of mediocre players, had they won that World Cup it would have easily been the worst team ever to do so.

edit: this is from an article from the Guardian I found by googling news about the match, written in 2006 of course

Even so, Lippi's team had shown that the host nation's footballers had been functioning gloriously beyond their true level. Determination alone could not make the Germany players the equal of stars that Italy and others brought to the World Cup. It took a mixture of camaraderie, organisation and the urgings of home crowds to get them this far.

italy was brilliant through the entire tournament. they also conceded only two goals, one was an own goal and the other was a penalty. there is no doubt that they were the best team that year.

I guess you're right. It was a long time ago and my personal hatred for the italian national team(despite Inter being my club team of choice) probably clouded my memory.

Pls just look at Germany's squad and compare it with Italy's or France's. Young Schweinsteiger and Lahm, Ballack and a bunch of mediocre players, had they won that World Cup it would have easily been the worst team ever to do so.

OK, you lost me here. First you're talking about overperforming and now this? Please, I'm sure there have been worse teams to get that far. And giving that German team that performed very, very well throughout that entire tournament, home advantage or not, a dubious honor such as that is a little too much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom