• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2015/2016 UEFA Champions League Final |OT| Real Madrid vs Atletico de Madrid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tubie

Final-2016-Mil%C3%A1n-UEFA-Champions-League.jpg

aOMQgMZ.jpg

Match Details

Date: 05/28/2016
Time: 20:45 CET / 02:45 PM EST

Where to Watch

This link shows where you can watch the game in your region.

About the Champions League

The UEFA Champions League is an annual continental club football competition organized by the Union of European Football Associations (UEFA) and contested by top-division European clubs. It is one of the most prestigious tournaments in the world and the most prestigious club competition in European football, played by the national league champion (and, for some nations, one or more runners-up) of each UEFA national association. The final of the 2012–13 tournament was the most watched UEFA Champions League final to date, as well as the most watched annual sporting event worldwide in 2013, drawing 360 million television viewers.

Introduced in 1992, the competition replaced the European Champion Clubs' Cup, or simply European Cup, which had run since 1955, adding a group stage to the competition and allowing multiple entrants from certain countries. The pre-1992 competition was initially a straight knockout tournament open only to the champion club of each country. During the 1990s, the format was expanded, incorporating a round-robin group stage to include clubs that finished runner-up of some nations' top level league. While most of Europe's national leagues can still only enter their national league champion, Europe's strongest national leagues now provide up to four teams for the competition, and will provide up to five teams from the 2015–16 season onwards. Clubs that finish next-in-line in each nation's top level league, having not qualified for the UEFA Champions League competition, may be eligible for the next level UEFA Europa League competition.

In its present format, the UEFA Champions League begins in mid-July with three knockout qualifying rounds and a play-off round. The 10 surviving teams enter the group stage, joining 22 other teams qualified in advance. The 32 teams are drawn into eight groups of four teams and play each other in a double round-robin system. The eight group winners and eight runners-up proceed to the knockout phase that culminates with the final match in May. The winner of the UEFA Champions League qualifies for the UEFA Super Cup and the FIFA Club World Cup.

&NCS_modified=20160415134227&MaxW=640&imageVersion=default&AR-160419341.jpg

The Teams

Club Atlético de Madrid, commonly known as Atlético Madrid, or simply as Atlético, is a Spanish professional football club based in Madrid, that plays in La Liga.

In terms of UEFA competition titles won, Atlético Madrid is Spain's 3rd most successful club behind Real Madrid and Barcelona. In terms of the number of titles, Atlético Madrid is the fourth most successful club in Spanish football, behind Real Madrid, Barcelona and Athletic Bilbao. Atlético have won La Liga on ten occasions, including a league and cup double in 1996; the Copa del Rey on ten occasions; two Supercopas de España and one Copa Eva Duarte; in Europe, they won the European Cup Winners' Cup in 1962, were runners-up in 1963 and 1986, were European Cup runners-up in 1974 and 2014, won the Europa League in 2010 and in 2012, won the UEFA Super Cup in 2010 and 2012, as well as the 1974 Intercontinental Cup.

200px-Atletico_Madrid_logo.svg.png

vRArrjM.png

Real Madrid Club de Fútbol, commonly known as Real Madrid, or simply as Real, is a professional football club based in Madrid, Spain.

Founded in 1902 as Madrid Football Club, the team has traditionally worn a white home kit since inception. The word Real is Spanish for Royal and was bestowed to the club by King Alfonso XIII in 1920 together with the royal crown in the emblem. The team has played its home matches in the 85,454-capacity Santiago Bernabéu Stadium in downtown Madrid since 1947. Unlike most European sporting entities, Real Madrid's members (socios) have owned and operated the club throughout its history.

The club is the most valuable sports team in the world, worth €2.5 billion ($3.4 billion) and the world's highest-earning football club for 2013–14, with an annual revenue of €549.5 million. The club is one of the most widely supported teams in the world. Real Madrid is one of three founding members of the Primera División that have never been relegated from the top division, along with Athletic Bilbao and Barcelona. The club holds many long-standing rivalries, most notably El Clásico with Barcelona and the El Derbi madrileño with Atlético Madrid.

Real Madrid established itself as a major force in both Spanish and European football during the 1950s. The club won five consecutive European Cups, and reached the final seven times. This success was replicated in the league, where the club won five times in the space of seven years. This team, which consisted of players such as Di Stéfano, Ferenc Puskás, Gento, Raymond Kopa, and Santamaría, is considered by some in the sport to be the greatest team of all time.

In domestic football, the club has won a record 32 La Liga titles, 19 Copa del Rey, 9 Supercopa de España, 1 Copa Eva Duarte, and 1 Copa de la Liga. In international football, the club has won a record 10 European Cup/UEFA Champions League titles and a joint record 3 Intercontinental Cups, as well as 2 UEFA Cups, 2 UEFA Super Cups and a FIFA Club World Cup.

Real Madrid was recognized as the FIFA Club of the 20th Century on 23 December 2000, and named Best European Club of the 20th Century by the IFFHS on 11 May 2010. The club received the FIFA Centennial Order of Merit in 2004. The club is ranked first in the latest IFFHS Club World Ranking, setting a new ranking-points record. The club also leads the current UEFA club rankings.

200px-Real_Madrid_CF.svg.png

YPlM4Xi.png

Venue

The Stadio Giuseppe Meazza, commonly known as San Siro, is a football stadium in the San Siro district of Milan, Italy, which is the home of A.C. Milan and Inter Milan. It has an all-seater capacity of 80,018, making it one of the largest stadiums in Europe, and the largest in Italy.

On 3 March 1980, the stadium was named in honour of Giuseppe Meazza, the two-time World Cup winner (1934, 1938) who played for Inter Milan and briefly for Milan in the 1920s, 1930s and 1940s.

The San Siro is a UEFA category four stadium. It hosted six games at the 1990 FIFA World Cup and three European Cup finals, in 1965, 1970 and 2001, and will host the 2016 UEFA Champions League Final.

stadio-esterno-giorno.jpg

13558971-The-San-Siro-stadium-during-an-AC-Milan-football-game-Stock-Photo.jpg

Road to the Final

finalpath2016.png

LLFLTMk.png

This final will be the sixth tournament final to feature two teams from the same association, the third all-Spanish final, and the second between teams from the same city, fielding exactly the two teams that faced each other in the 2014 final, making it the seventh repeated final pairing. The all-Madrid final also guaranteed Madrid becoming the most successful city in the European Cup with 11 wins and 17 final appearances, and also in all UEFA club competitions with 16 wins, overtaking Milan with 10 wins and 16 final appearances in the European Cup and 15 wins in all UEFA club competitions.

Real Madrid reached a record 14th final after a 1–0 aggregate win against Manchester City, with a chance to win a record 11th title. Previously they won finals in 1956, 1957, 1958, 1959, 1960, 1966, 1998, 2000, 2002, and 2014, and lost in 1962, 1964, and 1981. This was also their 18th final in all UEFA club competitions, having also played in two Cup Winners' Cup finals (losing in 1971 and 1983) and two UEFA Cup finals (winning in 1985 and 1986). Their manager, Zinedine Zidane, who scored the winning goal for Real Madrid in the 2002 final, has the chance to become the seventh man to win the Champions League as both player and manager, joining Miguel Muñoz, Giovanni Trapattoni, Johan Cruyff, Carlo Ancelotti, Frank Rijkaard, and Pep Guardiola.

Atlético Madrid reached their third European Cup final after defeating Bayern Munich on away goals (2–2 on aggregate). Their previous two European Cup finals in 1974 and 2014 both ended in defeats, to their semi-final and final opponents Bayern Munich and Real Madrid respectively. Atlético Madrid have also played in three Cup Winners' Cup finals (winning in 1962, and losing in 1963 and 1986) and two Europa League finals (winning in 2010 and 2012), with their most recent Europa League triumph in 2012 led by current coach Diego Simeone. He has the chance to join fellow Argentinians Luis Carniglia and Helenio Herrera as the only non-European coaches to win the European Cup/Champions League. If they win the Champions League, they will join Juventus, Ajax, Bayern Munich, and Chelsea as clubs to have won the three main European club competitions.

Apart from the 2014 final, won by Real Madrid 4–1 after extra time, the only previous Madrid Derby matches in European competitions were in the 1958–59 European Cup semi-finals, where Real Madrid won 2–1 in a replay, after a 2–2 aggregate draw, and in the 2014–15 UEFA Champions League quarter-finals, where Real Madrid won 1–0 on aggregate.

As a Barcelona Fan, I am conflicted.

Just give me a good game. I want 6 goals, 3 reds, Semione sent off for punching somebody, and penalties.

Also good luck Ref, your gonna need it

Real Madrid gonna win this easily.

Clattenbur doesn't have the balls to not call in favour of the bigger name team.

Every game I have seen this guy do has been a farce.

Tubie

I'm not so sure we can beat Atletico. They will be hungry for revenge from that devastating loss to us in 2014.

It will be a very tough game for the ref, that's for sure.

clemenx

Banned
Please Cristiano score like 5 goals.

I've grown to love him kinda to counteract the all bullshint underserved hate he gets. He's awesome.

Diabelli

I mean, Real Madrid are so far ahead of everyone else in the trophy count, what's one more? That said, what Simeone has done with Atletico (whether you enjoy their style of play or not) is pretty damn amazing, and two finals in three years is a great achievement. What with the way they lost hold of the last final in injury time, I'll be rooting for Atletico. As a United fan, I know how it feels to lose two finals in the space of three years, and it's a shit feeling. I wouldn't bet against this going all the way to penalties with a low scoring draw.

Pus Atletico have beaten Barca and Bayern to get to the final, and they fucking deserve it just by getting past those two juggernauts. Real's road to the final has been far easier.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I want Real to win. I hope they will win. But this season Atletico has played very well and sent out Barcelona and Bayern. So if they win they will have deserved it and I won't be too upset.

Swag

Hoping for an athletico win, they had a harder route to the final. Not a big fan of their style of play though

Brinbe

Great job with the OP. Rooting for Atleti to win it all. I love Simeone's constant press and the way he has his players go all out. Amazing to watch.

I'd prefer atletico to win it but I think it's safe to say real will win

Safe? Ignoring looking at CL meetings in isolation, you do realise Atletico have always been the superior team in meetings between the 2 in the past few years?

And they've just knocked out Barca and Bayern whereas Real limped past Wolfsburg and City.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Why does La Liga produce such good teams? I mean, you could write off Real Madrid and Barca as just having a money advantage, but even the mid-league Spanish teams that are poorer than English or German equivalents are still so good. It's pretty baffling.

jelly

Hoping for Ronaldo tears.

The ref will have to be very forgiving, this tie will be nasty and he has usually tried very hard to keep all players on the pitch recently but don't think he will hold back if there is some really bad stuff. I expect a red card or two and pens.

RangerX

Banned
I think athletico will nick it this time. They just need to keep ronaldo and bale contained which is easier said then done obviously. With their defensive discipline though and greizeman nicking a goal or two I think they'll just about do it.

Why does La Liga produce such good teams? I mean, you could write off Real Madrid and Barca as just having a money advantage, but even the mid-league Spanish teams that are poorer than English or German equivalents are still so good. It's pretty baffling.

Because they also produce new talent every year instead of just buying it. That's why La Liga is by far the best european league.

Pachimari

HALA MADRID guys!

Let's do this. Let's wash away the La Decima and forget about the memories of my ex-girlfriend, by winning this Saturday!

Vamos Real!

[edit]
Cristiano Ronaldo had to leave training today after a collision with Casilla. I hope his injury hasn't come back. Varane won't be available as well.

... Okay my iPad is correcting Cristiano to Christianity, and Varane to Caramel..

Tubie

HALA MADRID guys!

Let's do this. Let's wash away the La Decima and forget about the memories of my ex-girlfriend, by winning this Saturday!

Vamos Real!

[edit]
Cristiano Ronaldo had to leave training today after a collision with Casilla. I hope his injury hasn't come back. Varane won't be available as well.

... Okay my iPad is correcting Cristiano to Christianity, and Varane to Caramel..

It looks like it's nothing, he could be back training tomorrow or the day after.

Kroos, Modric and Casemiro are going to be so clutch this game. That midfield needs to have the game of their life so as to knick one in by the BBC up-front.

Luckily for us, Kroos is peaking just fine and Modric has been amazing as per usual.

This is not going to be easy, but we've shown what we're capable of when we really want to turn things around (2nd clasico) and the Wolfsburg comeback.

Hala Madrid!

Paracelsus

Number of Champions League trophies Atletico had to take down to make it to the final: 12
Number of Champions League trophies Real had to take down to make it to the final: 0
Number of CLs Atletico has to take down to win one title: 22
Number of CLs Real has to take down to win one title: 0

Number of Champions League trophies Atletico had to take down to make it to the final: 12
Number of Champions League trophies Real had to take down to make it to the final: 0
Number of CLs Atletico has to take down to win one title: 22
Number of CLs Real has to take down to win one title: 0

You play who you get.

ronaldoface.png

Mik2121

As a person born and raised in Madrid and not a fan of yearly suffering, I hope Real Madrid wins this!
So great to see both teams on the final, though.

la_briola

Simone is such a cunt, but Real is Real. I'm torn.
May the team that plays better win. If Atleti parks the bus: fuck them.

Dark Rider

I think we will lose this one sadly :(

on the bright side it will still be a spanish win and the cup will be in madrid regardless

faridmon

I just had a dream where Atletico thrashed Real 4-1

Strangely enough, with Saúl Ñíguez scoring 2 and providing 2 assists.

Thats when you know its just a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom