• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 Minutes Video of Redfall released

eh i dont want to hear excuses. Deathloop and Ghostwire i can understand, but Redfall would be releasing almost 3 years after the acquisition in September 2020. An MS exec shouldve gone in, looked at the footage and told them to redo the visuals. The game hadnt even been revealed yet. It took em 10 months to reveal the game in CG form after the acquisition. Tell them it's a freaking exclusive. Put some effort into it. Take some freaking pride in your work.
OK so you literally just have one game left lol... If only it was as easy as "I like the visuals, but make it better" lmao....

Microsoft is going to push the product, leave a shell team for dlc, and move on to what they actually want to do.

Get at me if the next game looks poor

Also throw in the fact that progress isn't shared in co-op. The host continues the story, while the co-op player will still have to re-do those missions.

I guess to add onto that, the enemies only scale to the host.

If that's true that's a huge bummer.

Also I'm really excited for this game, in most years this would be my most hyped game, but 2023 is loaded.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Is this crossgen? Looks a little bland. This is the kind of look of Life is Strange.

I think some devs for games like returnal, deathloop, ghostwire, Arkham city knights and redfall etc just dont want the headache of having to contend with last gen and for business marketing purposes. These games are still made with last gen tools and a component last gen version could probably be done with some cutbacks.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
OK so you literally just have one game left lol... If only it was as easy as "I like the visuals, but make it better" lmao....

Microsoft is going to push the product, leave a shell team for dlc, and move on to what they actually want to do.

Get at me if the next game looks poor
Next game? When does that come out? in 2027? The last year of the generation? I really dont understand why people excuse and shell for these companies. Why defend mediocrity? Have some standards. Or let others have standards and keep playing games that look worse than early gen last gen games.

Next game? When does that come out? in 2027? The last year of the generation? I really dont understand why people excuse and shell for these companies. Why defend mediocrity? Have some standards. Or let others have standards and keep playing games that look worse than early gen last gen games.

You're right, Microsoft should have scrapped literally every Bethesda game under development that Microsoft had quite literally no hand in developing and started over

Big brain thinking dude

"have some standards" is why they delayed starfield and.... Wait for it.... REDFALL

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
This legit looks like the best game from 2009.

It feels like it was made for a different era and I only wish it was just a single player only title. No one here is buying the whole "it has single player, but with friends its better" thing. We clearly know this is a multiplayer title and its core concept is that. Adding in some character saying some shit out loud about the world isn't magically going to make those of us who like single player games, be fooled into thinking its this deep thing.

...this isn't 2009. You can't really fool much gamers with that type of thing and I'd rather they just have it be 100% of what they are aiming for it to be with MP then this half measure.

Sosokrates

Also throw in the fact that progress isn't shared in co-op. The host continues the story, while the co-op player will still have to re-do those missions.

I guess to add onto that, the enemies only scale to the host.
Im sorry, but I would appreciate it if you could point me in the direction where you read/heard this info regarding progress only being saved for the host. Thanks.

Sosokrates

That looks absolutely atrocious. I had hoped that MS buying Bethesda would bring money to these studios who put zero effort into visuals but we simply havent seen that in Deathloop, Ghostwire and now Redfall. Redfall actually manages to somehow look even more dated than the other two. I gasped when i saw the trees and the open world landscape shot. Flashes of early gen PS4 games like Dying Light and Infamous. Hell, I think Infamous and Sunset Overdrive looked better. Starfield makes this game look two gens old.

The gameplay might be good, but again rooted in last gen mechanics, physics and ideas. I am not seeing what makes this a 2023 next gen only title. Players and critics both need to be far harsher on these games going forward.

giphy.gif

A huge Redfall fan here^^^

Last edited:
Im sorry, but I would appreciate it if you could point me in the direction where you read/heard this info regarding progress only being saved for the host. Thanks.

Story progress is only saved for the host, but all other progress is saved across all players. The beauty of being an Xbox first party is 343i already has a solution for this with Halo Infinite that they will be able to share with Arkane eventually.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Critical missions are all designed for single-player, but can indeed be played together if you choose. The whole game is designed around singleplayer based on what they've described, all abilities work in singleplayer mode as well, but they have co-op specific benefits, like being able to share cloaking abilities with your allies. You can sneak up on enemies, listen to their conversations, play with stealth, back off, choose to go elsewhere. I'm glad it's got that singleplayer vibe to it or else I wouldn't be interested.

I'm glad they don't do forced AI comrades if you want to play solo, it's a true solo experience.

Wow! It's almost like those games were over halfway through development when purchased or something

Two of the 3 games aren't even out on Xbox nitwit

They'll give Microsoft credit for anything they feel they can talk bad about and take their credit away from anything that is undeniably good.

clarky

Gold Member
This legit looks like the best game from 2009.

It feels like it was made for a different era and I only wish it was just a single player only title. No one here is buying the whole "it has single player, but with friends its better" thing. We clearly know this is a multiplayer title and its core concept is that. Adding in some character saying some shit out loud about the world isn't magically going to make those of us who like single player games, be fooled into thinking its this deep thing.

...this isn't 2009. You can't really fool much gamers with that type of thing and I'd rather they just have it be 100% of what they are aiming for it to be with MP then this half measure.
Hey you do post! i thought your keyboard only had a big fat laughing emoji on it.

That looks absolutely atrocious. I had hoped that MS buying Bethesda would bring money to these studios who put zero effort into visuals but we simply havent seen that in Deathloop, Ghostwire and now Redfall. Redfall actually manages to somehow look even more dated than the other two. I gasped when i saw the trees and the open world landscape shot. Flashes of early gen PS4 games like Dying Light and Infamous. Hell, I think Infamous and Sunset Overdrive looked better. Starfield makes this game look two gens old.

The gameplay might be good, but again rooted in last gen mechanics, physics and ideas. I am not seeing what makes this a 2023 next gen only title. Players and critics both need to be far harsher on these games going forward.

giphy.gif

The Office Reaction GIF by NETFLIX

I had you on ignore, but I was curious what was said. And, wow, was I ever right to do that. Rooted in "last gen mechanics, physics and ideas." I honestly don't even think you knew what exactly you were trying to say with that one. People know the kinds of games Arkane makes, and they decided to take that formula, combine it with a vampire focused story, an open world and 4 unique and fully customizable characters with their own personal story and upgradeable skill tree of abilities. And while doing this they're also injecting the style of world building and environmental storytelling they've become known for. But due to the crazy premise, the mystery of where it's all headed and the special powers of the various vampires, from the special types, to the under bosses, and to the vampire gods, it has allowed one of the more genuinely creative studios out there to throw some crazy stuff at us.

You're busy trying to score some kind of weird points. Everybody else who is looking forward to the game is just anticipating having a good time.

eh i dont want to hear excuses. Deathloop and Ghostwire i can understand, but Redfall would be releasing almost 3 years after the acquisition in September 2020. An MS exec shouldve gone in, looked at the footage and told them to redo the visuals. The game hadnt even been revealed yet. It took em 10 months to reveal the game in CG form after the acquisition. Tell them it's a freaking exclusive. Put some effort into it. Take some freaking pride in your work.

This one truly takes the cake. Now you're an authority on whether one of the most talented studios in the business take pride in their work. Can you really imagine if they actually took pride in their work? And every bit of this is pre-beta gameplay.

xho2Qqs.png
2lRvC58.png
pVwFeBe.png
bHLEm91.png
VgWbbKB.png
FT7eYsg.png
jLcbMCf.png
t58zpR6.png
MIUnpnQ.png
3202F2f.png
kTfwn9F.png
WRjfnGm.png
VcEli2r.png
wXThJZ1.png

Last edited:

EDMIX

Hey you do post! i thought your keyboard only had a big fat laughing emoji on it.

Will give 10x unit of lolz because of that.

Been keeping a look out on this game to see how it turns out, but it seems like its more MP focused. I'm hoping some footage can show some SP stuff, but it seems like they mean single player, like you can play those maps.......by yourself lol I love the world and was hoping for it to be some deep narrative story thing, but as time went on its clear its a MP title. I guess we just got The Order 1886 for some werewolf vs vampire type thing.

Our only hope for some fleshed out thing now is a reboot of The Order 1886, aka The Order 1886 lol

EDMIX

Rooted in "last gen mechanics, physics and ideas."
yea....here is where I agree with SlimySnake SlimySnake on this one. This concept is very, very last gen, I can't even say last gen ie PS4/XONE, its last, last gen like PS3/360.

Online game, oh it has single player TOO so you get the best of BOTH WORLDS BRO, how could this not fail? /s I have nothing against what their doing, in fact I'll go even further is say I feel better about this game that its even used those dated ideas, they are established, solid and its something they can pull off. This title isn't pretending its redoing the wheel and maybe thats ok. Not everything needs to be the most new, different thing everz. Maybe this makes more sense to be a established idea.
open world and 4 unique and fully customizable characters with their own personal story and upgradeable skill tree of abilities.
Yea, you just described like thousands of games lol Ubisoft out here looking sell you their whole library right now lol

0ca36be035e2c8c79d6af4543c7a6990.jpg

Yo dawg, I heard you like open world games, so we put your ghost recon, inside your skill tree and added in fully customizable characters.
more genuinely creative studios out there to throw some crazy stuff at us.

I'm sure the game will be great for those who want this btw, but I also don't see some massively creative, new concept going on here, just the opposite. I'd never say its safe as its not like the walk into a studio and the game makes itself, but its also not a risky concept, its ideas commonplace in gaming and nothing being shown here is some brand new thing.

Again....I'm even ok with that, but I still see Slimy's point. Tons of games I like that don't reinvent the wheel, if someone tells me its dated, thats ok....that might be the reason I'm fucking playing it in the first place. Its a sound, familiar and recognizable design. I can't argue against Slimy's point if indeed many of those features are legit 2007 gaming ideas. So you can wait and hit me with a "GOTACHA" when you me praising Lumines or dated ass games lol, but i'm not telling you this isn't fun, I'm not telling you this is bad, I'm telling you its dated design as no one here is even telling us a single feature that is some brand new idea, but that shouldn't get in the way of anyone having fun with this games. I play tons of games where I'm more focused on it being a fucking good game, then always desperately looking to point out new "creative" ideas.

This is a creative studio, I can't say this game is that much of a creative game, but thats ok. Its one of the reasons I like this studio as I love that Dishonored felt and played like something ripped right out of 2007......in the best way feasible. Not everything needs to be the most new or most creative or revolunary thing. If this thing is just Left 4 Dead with Vampires and monsters I'm sure many will love it lol If its fun who cares?

The models look dated. The design is old. If its fun, who the fuck cares? You think I only play shit that the models are the best and the design are all new? Slimy has a valid point, but it should never get in the way of you loving this game.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

yea....here is where I agree with SlimySnake SlimySnake on this one. This concept is very, very last gen, I can't even say last gen ie PS4/XONE, its last, last gen like PS3/360.

Online game, oh it has single player TOO so you get the best of BOTH WORLDS BRO, how could this not fail? /s I have nothing against what their doing, in fact I'll go even further is say I feel better about this game that its even used those dated ideas, they are established, solid and its something they can pull off. This title isn't pretending its redoing the wheel and maybe thats ok. Not everything needs to be the most new, different thing everz. Maybe this makes more sense to be a established idea.

Yea, you just described like thousands of games lol Ubisoft out here looking sell you their whole library right now lol

0ca36be035e2c8c79d6af4543c7a6990.jpg

Yo dawg, I heard you like open world games, so we put your ghost recon, inside your skill tree and added in fully customizable characters.

I'm sure the game will be great for those who want this btw, but I also don't see some massively creative, new concept going on here, just the opposite. I'd never say its safe as its not like the walk into a studio and the game makes itself, but its also not a risky concept, its ideas commonplace in gaming and nothing being shown here is some brand new thing.

Again....I'm even ok with that, but I still see Slimy's point. Tons of games I like that don't reinvent the wheel, if someone tells me its dated, thats ok....that might be the reason I'm fucking playing it in the first place. Its a sound, familiar and recognizable design. I can't argue against Slimy's point if indeed many of those features are legit 2007 gaming ideas. So you can wait and hit me with a "GOTACHA" when you me praising Lumines or dated ass games lol, but i'm not telling you this isn't fun, I'm not telling you this is bad, I'm telling you its dated design as no one here is even telling us a single feature that is some brand new idea, but that shouldn't get in the way of anyone having fun with this games. I play tons of games where I'm more focused on it being a fucking good game, then always desperately looking to point out new "creative" ideas.

This is a creative studio, I can't say this game is that much of a creative game, but thats ok. Its one of the reasons I like this studio as I love that Dishonored felt and played like something ripped right out of 2007......in the best way feasible. Not everything needs to be the most new or most creative or revolunary thing. If this thing is just Left 4 Dead with Vampires and monsters I'm sure many will love it lol If its fun who cares?

The models look dated. The design is old. If its fun, who the fuck cares? You think I only play shit that the models are the best and the design are all new? Slimy has a valid point, but it should never get in the way of you loving this game.
Ok we know you and slimeys opinions. Stating your dislike for a game is fine, but lingering in a thread about a game you dont like just to shit talk it is pure trolling. Im not saying you're doing this though.

Super excited for this.

Clockwork soldiers from Dishonoured 2 has to be one of the greatest designed enemies i dealt with.

Hopefully they have similar creative designs, and most importantly sandbox elements.

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Looks effing great. Cannot wait. Wish it was this year. Me and the work buds are dying for a new coop game. This year has sucked....no pun intended.

Gonna be all over this.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Ok we know you and slimeys opinions. Stating your dislike for a game is fine, but lingering in a thread about a game you dont like just to shit talk it is pure trolling. Im not saying you're doing this though.

I never said anything about not liking the game.

I simply agree that its design is dated. I don't see how anyone stating this is "shit talk". I don't say this to bash the game, these ideas are very 2007, 2009 etc, but I'd say that about lots of games doing something like this, I even would go on to say I'm more ok with the title doing this, then trying ot re-invent the wheel or something.

I have nothing against what their doing, in fact I'll go even further is say I feel better about this game that its even used those dated ideas, they are established, solid and its something they can pull off. This title isn't pretending its redoing the wheel and maybe thats ok. Not everything needs to be the most new, different thing everz. Maybe this makes more sense to be a established idea.

So this is very grounded and I'd say that is something I like about it. I simply came to take a peak to see how the open world, single player type stuff is to see if its a buy for me or not, keep in mind even if I don't end up playing this title, I still like that they are doing some PS3, 360 era type concept. I don't think its a bad thing and feel some games should just be as fun as they can be even if that means using those ideas, even if it isn't anything brand new. Maybe we need more of that in gaming btw as everyone keeps trying to focus on this "new, new, new" type vs actual solid fun.

Look at 2042....look at what many are saying regarding that flop. A game that could have been just fine...just fucking being like BF4 or even BF1 as its base concept. So maybe everything doesn't need to be this revolunary thing and we can appreciate a very fun experience, even if its not claiming to do something new thing. So I don't dislike what they are going in that regard.

Ironically that is one of the things I appreciate about this title. Like we know when we see some cult group thing in the oveworld its one of those clear this camp out type thing ala Ubisoft Far Cry....Im ok with that.

Maybe this game is not catering to the "new, new, new" crowd, maybe its catering to those who remember those PS3/360 SP, MP, co-op, online titles fondly. Bioshock, Left 4 Dead, Portal, Team Fortress

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

giphy.gif

The lighting, models and everything,60fps looks massively ahead of sunset overdrive (which I adore) that was a 30fps 900p game. A tiny gif online doesn't fix that.

I simply agree that its design is dated. I don't see how anyone stating this is "shit talk". I don't say this to bash the game, these ideas are very 2007, 2009 etc, but I'd say that about lots of games doing something like this, I even would go on to say I'm more ok with the title doing this, then trying ot re-invent the wheel or something.

I got completely opposite impression from watching the video.

Their concepts are cool but doubt they can pull this off.

Open world setting with different factions that are enemy of each other in a sandbox setting.

Also their concept of vampire is very cool and can lead to deep back story on characters. At least that's what I got a hint of.

Nothing ps360 era about this. Except 4 player coop. Which is apparently what everyone is focusing on, as if it's a bad thing.

March Climber

Gold Member
The lighting, models and everything,60fps looks massively ahead of sunset overdrive (which I adore) that was a 30fps 900p game. A tiny gif online doesn't fix that.
People tend to forget this. It's honestly a miracle what devs have been bringing out considering the switch to 4k resolution + the introduction to ray tracing(two very hardware taxing things) and it's all happening in one generation.

giphy.gif
Not sure what the gif is supposed to prove. Sunset was more colorful? Yeah, I guess.

Here's a screenshot of how the game looked on the Xbox One:

2622803-sunset-overdrive-mugger-od.jpg

For some weird reason, people have been comparing Fortnite to Redfall. Ironically, the above screenshot could be straight from Fortnite.

Last edited:

EDMIX

I wish they hadn't used arkane resources on a co-op.

Same. The more I hear about the town, the narrative...I just wish it was a single player only title. Like you find different survivors and fight off bosses and go to different areas etc.

Their concepts are cool but doubt they can pull this off.

really? I feel this is doable.

Nothing ps360 era about this

nah ,plenty PS360 era going on, destroy some base camp, going many routes the aka "play how you want" and the "approach the mission how you want" showing the stealth kill with someone looking over some ledge lol, when I say this...I'm not just talking about the whole co-op thing, i mean the entire design in general is very last, last gen. So I want to see more of that sandbox gameplay and see how the single player is, but I wouldn't be shocked for more of those old school concepts as this sounds like a love letter to those who like that generation's design.

and to clarify, I don't think it being some online thing is a bad thing, simply that I wanted a SP title and if this isn't it, I can't fault them simply for something I personally wanted, They never marketed the game to be that and that was simply a hope i had seeing it and knowing of their past work.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

So this is very grounded and I'd say that is something I like about it. I simply came to take a peak to see how the open world, single player type stuff is to see if its a buy for me or not, keep in mind even if I don't end up playing this title, I still like that they are doing some PS3, 360 era type concept. I don't think its a bad thing and feel some games should just be as fun as they can be even if that means using those ideas, even if it isn't anything brand new. Maybe we need more of that in gaming btw as everyone keeps trying to focus on this "new, new, new" type vs actual solid fun.

Look at 2042....look at what many are saying regarding that flop. A game that could have been just fine...just fucking being like BF4 or even BF1 as its base concept. So maybe everything doesn't need to be this revolunary thing and we can appreciate a very fun experience, even if its not claiming to do something new thing. So I don't dislike what they are going in that regard.

Ironically that is one of the things I appreciate about this title. Like we know when we see some cult group thing in the oveworld its one of those clear this camp out type thing ala Ubisoft Far Cry....Im ok with that.

Maybe this game is not catering to the "new, new, new" crowd, maybe its catering to those who remember those PS3/360 SP, MP, co-op, online titles fondly. Bioshock, Left 4 Dead, Portal, Team Fortress

Open world co op games are quite new and I dont think theres been any vampire themed ones.

Critiscising games because its not original is a bit trollish, because you can do it with like 99% of new games. There has not really been new game concepts since like the PS2 generation, games have just evolved and iterated and game ideas and concepts which were created decades ago.

Last edited:

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
looks good, hopefully it doesnt end the same fate as DeathLoop.

Last edited:
So I want to see more of that sandbox gameplay and see how the single player is, but I wouldn't be shocked for more of those old school concepts as this sounds like a love letter to those who like that generation's design.

Sandbox gameplay is hard to convey in videos or trailers. Primary reason why few people play their games.

I also suspect they are working on the systems and hence the delay. Hopefully it will be ready at release.

EDMIX

Open world co op games are quite knew

lol, relatively sure, but we still had em for generations and this feels like in some alternate universe this could have easily been one of em.

I dont think theres been any vampire themed ones.

Thats like telling us Ubisoft is doing this new thing with open world games as "I don't think theres been any Viking themed ones"

Ubisoft out here making Sanford and Son Assassins Creed games like "ok Sosokrates, but has there been a Red Fox version of an Open world game.....ssssucka!" lol

What I'm saying is based on design, not based on iconography as even as an artist myself, that shit is irrelevant to me in regards to core gameplay. The theme is what I use to immersive myself in world, but the design is what i use to judge that quality of the gameplay itself., I do the same with story. I get the theme is subjective, interchangeable and could have been a bunch of different things, but the core design and gameplay factor most. So....I won't bother with a whole "we haven't had any Spongbob themed battle royals, so come on...das new"

Critiscising games because its not original is a bit trollish

Nah. I'm ok with the dated design, everything doesn't need to be some revolunary idea. So long as its fun idgaf... I mean, I'm telling you several times I'm ok with that.... I'm telling you I like that its grounded in a established familiar design... I have no clue where you are getting that I said I disliked it, criticized it etc You've stated that btw, not me. That Saints Row game looks dated as fuck and I'm still getting it, my comments about that is not to criticize or bash or cause I dislike it. Stop fucking trying to force that narrative just cause someone isn't saying this is some next level design or something. Someone can think that and still buy this game, like it etc. All I'm saying is I see where Slimy is seeing this, even If i don't agree with everything being stated as thats what I felt the first time I saw this game. Looks like Bioshock, Left 4 Dead and some other games had a baby...hope it has single player lol

Thats it.

Sandbox gameplay is hard to convey in videos or trailers. Primary reason why few people play their games.

I also suspect they are working on the systems and hence the delay. Hopefully it will be ready at release.

True. Thats the thing I want to see the most about this game.

If its not this deep open world sandbox thing, I might still play it for what it is, vs what I want it to be. For all I know its like Diablo for me where I don't care for the story, but love the gameplay. So I might check it out regardless as I like enough of what I've seen that give me them PS/360 vibes

Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert I don't see this thing selling worse then Deathloop. Different markets, completely different types of games. For all we know this game goes on to move massive units. You never know with MP titles like this, but this generally the majority seem to favor online stuff like this vs single player stuff like Death Loop, especially when its as weird as Death Loop, sorta like Death Stranding.

So I can see Redfalls mass appeal and that it might become some big twitch title with those random encounters and co-op with friends and reactions to jump scares etc.

Last edited:

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
looks good, hopefully it doesnt end the same fate as DeathLoop.
I think this looks pretty good also, that’s coming from a solely PlayStation 5 gamer. I think this is shaping up really well from some of this footage.

Is deathloop not great? I was going to pick it up as it is currently only £23.99 on sale and I have some money left in my wallet. I might just leave it though as I have SO much in the backlog.

GymWolf

I'm the biggest arkane fanboy in here but people are right, graphically is as unimpressive as it comes.

People don't buy arkane games for the graphic but yeah after 3 years of nextgen this is kinda pathetic.

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

I'm still not interested even if it's fully playable solo and I have to stop giving Arkane free passes based on their previous work. I tried with Deathloop and I didn't like it.

Top Bottom