• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 Minutes Video of Redfall released

clarky

Gold Member
Thanks+man+ive+always+had+this+smug+necron+image+and+_028e399285991b5bc6fe9a9e327b05e3.jpg

OK, Warrior. Call bullshit all you like.
Warrior because i like their output? Ok.

Seems its you who needs some originality after the last few post not Arkane.

Thanks+man+ive+always+had+this+smug+necron+image+and+_028e399285991b5bc6fe9a9e327b05e3.jpg

OK, Warrior. Call bullshit all you like.

There are literally hundreds of games on GamePass. Plenty of top tier, amazing titles. Why should I give this a try over others that look awesome and I know I will love?

Everything they show of this title looks dreadful. Level design looks poor. Choices look nonexistent. It looks ugly from the art direction/texture quality and from how it seems to control in the content they have shown.
Try prey or dishonored first and then come back - I haven’t found any games on gamepass that are much better than those

Try prey or dishonored first and then come back - I haven’t found any games on gamepass that are much better than those
Already have! I adored both games. Also enjoyed Dishonored 2… to a point. Still much weaker than the first, but there were a few levels that were brilliant. Which is why I am so critical of this one. Arkane can do *amazing* work, but nothing in this game shows that. Death Loop was also an incredible disappointment for me. Been a huge fan of hte company ever since I first played Arx Fatalis back on my PC in 2002. Was what got me into the immersive sim genre to begin with.

Already have! I adored both games. Also enjoyed Dishonored 2… to a point. Still much weaker than the first, but there were a few levels that were brilliant. Which is why I am so critical of this one. Arkane can do *amazing* work, but nothing in this game shows that. Death Loop was also an incredible disappointment for me. Been a huge fan of hte company ever since I first played Arx Fatalis back on my PC in 2002. Was what got me into the immersive sim genre to begin with.
Oh, yeah I loved deathloop - dishonored 2 was the weakest for me.

DaGwaphics

That was great. The indoor settings and combat remind of the Ravenholm game Arkane was making. Looks like getting to know the city and the layout is a big deal, and the weather and time of day add to that exploration. With lots of space tø stealth around and play it the way you want to.

Will be interesting to see how much the different locations around the island play into things and what if/any changes to general game play that the day/night cycle brings with it.

It's certainly looking and sounding more interesting all the time.

ZoukGalaxy

The art style is atrocious and it looks so... empty, dull.
I really don't understand what's happening with Arkane these last years. Everything feels wrong with their games and this forced inclusive cast all the time is tiring as it's often out of context.
It just doesn't works. Nothing is working anymore with their games. Was Dishonored finally just a lucky hit ? I really wonder nowadays.

Far is the glorious time of Dishonored 1 & 2.
I don't like anymore their games since Prey which was a HUGE disappointment for me, this game was so tedious and a chore to play with all those recycling, crafting and FedEx quests.
Don't get me started on Deathloop, I will just pretend it doesn't exist.
And all these co-op things recently, what are they thinking ?

Well, it's not the fall of the Red, it's Arkane fall.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
Will be interesting to see how much the different locations around the island play into things and what if/any changes to general game play that the day/night cycle brings with it.

It's certainly looking and sounding more interesting all the time.

It looks a lot more interesting and varied than Deathloop for sure, I'm hoping there will be a lot of reward for exploring especially back story wise.

H4ze

I wouldn't say they are too original, they all feel rather similar to me, you clear out a section then move on, like each section is a mini horde mode, then you move on rince and repeat.
This might be somewhat true, but that's like saying all RPGs are the same because you always have to level up to become stronger.
I mean, that's the core gameplay, ofc it is like this. :)

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
This might be somewhat true, but that's like saying all RPGs are the same because you always have to level up to become stronger.
I mean, that's the core gameplay, ofc it is like this. :)

No because RPGs can vary quite drastically, the co-op shooters that were mentioned all share the same or a similar mechanic.

Last edited:
I'm probably going to record a snippet of gameplay footage running off my LG C1, so people start putting some respect on this game. It looks way better than some people are saying seen on a nice OLED.
I think the game looks good, not as good as RE Remake or Village but still pleasing. They are clearly not going for the new RE aesthetic, which shouldn't be expected anyway.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I think it's a shame that nowadays the vast majority of games with such a setting bring such comic'esque implausibility and no longer try to be believable, serious and gritty. I can think of games like L4D1/2, The Order 1886, Hunt Showdown, these games take themselves and the world very seriously and it creates a very different tension than in the shown video snippet of Red Fall. When I see any colorful skinned fantasy weapons, which trigger even more colorful effects or people having superpowers which look like from a Marvel movie, I can't get out of yawning. too bad.
Hopefully the game will still be good.

Lol at people who think Rift apart is Leagues better then redfall.

Yes rift apart is better but not drastically. RT reflections and more on screen objects dont equal drastically better.
Also rift apart is one game, and what exactly makes returnals particle effects "next gen" and redfalls not?
Its funny how people label something next gen just because..... Reasons.
Rift apart looks absolutely incredible. Yes it looks drastically better than Redfall. Have you even played Ratchet?

Greirat

Nothing more believable than vampires right?
You can have fantastic elements and still be serious. Grounding supernatural things in a real world setting is very common in books, movies and games and works very well actually.

Last edited:

Kupfer

Nothing more believable than vampires right?
Why not first try to read the entire post, put yourself in the view of the description and try to understand it and make a transfer between the written and your own opinion. And as a cherry on the cake - if there are still ambiguities try to answer substantively and to bring in your opinion in a serious way to which it would be worthwhile to want to respond. I made it pretty clear what my point was, gave examples. But who wants to shitpost, shitposts I guess.

clarky

Gold Member
Why not first try to read the entire post, put yourself in the view of the description and try to understand it and make a transfer between the written and your own opinion. And as a cherry on the cake - if there are still ambiguities try to answer substantively and to bring in your opinion in a serious way to which it would be worthwhile to want to respond. I made it pretty clear what my point was, gave examples. But who wants to shitpost, shitposts I guess.
"serious, dark and gritty" is about as original these days as a new Batman movie. Redfall has characters with Magic abilities, crazy guns. teleporting, vampires and monsters etc etc. Really don't think the tone your after would suit the game from what I've seen so far. Sounds like your after a completely different game, of which there are many like examples you posted.

If they went the serious route like you suggest I suspect their would be similar posts saying it looks boring.

Last edited:

samoilaaa

I want to like this game so bad...but it keeps looking like dog ****.

The vibe is cringe and the gameplay looks stale AF. Arkane was so hot for a while. What happened?
people didnt buy their games thats what happened , if you put out a type of product multiple times and you see that you make no profit wouldnt you change the formula to make more money ?

people complain now that their game is too simple too childish too cringe but when they made serious games with good level design nobody bought them

GymWolf

"serious, dark and gritty" is about as original these days as a new Batman movie. Redfall has characters with Magic abilities, crazy guns. teleporting, vampires and monsters etc etc. Really don't think the tone your after would suit the game from what I've seen so far. Sounds like your after a completely different game, of which there are many like examples you posted.

If they went the serious route like you suggest I suspect their would be similar posts saying it looks boring.
So you never saw a fantasy\scifi movie with a serious tone??

Their previous games had fucking superpowers and aliens and had a super serious tone anyway.

You can clearly make any type of game serious if that is your intention.

Kupfer

Probably that is the case. I'm not saying that Red Fall will be bad, I just don't like some of the design choices, because I feel like I've had enough of them in the past few years. My examples are also all getting older and older and there's a deep hole, which doesn't allow for the kind of games I want. I just wish for a new title, a new IP, that may close this hole.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Rift apart looks absolutely incredible. Yes it looks drastically better than Redfall. Have you even played Ratchet?

Ive not only played rift apart but I also own it.
And now we are getting into a semantic argument on what graphical improvement defines "drastic improvement"

I think riftApart is one of the best looking games so far, but I dont think its improvements compared to last gen are "drastic", uncharted 3 to uncharted 4 is drastic, it introduced several new visual techniques, drastically improved polycount, resolution,animations and texture quality. Rift apart had RT reflections, more objects on screen, more extravagant particle effects and 60fps modes. Its more like a last gen game getting enhancements on PC rather then a next gen visual leap, but that may be just how this gen is more about QoL improvements such as better framerates, faster loading and more complex worlds, diminishing returns and ballooning budgets may also contribute to this.
Phil Spencer from the very beginning of next gen talk said this gen would be more about how games feel, this guy is going to know what the future of game visuals are going to be, so this might of been burried treasure from Phil.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
So you never saw a fantasy\scifi movie with a serious tone??

Their previous games had fucking superpowers and aliens and had a super serious tone anyway.

You can clearly make any type of game serious if that is your intention.
Ok? Never said you couldn't, but this game clearly going for that isn't that. Maybe Arkane wanted to mix things up.

Its like wanting a banana flavored apple, just have a fucking banana an quit moaning about the flavor of apples.

GymWolf

Ok? Never said you couldn't, but this game clearly going for that isn't that. Maybe Arkane wanted to mix things up.

Its like wanting a banana flavored apple, just have a fucking banana an quit moaning about the flavor of apples.
Oh i don't care about the tone, the artstyle and writing for the protagonists is what annoys me.

I'm okay with a more light hearted arkane games if world building is good as usual.

I was just saying that strange guns, vampires etc. can be in a serious game, they are not the reason for the tone of the game.

Last edited:

johnjohn

Keep on being a bitter warrior, Clarky-boy! Maybe someday daddy-MS will give you the attention you so desperately crave.
It's pretty ironic that you're going around calling everyone warriors lol. Pot meet kettle.

So is this the Vampire L4D game?
It seems to have a lot more in common with Borderlands, I'm not really getting any L4D vibes from it at all.

Last edited:
It's pretty ironic that you're going around calling everyone warriors lol. Pot meet kettle.

So which system am I ”warring” for? Between you Xbox warriors, the Sony Warriors, Nintendo Warriors, and PC warriors - I apparently war for every other platform under existence! It can’t be that I just have critical opinions on all major platforms and can use basic critical thought to see people that only ever hypocriticaly defend one plastic box while crying about another. Noooo, that can’t possibly be it! 😂

GinSama

I really liked Deathloop, the other titles also liked, dishonoured and Prey

Although prey it was the one I played less…..

But redfall looks so good. I will buy day one. The atmosphere looks really cool, loved the way they spread the narrative within their maps.

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter

This legit got me excited for this game. It gave me a better sense of the ambition of it. A proper Arkane immersive sim + open world + co-op could be really special.

I would love to play this with my wife, but I don't really know a way to do that with a single Game Pass account without buying a Series S and another game :/
The gameplay might be good, but again rooted in last gen mechanics, physics and ideas. I am not seeing what makes this a 2023 next gen only title. Players and critics both need to be far harsher on these games going forward.
It's clear to me that this game is attempting to do something new that hasn't really been done well before, which is to build an immersive sim that allows for co-operative play AND an open world. There's nothing like that on the market, at all.

What you mean by last gen or current gen mechanics isn't really clear to me. Certainly games have evolved since the beginning of last gen, but it's not like there's a clear generational dividing line based around hardware the way there was in past gens.

Last edited:
Top Bottom