• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

22 Minutes Video of Redfall released

I'm the biggest arkane fanboy in here but people are right, graphically is as unimpressive as it comes.

People don't buy arkane games for the graphic but yeah after 3 years of nextgen this is kinda pathetic.
I mean yeah, it looks like a last gen game at next gen settings (high res, high framerate). But to say that it looks "horrible" is just... weird.

GymWolf

I mean yeah, it looks like a last gen game at next gen settings (high res, high framerate). But to say that it looks "horrible" is just... weird.
It looks worse than some old gen games except for the res etc. and we are gonna be 3 years inside nextgen when this thing is gonna release.

The game doesn't look horrible per se, but you know what people mean cmon.

I'm gonna day one the shit out of this one, but it is not a good reason to stay silent.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
lol, relatively sure, but we still had em for generations and this feels like in some alternate universe this could have easily been one of em.

Thats like telling us Ubisoft is doing this new thing with open world games as "I don't think theres been any Viking themed ones"

Ubisoft out here making Sanford and Son Assassins Creed games like "ok Sosokrates, but has there been a Red Fox version of an Open world game.....ssssucka!" lol

What I'm saying is based on design, not based on iconography as even as an artist myself, that shit is irrelevant to me in regards to core gameplay. The theme is what I use to immersive myself in world, but the design is what i use to judge that quality of the gameplay itself., I do the same with story. I get the theme is subjective, interchangeable and could have been a bunch of different things, but the core design and gameplay factor most. So....I won't bother with a whole "we haven't had any Spongbob themed battle royals, so come on...das new"

Nah. I'm ok with the dated design, everything doesn't need to be some revolunary idea. So long as its fun idgaf... I mean, I'm telling you several times I'm ok with that.... I'm telling you I like that its grounded in a established familiar design... I have no clue where you are getting that I said I disliked it, criticized it etc You've stated that btw, not me. That Saints Row game looks dated as fuck and I'm still getting it, my comments about that is not to criticize or bash or cause I dislike it. Stop fucking trying to force that narrative just cause someone isn't saying this is some next level design or something. Someone can think that and still buy this game, like it etc. All I'm saying is I see where Slimy is seeing this, even If i don't agree with everything being stated as thats what I felt the first time I saw this game. Looks like Bioshock, Left 4 Dead and some other games had a baby...hope it has single player lol

Thats it.

True. Thats the thing I want to see the most about this game.

If its not this deep open world sandbox thing, I might still play it for what it is, vs what I want it to be. For all I know its like Diablo for me where I don't care for the story, but love the gameplay. So I might check it out regardless as I like enough of what I've seen that give me them PS/360 vibes

Bernd Lauert Bernd Lauert I don't see this thing selling worse then Deathloop. Different markets, completely different types of games. For all we know this game goes on to move massive units. You never know with MP titles like this, but this generally the majority seem to favor online stuff like this vs single player stuff like Death Loop, especially when its as weird as Death Loop, sorta like Death Stranding.

So I can see Redfalls mass appeal and that it might become some big twitch title with those random encounters and co-op with friends and reactions to jump scares etc.

If you're not criticising or praising the fact you think its dated, whats the point in even saying it?

Im not criticising you, Im just genuinely curious to why.

Sosokrates

I'm the biggest arkane fanboy in here but people are right, graphically is as unimpressive as it comes.

People don't buy arkane games for the graphic but yeah after 3 years of nextgen this is kinda pathetic.
Graphicaly is competitive, no current gen games has really done anything that special.

The Office Reaction GIF by NETFLIX

I had you on ignore, but I was curious what was said. And, wow, was I ever right to do that. Rooted in "last gen mechanics, physics and ideas." I honestly don't even think you knew what exactly you were trying to say with that one. People know the kinds of games Arkane makes, and they decided to take that formula, combine it with a vampire focused story, an open world and 4 unique and fully customizable characters with their own personal story and upgradeable skill tree of abilities. And while doing this they're also injecting the style of world building and environmental storytelling they've become known for. But due to the crazy premise, the mystery of where it's all headed and the special powers of the various vampires, from the special types, to the under bosses, and to the vampire gods, it has allowed one of the more genuinely creative studios out there to throw some crazy stuff at us.

You're busy trying to score some kind of weird points. Everybody else who is looking forward to the game is just anticipating having a good time.

This one truly takes the cake. Now you're an authority on whether one of the most talented studios in the business take pride in their work. Can you really imagine if they actually took pride in their work? And every bit of this is pre-beta gameplay.

xho2Qqs.png
2lRvC58.png
pVwFeBe.png
bHLEm91.png
VgWbbKB.png
FT7eYsg.png
jLcbMCf.png
t58zpR6.png
MIUnpnQ.png
3202F2f.png
kTfwn9F.png
WRjfnGm.png
VcEli2r.png
wXThJZ1.png
Is this picture supposed to be your response why this game looks awesome? This game looks like 5-10 years old game, if this was GoW thread already half of you would claim that it's dlc, it's not groundbreaking etc. But it's your beloved toy maker and you have too suck their balls right?
Instead of agreeing that is look a bit dated but maybe it's fun ( we will find it when it get released). The snake guy most of the time is hyperbolic but we can't pretend that this is next gen (current gen in fact) game. Please.

GymWolf

Graphicaly is competitive, no current gen games has really done anything that special.
Yeah, it's a sad situation all around, not only speaking for arcane here.

But no, it is not competitive with stuff like ratchet, H2 or the latest forza horizon, like at all.

At best it is competitive with stuff like deathloop or halo infinite or maybe returnal but that one at least has nextgen use of particle effects.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Yeah, it's a sad situation all around, not only speaking for arcane here.

But no, it is not competitive with stuff like ratchet, H2 or the latest forza horizon, like at all.

At best it is competitive with stuff like deathloop or halo infinite or maybe returnal but that one at least has nextgen use of particle effects.

Lol at people who think Rift apart is Leagues better then redfall.

Yes rift apart is better but not drastically. RT reflections and more on screen objects dont equal drastically better.
Also rift apart is one game, and what exactly makes returnals particle effects "next gen" and redfalls not?
Its funny how people label something next gen just because..... Reasons.

Ozriel

M$FT
Is this picture supposed to be your response why this game looks awesome? This game looks like 5-10 years old game, if this was GoW thread already half of you would claim that it's dlc, it's not groundbreaking etc. But it's your beloved toy maker and you have too suck their balls right?
Instead of agreeing that is look a bit dated but maybe it's fun ( we will find it when it get released). The snake guy most of the time is hyperbolic but we can't pretend that this is next gen (current gen in fact) game. Please.

I’m also not sure why you’re bringing platform warring into this, when Deathloop, a timed PlayStation exclusive, was similarly divisive when it came to visuals. That would have been the perfect analogy, instead of GoW that has a massively larger budget than Redfall.

Arkane seems to like going with their unique artstyles vs hyper realistic visuals. It worked for them for Deathloop, from review scores.

Move on if the visuals keeps you from playing the game.

GymWolf

Lol at people who think Rift apart is Leagues better then redfall.

Yes rift apart is better but not drastically. RT reflections and more on screen objects dont equal drastically better.
Also rift apart is one game, and what exactly makes returnals particle effects "next gen" and redfalls not?
Its funny how people label something next gen just because..... Reasons.
You are talking with a dude that give 2 fucks and a half about rtx and reflections (but they are still an important thing for many people), but the quality of the models is another world entirely dude, just take a look at the screenshot topic here or on reeeee, some incredible pics down there, i mean cmon comparing redfall to ratchet is absurd, that game is the second (first for many) best looking nextgen games released in the last 2 years, where redfall doens't look any better than deathloop that already looked pretty meh to begin with, so yeah, rift apart looks pretty much leagues better than redfall.

You are also talking with a dude that doens't think that returnal looks any better than many old gen games, but you have tech analysis on yt from various sources about the particles that talk about how advanced they are (to me, they look like cartoonish shit in most of the cases but i'm not fond with the bullet hell genre so i'm biased).

Last edited:

Pelta88

I watched this when the trailer released yesterday but held off on saying that the game, in my opinion, looks uninspired and gives me Bleeding Edge vibes. I wanted to see the trailer views and thoughts outside of core sites such as this.

I was hoping that it was just me but the numbers don't lie

b1xwyFg.png

Sosokrates

You are talking with a dude that give 2 fucks and a half about rtx and reflections, but the quality of the models is another world entirely dude, just take a look at the screenshot topic here or on reeeee, some incredible pics down there, i mean cmon comparing redfall to ratchet is absurd, that game is the second (first for many) best looking nextgen games released in the last 2 years, where redfall doens't look any better than deathloop that already looked pretty meh to begin with.

You are also talking with a dude that doens't think that returnal looks any better than many old gen games, but you have tech analysis on yt from various sources about the particles that talk about how advanced they are (to me, they look like cartoonish shit in most of the cases but i'm not fond with the bullet hell genre so i'm biased).

I agree rift apart is the best looking current gen game so far.
Im just saying that compared to other current gen games Redfall holds up well. Which is why I think if people are going to criticize its visuals, criticise the whole gen because we have not got much better.
Its not like the PS2 vs XBOX days where PS2 versions where missing entire visual technologies.
Its one of the things that frustrates me about this gen we still dont know generally, the visuals we can expect from them. So far I dont think everything would not look much different apart from a lower resolution if they we made for a Xbox one X.

GymWolf

I agree rift apart is the best looking current gen game so far.
Im just saying that compared to other current gen games Redfall holds up well. Which is why I think if people are going to criticize its visuals, criticise the whole gen because we have not got much better.
Its not like the PS2 vs XBOX days where PS2 versions where missing entire visual technologies.
Its one of the things that frustrates me about this gen we still dont know generally, the visuals we can expect from them. So far I dont think everything would not look much different apart from a lower resolution if they we made for a Xbox one X.
Just for the record, i'm very hyped for the game, it is a mix of many genres i like (fps, open world, immersive sims, shlooter).

Hopefully it is true that single player is gonna feel 100% like a dishonored or prey game, but i fucking hate the protagonists and the writing from what i heard...the previous games were more adult.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Just for the record, i'm very hyped for the game, it is a mix of many genres i like (fps, open world, immersive sims, shlooter).

Hopefully it is true that single player is gonna feel 100% like a dishonored or prey game, but i fucking hate the protagonists and the writing from what i heard...the previous games were more adult.
Im curious what tasks the missions involve. From what Ive seen the crux of the gameplay seem to be combat and it keeps that varried by having enemies with very different abilities and looks, basically like left 4 dead.
I hope it has a good story and maybe some others tasks besides just combat but a combat focused game like left 4 dead could also be good too.

Wohc

Banned
Still not hyped and i don't think i would spend more than 15 bucks on it, but thanks to Game Pass i don't have to.

GymWolf

Im curious what tasks the missions involve. From what Ive seen the crux of the gameplay seem to be combat and it keeps that varried by having enemies with very different abilities and looks, basically like left 4 dead.
I hope it has a good story and maybe some others tasks besides just combat but a combat focused game like left 4 dead could also be good too.
You can probably do a lot of stealth aswell.

And way more exploration and finding ways to reach loot than your run of the mill shlooter or coop shooter, at least if it is true that single player is gonna feel like a classic arkane game.

I don't have much hope for the story tbh, even my favourite arkane games didn't had great plots, they are way better with world building, hopefully the game being open world is not gonna change that, but they already said that this is a small open world not a ubisoft one.

Last edited:
Anyone still underwhelmed?

I love Arkane and Dishonoured but I honestly dont get this game...yet. every video I watch it seems they are trying to convince me "its an Arkane game" but atm it still looks pretty fucking generic to me. It's always a red flag for me when devs try to convince me of something that footage doesn't demonstrate.

Coop, openworld, hero shooter, looter. I see all these generic genre's but not seeing much Arkane at all outside of the art style. Am I alone?

Punished Miku

Human Rights Subscription Service
The video was pretty good. This isn't my type of game, but I like what I'm seeing. I wouldn't buy it, but on Gamepass I'll be there day one. I like that they emphasize that it can be played single player and with stealth approach. The vampires and the story are pretty interesting honestly. I'm down.

Salz01

Character designs look pretty bad still. The theme is overall pretty cool, but the characters are a big turn off. Watched the video and it almost put me to sleep. They had no energy. Probably working hard to release the game and then we’re forced to do this video.

MiguelItUp

Gold Member
Of course it’s launching in Gamepass.
Yes, that was established. I didn't pay attention to the game previously as I wasn't hyped at all, and forgot. That's it. It's sounding neater though, but we'll see.

Same, not having the stupid fake gamer voiceover stuff makes it instantly seem less shit. Companies really need to stop doing that.
Yeah, I've talked about it recently, and this is a pretty good example of it. That Hyenas game is MUCH worse however. I'm just really over the whole "characters with wacky and unique personalities" thing where they make them all overly obnoxious. It's like they feel the need to slam it all over your head incase you don't care on. It's too much.

Last edited:

R6Rider

Gold Member
Anyone still underwhelmed?

I love Arkane and Dishonoured but I honestly dont get this game...yet. every video I watch it seems they are trying to convince me "its an Arkane game" but atm it still looks pretty fucking generic to me. It's always a red flag for me when devs try to convince me of something that footage doesn't demonstrate.

Coop, openworld, hero shooter, looter. I see all these generic genre's but not seeing much Arkane at all outside of the art style. Am I alone?
Not alone at all. Pretty much what I think about it.

Would have been more interesting if your character was a vampire and could gain crazy abilities. They could even thrown in the invasion mechanic from Deathloop with vampire hunters.

Last edited:

Ohh so you're assuming that I do what some of you guys do?

How about you go back to the God of War: Ragnarok trailer thread and check my post history buddy since you foolishly put me in the same category as some people who troll games because they're not on my preferred system.

H4ze

Original co-op fps games are quite rare these days, I think the last great one I played was Left 4 dead 2.
There are many good 4p coop games out there if you don't expect AAA shenenigans.

Back 4 blood, Killing Floor 2, Warhammer Vermintide 2, Alien: Fireteam Elite, just to make a few examples.

Sosokrates

There are many good 4p coop games out there if you don't expect AAA shenenigans.

Back 4 blood, Killing Floor 2, Warhammer Vermintide 2, Alien: Fireteam Elite, just to make a few examples.
I wouldn't say they are too original, they all feel rather similar to me, you clear out a section then move on, like each section is a mini horde mode, then you move on rince and repeat.

BbMajor7th

That first trailer section, I just had Billy Bob Thornton in my head saying 'I get it, you're glib'. When will this unbearable trend in character writing die?

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
I wouldn't say they are too original, they all feel rather similar to me, you clear out a section then move on, like each section is a mini horde mode, then you move on rince and repeat.

Yeah this seems quite different to those games in storytelling and structure, more like a massive single player game that has added co-op. The way they say the world is huge but they have filled it with stories and options sounds top drawer, taking their game design to the next level, I don't think any other game has pulled that balance off so far so this will be pretty amazing if it gets it right.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

I think you're conflating graphics and art style into the same.

Technically it looks competitive to what's coming out now, 60 FPS and will likely run a high resolution and use some of the basic UE5 improvements if not all like lumen/nanite in full force.

Art style I can see is subjective, I think it's fine and I don't see the Fortnite comparisons at all, but I can see other folks thinking it's generic.

geary

If i'm not mistaken, this game is done by the team behind Prey, while Deathloop teams is the one behind Dishonored. Maybe we will see some Prey feels in this game, not necessary Dishonored or Deathloop.

clarky

Gold Member
If i'm not mistaken, this game is done by the team behind Prey, while Deathloop teams is the one behind Dishonored. Maybe we will see some Prey feels in this game, not necessary Dishonored or Deathloop.
You are mistaken, its by the team that did Dishonored and Prey.

clarky

Gold Member
Arkane has 2 studios. Arkane Lyon who did Dishonored and Deathloop and Arkane Austin who did Prey. Austin is the lead on Redfall.
Its a bit more complex than that with Smith shifting between studios and having a hand in everything bar Prey( got confused myself on that one could have sworn he did it but googling it maybe not) and Deathloop. Harvey smiths no joke and he's the lead on this as far I I'm aware.

Either way I've played and enjoyed all their games and I'm very much looking forward to this.

Last edited:
This looks so utterly bland, uninspired, and like there was zero passion behind it. Just a lot of chasing trends and completely failing to understand *what* fans of the studio want to see.

Honestly even though I *know* I can play this game for “Free” on GamePass, I will probably just skip it entirely as it doesn’t even look like it is worth that.

Ohh so you're assuming that I do what some of you guys do?

How about you go back to the God of War: Ragnarok trailer thread and check my post history buddy since you foolishly put me in the same category as some people who troll games because they're not on my preferred system.

You are literally the biggest shill/warrior on this site for Xbox. So yes. You would absolutely do that and with zero introspection.

clarky

Gold Member
This looks so utterly bland, uninspired, and like there was zero passion behind it. Just a lot of chasing trends and completely failing to understand *what* fans of the studio want to see.

Honestly even though I *know* I can play this game for “Free” on GamePass, I will probably just skip it entirely as it doesn’t even look like it is worth that.
What a load of regurgitated nonsense.

These guys are masters at gameplay, level design and game systems yet your not even going to try it when it cost you nothing but a GP sub which you already have. I call bullshit.

Arkane has 2 studios. Arkane Lyon who did Dishonored and Deathloop and Arkane Austin who did Prey. Austin is the lead on Redfall.
I preferred prey so this is good news for me. I actually don’t think they’ve made one game I haven’t enjoyed tho - but I never played dark messiah

Lol what, you wouldn’t play this game for free what am I reading? Have you ever played an arkane game, I’d give it a shot - think prey and dishonored are on gamepass

What a load of regurgitated nonsense.

These guys are masters at gameplay, level design and game systems yet your not even going to try it when it cost you nothing but a GP sub which you already have. I call bullshit.
Thanks+man+ive+always+had+this+smug+necron+image+and+_028e399285991b5bc6fe9a9e327b05e3.jpg

OK, Warrior. Call bullshit all you like.

Lol what, you wouldn’t play this game for free what am I reading? Have you ever played an arkane game, I’d give it a shot - think prey and dishonored are on gamepass

There are literally hundreds of games on GamePass. Plenty of top tier, amazing titles. Why should I give this a try over others that look awesome and I know I will love?

Everything they show of this title looks dreadful. Level design looks poor. Choices look nonexistent. It looks ugly from the art direction/texture quality and from how it seems to control in the content they have shown.

Top Bottom