• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2GB Pro Duo In Stock? (faint-of-heart need not enter)

Danj

I believe the PSP can support Pro Duos up to 4Gb, so this one shouldn't be a problem. Wish they were available in the UK though.

MetalAlien

Banned
I think that's great... damn near half a single layer DVD on a postage stamp...

Once these get to be about 10 gigs or so, just make them cheap enough and start puting movies out on those... screw optical media.

Look PS4, no opitcal media, you do all your game shopping online and download them into a HD, or something like these...

aoi tsuki

MetalAlien said:
I think that's great... damn near half a single layer DVD on a postage stamp...

Once these get to be about 10 gigs or so, just make them cheap enough and start puting movies out on those... screw optical media.

Look PS4, no opitcal media, you do all your game shopping online and download them into a HD, or something like these...
If it were simply an issue of making them cheap enough, we'd all be using flash RAM instead of DVDs already.

Minotauro

Finds Purchase on Dog Nutz
Does anyone have an explanation for why these cost so damn much in comparison to other flash memory solutions? I mean, is it just a Sony pricing scam or do they actually cost that much to produce?

MoxManiac

By the time they get in the 10 gig range, we'll be in the full blown HD age and movies will require much more than 10 gigs...

Link1110

Sony is stupid to make any memory stick above 512MB work on PSP. Thing is, they want to avoid PSP piracy? Well, they could stop that, without a single UMD security measure, by just limiting the amount of memory the PSP could use. Most PSP games are over 512MB (or at least they should be,) so why didn't they do that, then we wouldnt need secure firmware (which gets cracked anyway,) and there could be a homebrew scene, and everyone could've been happy.

Sometimes companies just have no idea what they're doing....

Minotauro said:
Does anyone have an explanation for why these cost so damn much in comparison to other flash memory solutions? I mean, is it just a Sony pricing scam or do they actually cost that much to produce?

Well..

1. They're new (much newer than 2gb SD card).
2. They're very small (slightly smaller than SD card, and a cf is a monster by comparison)
3. They have a fairly unusual heat tolerance to transfer rate ratio

So yeah, it's a price premium for being new, for using newer technology that allows them to make a more dense product, and for being of sufficient quality to handle the heat tolerance.

The best example comes from the non-ultra 2GB sticks coming from Sandisk; they're not even available yet! Tons of warning, but obviously manufacturing isn't something you can just speed along.

In any case, while the normal 2gb sticks have an msrp in the 370 range, you can already find high-speed editions around 300 depending on where you look and what your patience level is like.

Rhindle

And they're .... sold out!

Crazymoogle said:
Crazymoogle said:
Well..

1. They're new (much newer than 2gb SD card).
2. They're very small (slightly smaller than SD card, and a cf is a monster by comparison)
3. They have a fairly unusual heat tolerance to transfer rate ratio

So yeah, it's a price premium for being new, for using newer technology that allows them to make a more dense product, and for being of sufficient quality to handle the heat tolerance.

The best example comes from the non-ultra 2GB sticks coming from Sandisk; they're not even available yet! Tons of warning, but obviously manufacturing isn't something you can just speed along.

In any case, while the normal 2gb sticks have an msrp in the 370 range, you can already find high-speed editions around 300 depending on where you look and what your patience level is like.
Actually, no it's just a Sony profit grab. There's no reason they should cost 50%+ more than equivalent SD cards.

Link1110 said:
Sony is stupid to make any memory stick above 512MB work on PSP. Thing is, they want to avoid PSP piracy? Well, they could stop that, without a single UMD security measure, by just limiting the amount of memory the PSP could use. Most PSP games are over 512MB (or at least they should be,) so why didn't they do that, then we wouldnt need secure firmware (which gets cracked anyway,) and there could be a homebrew scene, and everyone could've been happy.

Sometimes companies just have no idea what they're doing....
they use them in other sony devices too you know... like cameras and camcorders and stuff...

they're alreeady behind other formats in capacity, and are playing catch up

Rhindle said:
Actually, no it's just a Sony profit grab. There's no reason they should cost 50%+ more than equivalent SD cards.

Actually, reasons were what I just gave.

But if you'd prefer to think brand new 2GB Pro duo's should be the same price as slower, physically larger SD cards that premiered close to a year ago, whatever.

I'm not arguing against Sony taking more on initial units, but that's both how commerce works and it's not the entire answer.

kofman

uh the memory stick has always been overpriced. Thank god for Compact flash and secure digital and other forms of flash media. Sony would have never lowered their prices had it not been for the proliferation of other media that was cutting into their sales.

kofman said:
uh the memory stick has always been overpriced. Thank god for Compact flash and secure digital and other forms of flash media. Sony would have never lowered their prices had it not been for the proliferation of other media that was cutting into their sales.

Except it's not just Sony's format. Sandisk is a big player in multiple formats, and they're doing roughly the same thing. I'd be interested to see where technology and the company line on profits meet when it comes to the stick format.

Amir0x

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
Except it's not just Sony's format. Sandisk is a big player in multiple formats, and they're doing roughly the same thing. I'd be interested to see where technology and the company line on profits meet when it comes to the stick format.

To be fair, Sandisk Memory Stick prices are way, way cheaper than Sony equivalents.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Amir0x said:
To be fair, Sandisk Memory Stick prices are way, way cheaper than Sony equivalents.

And the Sandisk equivalents are STILL considered over priced by some folk... though I'm curious to see what your using as your comparison to determine they are way, way cheaper....

Link1110

they use them in other sony devices too you know... like cameras and camcorders and stuff...

they're alreeady behind other formats in capacity, and are playing catch up

That's not what I said. They can make them and make them work in all sorts of Sony devices (Including 2 of the TVs in my house,) but couldn't they do something to make them not work in PSP, perhaps an error message "this memory card is too big and will not work in a PSP, get a smaller one" or something?

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Link1110 said:
That's not what I said. They can make them and make them work in all sorts of Sony devices (Including 2 of the TVs in my house,) but couldn't they do something to make them not work in PSP, perhaps an error message "this memory card is too big and will not work in a PSP, get a smaller one" or something?

Once again folks are giving piracy WAY much more credit than they need to. Plus if they did that then we'd have folks bitching about how Sony is unfairly limiting blah blah blah

MetalAlien

Banned
MoxManiac said:
By the time they get in the 10 gig range, we'll be in the full blown HD age and movies will require much more than 10 gigs...

By that time we'll have mpeg 5 or 6 and it wouldn't be a problem... I won't happen, but I can dream...

Aoi, what do you mean? Why is price and capacity NOT the reason we aren't using these for movies? If it's piracy, we have that now, they still release movies.

Odnetnin

Banned
Another point that no one has mentioned is how really unuseful the mem stick duo are if you don't use SONY products. I just hope for our sake that PS3 use duos for save (any word on this).

At least with SD/CF you can normally use these with PDA/Cameras and there's an extension of use/life on the mem cards in those formats. The fact that they're also cheaper = :(

Amir0x

Banned
DarienA said:
And the Sandisk equivalents are STILL considered over priced by some folk... though I'm curious to see what your using as your comparison to determine they are way, way cheaper....

I know. Sandisk 1GB can be found for 99 bucks now which is not much more expensive than the SD equivalents. It's getting down there. In 6 more months, it won't be surprising to see it for 79.99 which is a fair price, albeit premium.

As to what I'm using as my comparrison, always FROOGLE:

The cheapest Sandisk 1GB I found at a dependable online site was here for 93.89 (temporarily sold out).

The cheapest Sony 1GB I found at a dependable online site was here for 153.99.

That's around a 60 dollar difference. For me, that makes Sandisk 'way, way cheaper'.

Link1110 said:
that's the stupidest thing i've ever heard, especially since people will want to view the pics from their sony cameras and the videos from their sony camcorder on their sony psp... hello pr nightmare...

that just negatively affects it's abilities as a multimedia device...

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Odnetnin said:
Another point that no one has mentioned is how really unuseful the mem stick duo are if you don't use SONY products.
Maybe no one mentioned it because there are a variety of NON-SONY devices out there with multi-card flash memory readers/writers built-in as well as USB adapters and even a CF adapter that allows a MS Duo to be used in the CF slot of NON-SONY devices. :)

Top Bottom