• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

30 fps killing my eyes! Devs should abandon it!

Spaceman292

Banned
Maybe YOU can only see detail when the camera isn't moving. Most of the time I'm walking or running forward looking off into the distance where the scenery isn't moving much anyway. Then when you're shooting, you're looking down the sights and only making minor adjustments. I typically don't swing the camera around like a mad man when playing 3rd person games since you see a pretty wide slice of scenery.

As I said before though, 1st person games should be 60fps because you have to move the camera a lot more and often times move the camera fast. When you turn around in a 1st person game, you literally have to spin the camera all the way around, but in a 3rd person game, you can turn the character, but not the camera so it's much less panning.
That's still just creating areas of the screen that you can't really look at

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I would never hope someone's personal preference would give anyone cancer.

That said, 30 fps is not 'just fine' for someone like me and I watch all of my media at 60 fps.

Regardless, there's no need for conflict here as pretty much everyone's framerate preference can be accommodated.
fair enough

GreatnessRD

Well it actually is.
Never had any issue playing 30fps games on console.

On PC 30fps is that bad? Or it just like you saying that can only drink $10 water because the $1 water is terrible bad? lol

There is nothing wrong at all with 30fps games.
Now if it is a taste issue then it is with you and not the 30fps.
Staring Darren Criss GIF

I can deal with 15 fps as fluent because im a sixth generation agelord that liked the PlayStation.

Ofcourse, everyone is sensitive to different framerates. Some can only start gaming at 90, whilst others can take 10 fps for granted.

What works, works.
As long as you don't switch back and forth too often it'll feel fine. If you're used to 60fps try watching a film at 24fps before playing a 30fps game. It won't feel as bad.

MikeM

Well it actually is.
Never had any issue playing 30fps games on console.

On PC 30fps is that bad?
Playable? Sure.
Enjoyable? Nope.

I’m playing Metal Gear Rising and Darksiders in glorious 60fps through FPS boost. Its transformative.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Do you hear that approaching thunder?

Its the sound of 1000s of frothing at the mouth Sony fans furiously typing up dissertations on why 30fps is perfect for games and super extra cinematic.

What have you done op....WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!
This is spoken like someone who doesn't know that the XSX will have its share of 30fps games coming

Yeah I hate going back to 30fps but I adjust quickly and forget about it. No big deal and what your asking won't happen anytime soon. At best we will have performance modes. You will have to pick which you prefer. Or just game on a PC.

Keihart

No joke, you need to get more sun exposure during development years.
At least that was the biggest correlation last ime i checked.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yeah I never want to play a game in 30fps ever again
It took me a good 2-3 hours to get used to it in Horizon but after that I forgot about it.
Normally it took me much quicker but it's been a bit long since I've played at 30fps.
Depends on a type of game. Would not want to play Returnal at 30fps for sure

Boss Mog

Glad I waited for PS5 to come out to play TLOU2, 60fps was great. It's great that we're getting 60fps options this gen for Sony first party games. HFW is one of the best looking games I've ever seen and it runs at a solid 60fps in performance mode. I'll never understand those that play fidelity 30fps modes when the option for 60fps is there. Any extra fidelity you gain is lost as soon at you pan the camera horizontally in any way. It just becomes a blurry mess. OP didn't have a choice on PS4 sadly though...

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Glad I waited for PS5 to come out to play TLOU2, 60fps was great. It's great that we're getting 60fps options this gen for Sony first party games. HFW is one of the best looking games I've ever seen and it runs at a solid 60fps in performance mode. I'll never understand those that play fidelity 30fps modes when the option for 60fps is there. Any extra fidelity you gain is lost as soon at you pan the camera horizontally in any way. It just becomes a blurry mess. OP didn't have a choice on PS4 sadly though...
I am having this dilemma with UC4. The fidelity 4k mode looks quite a lot sharper than 60fps mode... and the game controls ok in 30fps mode. But it's much better in 60

I am having this dilemma with UC4. The fidelity 4k mode looks quite a lot sharper than 60fps mode... and the game controls ok in 30fps mode. But it's much better in 60
60 minimum.

Still a bit salty there was no ps5 patch to just run the pro version at 60fps… the resolution was good at 1440p and the remaster has worse/missing detail compared to ps4. It did control fine at 30fps though.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
It took me a good 2-3 hours to get used to it in Horizon but after that I forgot about it.
Normally it took me much quicker but it's been a bit long since I've played at 30fps.
Depends on a type of game. Would not want to play Returnal at 30fps for sure
No Way Friday GIF

Petopia

Banned
Yeah I hate going back to 30fps but I adjust quickly and forget about it. No big deal and what your asking won't happen anytime soon. At best we will have performance modes. You will have to pick which you prefer. Or just game on a PC.
Then i dont know stay on pc then.

Soosa

Banned
When I had LCD tv = solid 30 fps = no issues
now with OLED tv = solid 30 fps = motion sickness

So I have indeed started to lean to the 60 Hz gang.

Ratched&clank made me so sick in few seconds on 30 fps mode that I thought I got some brain blood vessel eruption thing

Bramble

I keep trying Horizon Forbidden West at 60fps, but the downgrade is huge. Texture issues, shadows and texture pop-in, shimmering and flickering, soap opera effect (way more than other 60fps games, weirdly). 30fps takes 15 minutes to get used to, but it does this game much more justice.

I'm playing The Last of Us Part 2 these days and my eyes are killing me! I'm trying to avoid camera movements at all costs.

I think that games i played all those years which run at 30 fps and below caused my myopia(especially, playing TES:Oblivion with 15-20 fps for more than 100 hours :messenger_tears_of_joy:). You don't believe it? Here is a literature review about screen time(use of digital devices) and myopia relation: link to scielo.br. They reviewed 9 studies with more than 100.000 participants in total. In conclusion, they can't say it's related for sure but they suspect it may has some effect on it. Maybe someone will do a study about 30 fps vs 60 fps games and their effects on eye problems in future. I think 30 fps does more damage than screen time or resolution.

I think devs should leave this old crap behind. I can handle some low resolution textures here and there. But i can't take this 30 fps bs anymore! It's not healthy at all.

PS: Great game so far btw.

Edit for necromancers: After a suggestion made on this thread 1 year ago, i learned that playing a ps4 game at 30 fps on a 75 hz monitor increases the awfulness of 30 fps. I continued to play The Last of Us 2 (which you can't play on a pc yet) on TV and it was a little more bearable. My thoughts on 30fps haven't really changed, but my frustration eased a bit.
Stop bitching, stop lying. 30fps can't cause any of this. You're just a spoiled shit.

Swift_Star

Banned
I would never hope someone's personal preference would give anyone cancer.

That said, 30 fps is not 'just fine' for someone like me and I watch all of my media at 60 fps.

Regardless, there's no need for conflict here as pretty much everyone's framerate preference can be accommodated.
You use interpolation for movies and shows?

Swift_Star

Banned
hopefully not, movies and shows look horrible with motion interpolation. One of the 1st things I make sure I switch off :pie_eyeroll:
I went back a few posts and he does use it. Yeah, it sucks even in a tv that makes it right, like the High end models. Stuff should be watched the way the directors created.

60 fps is always better, I agree, but I don't mind playing 30 fps games if they are done correctly with correct frame-pacing for even 33.33ms frame delivery, decent camera motion blur and low input latency. With the PS5, it is jarring when switching between 30 and 60 fps for sure but it usually only takes a minute for me to adjust then I am fine.

I was playing the Spyro: Reignited Trilogy on my Xbox Series X last week and I was really impressed by how smooth that felt to play and completely forgot it was a 30 fps game. I mean on the PS4 Pro (and even the PS5), the game had bad frame-pacing and the micro-stutter used to annoy me so much. However, this seems to be fixed on Xbox Series X, whether that is due to VRR on my LG B9 TV or some secret tweaks Microsoft have done to the game via back-compat or even the 120 FPS mode, I don't know, but it runs great, so much so that I don't think it would feel that much better at 60 fps.

I am currently alternating between playing Horizon: Forbidden West at 30 fps and 60 fps. 60 fps feels great but the image quality suffers due to the low 1600p checkerboard resolution, although this is only really noticeable in cutscenes where I am watching more closely since I am not interacting with the game. 30 fps at 4K just looks so much nicer though, like a proper next-gen looking game so I find myself leaning more toward that than 60 fps. Would have been nice to have been able to have 4K 30 fps cutscenes and 1600p CB gameplay really but maybe that would have been jarring...?

Last edited:

fart town usa

Gold Member
I'm moving over to the 60fps side too now that I have a PS5.

I can still play old games just fine, and 30fps doesn't bother me on PS3/PS4 but the one native PS5 game I have, Ghostwire, it's basically unplayable in 30fps for me.

I'm moving over to the 60fps side too now that I have a PS5.

I can still play old games just fine, and 30fps doesn't bother me on PS3/PS4 but the one native PS5 game I have, Ghostwire, it's basically unplayable in 30fps for me.
How does the PS5 do 30fps any differently than the PS3 or PS4? Is it just a mental thing? Like… this system is new, so therefore it should be able to do 60fps… and anything less than that means the devs didn’t care or optimize properly?

fart town usa

Gold Member
How does the PS5 do 30fps any differently than the PS3 or PS4? Is it just a mental thing? Like… this system is new, so therefore it should be able to do 60fps… and anything less than that means the devs didn’t care or optimize properly?
It's probably optimization but I'm largely clueless to that stuff. If you're running in a straight line it looks fine but the moment you start moving the camera it looks/feels really bad.

ANDS

King of Gaslighting
60 frames per second isn't "always better" it it comes at the cost of visual clarity, at least for my tastes. If a game can get 60 frames without compromising immersion (by way of a "gamey" image) by all means. However I gladly played CP77 at a locked 30 frames on my rig at launch at 4K and nearly Ultra settings. Totally fine.

It's probably optimization but I'm largely clueless to that stuff. If you're running in a straight line it looks fine but the moment you start moving the camera it looks/feels really bad.
It’s a fact that no hardware has unlimited power. Something has to give. It’s either visual clarity and effects or frame rate. Choose one.

FutureMD

30 fps is good because PC people get to enjoy 60 fps and the graphics don't have to be downgraded to run 60 on consoles.

John Wick

I'm playing The Last of Us Part 2 these days and my eyes are killing me! I'm trying to avoid camera movements at all costs.

I think that games i played all those years which run at 30 fps and below caused my myopia(especially, playing TES:Oblivion with 15-20 fps for more than 100 hours :messenger_tears_of_joy:). You don't believe it? Here is a literature review about screen time(use of digital devices) and myopia relation: link to scielo.br. They reviewed 9 studies with more than 100.000 participants in total. In conclusion, they can't say it's related for sure but they suspect it may has some effect on it. Maybe someone will do a study about 30 fps vs 60 fps games and their effects on eye problems in future. I think 30 fps does more damage than screen time or resolution.

I think devs should leave this old crap behind. I can handle some low resolution textures here and there. But i can't take this 30 fps bs anymore! It's not healthy at all.

PS: Great game so far btw.

Edit for necromancers: After a suggestion made on this thread 1 year ago, i learned that playing a ps4 game at 30 fps on a 75 hz monitor increases the awfulness of 30 fps. I continued to play The Last of Us 2 (which you can't play on a pc yet) on TV and it was a little more bearable. My thoughts on 30fps haven't really changed, but my frustration eased a bit.
Maybe you should just stop playing the game. Your hyperbolic statement is cringe. Maybe you should speak to people who actually do have visual problems and disabilities rather than ranting with nonsense on here.

Last edited:
sure. my 3080 will 100% last whole generation
Of course it will, but you'll probably have to start lowering settings in a couple years.

The best GPU in 2013 was the GTX 780 Ti.... imagine using that card the entire PS4/XBox One era....

Last edited:
Top Bottom