• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K UHD/Blu-ray/DVD Community Thread: Bringing the Theater Home!

Hatemachine

Banned
Just watched extended lotr and fury road as my first oled 4k hdr movies.
Can't wait to see first matrix. I've heard there is no more green tint? Finally!
Also punisher 2004 and hellboy 2004 are in uhd hdr? Omg.

Sadly no It Follows and thing 1982 yet :(
Hopefully you watched LOTR in Dolby Vision and not regular HDR

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Just watched extended lotr and fury road as my first oled 4k hdr movies.
Can't wait to see first matrix. I've heard there is no more green tint? Finally!
Also punisher 2004 and hellboy 2004 are in uhd hdr? Omg.

Sadly no It Follows and thing 1982 yet :(

I need to pick up punisher. Anyone have thoughts on it's DV and atmos tracks?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Hopefully you watched LOTR in Dolby Vision and not regular HDR
Streaming it here is almost impossible... Itunes? Nobody got that shit. Buddy came over with discs and we watched on ps5. It just switched to hdr. Are both versions available on disc?
I've seen some hdtest dv vs hdr10 and there is almost no difference?
And I torrented some dv content on pc just to check and none of it works.
This dv seems like a pain in the ass

Last edited:

VulcanRaven

My first 4K movies obviously had to be to some epic shit, that pushed my setup to its limit.

9vy7QfZ.jpg

Both movies have great restoration, but Lord of the Rings probably stands as the winner here. Absolutely outstanding picture quality. The entire trilogy practically looks like brand new movies. They´ve aged so well. And Terminator 2 as well has stood the test of time. It´s ridiculous how well made it is. I now have it on VHS, DVD, Blu-ray and 4K. Can´t get enough of my favorite film of all time. It´s the true GOAT as far as action movies goes.
I wish they hadn't use too much DNR in T2. They removed details when removing the film grain. It might be because they converted it to 3D.

Streaming it here is almost impossible... Itunes? Nobody got that shit. Buddy came over with discs and we watched on ps5. It just switched to hdr. Are both versions available on disc?
My tv has Apple TV app that has many movies in Dolby Vision. I don't think PS5 can play DV from disc and its possible that apps can't do it either.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I wish they hadn't use too much DNR in T2. They removed details when removing the film grain. It might be because they converted it to 3D.

My tv has Apple TV app that has many movies in Dolby Vision. I don't think PS5 can play DV from disc and its possible that apps can't do it either.
Does one uhd disc have DV and HDR10 modes? Or are these separate editions ?

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Ps5 and xbox don't support dolby vision via disc. It's on the same disc but if the player doesn't support it, it will revert to standard HDR.

In terms of there being no difference is not really true. There is indeed a difference, especially in stuff like the tone mapping, but it's not going to be a night and day difference most of the time.

I've watched a couple movies like rocketman and Fate of the furious in both and they are pretty close. But other stuff like Power Rangers and John Wick 3, the difference is far more prominent.

Hatemachine

Banned
Both are on the disc but PS5 doesn't support Dolby Vision playback. That's probably where your issue is.

ManaByte

Got Gemini Man on 4K disc. Fuck the HFR haters, I want more movies in 4K 60fps.

Shame the format can't do 48fps and we can't have The Hobbit movies in HFR.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
Got Gemini Man on 4K disc. Fuck the HFR haters, I want more movies in 4K 60fps.

Shame the format can't do 48fps and we can't have The Hobbit movies in HFR.
I saw it in 60 FPS in theatres and I dont think it added much for me.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I downloaded just to check out the 60 FPS aspect of it and I hated it. It completely destroys the illusion of the film for me and has me interpreting it as actors on a movie set.
Can't say I hated it but I just didnt get the point. I did not see/read any of the news around the movie so I am not sure why they went with HFR but I didn't take anything positive away from it.

Amory

My UHD copy of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly should arrive today. Excited to check it out in 4k, but I pre-ordered a while back and only recently learned that the disc doesn't have HDR of any kind. That's pretty lame.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
My UHD copy of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly should arrive today. Excited to check it out in 4k, but I pre-ordered a while back and only recently learned that the disc doesn't have HDR of any kind. That's pretty lame.
I didn't know you could sell a 4K disc without HDR.

Ulysses 31

You'll have to make due with just corrected colours this release. :lollipop_confounded:

Amory

Its weird how inconsistent DIsney is with their stuff. I know they want people on Plus, but their lack of effort is weird sometimes.
They pretty much have collectors over a barrel these days. No one expects any new formats coming after UHD, so in all likelihood we're witnessing the last physical releases of movies. Especially Disney movies because I definitely don't see them licensing any boutique distributors down the line.

So you take what Disney puts out or not, but then you're left with streaming which they'd be very happy about anyway.

Frankly I'm kind of surprised they haven't already said they're done with blu ray. I guess they're probably still making a good amount of money from it, with very little effort put in.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
They pretty much have collectors over a barrel these days. No one expects any new formats coming after UHD, so in all likelihood we're witnessing the last physical releases of movies. Especially Disney movies because I definitely don't see them licensing any boutique distributors down the line.

So you take what Disney puts out or not, but then you're left with streaming which they'd be very happy about anyway.

Frankly I'm kind of surprised they haven't already said they're done with blu ray. I guess they're probably still making a good amount of money from it, with very little effort put in.
I would think they are able to take htat work they have done and simply move it over to plus though correct? It seems like they would want to put their best work forward to keep people subbed to plus. But then again, if you are subbed to plus you likely are fine with streaming quality vs disc quality.

Amory

I would think they are able to take htat work they have done and simply move it over to plus though correct? It seems like they would want to put their best work forward to keep people subbed to plus. But then again, if you are subbed to plus you likely are fine with streaming quality vs disc quality.
It's funny, it's actually the other way around. The content they put on Disney Plus usually has more effort put in than their blu ray releases these days. Disney Plus movies regularly support Dolby Vision HDR, for one thing, which their physical discs haven't supported in several years. The Last Jedi was the last Disney disc with DV if I remember correctly.

Theoretically all they should have to do is take the premium streaming content and burn it onto a disc. But they give us the gimped stuff. Seems to me they're actively trying to provide a worse experience for the physical media crowd to push people towards streaming.

Some 4K SDR discs

Last edited:

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
It's funny, it's actually the other way around. The content they put on Disney Plus usually has more effort put in than their blu ray releases these days. Disney Plus movies regularly support Dolby Vision HDR, for one thing, which their physical discs haven't supported in several years. The Last Jedi was the last Disney disc with DV if I remember correctly.

Theoretically all they should have to do is take the premium streaming content and burn it onto a disc. But they give us the gimped stuff. Seems to me they're actively trying to provide a worse experience for the physical media crowd to push people towards streaming.
I wasnt aware they stopped putting DV on their discs. I just figured since a lot on plus was DV that their discs were DV.

Sounds like they are trying to use DV only on Plus as a selling point now. Dumb. But thats just my pleb take.

Even before Plus, Disney releases supported DV on streaming services , but not on discs (with two exceptions, Black Panther and Star Wars: The Last Jedi).

Amory

It's probably more of a licensing fee thing, now that I think about it, more than a conspiracy to push people to Disney+. But the net effect is the same either way.

I'm not sure how Dolby's licensing structure works, but I'm guessing there's separate fees to have a movie featuring DV on a streaming service and on physical discs. If that's the case, it's not that surprising for Disney to refuse to spend the extra cash when they don't have to.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
I havent been following the HDR war that much. What happened to HDR 10+? I feel like I havent heard about it in a long time.

SegaShack

I'm thinking of skipping out on a 4K player. I rip my blurays in full quality and use Apple TV to stream them.

Did a custom firmware install on my bluray drive on PC and it can read the few 4k discs I have.

May just buy additional harddrives and forego paying 350 for a player.

Since my bluray/dvd collection is so big anyways and still looks great on a 4k screen I've also vowed to not rebuy anything I already own on 4k.

I'd make exceptions to T2 or the unaltered Original Star Wars films but T2 has a bad transfer and for the original cuts of Star Wars I'll have to stick to my laserdiscs most likely.

Last edited:

Aggelos

8NJBnAn.jpg

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • NEW 4K RESTORATIONS of both the Theatrical Cut and the Director's Cut from the original camera negatives by Arrow Films
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) of both cuts
  • Original uncompressed stereo audio and DTS-HD MA 5.1 surround audio
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
  • Audio commentary by director Tony Scott
  • Audio commentary by writer Quentin Tarantino
  • Audio commentary by stars Christian Slater & Patricia Arquette
  • Audio commentary by critic Tim Lucas
  • Select scene commentaries by stars Dennis Hopper, Val Kilmer, Brad Pitt and Michael Rapaport
  • Brand new select scene commentary by star Saul Rubinek
  • New interview with costume designer Susan Becker
  • New interview with co-editor Michael Tronick
  • New interview with co-composers Mark Mancina and John Van Tongeren
  • New interview with Larry Taylor, author of Tony Scott: A Filmmaker on Fire
  • New interview with Daniel Storm, co-founder of the annual True Romance Fest and owner of the original Cadillac
  • Deleted scenes with optional commentary by Tony Scott
  • Alternate ending with optional commentaries by Tony Scott and Quentin Tarantino
  • Electronic press kit featurettes, behind-the-scenes footage and interviews with Tony Scott, Christian Slater, Patricia Arquette, Dennis Hopper and Gary Oldman
  • Trailers and TV spots
  • Image galleries
  • Limited Edition packaging with reversible sleeve featuring newly commissioned artwork by Sara Deck
  • 60-page perfect-bound collectors' booklet featuring new writing on the film by Kim Morgan and Nicholas Clement, a 2008 Maxim oral history featuring interviews with cast and crew, and Edgar Wright's 2012 eulogy for Tony Scott
  • Double-sided poster featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Sara Deck
  • Six double-sided, postcard-sized lobby card reproductions

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief

Basic Instinct​

StudioCanal has announced that it will release on 4K Blu-ray and Blu-ray Paul Verhoeven's classic thriller Basic Instinct (1992), starring Michael Douglas, Sharon Stone, George Dzundza, Jeanne Tripplehorn, and Denis Arndt. The two releases will be available for purchase on June 14.

257343_medium.jpg

Aggelos

cvRr22W.jpg

Special Features and Technical Specs:
  • ENGLISH DOLBY ATMOS AUDIO TRACK
  • Audio Commentary by Director, Adam Wingard
  • Kong Discovers Hollow Earth
  • Kong Leaves Home
  • Behold Kong's Temple
  • The Evolution of Kong, Eighth Wonder of the World
  • Godzilla Attacks
  • The Phenomenon of GŌJIRA, King of the Monsters
  • Round One: Battle at Sea
  • Round Two: One Will Fall
  • Titan Tag Team: The God and the King
  • The Rise of MechaGodzilla
  • Optional English SDH, Latin Spanish, French, Brazilian Portuguese, Italian-SDH, Cantonese, Complex Chinese, Korean, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, and Swedish subtitles for the main feature

BigStef71

Neo Member
Some 4K SDR discs

Is 4k sdr that much better than 1080p sdr? To me hdr is the selling point.

Aggelos

Thankfully no DNR anymore! Looks sharp af

They say there's filmic grain, which makes it look organic (and obviously means the absence of exaggerated and overblown DNR), but the folks report that picture quality leaves much to be desired

Top Bottom