• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 animals saved by conservation that are very... interesting (photo gallery!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaborn

Over the past 20 years, Conservation International's Rapid Assessment Program (RAP) has completed 80 surveys identifying more than 1300 new species in 27 countries. The outcomes of the initiative have been documented in its new book Still Counting…. New Scientist takes a look at some of the stars of the show.

004729cfb47.jpg

Blue emperor

Measuring an incredible 20 centimetres in length, the emperor scorpion (Pandinus imperator) is one of the largest in the world. Despite its size, it feeds mainly on termites and other invertebrates. Even its venom isn't particularly harmful to humans – in fact, there might even be some medical benefits to this intimidating species.

Compounds from the venom are being tested as potential heart-disease drugs, and the blue fluorescent beta-carbolines covering its body – only visible in ultraviolet light – are being studied in order to better understand oxidative degeneration in human eye lenses, a major cause of cataracts.

(Image: Piotr Naskrecki)

00472d136ab.jpg

Devil lizard

The satanic leaf-tailed gecko (Uroplatus phantasticus) is the smallest of 12 species of equally bizarre-looking leaf-tailed geckos. Larger members of the species have more teeth than any other living terrestrial vertebrate species. Found in Madagascar, the geckos hunt small insects and vertebrates. Combined with their bright red eyes, their name seems highly appropriate.

00472a47252.jpg

Flying food

The Goliath bird-eating spider (Theraphosa blondi)
is huge: weighing 170 grams, it is the heaviest spider in the world, and has a leg span of 30 centimetres. Despite the name, they mostly feed on invertebrates, but have been observed feasting on small mammals, lizards and snakes.

The large venomous fangs aren't the biggest worry, however: the spider's main weapon is the hair that covers its body. When threatened, it rubs its legs against its abdomen and releases a cloud of microscopic hairs that lodge in the skin and mucous membranes of its attackers.

00472fbf960.jpg

Angry insect

Instead of physically attacking its predators, the peacock katydid (Pterochroza ocellata) has developed two highly effective deterrence strategies.

The first of these is disguise. Found in Guyana's Acarai mountains, the peacock katydid, pictured here perched on a branch, resembles a dead, partially damaged leaf and becomes invisible to less observant predators.

The katybird's second defence strategy also uses disguise, but this time the insect mimics an angry bird. If threatened, the insect changes its leaf-like shape to suddenly reveal a pair of bright eye spots and starts jumping excitedly on its long legs. The display is thought to look like the giant head of a bird pecking at the attacker.

004722097c4.jpg

Defensive hook

Found in Cambodia, the fish-hook ant (Polyrhachis bihamata) has a developed a particularly nasty defence mechanism. This large ant (1.5 centimetres) uses the curved spikes on its back to cut into the skin of a predator, and then won't let go easily. On top of this, the ants live in large groups and work together. When attacked, they gather together and hook onto each other, making extracting an individual ant very difficult for a predator.

Their nests are usually in dead tree trunks on the forest floor, so best not to walk barefoot.

Gallery Here

I have to say, I LOVE the name "satanic leaf-tailed gecko." I mean, that is ACTUALLY it's name. Just awesome. Also, those ants are terrifying.

004729cfb47.jpg

I would stomp on every single one if I could...
It's bad enough that they're scorpions.. but they're blue!
That ain't right!

Gaborn

Kitsunebaby said:
The satanic leaf-tailed gecko and the peacock katydid are awesome looking! However, that spider can go die in a fire!

The spider is neat. Those ANTS though. My GOD the ANTS.

Grimm Fandango said:
How is an 8 inch blue scorpion just being discovered in the last 20 years?

Nocturnal + dirt dwelling. Not to mention over-collecting, they've probably had a tough time finding them in the wild.

I knew there was going to be a fucking spider after seeing the scorpion I just didn't know it would be like the Zeus of spiders.

Acerac

Banned
Though it was made over 10 years ago the South Park rain forest episode applies well here.

I'm sure wherever the natural habitat of these things is is beautiful, but holy shit would I not want to live there.

Gaborn said:
The spider is neat. Those ANTS though. My GOD the ANTS.

You're right actually. Big spiders are far less terrifying than small ones that can crawl on you and you can't get them off. Those ants would be terrible to come across. I'm imagining them stuck in my foot and trying to get them out while the others crawl all over me.

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
the "blue" scorpions are actually black to normal light. You used to be able to buy them in US pet stores (dunno if you still can) but they turn crazy day glo blues and greens in black lights.

If you take them outside in the sunshine the look like a dull green color that you could easily mistake for a plastic toy scorpion :|

Ecce

Neo Member
What's with the recent "kill it with fire" reactions to all spider pictures? It seems like a lot of threads recently have started out with one premise (which happened to include a spider), and devolved into paranoid arachnophobia?

That gecko looks like it has Darth Maul trapped inside of it, like how the demon in The Exorcist has Reagan's soul trapped inside her possessed body.

I mean look at the gecko's facial expression. You know it's so guilty of something.

Alrus

AceBandage said:
Pfft.
Remember, it's not the big spiders you have to worry about. They're usually fairly harmless.
It's those tiny bastards that will fuck you up.

Well if I remember correctly, if it "spits" hairs in your eyes you can end up partially blind. But apparently they're pretty popular when it comes to pet spiders so I guess they're not that bad. (Getting bitten must hurt even if it's not that dangerous...)

nib95

Banned
Just awesome. Scariest for me is that Goliath Bird Eater. Why did he put his hand so close knowing it fires poisonous hairs when threatened? W.T.F...

Acerac

Banned
Ecce said:
What's with the recent "kill it with fire" reactions to all spider pictures? It seems like a lot of threads recently have started out with one premise (which happened to include a spider), and devolved into paranoid arachnophobia?
This is not a recent thing. Pretty sure GAF has never had love for spiders.

AceBandage said:
Pfft.
Remember, it's not the big spiders you have to worry about. They're usually fairly harmless.
It's those tiny bastards that will fuck you up.

Wikipedia.org said:
Also when threatened they rub their abdomen with their hind legs and release hairs that are a severe irritant to the skin and mucus membranes. They are urticating hairs that can even be harmful to humans, and are considered by some to be the most harmful tarantula urticating hair of all.

Maybe relatively harmless compared to a black widow or brown recluse.. but fuck that shit. What can urticating hairs do to a human you ask?

Clicky clicky

Can't imagine the pain of getting some in your eyes..

Proxy

Ecce said:

So... you wouldn't kill it with fire if you encountered it in real life?

Crazy that the blue on that scorpion is it's natural color. Loved all these. Except Mr. GiantSpider. We need to send all spiders that size into space.

hgplayer1

Ecce said:

Its nothing new. Have you never seen the clock spider thread?

akira28

Zoramon089 said:
This is how pokemon will come to be

If the wild eyed crazies get their shot to defund or take over the EPA they'll turn the Conservation Acts and Endangered Species Protection Acts into some televised 24hr Pokemon tournament. Taxing the purchase and interstate transport of exotic animals at a premium to subsidize costs, allowing the media conglomerates and merchandising moguls (and gambling agents) to keep 90% of the profits. The other 10% going to either bio-friendly waste disposal or complimentary taxidermy, because American outdoor sport tradition has a strong belief in conservation and trophy-making.

Fetts_Jets said:
. We need to send all spiders that size into space.
Yhah that's just what the fuck we need. Giant, super-intelligent spiders. From space. And then some Fantastic Four shit happens with Cosmic Rays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom