• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5 animals saved by conservation that are very... interesting (photo gallery!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found in Cambodia, the fish-hook ant (Polyrhachis bihamata) has a developed a particularly nasty defence mechanism. This large ant (1.5 centimetres) uses the curved spikes on its back to cut into the skin of a predator, and then won't let go easily. On top of this, the ants live in large groups and work together. When attacked, they gather together and hook onto each other, making extracting an individual ant very difficult for a predator.
In my head, there's a team of ants yelling "IT'S MORPHIN' TIME!" before launching an attack on someone.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Ci8Gr.png

Grimm Fandango said:
How is an 8 inch blue scorpion just being discovered in the last 20 years?
Actually, Pandinus imperator was described by Koch in 1841.
I used to have one. Never saw the fucker, always stayed in his cave.
Also, he's not blue. He's black and glows blue under UV light.

Edit: Those animals aren't new at all. In fact, I've personally seen the first 3 in pet shops or private reptile collections.
Theraphosa blondi was described in 1804 by Latreille.
Uroplatus phantasticus Boulenger, 1888

WTF is this shit?

V_Arnold

These are really special and awesome-looking creatures, it is nice that sometimes humans can actually save something other than massacring animals/trees 24/7 (and each other, of course). If you ask me, that race did a bit more bad than any spider in this planet ;)

I still freak out when I see spiders, but luckily, in hungary, there is not too many spider with bigger size than...6-7cm.

No no no, spiders are foul.

When I was a kid I used to travel to Indonesia during the holidays because my grandmother ran an english school there. I had to sleep at floor level and there were these hideous spiders that used to fucking hop around the room.

I remember opening my eyes one morning and seeing at least 5 of them jumping towards me - disgusting.

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
They're all awesome, but I'd especially want that blue scorpion and big-ass tarantula in my house to just chill and roam in a big ass terrarium, right by my front door.

A BLUE scorpion that isn't harmful to humans, how can you NOT want one?

V_Arnold

Phonomezer said:
No no no, spiders are foul.

When I was a kid I used to travel to Indonesia during the holidays because my grandmother ran an english school there. I had to sleep at floor level and there were these hideous spiders that used to fucking hop around the room.

I remember opening my eyes one morning and seeing at least 5 of them jumping towards me - disgusting.

Yet you are still here. ;)

FOOTE

Ecce said:
What's with the recent "kill it with fire" reactions to all spider pictures? It seems like a lot of threads recently have started out with one premise (which happened to include a spider), and devolved into paranoid arachnophobia?
It's not a recent reaction, it's always been the main reaction we have to these threads.

Gaborn

zon said:
How can people not like the scorpion? He's one cool dude.

Seriously. Scorpions are interesting. I wouldn't really want to hold it or anything but it's not going to bother you if you don't bother it.

nyong

Banned
My tax dollars better not have saved that big hairy spider. Fuck the NPR controversy. I'd rather my dollars to be used to abort teenagers than ensuring that thing is wandering the planet somewhere.

Oro

Scorpion and gecko are awesome, wouldn't mind having them around.
But that spider...kill it with fire

Rflagg

Please stop quoting spider pic seeing that monster even once is enough to haunt my dreams for weeks.Burn it with fire and the leave the remains in acid.

midonnay

AceBandage said:
Pfft.
Remember, it's not the big spiders you have to worry about. They're usually fairly harmless.
It's those tiny bastards that will fuck you up.

THIS

there are spider bites that can give you flesh eating diease

Satch

Banned
I really like that spider. It doesn't look like it was spawned from the bowels of hell compared to some of the other monstrosities that get posted on GAF.

Shoogoo said:
I wonder how in the hell an insect decided to mimic a bird.

the lord did it

scar tissue said:
Actually, Pandinus imperator was described by Koch in 1841.
I used to have one. Never saw the fucker, always stayed in his cave.
Also, he's not blue. He's black and glows blue under UV light.

Edit: Those animals aren't new at all. In fact, I've personally seen the first 3 in pet shops or private reptile collections.
Theraphosa blondi was described in 1804 by Latreille.
Uroplatus phantasticus Boulenger, 1888

WTF is this shit?

since everyone missed it, THIS GUY OWNED THE BLUE FUCKER

but it's not really blue, you gotta smoke some weed and shine a black light on him.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
wow so there are ants with thorns aura and giant ass ...bird hunting spiders with pbaoe disease procs...bullshit . Kill it with FIRE. Like wtf was hunting a giant birdkilling spider that they developed that defense...so unfair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom