• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

Tommy DJ

The K7xx are a Massdrop special and AKG's only competitive headphone in my opinion. It lacks the shouty midrange of its predecessors and the obvious midbass hump nicely balances out the treble spike making it sound more full bodied.

That comparison you read is kind of strange but the bass punch of the K7xx is good for a $200 open backed headphone if that's what you're wondering.

Skittles

So after some research and thinking. I think i'm gonna bite the bullet on the Fidelio X2s and grab the V-MODA BoomPro to going along with it. They seem to have the best balance for gaming and music at a low ohm(not a fan of buying amps yet). A bit out of my original price range but it's about time I treated my ears to something even better(been using a razer headset)

SteveO409

Did you know Halo invented the FPS?
For those looking for backup IEMs,

"Lendmeurears has an offer that if you preorder the VSONIC VSD2/S (limit 2 in any combination) between March 24 10am (Singapore time) through 25 10am (Singapore time) you get a free VSONIC AN16 IEM only available in this offer:

How do you preorder?: A Vsonic VSD2 and VSD2S listing will appear on our website (www.lendmeurears.com) on the above stated date and time. Simply purchase the item during the preorder and you will automatically qualify for the preorder special.

Please note that there will be a purchase limit of 2 sets per customers. I.e 1X VSD2+ 1X VSD2S or 2 VSD2 or 2 VSD2S."

Just purchased the VSD2S. I have good faith in Vsonic so far with my Gr07(been using it for a year)

not sure where to ask this, but I have a question about headphones, DAC, Amp, and ps4 gaming in general.

I had Sony MDR-1R headphones for a while now and I love it, it's very comfortable and sounds great imo. I use it to listen to music and sometimes, to play games on ps4 since it's so convenient that I can just plug the headphones to the controller.

now just recently, I received Fiio E7 DAC/Amp as a gift. I've never use dac/amp before so I am a bit curious if there's a noticeable differences.

plugging fiio E7 to pc via usb cable and my headphone to it, I'm pleased to find out that I do actually notice the differences, especially in the bass. I had a flac audio file where it showcase the bass through a series of sound where the bass got decreasingly smaller. before using fiio E7, I can notice the difference between the loudest bass and the smallest, but not by much, it's actually kinda hard to tell. now with the headphone plugged to Fiio E7, the difference between each step is actually very noticeable. now I'm not an audiophile at all, but I assume my headphone having a wider range of bass is a good thing. and I only set my fiio E7 volume to 20 out of 60 max to have a nice loud sound.

now after having that experiment on my PC, I'm excited to try it on my PS4. I first try plugging my Fiio E7 to Dualshock 4 controller via standard audio cable. I'm puzzled to find that I had to crank the volume on Fiio E7 to around 40 to had comparable volume if I had simply plugged my headphones straight to dualshock 4. and while the audio sounds nice. it's not much of a difference compared to not using the dac/amp.

curious about this, I tried to connect the Fiio E7 directly to PS4 via USB cable, just like my PC. It works, but similar to connecting it via Dualshock 4. I had to up the volume quite a bit to get comparable volume, and again, the sound quality didn't sound that much improved, at least not that I can notice. again, I admit I'm not an audiophile that are sensitive to sound differences.

so I'm just wondering why my experience of improvement between pc and ps4 is very different. more curiously, about why I had to up the volume setting of my dac/amp so high on ps4 while I only need much smaller setting when I used it with PC. when I tried google around, I found someone mention that MDR-1R didn't really benefit from using amp because it's already designed to be used with low powered device like mobile phones anyway, so it's pretty easy to drive. but than I found another review who mention that MDR-1R need amp to reach it's true potential. so I'm not sure which is right since they both seem to contradict each other.

andylsun

so I'm just wondering why my experience of improvement between pc and ps4 is very different. more curiously, about why I had to up the volume setting of my dac/amp so high on ps4 while I only need much smaller setting when I used it with PC. when I tried google around, I found someone mention that MDR-1R didn't really benefit from using amp because it's already designed to be used with low powered device like mobile phones anyway, so it's pretty easy to drive. but than I found another review who mention that MDR-1R need amp to reach it's true potential. so I'm not sure which is right since they both seem to contradict each other.

I have the same issue. When I plug a DAC directly into the PS4, it's much quieter than when plugged into a PC. I suspect the PS4 is outputting a lower volume digital signal (perhaps leaving more headroom).

omgkitty

Anyone interested in buying the VSonic GR07 Bass Edition? I got them for Christmas and I'm not really feeling them. I've only worn them a few times.

ParityBit

So I have a cat .... and I no longer have my Sennheiser HD595 headphones.

I am not in the market for a new set which I hope to use on my PC/Xbox One and PS4 as needed. I was thinking something wireless because of said cat but I can always do my best to be very diligent with wrapping the cord (those headphones had a cord at least 30 miles long)

I know there is the PS Gold headset that people talk about, not sure how that works with the PC and Xbox. So pretty much, I am open. I do not like earbuds and always liked cans.

DagsJT

So I have a cat .... and I no longer have my Sennheiser HD595 headphones.

I am not in the market for a new set which I hope to use on my PC/Xbox One and PS4 as needed. I was thinking something wireless because of said cat but I can always do my best to be very diligent with wrapping the cord (those headphones had a cord at least 30 miles long)

I know there is the PS Gold headset that people talk about, not sure how that works with the PC and Xbox. So pretty much, I am open. I do not like earbuds and always liked cans.

The Gold headset is fine but I sold it and bought a £33.99 pair of Samson SR850's and they wiped the floor with the Gold's.

Aizo

Banned
I need new IEMs for when I'm out and about. I don't listen to anything over 320 kbps when I'm out. Recommendations?
Also, those of you who have nice headphones, amps, and DACs, what's the source for your music? Grabbin' lossless off of CDs?

HiResDes

I need new IEMs for when I'm out and about. I don't listen to anything over 320 kbps when I'm out. Recommendations?
Also, those of you who have nice headphones, amps, and DACs, what's the source for your music? Grabbin' lossless off of CDs?
You know V0 LAME MP3 and 192 AAC are just fine with many mid tier headphones.

Tommy DJ

That's basically it. Format is not terribly beyond a certain point. If you wanted the best quality audio possible, you'd find the best master of the particular song or album. That isn't very pragmatic most of the time so get your music in whatever format you can. Most of the time, this will be some form of CD or digital file from Amazon or iTunes.

Always remember that price does not correlate with quality. HDTracks sells high resolution music at a fairly hefty price but a decent number are using terrible masters (most metal) or were produced in such a way that high sample rates are logically worthless (Van Halen stuff is bricked walled at 22kHz).

I use 320 kbps mp3 for portable devices because it works with everything. At home, I use FLAC simply because I have space and its a good archival format for my stupid physical media collection.

Kaladin

I swear by these as my everyday listening headphones, have had them for a couple of years. They started to get to the point where the fake leather on the ear pads was flaking off and I would have little black specs all over the place.

I got some Beyerdynamic EDT250V replacement ear pads and they're like new headphones. Best part, these don't have the leather, they're more cushioned and feel much better around my ears.

NSFIpsz.jpg

Not $500 range, more like $100....but I love these headphones.

ParityBit

The Gold headset is fine but I sold it and bought a £33.99 pair of Samson SR850's and they wiped the floor with the Gold's.

Those do not look too bad. What about something good with a mic? In case I need it at some point for online play.

There are just so many options. The big thing is I would like it to be good for games and I can use it on all 3 platforms.

X-Frame

If I have a Fiio E10K, what volume should my computer be at?

For example, 100% volume on my computer and therefore maybe 35% on the E10K analog control, or 75% on my computer and more on the E10K to make up the difference?

Ryman

If I have a Fiio E10K, what volume should my computer be at?

For example, 100% volume on my computer and therefore maybe 35% on the E10K analog control, or 75% on my computer and more on the E10K to make up the difference?

I just max my PC's volume and adjust the DAC accordingly.

Ryman

I swear by these as my everyday listening headphones, have had them for a couple of years. They started to get to the point where the fake leather on the ear pads was flaking off and I would have little black specs all over the place.

I got some Beyerdynamic EDT250V replacement ear pads and they're like new headphones. Best part, these don't have the leather, they're more cushioned and feel much better around my ears.

NSFIpsz.jpg

Not $500 range, more like $100....but I love these headphones.

Nice! I also have the v6+DT250s and they have been a nice pair of cans for the past 7 years. I pretty much knew I would hate the stock pads right away (which I did) so I ordered the 250s with them. Might be selling my pair soon, trying to cut down on my headphone collection.

cocopuffs

Banned
My earbuds recently broke and I'm looking to get some good new ones. Was looking at the Audio Technica ATH-IM50 but I live in Canada and importing it makes it like $60 plus I don't know if they're the best choice.

What should I get for inexpensive (think ~$60) but quality in-ear earphones?

minx

So then headphones my dad gave me are Grado SR125 (not an i, I think these are from like 2004). Finding they are pretty good sounding but are uncomfortable and have a very heavy cable that is annoying when plugged into my Xbox One controller since I am currently without a receiver.

I'm looking to upgrade to a headphone with more bass, a replaceable cable, and comfortable. This will be uses primarily for gaming and movies/tv. Through this thread and research I think I have narrowed it down to the Philips Fidelio X1, just waiting for a sale. Is the non-replacable pads a huge deal breaker? I would like to keep these for 10 years. If necessary I'll bite the bullet and get the X2 if required to keep these for a long time. Thanks!

HiResDes

My earbuds recently broke and I'm looking to get some good new ones. Was looking at the Audio Technica ATH-IM50 but I live in Canada and importing it makes it like $60 plus I don't know if they're the best choice.

What should I get for inexpensive (think ~$60) but quality in-ear earphones?

Just order them from mp4nation, as they have free worldwide shipping, though it might take a bit to get there.

Ostry KC06, Vsonic VSD3S, Moe SS01, and Fidue A63 are all good choices.

ParityBit

Just get an add on Antlion or if you're low on funds the Zalman is passable.

So your saying just get a headset and later add the mic when needed? I can do that.

Are wireless really that bad compared to wired for games? I am still bouncing around with that because of wire chewing cat (I warned my wife!) But I do get new toys because of it ;)

Kaladin

Nice! I also have the v6+DT250s and they have been a nice pair of cans for the past 7 years. I pretty much knew I would hate the stock pads right away (which I did) so I ordered the 250s with them. Might be selling my pair soon, trying to cut down on my headphone collection.

The stock pads were alright, till they started flaking. These are much better though.

Hello, I want to get my first pair of good quality headphones and I've been looking at a couple of ones but I'm not sure which to choose. My first choice was between the ATH-M50x and the HD 598s and after reading a few reviews, I decided that the HD 598s were probably better for me since they seem more suited for a wide variety of music and also gaming. But then I saw that the Sennheiser Momentum is about the same price as the HD 598s (~$10 difference), despite having a higher MSRP. I've read reviews on the Momentums but I couldn't find comparisons between them and the HD 598s.

Which of these is the better choice for a beginner like me? Are there other options in a similar price range that I haven't considered that would be better? Thanks for the help!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So your saying just get a headset and later add the mic when needed? I can do that.

Are wireless really that bad compared to wired for games? I am still bouncing around with that because of wire chewing cat (I warned my wife!) But I do get new toys because of it ;)

Have you considered getting headphone that have a detachable cable?

Hello, I want to get my first pair of good quality headphones and I've been looking at a couple of ones but I'm not sure which to choose. My first choice was between the ATH-M50x and the HD 598s and after reading a few reviews, I decided that the HD 598s were probably better for me since they seem more suited for a wide variety of music and also gaming. But then I saw that the Sennheiser Momentum is about the same price as the HD 598s (~$10 difference), despite having a higher MSRP. I've read reviews on the Momentums but I couldn't find comparisons between them and the HD 598s.

Which of these is the better choice for a beginner like me? Are there other options in a similar price range that I haven't considered that would be better? Thanks for the help!

The Momentum I consider to be a good beginner set. They'll teach you a lot about what kind of sound signature you like, and what type of comfort needs you have.

You won't find many comparisons between the two, because one is open and the other closed.

HiResDes

No he's not talking about dual wireless, though those exist, but rather wired headphones that have a detachable cable so you can store it somewhere else when you're not using them. One cheap option that comes to mind would be the Logitech UE6000, you could get those and I believe they should be compatible with the V-Moda Boompro.

HiResDes

Why are you saying overkill like the M50 are just these monster headphones, but besides sporting a better build quality they're in the same sound tier as the UE6000. The problem is that you definitely can't fit the Boompro with those even though they're detachable, the port is too recessed. If you want something with good surround sound get some open headphones or closed ones with good soundstage, "virtual surround" headphones are kind of gimmicky and rarely sound that great with both music and games. I recommend you just visit this thread, http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-2-17-2015

HiResDes

There should be a little feedback given that the Valhalla is a tube, but if you have your DAC configured correctly it shouldn't translate into actual background noise after a a few seconds of warning up. What DAC are you using?

There should be a little feedback given that the Valhalla is a tube, but if you have your DAC configured correctly it shouldn't translate into actual background noise after a a few seconds of warning up. What DAC are you using?

I have no DAC. I'm listening on my Desktop with my Asus Maximus Hero VII motherboard.

When I listen on my Android phone with my Valhalla 2 and HD650, there was no background noise.

HiResDes

Hmm unless you know for certain that your built-in soundcard is good I definitely would recommend getting a DAC. You would have been better off using that $350 on the Modi and Vali than a solo Valhalla without a DAC or good soundcard IMO.

Hmm unless you know for certain that your built-in soundcard is good I definitely would recommend getting a DAC. You would have been better off using that $350 on the Modi and Vali than a solo Valhalla without a DAC or good soundcard IMO.

Is Realtek High Definition Audio any good?

They're great did you get the
amp as well? The case it comes with is pretty nice. They won't get dirty.
Not yet, going to make do with the Geek 1000 for home use until I leave my current job and get to actually go out more(ie, time). Surprised some people said it could be used without any amp at all. Can't hear shit unamped, almost like a whisper. Thinking I might just order one an HA-2 now.

Edit : Although multiple reviews mention not needing amplification to get good volume so something is obviously wrong on my end.

Not yet, going to make do with the Geek 1000 for home use until I leave my current job and get to actually go out more(ie, time). Surprised some people said it could be used without any amp at all. Can't hear shit unamped, almost like a whisper. Thinking I might just order one an HA-2 now.

Edit : Although multiple reviews mention not needing amplification to get good volume so something is obviously wrong on my end.

Wat. The GO 1000 is FAR more powerful than the HA-2. The Go outputs 1000 mw/4 VRMS vs the a HA-2's 300 mw/1 VRMS. I don't think you have things set up right if you're not able to hear anything above a whisper. Even the GO 450 has more power on tap than the HA-2, nevermind the 1000

Hmmm, there wasn't any background noise when no other sounds were playing with only my Sennheiser HD650 Headphones.

Wat. The GO 1000 is FAR more powerful than the HA-2. The Go outputs 1000 mw/4 VRMS vs the a HA-2's 300 mw/1 VRMS. I don't think you have things set up right if you're not able to hear anything above a whisper. Even the GO 450 has more power on tap than the HA-2, nevermind the 1000
To clarify I meant without any amp. Ie, directly into the headphone jack of the phone/pc/whatever. Considering the HA-2 for the easy portable device usage.

Honestly I'm starting to worry about my hearing given how many impressions say it's fine without an amp. I have major sinus issues which has always made my hearing relatively poor but this discrepancy is worrying.

It seems my hearing might be fine, the left side just went completely mute via all forms of amplification so it seems I got a bad pair. Time to RMA I guess *sigh*

Edit: Or I guess there's some volume there but it's so faint as to be almost unnoticeable. Would explain the issue, lol. Was hard to tell with phone but it became clear with the amp where it was obvious 95% of the volume was coming from one side.

Oh, so you mean, plugging your headphones directly into a smartphone/PC right? Thought you were talking about the GO being barely above whisper. I was gonna say man, that thing could power almost anything on the market

Yeah

The issue is obvious with both the GO and Polaris, and is now apparent on the phone as well now that I've realized the left bud wasn't working. Contacted OPPO, hopefully they get back quicker than LH Labs did >_>

Top Bottom