• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$500 cans on, this is how you dream right - Official Headphone Thread

HiResDes

The Sony's don't really need anything but would probably sound fine with it, and although the Sennheiser might sound pretty good with it, you definitely won't be listening to them at their full potential. The Sennheiser 600 definitely are a bit better in specific ranges when amped properly.

SeSame

Neo Member
The Sony's don't really need anything but would probably sound fine with it, and although the Sennheiser might sound pretty good with it, you definitely won't be listening to them at their full potential. The Sennheiser 600 definitely are a bit better in specific ranges when amped properly.
Would an Audioquest Dragonfly do the job?

The geniuses over at BestBuy have listed the new 2015 models at the wrong price. The $229 version (bluetooth + noise canceling) is accidentally $149.99. While the step down model is actually $229. I noticed this while trying to pickup my pair at the store.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-ov...blue/4026036.p?id=1219616419256&skuId=4026036

How good are these headphones? I've been kicking around the idea of grabbing one decent pair of bluetooth headphones for awhile, is this something I need to jump on?

MegalonJJ

Banned
Received the DT 770 (80) earlier today and have been listening to them for only 90mins or so.

Comfort wise they're a big step up from the Senn HD438 and I find the ear cups way better too.The isolation is pretty impressive as is the soundstage for a closed back set of cans.

My JDS Cmoy isn't here yet (I pray to Crom they don't get hit by customs), so haven't listened to them with an amp, just my walkman (will test them through my a/v receiver too).

The sound and soundstage (for closed back) is immense! So so good.

Interestingly, I had read some people posting that the 770s suffered from harsh brightness/sibilance, but my set don't have this. (And I detest harsh sibilance).

Build quality seems to be top notch.

Thank you to HiResDes for the recommendation over the m50s too :)

Ryman

Okay, looking for a pair of IEMs.

-Price limit is $50
-Neutral/analytic sound
-Be comfortable while in bed (i.e., my head shifting from side to side, pressing down against the pillow)
-It will be driven by my phone and portable audio player

Honestly, I'm not too stringent on the sound signature, just want a solid pair of IEMs that will last me a while.

HiResDes

Okay, looking for a pair of IEMs.

-Price limit is $50
-Neutral/analytic sound
-Be comfortable while in bed (i.e., my head shifting from side to side, pressing down against the pillow)
-It will be driven by my phone and portable audio player

Honestly, I'm not too stringent on the sound signature, just want a solid pair of IEMs that will last me a while.
Ostry KC06 or Vsonic Vco2

LegendX48

I wanna say thanks, HiResDes, for the Beyerdynamic DTX 350p recommendation a while back. Been loving them :D The only downside is that they've shown me how seriously underwhelming the lows and such are on my Sennheiser HD558s >.>

But anywho, I've been thinking about replacing my 558s now because of this and I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD600 and 650s to replace them with (not immediately but sometime later this year). I've heard the 650s have a veiled sound and I'm not quite sure what that means. I've also heard that the 600s are more accurate and/or neutral while the 650s are more skewed with more pronounced lows and rolled off highs. I basically want the one that has the pros of both my 558s (great highs and mids) and 350p (great lows) so I'm not sure on which of two would be best to go for.

Tommy DJ

Veiled as in lacking detail. Audio is the one place where people are terrible at investigating issues so be careful to believe what people say.

The Sennheiser HD6x0 series has actually gone through a few silent revisions that have updated and changed a lot of the headphone.

Having listened to a very new pair of HD650s, I don't think they're veiled at all. They're certainly better than the older HD650s, which were probably deserving of that claim. The extended upper midrange and lower treble dip might explain some think it's veiled but there is a difference from an old and recent production HD650.

In my mind, you need to actually audition the two headphones. My opinion is that they both don't sound significantly different from each other so most generally prefer the HD600 because it's cheaper and isn't as dark as the HD650.

That being said, the HD650 plays cleaner than the HD600 so it isn't an issue to boost the lower treble via parametric EQ or solderdude's filter. The HD600 has a midrange hump with some ringing in that region so they could end up being annoying over long listening periods - EQ won't elimate that ringing.

HiResDes

It's gonna be hard to find a headphone that has a low-end like that and retains all of the highs without having too recessed of mids. If there were such a headphone that was reasonably priced everyone would have that headphone. It's pretty much the equivalent of trying to have your cake and eat it too. I'd say the Fidelio X2 get as close to that for as little of money and they're quite efficient so you wouldn't need to upgrade to a beefy setup. I got the chance to listen to a bottlehead crack amped 650 and I have to say I don't think it was a large jump from my X1 even!

LegendX48

Veiled as in lacking detail. Audio is the one place where people are terrible at investigating issues so be careful to believe what people say.

The Sennheiser HD6x0 series has actually gone through a few silent revisions that have updated and changed a lot of the headphone.

Having listened to a very new pair of HD650s, I don't think they're veiled at all. They're certainly better than the older HD650s, which were probably deserving of that claim. The extended upper midrange and lower treble dip might explain some think it's veiled but there is a difference from an old and recent production HD650.

In my mind, you need to actually audition the two headphones. My opinion is that they both don't sound significantly different from each other so most generally prefer the HD600 because it's cheaper and isn't as dark as the HD650.

That being said, the HD650 plays cleaner than the HD600 so it isn't an issue to boost the lower treble via parametric EQ or solderdude's filter. The HD600 has a midrange hump with some ringing in that region so they could end up being annoying over long listening periods - EQ won't elimate that ringing.

Is it fatiguing? Assuming it acts like I think it does, it seems like something that may drive my left ear nuts (my left ear has a habit of cracking just like broken headphones and sometimes kind of lowering the volume level like reducing the amount it can take in before cracking, it's usually related to sudden volume bumps mid song, or certain frequencies shooting up, I haven't tried to really figure it out). But yeah, what you said kinda goes along with what I've been reading lately that they are very similar with only minor differences. Oh, and one more question: are they on equal footing when it comes to vocals?

It's gonna be hard to find a headphone that has a low-end like that and retains all of the highs without having too recessed of mids. If there were such a headphone that was reasonably priced everyone would have that headphone. It's pretty much the equivalent of trying to have your cake and eat it too. I'd say the Fidelio X2 get as close to that for as little of money and they're quite efficient so you wouldn't need to upgrade to a beefy setup. I got the chance to listen to a bottlehead crack amped 650 and I have to say I don't think it was a large jump from my X1 even!

I see, I guess I was kinda asking for too much lol

I mainly want something with better lows than what my 558s can produce but I usually look for something more neutral. The X2s seem to be a great choice but they are within the same price range as the two sennheisers with the HD600s being the cheapest of the bunch which is nice. Oh, and if the source (if that is the right term) matters, I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard to drive them.

fake edit: Now that I think about how my left ear crackles, something a bit rolled off may be ideal.

Tommy DJ

Is it fatiguing? Assuming it acts like I think it does, it seems like something that may drive my left ear nuts (my left ear has a habit of cracking just like broken headphones and sometimes kind of lowering the volume level like reducing the amount it can take in before cracking, it's usually related to sudden volume bumps mid song, or certain frequencies shooting up, I haven't tried to really figure it out). But yeah, what you said kinda goes along with what I've been reading lately that they are very similar with only minor differences. Oh, and one more question: are they on equal footing when it comes to vocals?

I think the HD600s midrange is a bit too much for certain recordings. Dunno if it'll mess with your ears...both the HD600 and HD650 emphasize (as in its louder) frequencies between 1 and 5kHz, with the HD600 emphasizing that frequency range more.

To repeat my opinion: I think the HD650 is a better headphone since you can add that lost treble with EQ and I think the HD650 has a less fatiguing midrange.

Again, they both sound similar. It's hard to say which you'll prefer until you audition them. A lot of people prefer the HD600 for very good reasons.

I mainly want something with better lows than what my 558s can produce but I usually look for something more neutral. The X2s seem to be a great choice but they are within the same price range as the two sennheisers with the HD600s being the cheapest of the bunch which is nice. Oh, and if the source (if that is the right term) matters, I have an Asus Xonar Essence STX soundcard to drive them.

The Philips X2 is a better headphone in my mind since it doesn't have limp dick bass like the Sennheisers. The HD6x0 have better bass than the HD558 but it still doesn't go down deep nor has it got a lot of impact.

The only benefit of the HD600 and HD650 is that they work pretty well with high output impedance amplifiers (so vacuum tube amps) due to their 300 ohm impedance. That and the parts are all easily replaceable and repairable.

MegalonJJ

Banned
Fiio E6 is...well it's basically rubbish. At least the included cables make up for the cost (it would have cost me more to get the cables separately).

Looking forward to the Cmoy v2.03 now.

thatsrightfoo

Neo Member
So I have a AKG K712 and Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear (2014 version).

I am looking for a portable headphone with good bass, smooth midrange and soft treble.

I like the looks and portability of the V-Moda M100 but the tonal balance is too uneven and harsh, especially their treble. I find the 2015 Momentum Over Ear pretty similar to the 2014 version.

I really enjoyed the overall sound signature of the Sony XB950BT, but it just looks goofy.

I thought about getting the M100 and eq-ing in Spotify/iTunes, but I've heard that it creates more problems in other areas of the frequency.

What do you recommend? :)

PS: I'm leaning towards the Sony MDR-1A at this time but I'm not sure if the signature would be similar to the Momentum I already own.

thatsrightfoo

Neo Member
Thanks. I should clarify that I'd like to have a portable headphone principally for gym use.

Despite the sound signature and high degree of comfort, I am not a big fan of Momentum's design for public or gym use.

Would the Sony MDR1-A offer a similar experience as Momentum Over Ear or are they are more laid back?

Thanks again!

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Thanks. I should clarify that I'd like to have a portable headphone principally for gym use.

Despite the sound signature and high degree of comfort, I am not a big fan of Momentum's design for public or gym use.

Would the Sony MDR1-A offer a similar experience as Momentum Over Ear or are they are more laid back?

Thanks again!

Why is that? It's essentially the perfect portable. Compact, light, stylish...

thatsrightfoo

Neo Member
The Sony isn't any more ergonomic or portable and I believe weighs slightly more...I'd be looking at budget in ears or if you don't like those then something really cheap and ergonomic like the Koss KSC25 for gym use.

Thanks. My main hesitation with using the Momentum is design; not sound or weight.

Agree that Sony aren't foldable; however, the upcoming Sony MDR-1ABT look a lot better to me than the Sennheiser 2.0 Wireless/Non-Wireless and are cheaper than 2.0 wireless.

Good to know about the Koss, as well.

Hi, HeadphoneGAF. I've been reading a bit of this thread (mainly the first page and last page or two), and I'm looking for some recommendations. My dogs recently destroyed my wife's Sony something noise cancelling headphones, and she wants to replace them with something nicer.

Her main priority is noise isolation, and it's unlikely whatever we get will ever be amped. She's interested in the Bose Quietcomfort, which is supposed to be stellar for noise isolation, but I was hoping to get something a little less pricey.

So far, I've been looking at the Audiotechnica M50S and the Breyerdynamic DT 770. How is the noise isolation on these compared to the Bose?

Or is there something better you can recommend? Thanks in advance!

HiResDes

If she wants active noise cancelling headphones and is only concerned with isolation then the Bose QC25 are the way to go.

If can convince her that passive isolation is okay I'd go with the Brainwavz Hm5, M50, or Soundmagic HP150, or AKG K553.

When listening at reasonable volumes she's not going to be able to hear much outside noise unless she's on plane or mowing the lawn.

The issue/challenge is that most hurt my ears. The only success I have had are with the Klipsch image oval ear bud that molds to my ear instead of being a large rubber piece.

The only other ear piece design I see like this is on the Bose Sound-Tru line.

Does anyone know how the sound quality on these two compare?

Also is the noise cancellation on the 20i from Bose worth it?

Thanks!

hitgirl

HiResDes

The issue/challenge is that most hurt my ears. The only success I have had are with the Klipsch image oval ear bud that molds to my ear instead of being a large rubber piece.

The only other ear piece design I see lik e this is on the Bose Sound-Tru line.

Thanks!
Active noise cancelling is never really necessary and therefore a bit of waste and usually is representative of a bad value. Also aside from a few Bose models they rarely offer a good value in terms of sound.

I honestly dont detect much of a difference between the models you're referring to and every other in earphone. Most models have different sized tips and you can always buy replacement tips like Sony Hybrids and comply if you feel as though they're not comfortable.

Anyway if I had to chose from your narrow selections I'd most definitely go with the Klipsch Image X10.

HiResDes

wringing my hands over this. Can't decide between the two -

Sennheiser RS 185 RF Wireless Headphone System - $399
Sennheiser RS 175 RF Wireless Headphone System - $279.99

My main use will be movies and video games. Which makes me sort of want to get the cheaper model because it has bass boost and two surround modes, it is closed back. The more expensive model has better build quiality, open back, and velour pads. But it doesn't have surround modes or bass boost...
I wouldn't be looking at either of those models, but I also wouldn't be worried about bass boost or built-in surround sound, which seem like gimmicks to me. The Sennheisers utilize outdated tech and are no longer a good value in the wireless realm.

Pendulum Stance S1, Philips M1, Sony MDR1BT, and Koss BT540 would be my top choices.

The only other ear piece design I see like this is on the Bose Sound-Tru line.

Thanks!

Klipsch X10 is kinda meh SQ-wise (too warm and veiled, I don't even think it's as good as the Radius DDM), but it's one of the most comfy phones ever made IMO

Tonza

I was browsing a electronics store near that is closing/changing operator and they had one bundle with Sony MDR-A1, NWZ-A15 (High-Res player) and a 32gb micro sd card in the clearout bin. The price for the bundle was 100 euros so I had to grab it. Now to test which I like more the V-Moda M80 or the MDR-A1 as a portable set. I have Philips X1 as my home headphones.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I'm replacing my AT-esw9 headphones. I love them but they are extremely fragile. Broke them 3 times just by taking them off. Shitty headband design and the cost of repairs was adding up.

Might go with senheisser or Bayer this time around.

STAX is out for delivery!

It left Japan on Sunday and is already on a USPS van heading my way. That's pretty amazing.

Yeah EMS is absolutely bonkers fast. I'm not sure why international post is so much faster than the system we currently have in place here in the states :l
You should order the replacement 507 pads as well. The stock pads hurt my ears after a while

andylsun

Yeah EMS is absolutely bonkers fast. I'm not sure why international post is so much faster than the system we currently have in place here in the states :l
You should order the replacement 507 pads as well. The stock pads hurt my ears after a while

Flying to Hong Kong on Sunday, may see if I can pick up a pair there. I'll probably leave it stock for a good while first, to get used to them and change them if I need.

HiResDes

Alright I was going to make a new thread, but I don't feel like overhauling the OP much since I usually update it every two weeks or so anyway. If anybody else wants to make the new thread go ahead.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Alright I was going to make a new thread, but I don't feel like overhauling the OP much since I usually update it every two weeks or so anyway. If anybody else wants to make the new thread go ahead.

Go ahead and use the same OP.

LQX

Well GAF I think I might be heading into the audiophile territory. I upgraded from a Sennheiser HD 598 to a 650 and I not hearing much of a quality difference so far. Less distortion at high volumes with the 650 but at my preferred volume they are sort of comparable. Oh well, still have to put in way more listening.

Also I decided to get a 518 about a month ago as it was so cheap and sounds very similar to the 598.

Question: Would upgrading from a FiiO E9 Amp to say a Schiit Magni 2 add much to my listening enjoyment?

MegalonJJ

Banned
The JDS Cmoy v2.03 arrived today! Very fast considering I ordered it on Friday and I'm in the UK.

Included notes on the tweaks made as I noted that I would be using it with the DT 770/80s....I don't really understand the acronyms but it sounds awesome!! Way better than the Fiio E6.

hitgirl

I wouldn't be looking at either of those models, but I also wouldn't be worried about bass boost or built-in surround sound, which seem like gimmicks to me. The Sennheisers utilize outdated tech and are no longer a good value in the wireless realm.

Pendulum Stance S1, Philips M1, Sony MDR1BT, and Koss BT540 would be my top choices.

Bluetooth has been consistently unreliable for me in delivery a high quality home theatre experience through headphones.

Deadstar

Can I get some help please? I'm looking for a pair of headphones that will be comfortable to wear with glasses and lightweight. I hate the feeling of very heavy headphones on my head. I'd like over the ear headphones as well so I only feel the cups around my ears. I'm using Sennheisers but the cups are falling apart now so I need to replace them.

Sounds is not important but obviously the better it is the happier I will be. I would prefer wired and I don't need any fancy features, just an 1/8th in plug. I also need the headphones to be as wide as possible. I hate the feeling of headphones crushing my head, especially with glasses, so no collapsable headphones. Can anyone recommend something that might be good that's less than $70?

I had bookmarked some headphones that were red and black that were apparently only released in Japan but somehow I lost the link. They were on amazon for around $55.

HiResDes

Can I get some help please? I'm looking for a pair of headphones that will be comfortable to wear with glasses and lightweight. I hate the feeling of very heavy headphones on my head. I'd like over the ear headphones as well so I only feel the cups around my ears. I'm using Sennheisers but the cups are falling apart now so I need to replace them.

Sounds is not important but obviously the better it is the happier I will be. I would prefer wired and I don't need any fancy features, just an 1/8th in plug. I also need the headphones to be as wide as possible. I hate the feeling of headphones crushing my head, especially with glasses, so no collapsable headphones. Can anyone recommend something that might be good that's less than $70?

I had bookmarked some headphones that were red and black that were apparently only released in Japan but somehow I lost the link. They were on amazon for around $55.
Creative Aurvana Live or JVC S680s with HM5 pads. If they don't need to be closed also consider the Takstar HI2050's.

Top Bottom