• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Throw in a terminal remake too. Agreed on not remaking the same maps again. Enough lockout and midship. I'm just over the MLG/HCS stuff, it's not what I or my friends want from Halo for the most time spent playing. MCC is riddled with it in social.
Terminal would be huge. A lot of fans would be pleased I think if that happened. Agreed on the MLG/HCS comment. I think I would have disagreed with you a long time ago, but it's easy to see how detrimental the sweaty matches are to the general halo population. On a side note, it was a big letdown for me that Halo 5 didn't have developer made BTB maps, which is where a lot of fun can be had.

Terminal would be huge. A lot of fans would be pleased I think if that happened. Agreed on the MLG/HCS comment. I think I would have disagreed with you a long time ago, but it's easy to see how detrimental the sweaty matches are to the general halo population. On a side note, it was a big letdown for me that Halo 5 didn't have developer made BTB maps, which is where a lot of fun can be had.

It's rough to go from 4v4 sweats on small arena maps or less impact to game outcome and some sandbox fun with BTB. A larger BTB is only going to multiply that, super fun and a big sandbox but overall individually hard to sway the outcome of a game on your own. Social or more classic H1-H3 default Halo you could affect the outcome as a 1-2 man fireteam searching 4v4 or 5v5 playlists. You're wanting to be competitive but enjoy the sandbox and maps that don't enable sweats or spawn killing with very simplistic sightlines etc. It gets really boring really fast. Then again I've always preferred objective over slayer so I'm in the minority to start with.

It's rough to go from 4v4 sweats on small arena maps or less impact to game outcome and some sandbox fun with BTB. A larger BTB is only going to multiply that, super fun and a big sandbox but overall individually hard to sway the outcome of a game on your own. Social or more classic H1-H3 default Halo you could affect the outcome as a 1-2 man fireteam searching 4v4 or 5v5 playlists. You're wanting to be competitive but enjoy the sandbox and maps that don't enable sweats or spawn killing with very simplistic sightlines etc. It gets really boring really fast. Then again I've always preferred objective over slayer so I'm in the minority to start with.
Objective games bring back a lot of memories. Pre-Reach I loved objective games. I loved the BTB objective games especially. 1-bomb on Terminal, CTF on Relic, 1-flag on Headlong. 4v4 flag and bomb games were amazing on Zanzibar. And I know what you mean with regard to a small group of players being able to make a difference on games. Not sure the reason, but Halo 5 it was nearly impossible to turn the tide alone.

Last edited:
BTB is one of my favorite modes and it sucks how it was neglected in Halo 5 in favor of Warzone. Really glad they're actually focusing on it again, though it's probably a byproduct of REQ packs/lootboxes being a no-no these days.

Excluding the fact that I haven't played Halo 5 in a long time, warzone assault was always my favorite warzone game-type.

BTB is one of my favorite modes and it sucks how it was neglected in Halo 5 in favor of Warzone. Really glad they're actually focusing on it again, though it's probably a byproduct of REQ packs/lootboxes being a no-no these days.
Yes same. Did 343 say they aren't doing req packs anymore? Everything we have seen of the customization still has that req pack feel.

Edit: I had seen people talking about cursed halo on Twitter but didn't have a clue what they were talking about. All my questions have been answered lol.

Last edited:
There is absolutely no way they try REQ packs again. The pitchforks would come out in an instant, especially since governments have been going after lootboxes in the last few years. Even Gears 5 removed them after Gears 4 did it. But...
Everything we have seen of the customization still has that req pack feel.
I have a feeling they WERE going to be in whatever the original Halo 5 sequel was. I distinctly remember them saying they liked the system and it would carry into future games. That all seems to have "mysteriously" gone away now. What you're seeing might be the remnants of it.

EDIT: Also, the development reboot is rumored to have happened in 2017/2018. 2017 is also when the Battlefront 2 lootbox clusterfuck happened. So... yeah.

Last edited:
I was really hoping for more Infinite news. No mention of the next preview. No mention of Gamescom. They do briefly tease a piece of equipment called the Repulsor but no further clarification is given.
TMCC is apparently going to have some big updates soon, including Season 8 and more, with a TMCC flight in the works.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Same. Is it going to be after Gamescom? September? They gotta start soon... I really want to see story footage alongside the MP playtests.

I've seen it being theorized that they're waiting for the COD announcement to really go all out. I guess Spencer kind of alluded to that in that one interview.

This is a year old but I hadn't seen it before. Aside from the F-bombs every so many seconds I really enjoyed it. Really encapsulates what is so amazing about Halo. In this video he's specifically talking about Halo: CE but still. When there was a thread on gaming side a while back asking of the two which of Metroid Prime and Halo Combat Evolved was better/more influential, this is why Halo CE poops all over Metroid Prime every day of the week. And I love Metroid Prime. One of the best games on the Gamecube. But it's outclassed on another level by Halo CE.

Agreed:

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

BTB is veeery sweaty in the MCC.
Had to quit three matches in a row because the games new sbmm or whatever systems kept matching me against groups and i meanwhile get the no thumbs and afk folks... totally fair and enjoyable /s
Oh and fuck this pointless quitbans. Shit shouldnt be a thing in social

I've seen it being theorized that they're waiting for the COD announcement to really go all out. I guess Spencer kind of alluded to that in that one interview.
I think you might be right:
"We are heading into the end of August here, and we still do not have released dates for two of the biggest games of the year, Call of Duty Vanguard and Halo Infinite. What’s going on? The answer is the idea that these two games, along with another high-profile shooter, Battlefield 2042, are all playing release date musical chairs, as no one wants to land too close to another game on the list, lest it dim their own prospects."

EDIT:
BTB is veeery sweaty in the MCC.
Had to quit three matches in a row because the games new sbmm or whatever systems kept matching me against groups and i meanwhile get the no thumbs and afk folks... totally fair and enjoyable /s
Oh and fuck this pointless quitbans. Shit shouldnt be a thing in social
They need to have join in progress functioning at a high level in social games imo and not punish quitters with bans like you said. As a person who plays solo primarily I really hate getting matched up against full grouped up parties. It's frustratng. I've complained about it many times, but don't have a good solution either. I want a full on solo queue list for everything haha but that isn't realistic. I do dislike the current implementation of skill matching in Halo. It basically ensures that every game is super competitive and sometimes we just need a break. I think I'm in favor of returning to a ranked playlist game where you rank up and only play people within so many levels of your rank. Give me Halo 2 or Halo 3's system with the option to jump into social with less stringent skill matching in social. In Halo 2 and Halo 3 when I needed a break I'd go play in some playlists where I hadn't ranked up as high or jump into social. At the time, social was definitely less stressful. I don't know if that is due to everyone knowing how to play halo these days verses then or for some other reason.

EDIT2:

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Halo 5 might have the worst vehicle combat of any game I have ever played. It feels like controlling a paper weight on a fucking noon walk lol

Maybe I’m just salty because BTB feels unplayable in a Warthog.

I played Halo 5 for the first time in months last night. Did several games of warzone assault. It's was fun. Afterward I decided to re-download the full TMCC game, which is still downloading currently. I'm close to 130 gigs so far... But I did boot up some some games today.

I can't comment on vehicles because I was never good at them, especially in Halo 5. But how do I unlock stuff in TMCC? In particular how do I unlock skins for combat evolved? I know it's all related to seasons and the current season is 7. So does that mean it's too late to go back and unlock season 1 stuff?

Last edited:
I played Halo 5 for the first time in months last night. Did several games of warzone assault. It's was fun. Afterward I decided to re-download the full TMCC game, which is still downloading currently. I'm close to 130 gigs so far... But I did boot up some some games today.

I can't comment on vehicles because I was never good at them, especially in Halo 5. But how do I unlock stuff in TMCC? In particular how do I unlock skins for combat evolved? I know it's all related to seasons and the current season is 7. So does that mean it's too late to go back and unlock season 1 stuff?
No, you can go back at any time, all the season passes are permanently available. You need points to unlock the stuff in them, which you get by doing challenges.

No, you can go back at any time, all the season passes are permanently available. You need points to unlock the stuff in them, which you get by doing challenges.
Okay i'll have to figure out how to switch the season. When I go to the menu right now it only shows season 7. Thanks!

EDIT: got it figured out. triggers toggle through the seasons lol.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Okay i'll have to figure out how to switch the season. When I go to the menu right now it only shows season 7. Thanks!
You can switch by using the triggers. The bumpers navigate to different pages within the season itself.

You must purchase everything on each “page” of a season before you can progress in it.

Last edited:

Corgi1985

Banned
They could always release one of these games in fucking january or some shit, but nope! Gotta sandwich this between battlefield and CoD! For fuck sake games industry, fall isn't the only season of the year.

stickkidsam

They could always release one of these games in fucking january or some shit, but nope! Gotta sandwich this between battlefield and CoD! For fuck sake games industry, fall isn't the only season of the year.
You can thank Holiday Cheer (see: Black Friday, Christmas shopping, and the resulting Running of the Retards).

Havoc2049

I busted out MCC today for the first time in a while. I worked on some Campaign Achievements and went over 5k in my MCC gamer score. Then played around 8 CE multiplayer matches. Was a little rusty the first few matches, but then got back into the grove and won like 4 or 5 matches in a row, with a positive K/D of 2+ to 1 in those matches. We even had several Steaktaculars and I was having Infinite bot flashbacks. 😜

Last edited:

II_JumPeR_I

They need to have join in progress functioning at a high level in social games imo and not punish quitters with bans like you said. As a person who plays solo primarily I really hate getting matched up against full grouped up parties. It's frustratng. I've complained about it many times, but don't have a good solution either. I want a full on solo queue list for everything haha but that isn't realistic. I do dislike the current implementation of skill matching in Halo. It basically ensures that every game is super competitive and sometimes we just need a break. I think I'm in favor of returning to a ranked playlist game where you rank up and only play people within so many levels of your rank. Give me Halo 2 or Halo 3's system with the option to jump into social with less stringent skill matching in social. In Halo 2 and Halo 3 when I needed a break I'd go play in some playlists where I hadn't ranked up as high or jump into social. At the time, social was definitely less stressful. I don't know if that is due to everyone knowing how to play halo these days verses then or for some other reason.
Agree on this. I miss non sweaty social. I mean sure you had close matches aswell in the old games but not like it is now in MCC with its SBMM crap.

That SBMM will probably kill my desire to play Infinite PvP.
I hopebthe game has Firefight but so far it looks like not the case :/ 6 years etc

Last edited:
Ok gang, I have no idea if this is legit, but it looks like main menu stuff may have leaked. I kinda hope it's not real because no Firefight OR Theater would be really, really lame. :/

Ok gang, I have no idea if this is legit, but it looks like main menu stuff may have leaked. I kinda hope it's not real because no Firefight OR Theater would be really, really lame. :/

I don't know if I'd put too much weight into an early menu screen, but it would really suck if theater was missing. That's been around since Halo 3. About the only reason I could imagine it being missing is if for some reason the new engine made it more difficult?

stickkidsam

I could’ve sworn somebody said Theater would be in the game. I need to look into this because that’d be such a step backwards… again.

edit: An article on Pc Gamer states that there was confirmation of Theater’s return around the time of the multiplayer trailer dropping. They don’t specify WHERE it was confirmed though so…

Here’s a link

Last edited:
I could’ve sworn somebody said Theater would be in the game. I need to look into this because that’d be such a step backwards… again.

edit: An article on Pc Gamer states that there was confirmation of Theater’s return around the time of the multiplayer trailer dropping. They don’t specify WHERE it was confirmed though so…

Here’s a link

From your link:
"Our overview focussed a lot on the return of Big Team Battle (now 12v12 instead of 8v8) and smaller-scale arena fights. But we also got confirmation that in-game map editor Forge will return, along with the Theatre replay mode."
I hope they're right
Season 3 Please GIF by The Simpsons

Last edited:
And just like that there are more screen leaks, one showing a theater option:

Last edited:
Ok, yeah, Theater is in, they just put it under a different tab for some reason. Phew.

That means the only "traditional" mode that isn't in is Firefight... yet again. :(

Last edited:
That sucks. They really need to work on MCC's ban system, it can really fuck over people who have glitches like you did or legit disconnections.
Yeah I'm not even sure what caused it. My connection is fine. After the ban I went back to social CE games. I'm a sucker for carrots dangling on sticks, so I have been trying to complete challenges for points to spend. Occasionally I'll get a bunch of experience and go through multiple ranks/levels at once. Not sure what triggers the extra bonus experience.

Last edited:
I'm going after the MAW weapon skins for Season 7. A grind, but they were my favorite skins in Halo 4.

Nice! I'll probably regret my decision to go straight through all of season 2 first. CE is the main playlist I frequent, so it makes sense. But I should have looked at a list of all the options in the other seasons first before diving in. Earlier i went through Halo Reach's level Nightfall 7 times doing speed runs and then I also kept doing the assassinations at the start of the level and restarting from last checkpoint to get my seasonal challenge finished. Got my hot rod warthog skin among other things.
halo-mcc-season-2-vehicles-750x420.jpg

Last edited:
I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to go back to nightfall and get more high rank kills off the first elite in the level. I've seen that people do it that way and also with a locater on sword base oni. For the Keep Killer challenge.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

I'm trying to decide whether or not I want to go back to nightfall and get more high rank kills off the first elite in the level. I've seen that people do it that way and also with a locater on sword base oni. For the Keep Killer challenge.
What's the alternative? By the way if anyone wants to play some Halo I will be on for the next hour.

stickkidsam

ALRIIIIGHT got a running riot in duos. Felt like the skill matching wasn’t very fair for them though. Halo 5 may have shit vehicle gameplay but man its arena combat is something special. Thruster Packs, Hovering, Ledge Grabbing (I hate clambering as a word… I don’t know why) and Sliding all mix so well together in the game.

The game may suffer from being WAY too high on nitro, but man can it feel rad. I’m glad Infinite is showing to strike a balance so far (sure hope we can have a thruster pack pick up though).

Top Bottom