• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

YukiOnna

It doesn't effect me, but that's pretty crazy. Forge must have been in a pretty shit state if they delayed it an extra 6 months.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

This is unacceptable IMO. Just delay the fucking thing again if you're not gonna have core features (AGAIN) at launch.
Staten says they considered delaying the game till they launched with it, but instead opted to just go with Campaign + MP because it's a live game and they didn't want to delay anymore lol.

All the good will they just earned from the flight is about to go right down the toilet. This is Halo 5 all over again.

Their Gamescom showing better be fucking mindblowing because they're in trouble right now.

You've got to be fucking kidding me.

Yeah they mention that in the video. What I gathered below:
  • Campaign coop fundamental to Halo experience. But won't be at launch nor will forge. Difficult decision as they are not ready. Releasing as part of seasonal road map next year. Targeting campaign coop in season 2 (3 months after game release) and forge in season 3 (6 months after game release).

My thing is, what else is gonna be missing at launch?

They've only talked about campaign and PVP being there. Is it JUST gonna be that? With this news I'm not exactly banking on customs/theater/file share/firefight/etc. being there at launch either.

What exactly are you getting when you pay $60?

stickkidsam

My thing is, what else is gonna be missing at launch?

They've only talked about campaign and PVP being there. Is it JUST gonna be that? With this news I'm not exactly banking on customs/theater/file share/firefight/etc. being there at launch either.

What exactly are you getting when you pay $60?
Unfortunately pretty much just campaign. Everything else can be tossed in with multiplayer and justified with “it free tho”. That’s a cynical take of course, but it’s because I see so many people justify any lacking element outside of campaign with that. As for if people aren’t still paying for campaign and season passes. I feel like people forget that these things aren’t actually free because they are built on the promise that people will still fund it via in game purchases/services. It’s just the admission price is gone for multiplayer (which admittedly is pretty awesome in some ways).

Last edited:
Coop campaign is a must at launch. I wonder what is causing the problem. Release the multiplayer side on schedule. Release the campaign once it's ready. Everyone will be pissed regardless but releasing campaign without coop possible is probably a worse alternative.

Edit: I'm seeing a lot of unhappy gamers on Twitter in relation to campaign coop news.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Ya know, the news sucks farts out a grunts painfully crafted buttohole, but I at least respect the honesty. Holy shit is it refreshing.
Yeah, at least they were clear cut about it. I think they knew it was gonna have a big reaction, too so they wanted to get it out of the way right now.

I guess it just depends on how you look at it: is $70 for a nonlinear/open Campaign of Halo (+ future stories) enough for you? or will you wait 3 months.

It really sucks for players who normally go through the campaign coop style. In my mind I don't see why delaying the game for an extra 3 months is such a horrible thing. Release the multiplayer and take the extra time to polish the campaign even further. In my mind it's legit the only reasonable option. Are Halo fans not going to be able to tide themselves over with the matchmaking side for 3 months? Seriously?

Delay the campaign. Make everyone angry, but ideally/hopefully fans get over it once the campaign finally releases. Unfortunately once the campaign releases without coop there is no way to go back. It's a done deal and people have long memories.

So this is currently making the rounds. I have absolutely no idea if it's true or not so take it with a grain of salt, but it comes from an alleged employee on reddit.

The TLDR is they originally wanted to turn Halo into a generic Far Cry game, but then after Chris Lee got booted out and Staten came in he was like "Lol, no" and has been brute-forcing the entire thing into a more traditional Halo campaign.

bIAri4A.png

YukiOnna

If that's true, thank god Staten scrapped the boring Far Cry approach. I don't mind if the campaign cut down the fat since we already know we're getting continuing stories later down the road. At the very least, they seem confident in the game so I'm content with that.

II_JumPeR_I

All the good will they just earned from the flight is about to go right down the toilet. This is Halo 5 all over again.

Their Gamescom showing better be fucking mindblowing because they're in trouble right now.
That video made it sound like that we still wont see campaign anytime soon. I guess the gamescom show will have a very dry announcement with Microsoft just dropping the release date and no new trailer or something

Last edited:

YukiOnna

That video made it sound like that we still wont see campaign anytime soon. I guess the gamescom show will have a very dry announcement with Microsoft just dropping the release date and no new trailer or something
Eh. All he said was that once everything is set and the current phase is done with, they'll be showing off more or campaign footage. There's only a couple months left in the year so I don't think we'll be waiting that long.

If next week goes by without any big (good) news then I'll really wonder what the hell they're doing. The community's on fire right now and it'd be pretty stupid to do this without having anything to "smooth it over" with shortly after.

So this is currently making the rounds. I have absolutely no idea if it's true or not so take it with a grain of salt, but it comes from an alleged employee on reddit.

The TLDR is they originally wanted to turn Halo into a generic Far Cry game, but then after Chris Lee got booted out and Staten came in he was like "Lol, no" and has been brute-forcing the entire thing into a more traditional Halo campaign.

bIAri4A.png
I hope the execs come to their senses and realize that this game needs more time. Put out trash and people will remember trash. Doesn't matter how annoyed fans are about having to wait longer. If the game needs time it needs time. So am I understanding things correctly and that Chris Lee was basically a disaster? Like if he was responsible for Halo 5's campaign why on earth would they let him anywhere near Infinite? What a nightmare...

And holy moly what would this game be like if Joseph Staten hadn't come aboard.

Last edited:
I hope the execs come to their senses and realize that this game needs more time. Put out trash and people will remember trash. Doesn't matter how annoyed fans are about having to wait longer. If the game needs time it needs time. So am I understanding things correctly and that Chris Lee was basically a disaster? Like if he was responsible for Halo 5's campaign why on earth would they let him anywhere near Infinite? What a nightmare...

And holy moly what would this game be like if Joseph Staten hadn't come aboard.
I feel like most of 343's leadership (aside from Staten) is a disaster TBH.

I don't think they'll delay it again. I wish they would though. I think the best we can hope for is that Staten will salvage whatever the hell gets released this holiday, just like they did with MCC. And maybe some other people in 343 leadership will be kicked out like Chris Lee was, it sounds harsh but they've had more than enough chances at this point.

I feel like most of 343's leadership (aside from Staten) is a disaster TBH.

I don't think they'll delay it again. I wish they would though. I think the best we can hope for is that Staten will salvage whatever the hell gets released this holiday, just like they did with MCC. And maybe some other people in 343 leadership will be kicked out like Chris Lee was, it sounds harsh but they've had more than enough chances at this point.
At this point I'm just hoping the multiplayer side is a home run. Cuz I'll be playing that for years

YukiOnna

I think the campaign will be fine, too. I'm glad he played through the campaign upon joining and dealt with it swiftly over the year, lol. Halo really doesn't need the bloat, the story length is fine.

I think the one thing a lot of fans are missing is that if Joseph Staten hadn't come along when he did we'd probably be getting a pretty crummy game. It probably would have even released on time.

But I'll take all the extra delays knowing he is there trying to straighten up a lot of stuff over getting who knows what 343 were originally making under the guidance of Chris Lee and others. Like sigh of relief lol.

Oh Staten coming in is probably the best thing to happen to 343 in... ever. But my thing with that is I think he should've been there from the beginning, along with Marty, Eric Nylund, and a few others. They should've been what the studio was formed around. And I still to this day have no idea why it didn't happen.

YukiOnna

Yeah. At the very least, the game is going to grow only to be better with future campaigns, MP, BR, etc. Co-op & Forge having a tentative release assures me more than it not being mentioned at all; hopefully Firefight is sometime down the road, too.

I still don't give a flying crap about the visuals, but its the gameplay stuff mentioned above and adjustments made that are actually important.

Yeah. At the very least, the game is going to grow only to be better with future campaigns, MP, BR, etc. Co-op & Forge having a tentative release assures me more than it not being mentioned at all; hopefully Firefight is sometime down the road, too.

I still don't give a flying crap about the visuals, but its the gameplay stuff mentioned above and adjustments made that are actually important.
So in the video one of the issues they discuss about getting campaign coop delivered is having to make checkpoints work with multiple players in an open world game where there is potential for all 4 players to go off and start doing their own thing. Could 343 implement like a soft kill zone where if players split up and get too far separated the game issues a countdown for players to return to each other. If the timer gets to zero the game simply ports everyone to the group leader. Which the group leader could be assigned before the game starts.

Also is it just me or are a lot of the reactions to the news of no forge or campaign coop at launch a little embarrassing? Like yes it's frustrating and 343 has had issues with game launches pretty much every game they have made, but no that doesn't mean that everyone at 343 should be fired, or that they are the worst devs on the planet. I'm not going around on Twitter telling 343 to go bleep themselves. Like I get it all the disappointment but this doesn't mean that Halo Infinite will be the next Halo 5. Some of the things going around are just ridiculous. I'm not sure I have ever seen so much profanity used in tweets before either with regard to 343. Gotta maintain some composure and professionalism people lol.

I think what I'm seeing now is the way I used to be during my first few years on NeoGAF. I was an embarrassment. Probably still am at times but I'll keep working on trying to be a better human being 😜

Last edited:

YukiOnna

So in the video one of the issues they discuss about getting campaign coop delivered is having to make checkpoints work with multiple players in an open world game where there is potential for all 4 players to go off and start doing their own thing. Could 343 implement like a soft kill zone where if players split up and get too far separated the game issues a countdown for players to return to each other. If the timer gets to zero the game simply ports everyone to the group leader. Which the group leader could be assigned before the game starts.

Also is it just me or are a lot of the reactions to the news of no forge or campaign coop at launch a little embarrassing? Like yes it's frustrating and 343 has had issues with game launches pretty much every game they have made, but no that doesn't mean that everyone at 343 should be fired, or that they are the worst devs on the planet. I'm not going around on Twitter telling 343 to go bleep themselves. Like I get it all the disappointment but this doesn't mean that Halo Infinite will be the next Halo 5. Some of the things going around are just ridiculous. I'm not sure I have ever seen so much profanity used in tweets before either with regard to 343. Gotta maintain some composure and professionalism people lol.

I think what I'm seeing now is the way I used to be during my first few years on NeoGAF. I was an embarrassment. Probably still am at times but I'll keep working on being a better human being 😜
I agree. Feels like quite an overreaction on top of a return to pushing silly narratives, but maybe its just because I'm "whatever" to news like this. It's a common thing now in the industry, shit happens. It sucks, but no need to start a witch hunt or flaming individuals. Co-op and Forge being delayed has no bearing on the campaign and current MP being developed and it hasn't changed my perception on the beta either.

But then with daily console wars, nothing surprises me anymore.

For the open world difficulties, I think they could probably look to Borderlands or even the first level of CE for pointers on how it should function and be structured. Although I will say, and I always say this whenever a situation like this pops up for any game - if they're having so much trouble getting the open world to work... maybe they just shouldn't have made it open world? Just a thought.

In regards to the reactions, I don't think all of it is overreactions or console wars. They've had half a decade to develop this game, it even got delayed by an entire year, and it still isn't going to launch with features that past Halos have had on day one more than a decade ago. At some point you need to put your foot down and call this shit out, and ask what the fuck is going on. Now are there some people just going crazy and using it as ammo for console wars? Yeah, but I think a lot of the legit disappointment by actual Halo fans is warranted.

343's had chance after chance now, and a franchise can only take so many blows before people just stop caring.

Last edited:

YukiOnna

Think the problem is, this game was set to launch 2021 no matter what because MS wants that tentpole title advantage for Holiday. A year was likely as much as they'd allow.

Eh, isn't Forza coming out this holiday? I think they could shift that to being their big title instead. Sony's holiday slate is barren now that Horizon 2 is apparently being delayed so they'd still have an advantage in terms of exclusives.

I doubt they'll do it, but like I said before delaying it again would be my choice.

For the open world difficulties, I think they could probably look to Borderlands or even the first level of CE for pointers on how it should function and be structured. Although I will say, and I always say this whenever a situation like this pops up for any game - if they're having so much trouble getting the open world to work... maybe they just shouldn't have made it open world? Just a thought.

In regards to the reactions, I don't think all of it is overreactions or console wars. They've had half a decade to develop this game, it even got delayed by an entire year, and it still isn't going to launch with features that past Halos have had on day one more than a decade ago. At some point you need to put your foot down and call this shit out, and ask what the fuck is going on. Now are there some people just going crazy and using it as ammo for console wars? Yeah, but I think a lot of the legit disappointment by actual Halo fans is warranted.

343's had chance after chance now, and a franchise can only take so many blows before people just stop caring.
True. I agree that not all of the reactions are overreactions. For me it is the way some people are choosing to carry out those reactions. Obviously it's not everyone, but on Twitter there is a lot of unnecessary vitriol going around. I'm just hesitant to join in with the fire everyone 343 sucks mob. I would like to know everything about the behind the scenes before rushing to conclusions. I definitely don't blame the devs and suspect the blame is all on management. But there are several circumstances that do warrant some consideration. 343 redid the engine for Infinite. 343 changed the game direction after Joseph Staten came on board - biggest sign that it was a management issue. COVID forcing people to work from home.

TMCC is becoming one of my all-time favorite games. It's one of those things where I would have been willing to wait another 10 years for it if needed. I don't stop caring about Halo. It's a timeless game, so if 343 needs more time to make Infinite right then I want them to make it right, regardless if the delay was completely their own fault and self-inflicted.

Eh, isn't Forza coming out this holiday? I think they could shift that to being their big title instead. Sony's holiday slate is barren now that Horizon 2 is apparently being delayed so they'd still have an advantage in terms of exclusives.

I doubt they'll do it, but like I said before delaying it again would be my choice.
Yeah I think the best course of action would be to delay the campaign until coop is ready. But I don't think MS will allow it and then you have to deal with the fans of Halo that don't want to wait for coop. As long as multiplayer comes out this year I'm great, but if that needs time too then I guess it needs time too.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

You take that back! 😂
EPXZm48.png
That's what makes Halo CE fun!

Back to Halo Infinite, I believe Staten will deliver a solid product. I just think he walked into a shit show and has had to battle to get Infinite into shape, to avoid a TMCC launch disaster or another shyt tier Halo 5 campaign. Already, he seems to have brought the fun and humor back to the Halo community. Also, the limited tech multiplayer beta kinda rocked!

They sure as shit better show SOMETHING good because from what I've seen the heat from that announcement hasn't really died down.

Personally as a big Destiny 2 guy I'm hoping the rumors/leaks about a crossover turn out to be true.

They sure as shit better show SOMETHING good because from what I've seen the heat from that announcement hasn't really died down.

Personally as a big Destiny 2 guy I'm hoping the rumors/leaks about a crossover turn out to be true.

I truly want PvE in Infinite, with the scale of Destiny strikes, raids, lairs, public events and loot. Just without the stupid grinding and forcefulness of D2. I know in my heart none of that is there at launch if things like coop aren't even making it.

I truly want PvE in Infinite, with the scale of Destiny strikes, raids, lairs, public events and loot. Just without the stupid grinding and forcefulness of D2. I know in my heart none of that is there at launch if things like coop aren't even making it.
That would be quite a switch for Halo but I'd give it a try if they did it.

EDIT: So far this gamescom is pretty boring and I'm having trouble paying attention to it.

EDIT2: Saw this going around. It's more of the same Helmet leaks that we saw earlier but these have some colors put to them.

Last edited:
I'm starting to understand why they showed that gameplay section for the 8mins. It's tight and condensed and probably only what they really had ready go with razor focus; as well as all those engine and polish bits missing.

Not seeing Infinite again amongst coop news has me thinking who is the marketing strategist over there. The optics are shite. We are heading into September now and this thing has to go gold by early November at the very latest for December release.

Likely massively behind the 8 ball still. Fucking Halo man.

Top Bottom