• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

stickkidsam

According to leaks... we can.
Trigun-Vash-Crying.png

Welp I suck at Halo 4. Not sure why I am even bothering with the King Quattro challenge. I think I played all afternoon and ended up with only 3 wins out of the needed 15.

Well gents, the COD reveal is being heavily rumored to be on Thursday. If that's true I'd say the chances of a big Infinite blowout at Gamescom are now even higher.

II_JumPeR_I

Well gents, the COD reveal is being heavily rumored to be on Thursday. If that's true I'd say the chances of a big Infinite blowout at Gamescom are now even higher.
The problem imo is that 343 went very silent again since Flight 1. And they havent said anything yet about GamesCom either...

Its about time they give us details about the launch content etc and release

The problem imo is that 343 went very silent again since Flight 1. And they havent said anything yet about GamesCom either...

Its about time they give us details about the launch content etc and release
I suspect they may put out some details shortly after the COD reveal (which was just confirmed btw), but we'll see.

That CTF pic looks like it's meant to be a promotional image, included in a larger gallery. Maybe as part of the stuff they're (hopefully) planning to release soon.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

Hey stickkidsam stickkidsam

1287286260059.jpg

Prepare your butts bois because I’mma be thrusting HARD!!

I don't know why 343 is always highlighting the flag so much, they kill stealth as a flag or bomb carrier. Hate it. Having it as a light source is terrible, shows up everywhere, putting an icon on the carrier was the worst move by them.
On the bright side at least we don’t have a Flagnum and that god damn carrier marker anymore. Wait they got rid of the marker right?

I played some some Halo 4 squad slayer last night and picked up another win out of 4 games played. I was focused on getting vehicle kills and just barely hit the 15 kill challenge on the last game I played. The banshee is stupid op and I have no idea why it was never nerfed. I also was reminded how much I dislike the delay in being able to fire immediately coming out of sprint.

Can anyone tell me if I need a gold subscription to play TMCC and Halo 5 matchmaking? I can't remember. I'm using game pass ultimate atm.

stickkidsam

I played some some Halo 4 squad slayer last night and picked up another win out of 4 games played. I was focused on getting vehicle kills and just barely hit the 15 kill challenge on the last game I played. The banshee is stupid op and I have no idea why it was never nerfed. I also was reminded how much I dislike the delay in being able to fire immediately coming out of sprint.

Can anyone tell me if I need a gold subscription to play TMCC and Halo 5 matchmaking? I can't remember. I'm using game pass ultimate atm.
Yeah you do need gold to play TMCC and Halo 5. So far only Infinite is confirmed as free to play with or without Gold. If you've got Game Pass Ultimate though, it comes with gold so you're good.

Also yeah, it's really nice how Infinite is implementing sprint. It's so satisfying being able to reload, recharge shields, and even ready your weapon quickly while sprinting. Even if it's only a very slight boost to your speed, the addition of sliding makes it all worth it for me.

Also fuck Banshee bombers. Those fucks started dominating in Reach and 4 just kept it going. I don't mind Air vehicles being powerful but FUCK the Banshee has so much mobility it felt impossible to counter unless you could get your team to coordinate on it. Playing with randoms who don't even use a mic makes it feel like watching children run away from the gym teacher as he pelts them all with dodgeballs. Yet another reason the Falcon needs to return. A balanced, fun, team based vehicle... though fuck it needs to have that passenger seat so we can actually have maps based around aerial objectives! Imagine 1 Flag CTF where the defenders are in a floating island base that you can reach via grav lift or Falcon! IT'D BE LEGENDARY! Fuck, make it ship to ship combat with 2 flag. 2 Aerial bases. 2 Flags. ALL DOG FIGHTS.

Havoc2049

Game Pass Ultimate has Gold, Xbox Gamepass, PC Gamepass and xCloud included.

I have a tradition of playing every Halo game right before a new Halo release. I'm playing the Master Chief Saga Playlist on TMCC, just because I need that achievement. I'm playing co-op with a friend who is experiencing Halo for the first time, so that is kinda cool. The MCC Saga is on normal though and the person I'm playing with even mentioned that it's a little too easy. 😂. I told her we would play ODST and Reach on Heroic and it will be more exciting and more of a challenge.

Game Pass Ultimate has Gold, Xbox Gamepass, PC Gamepass and xCloud included.

I have a tradition of playing every Halo game right before a new Halo release. I'm playing the Master Chief Saga Playlist on TMCC, just because I need that achievement. I'm playing co-op with a friend who is experiencing Halo for the first time, so that is kinda cool. The MCC Saga is on normal though and the person I'm playing with even mentioned that it's a little too easy. 😂. I told her we would play ODST and Reach on Heroic and it will be more exciting and more of a challenge.
I'll have to make some decisions in the short term as my gamepass ultimate is only through the end of the month. I'd like to play some Halo 5 warzone assault and TMCC occasionally up until Infinite's release. Can't remember how much gold is compared to ultimate but I might just do a cheap annual card.

Well boys, I've finally managed to acquire an XSX. :D Now I won't be forced to play Infinite at 30FPS on my TV. Still kinda surprised it's that framerate on the One X but when I saw that, I knew I had to get an XSX before it released.
I have a feeling it will be a while before I get a series x console. So be sure and feel sorry for me when you are playing at 60 fps or higher.

stickkidsam

I'll have to make some decisions in the short term as my gamepass ultimate is only through the end of the month. I'd like to play some Halo 5 warzone assault and TMCC occasionally up until Infinite's release. Can't remember how much gold is compared to ultimate but I might just do a cheap annual card.

I have a feeling it will be a while before I get a series x console. So be sure and feel sorry for me when you are playing at 60 fps or higher.
Pick up a Series S and sell that shit when you can find an X! I have an S now because I didn't wanna wait. I love disc gaming though so eventually I'mma upgrade.

Pick up a Series S and sell that shit when you can find an X! I have an S now because I didn't wanna wait. I love disc gaming though so eventually I'mma upgrade.
Even an S would get me in trouble with the misses lol. I've been waiting on Nintendo to lower the cost of the Switch before I get one and I'm still waiting 😂

Edit: As an aside I was able to borrow a neighbor's Xbox controller yesterday and I finished up some coop and custom game challenges in TMCC. Then I went into the custom browser and found a sniper octagon game where I quickly got 25 kills and assists. Long story short I got to the 10th tier of season 2 customizations and got the onyx visor and the nameplate I had been wanting.

It's glorious!
fmQiN6D.png

Last edited:
So these controllers are cool. Gonna watch the HiddenXperia video later. I'm interested in what maps he thinks should return to Infinite.

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:
1. No more remakes, all new all the time. Infinite should stand on its own merit.

2. When are they going to do custom/high design elite controllers? Elite 3 maybe?

3. That marathon-esque chrome helmet and reflection is too good!

1. No more remakes, all new all the time. Infinite should stand on its own merit.

2. When are they going to do custom/high design elite controllers? Elite 3 maybe?

3. That marathon-esque chrome helmet and reflection is too good!
If it meant they were focusing hard core on a bunch of new original maps then I'm completely okay with nothing remade. But I do think old maps in Infinite more than past Halos would work really well, even better actually.

So I finally watched that HiddenXperia video. Here are his top wanted remakes:

10. Halo 3 - High ground
9. Halo 3 - Guardian
8. Halo 3 Construct
7. Halo Reach - Forge World
6. Halo 2 - Waterworks
5. Halo 2 - Headlong
4. Halo 2 Vista - District
3. Halo Reach - The Spire
2. Halo 2 - Terminal
1. Halo PC - Death Island

All in all it's not that bad of a list. I think he listed everything I had in mind for the most part. No Colossus or Standoff, but Terminal, Guardian, Construct, and he even listed Headlong which was one of my favorite Halo 2 maps for BTB.

COD fully revealed, releasing November 5th.

Wide open now for an Infinite release on November 15th for the CE anniversary.

LOCK IT IN MS. 🔥
Now we play the waiting game! Oh that's right we were already playing. In all seriousness I'd rather see Halo release in October just to shock everyone and to come out before CoD lol.

Edit: oh yeah I forgot this is today. I gotta see how flamesword is faring.

Last edited:
Gee aside from Halo 3, I couldn't disagree with Hidden's list of maps any more.
Yeah I think it's a decent list. Guardian is long overdue but even a spiritual successor to it would be okay with me. I feel the same way about Terminal. Waterworks is a great map that has never been redone. And least popular by the community but a favorite of mine is Construct (Probably why I enjoyed Countdown and Swordbase in Halo Reach 😯 when so many others did not). I absolutely love maps with verticality. Which is why Headlong is a favorite of mine as well as Construct. And he didn't include Colossus but I love that map from Halo 2 also.

And 343 needs to make a lot more alien themed maps or maps with unique aspects such as a gate that can be opened or a bridge that can be extended.

Interesting. This is one of those features I'd probably not use a whole lot, but I can't deny the endless pictures that players share from their gaming experiences. Half the Community Spotlights consist of them.
Spoiler? not a spoiler? It's not related to campaign or matchmaking specifically but just an extra feature of the game as a whole:

Last edited:

Havoc2049

I never liked Death Island and thought it was the worst of all the PC exclusive CE and Halo 2 maps. It was too big. If you got a shitty spawn or found yourself without a vehicle or a long range weapon, it felt like you had to run around for days before getting back in the action.

I would like to see Skyline make a return. Skyline is great for 4v4 Slayer and Swat. Doing a grappling hook bungie jump off the side of the skyscraper and back into the playfield could be a sick move.

Last edited:
What in the Sam-Hell is this upside down idea?!? Ya gotta have a couple remakes so that there’s some quality assurance.

I've played enough of
  • lockout + blackout + lockdown + forge variants
  • zanzibar + last resort + stonetown + forge variants
  • sanctuary + shrine + forge variants
  • valhalla + ragnarok + forge variants (basin)
  • the pit + pitfall
  • midship + heretic + truth
  • battle creek + beaver creek
  • wizard + warlock + warlord

There has been so many remakes and more than I listed. Remakes later on perhaps but give Infinite a chance to really push some new things with a new sandbox up front.

I never liked Death Island and thought it was the worst of all the PC exclusive CE and Halo 2 maps. It was too big. If you got a shitty spawn or found yourself without a vehicle or a long range weapon, it felt like you had to run around for days before getting back in the action.

I would like to see Skyline make a return. Skyline is great for 4v4 Slayer and Swat. Doing a grappling hook bungie jump off the side of the skyscraper and back into the playfield could be a sick move.

It's funny because I don't know the names of many of the maps in Halo 4 but there are a lot that I like. I forgot about Skyline. It's another fun smaller size map that forces a lot of close encounters. I don't have enough time on Death Island. I remember playing it once or twice when TMCC had the Combat Evolved 8v8 playlist. It didn't make me like it or hate it.
I've played enough of
  • lockout + blackout + lockdown + forge variants
  • zanzibar + last resort + stonetown + forge variants
  • sanctuary + shrine + forge variants
  • valhalla + ragnarok + forge variants (basin)
  • the pit + pitfall
  • midship + heretic + truth
  • battle creek + beaver creek
  • wizard + warlock + warlord

There has been so many remakes and more than I listed. Remakes later on perhaps but give Infinite a chance to really push some new things with a new sandbox up front.
That's fair. I can understand being burned out on remakes. And a lot of remakes just don't play well as the maps were designed with the previous game's mechanics in mind. Tombstone was an awful and horrendous remake of Hang'em High in Halo 2. The BR didn't behave the same as the original pistol in CE and the movement was also very different. Last Resort was similarly not very good in my personal opinion as Halo 3 felt night and day different from Halo 2. It's not a matter of just matching the scale of the map to the base movement speed of spartans. The map has to support the mechanics, gunplay, physics, and movement speeds to a tee. In Halo 5 I remember the Combat Evolved forge remakes and it just wasn't the same in the slightest. I had a lot of fun on many of Halo 5's maps, but by and large those maps were dev made and not remakes of anything prior.

That being said, and based on the technical preview alone, I think the movement and mechanics of Infinite's gameplay would lend itself very well to map remakes. I don't need remakes, but it wouldn't bother me if there were a couple thrown in either. I think spiritual successors are actually a better idea. honestly. You listed Truth, but it plays nothing like midship. I think it had its own feel that worked well within Halo 5. I would call it a spiritual successor, which also allows the map to be designed with Halo 5 in mind and not be constrained/limited by the map's original design. Anyway, I just blabbed too many words. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I apologize.

Last edited:
It's funny because I don't know the names of many of the maps in Halo 4 but there are a lot that I like. I forgot about Skyline. It's another fun smaller size map that forces a lot of close encounters. I don't have enough time on Death Island. I remember playing it once or twice when TMCC had the Combat Evolved 8v8 playlist. It didn't make me like it or hate it.

That's fair. I can understand being burned out on remakes. And a lot of remakes just don't play well as the maps were designed with the previous game's mechanics in mind. Tombstone was an awful and horrendous remake of Hang'em High in Halo 2. The BR didn't behave the same as the original pistol in CE and the movement was also very different. Last Resort was similarly not very good in my personal opinion as Halo 3 felt night and day different from Halo 2. It's not a matter of just matching the scale of the map to the base movement speed of spartans. The map has to support the mechanics, gunplay, physics, and movement speeds to a tee. In Halo 5 I remember the Combat Evolved forge remakes and it just wasn't the same in the slightest. I had a lot of fun on many of Halo 5's maps, but by and large those maps were dev made and not remakes of anything prior.

That being said, and based on the technical preview alone, I think the movement and mechanics of Infinite's gameplay would lend itself very well to map remakes. I don't need remakes, but it wouldn't bother me if there were a couple thrown in either. I think spiritual successors are actually a better idea. honestly. You listed Truth, but it plays nothing like midship. I think it had its own feel that worked well within Halo 5. I would call it a spiritual successor, which also allows the map to be designed with Halo 5 in mind and not be constrained/limited by the map's original design. Anyway, I just blabbed too many words. :messenger_tears_of_joy: I apologize.

I agree with spiritual successors over remakes. So true about Last Resort vs Zanibar, the same goes for Blackout vs Lockout. There are just not the same and it's mainly the sandbox differences and small nuances e.g. jumps, spacing for movement.

Even more shit is leaking out via this account. Read at your own peril.

I don't mind non-campaign related spoilers but so much is already out in the wild I'm afraid I'll see something and wish I hadn't. Of course I also search "halo" on twitter, which is a horrible idea if one is trying to avoid spoilers lol. Anything of note that doesn't reveal the story? I saw some stuff going around that shows the size of Halo Infinite's world versus other games. Not sure how accurate the information was though.

I don't mind non-campaign related spoilers but so much is already out in the wild I'm afraid I'll see something and wish I hadn't. Of course I also search "halo" on twitter, which is a horrible idea if one is trying to avoid spoilers lol. Anything of note that doesn't reveal the story? I saw some stuff going around that shows the size of Halo Infinite's world versus other games. Not sure how accurate the information was though.
There's some potential story stuff in there, yeah.

Haven't seen the thing about the world size comparisons unless I just missed it.

Last edited:
I played a few games of Halo 4 before bed and got blown up. Switched to CE and got wrecked even worse. I didn't break even on kills deaths once lol. In CE it was a full team every game with hard core CE ranks of 20+... There is always tomorrow I guess. 🥳

Last edited:
Listening to Marty's CE soundtrack at work. Blows me away at how good the music is. Like at the time one has to wonder where in the heck he came from. Was he doing anything else significant before Halo? I could just be ignorant. Was he working on the Marathon and Myth games? Is the music in those games on par with what he did with Halo? He comes out of no where and produces a once in a lifetime soundtrack lol. Amazing.

Then goes on to produce more fantastic soundtracks with subsequent halo games.

Marty come back!

Last edited:

Watching now. They say no new gameplay in the video but it will have a bunch of info.

Edit:

Biggest news from the video so far in my opinion:
  • Expect another big flight. Doesn't say when or if it will be soon, but it will include bots, 4v4 pvp, and 8v8 btb pvp this go around.
  • VLog to be posted on halowaypoint in the next few weeks.
  • At 10:15 in the video Unyshek tosses it over to Ske7ch and Joseph Staten.
  • PC split screen won't be at launch but team will be looking into it post launch.
  • Live services kick off this Holiday. No release date given.
  • Campaign coop fundamental to Halo experience. But won't be at launch nor will forge. Difficult decision as they are not ready. Releasing as part of seasonal road map next year. Targeting campaign coop in season 2 (3 months after game release) and forge in season 3 (6 months after game release).
  • Will be discussing game release date soon.
  • Insiders will get to try out forge as part of a flight at some point.
  • There was discussion about delaying game even further until all features are ready but ultimately decided to press on this year. Infinite is a live game and will continue to be worked on.
  • Currently reviewing the game, what needs work (campaign or pvp), fixing bugs, and ensuring a good experience regardless of polish.
  • Campaign gameplay will be shown before launch.
  • Enjoy clean shaven Craig while you can because he is looking really good with hair right now.
  • They show a little testing of the game at the studio but didn't really see anything of note. Could be some hidden detail I missed. Starts at 23:35 cutscene from E3 2019? Maybe something new at 24:00? Part of campaign at 24:17?
That's all I got.

Last edited:
Top Bottom