• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Oh my apparently 343 was supposed to add commando and stalker rifle variants to the tactical slayer playlist today but ran into issues. So there are tactical slayer challenges that can't be completed until it's resolved.

Also, the weekly challenges reward is another limp emblem background... Won't be wasting time in challenges this week.

But the reason I initially got on to post was for this bit of news from Jan 29 earlier in the year and the tweet at the end of my post:

Did we talk about that? My memory sucks and I forgot if we did.

"...according to trusted sources familiar with Certain Affinity and 343 Industries' plans.

It seems that this new mode codenamed "Tatanka" could be several months out at this point, and is designed to be a more "newcomer-friendly" experience that isn't as demanding competitively than existing multiplayer modes, Big Team Battle and Arena. It's also intended to entice users who typically aren't interested in Halo, potentially targeting gamers on Fortnite, Call of Duty Warzone, or Apex Legends.

Depending on your interpretation of newcomer-friendly, that could potentially point to a PvE-style experience like Gears of War's Horde mode, or perhaps something like Halo 5's PvPvE Warzone, where players fought in chaotic battles against both enemy AI and players. One can also speculate that its goal to bring in newcomers to the Halo franchise may point to a battle royale-like mode, which has long been a big question about where Halo Infinite might go. 343 Industries seems to have ruled out battle royale for Halo Infinite in the past, though, so it's hard to say for sure if this could be on the cards.

This new mode will also hook into Halo Infinite's upcoming Forge mode according to our information, and feature player-created content as a core part of the experience. It will also leverage existing cosmetics from Halo Infinite's existing multiplayer progression, while potentially having a new progression system of its own on top.

While details around this mode are scant, it's not exactly surprising that more gameplay modes may be on the way to Halo Infinite. Microsoft has previously signalled its intent to build and develop Halo Infinite over several years, adding new maps, modes, cosmetics, and perhaps even single-player story DLC. Last year, Microsoft trademarked Halo Infinite 'The Endless,' which may hint at an upcoming story expansion."

Last edited:
I hope it's a full blown Halo take on Battle Royale. Anything short of that is not going to move the needle in terms of population.

Now if they'd open it up to Forge integration and community Mods we'd really have something in the next 12 months. Those flight programs and insiders pushing community driven content creation/tweaks/mods would really be Minecraft levels of success over time.

If they monetize Forge that would likely be the final nail for me and a lot of other people. I sincerely hope they aren't stupid enough to do it.
I hope it's a full blown Halo take on Battle Royale. Anything short of that is not going to move the needle in terms of population.

Now if they'd open it up to Forge integration and community Mods we'd really have something in the next 12 months. Those flight programs and insiders pushing community driven content creation/tweaks/mods would really be Minecraft levels of success over time.

Agree with you both here. If 343 is smart and wants to retain players it would be unwise to charge anything for forge. I am really interested in the new mode. While a new warzone mode would be fun too, I think a lot of expectations will be for a BR mode. Which if it's not some or many will be disappointed. Forge integration would be awesome. I can remember long long ago when Infinite was in early development stages and 343 hired multiple community forge people. I'm hoping they deliver.

Aside from that new mode I just want a ton more multiplayer maps and some tweaks to the weapons as well as the ranking system and progression system. I really think they need to nerf the AR some and boost the commando a tad. Give the sidekick a little more ammo or make it slightly stronger. Doesn't have to dominate but with how ridiculous the sword/hammer are with the grappling hook the sidekick could at least be a little more reliable.

Agree with you both here. If 343 is smart and wants to retain players it would be unwise to charge anything for forge. I am really interested in the new mode. While a new warzone mode would be fun too, I think a lot of expectations will be for a BR mode. Which if it's not some or many will be disappointed. Forge integration would be awesome. I can remember long long ago when Infinite was in early development stages and 343 hired multiple community forge people. I'm hoping they deliver.

Aside from that new mode I just want a ton more multiplayer maps and some tweaks to the weapons as well as the ranking system and progression system. I really think they need to nerf the AR some and boost the commando a tad. Give the sidekick a little more ammo or make it slightly stronger. Doesn't have to dominate but with how ridiculous the sword/hammer are with the grappling hook the sidekick could at least be a little more reliable.

*cough, beta Commando says hi. It was perfect back then. Pistol is a secondary sidearm, not the main show. AR is too powerful. BR doesn't feel as nice as say a Halo 2/3 BR does but it's solid.

I know it's a losing argument, one that I've been losing since Halo 3, but I will never understand why the AR has to be the primary and the pistol always has to be, not only the secondary, but a sucky secondary. Are they not allowed to both be good? The AR makes a much better secondary weapon in my mind and should be as effective as such. The AR should be a crutch for players that aren't very good, that immediately puts them at a disadvantage against someone that knows what they're doing with precision weapons. Instead, the pistol is a lolwtf weapon that braindead players wielding the AR easily mop the floor. I absolutely hate that using the sidekick against the AR is an uphill battle in Infinite when it should be the other way around. As is it's completely unrewarding.

I think one solution is to gimp that ammo on the AR. It's a stupid easy weapon to use, so make it so that players have to get their shots in. Right now the sidekick immediately runs out of ammo while the ammo clip on the AR allows for players to just keep shooting. So reduce the ammo on the AR or increaes the ammo in the Sidekick. Or better yet, just nerf the AR and then all of a sudden you have a much more even playing field between the two weapons.

I guess I'm a bit of a snobby Halo CE purist lol, but I've suffered through how many Halo games where I just wanted the pistol to be good again, and Bungie and 343 refuse to go that route. I simply don't understand.

Last edited:
Snipedown having a tough time with Infinite since quitting the Apex Legends pro scene. I feel for the bloke. Infinite in its current form is shit.

I jumped into a night of 4 buddies playing BTB and tactical again this week to find myself yet again hating the game, the matchmaking systems, the sheer randomness and McDonalds style play. I literally said out loud to the party again "this isn't Halo, this isn't from a AAA studio". BTB is utter garbage. The netcode is infuriating on top of a terrible matchmaking system and don't even start me on ranked.

When you have pros like Snipedown in literal anguish over the game that is curated around esports, again after Halo 5, you know it's in a bad place.0

Seems Mikwen has similar issues. You cannot keep fucking up release after release, delay after delay.

I know it's a losing argument, one that I've been losing since Halo 3, but I will never understand why the AR has to be the primary and the pistol always has to be, not only the secondary, but a sucky secondary. Are they not allowed to both be good? The AR makes a much better secondary weapon in my mind and should be as effective as such. The AR should be a crutch for players that aren't very good, that immediately puts them at a disadvantage against someone that knows what they're doing with precision weapons. Instead, the pistol is a lolwtf weapon that braindead players wielding the AR easily mop the floor. I absolutely hate that using the sidekick against the AR is an uphill battle in Infinite when it should be the other way around. As is it's completely unrewarding.

I think one solution is to gimp that ammo on the AR. It's a stupid easy weapon to use, so make it so that players have to get their shots in. Right now the sidekick immediately runs out of ammo while the ammo clip on the AR allows for players to just keep shooting. So reduce the ammo on the AR or increaes the ammo in the Sidekick. Or better yet, just nerf the AR and then all of a sudden you have a much more even playing field between the two weapons.

I guess I'm a bit of a snobby Halo CE purist lol, but I've suffered through how many Halo games where I just wanted the pistol to be good again, and Bungie and 343 refuse to go that route. I simply don't understand.

I agree the AR shouldn't be primary, it should be a short to mid secondary at best. The pistol is fine as a primary in short only, at mid range it should almost never win against a BR and long especially. The pistol at mid should essentially be 50/50 against the AR at mid. Perfect to one shot missed and it wins, 2 or more shots missed against perfect AR in mid and it loses. Honestly they sort of just need a basic matrices of ranges vs shots landed to sort out their sandbox. All the recoil and bloom stuff can just fuck off as well, hate all of that in modern FPS games. Halo 2 and 3 felt so good and clean visually to just straight up fight. All they ever had to do was improve the netcode and bring some new weapons/mechanics into the mix. It's also why you could go on solo runs against 2 or 3 out of position players you setup for that perfect attack or nade and charge etc.

The pistol had its heyday in CE and a return to poster child weapon with Halo 5. Infinite's sidekick on a great connection is deadly AF, on a netcode crazy connection it's a mixed bag at best. I hate that you see players just spamming the hell out of it and land every shot then you try it even at close range and it's wildly inaccurate for landing headshots.

The maps and modes are so fucking mismatched and mismanaged by 343 I have no idea who comes up with the shit they serve up in Infinite. The netcode and sandbox took a wrong turn from H2A and has not corrected itself.

Last edited:

Umbasaborne

Banned
Just posting here to say that i've finished Reach and it is a Masterpiece, one of the best games of all time. What a fantastic game
Yeah reach hits good, the dmr is one of my favorite halo weapons. So many memorable missions too, i love your first encounter with the sword elites in the first mission

FFS please for the love of fucking god dont tell me they are seriously wasting fucking resources on another garbage ass Warzone/invasion spinoff. Fucking put those resources into making more BTB maps for the causals. Absolutely blows my fucking mind how oblivious they are to how important BTB is for casuals. This is coming from someone who prefers 4v4. Only forge can save them now since they literally are fucking braindead when it comes to content.

Halo TV show soon. I guess we're finding out good or bad one way or another...

giphy.gif

The usual long ass rant from Cursed Lemon but around the second half gets to some good ideas. He aligns with how I feel most of the time. In one afternoon I can have more creative ideas about maps, modes, interplay, interaction and fun while being competitive all without having to reinvent the sandbox of weapons or vehicles or movement etc. I've said it many times, all Halo ever needs was/is great maps and modes of play with sprinklings of progression and new weapons/equipment as you go. Insanely great networking is a given.

Lemon has reached the same place I have; 343 have colossally fucked Halo to where I don't care to play or post as much as about it. The design, development and management decisions are what drive the talent astray in the end resulting games. To be where we are at after 6.5 years and still lost in stasis out in space looking to be found is sobering for the state of this franchise, again.

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Seems Mikwen has similar issues. You cannot keep fucking up release after release, delay after delay.

The maps and modes are so fucking mismatched and mismanaged by 343 I have no idea who comes up with the shit they serve up in Infinite. The netcode and sandbox took a wrong turn from H2A and has not corrected itself.

This guy has reached the point more people should get to.

Quite frankly constructive criticism does not work, not on these types of people and it never will. Because its a big name publisher game and they directly answer to the money men, that means minimum work, maximum return.

Think about past titles that have radically changed in the AAA spade, has it been due to;

A. Constructive feedback from the community

B. Mass outrage by the community so that is gets itself into the press and therefore potentially losing sales

Thats not to say constructive criticism does not work, but you need to look at who the target is. The fact is you need to get the people who's circle of responsibility allows for them to actually change the direction of the game. When the issue is primarily based around decisions linked to the MTX strategy of the product giving constructive feedback will not change that. You need to rage and bang your hands against the cage, and the more people banging the more likely the money men up the chain will ask the question "what can we do to change this bad press surrounding the game?", then and only then will something happen.

Last edited:

SEGA_2012

Hey, guys. I am beginning Halo 5 now. Wish me good luck. I loved the initial cutscene, glad to see the same team behind the H2A cutscenes are doing the cutscenes in this game too.

Naked Lunch

Still cant believe there hasnt been a single new multiplayer map released yet.
They should have had a classic map remix pack ready to go at least.
Really piss poor management and highly disappointing.

stickkidsam

I feel bad for ske7ch and all the other devs at 343 who aren't allowed to just say "We're sorry, we don't have anything and we don't know what we're doing. Here is what we are doing to fix this..."

Can't even say what shitty practices or what dumb decisions caused such a mess. Nope. All has to be some PR bullshit. Then of course you've got the Halo TV show throwing a middle finger to the fans.

Even MCC is back to being broken again. Literally 2 days of seeing 8 players loading the map screen to the game then starting as 2v3 or 1v3 or 4v3 etc. I had a run of 3 games in a row like that yesterday. I had 3 to 4 games like that every other game the day before. WTF? Why is it so hard for 343 to get their games to work reliably? I don't know any other game that is so consistently busted. I even stuck it on a different internet connection altogether during those two days and nope same shit happened on and off (I have two ISP connections and a mobile 5G third connection at home/home office).

Examples -

From 2.50sec its loading all 8 players then game actually starts and it's instantly 3v1 all of a sudden.

Same thing again, loading all 8 then game starts and instantly 2 v 4.

I have like a dozen of these from 2 days played in screenshots too. They honestly don't play their own game outside of the office or North America do they? It's a joke.

How about the game just not loading and dropping you back to the menu completely? - skip to the end of video -

Last edited:
5 days later and MCC still dropping players as the game loads. It's every other game, nearly every game this happens. 343 are so bad at quality control, they're even worse at hot fixes in a timely fashion.

Still happening for me -

Skip 2:50 for the same shit different day. All 8 there, start game and 3v3 -

Skip to 2:52 for the same shit, same day, different game. All 8 there, start game and 3v2 -

Naked Lunch

MCC got a new update today. Floodfight and lots of other fixes/additions.
For some reason I thought last year's Season 8 was the final update for the game. Looks like theres going to be even more minor updates throughout this year. They changed the title screen back to a combination of some of the better scenes from all the Season's clips. I appreciate that detail - was getting tired of that silly Rome/Spartan era one.

MCC came out in 2014 - its come a long way since then thats for sure. Nice to see MCC is still getting updates, especially with the content drought shitshow they have to work out with Infinite.

I played a quick Halo 3 Team Slayer Match for the first time in months and wrecked the shit outta some noobs. Felt good :)

Last edited:

ElRenoRaven

Finally caught up with the update info. Gotta say it's a good update. Glad to see some progress still being made on crossplay. Being able to play two campaigns crossplay now it a good start. I know having them all be that way is a pipe dream due to all the work required for the older games but still. I can dream damn it.

Like the firefight additions too. Glad to see flood getting some love and finally being able to drive vehicles again. I can see myself playing a lot of flood firefight.

Finally caught up with the update info. Gotta say it's a good update. Glad to see some progress still being made on crossplay. Being able to play two campaigns crossplay now it a good start. I know having them all be that way is a pipe dream due to all the work required for the older games but still. I can dream damn it.

Like the firefight additions too. Glad to see flood getting some love and finally being able to drive vehicles again. I can see myself playing a lot of flood firefight.

Jumped in with 3 other buddies for some 4 player coop Floodfight on ODST. So fucking good on a solid connection. We did matchmaking and it was just too easy so went customs on Legendary and that was a brilliant time as things ramped up. Gave it a good 50mins run on one game wave after wave bunkering down, stockpiling weapons in a choke point etc. There's a ton of room for MCC to grow still.

Fuck me for being a downer but why Infinite didn't launch with PvE content is the biggest misstep by 343. Floodfight is a glimpse of what could have been with Infinite and years of development really putting PvE stuff at the forefront. Solid blackmark against 343 if you ask me.

stickkidsam

Jumped in with 3 other buddies for some 4 player coop Floodfight on ODST. So fucking good on a solid connection. We did matchmaking and it was just too easy so went customs on Legendary and that was a brilliant time as things ramped up. Gave it a good 50mins run on one game wave after wave bunkering down, stockpiling weapons in a choke point etc. There's a ton of room for MCC to grow still.

Fuck me for being a downer but why Infinite didn't launch with PvE content is the biggest misstep by 343. Floodfight is a glimpse of what could have been with Infinite and years of development really putting PvE stuff at the forefront. Solid blackmark against 343 if you ask me.
Nah man you're not a downer for wishing a series all the best. Unfortunately the situation just sucks. Even with a hopeful attitude, it hurts to see where Halo is at right now. Props to 343 for at least supporting further updates on the MCC. I'm so happy that ODST Firefight is getting so much love. Reach Firefight never felt as intense for me.

Man I'd kill for some kind of massive PvPvE mode in Reach. It's the only game with the vehicle variety to pull it off... fuck me I miss the Falcon.

Nah man you're not a downer for wishing a series all the best. Unfortunately the situation just sucks. Even with a hopeful attitude, it hurts to see where Halo is at right now. Props to 343 for at least supporting further updates on the MCC. I'm so happy that ODST Firefight is getting so much love. Reach Firefight never felt as intense for me.

Man I'd kill for some kind of massive PvPvE mode in Reach. It's the only game with the vehicle variety to pull it off... fuck me I miss the Falcon.
It took MCC 8 years to get this content, not to mention stability, but also it has games that were made years ago that they're adding onto. Halo Infinite isn't terrible by any means, just missing content and is 6 months old.

stickkidsam

Perfect example of how the Halo TV show is warping people's understanding of even the most basic lore.

It took MCC 8 years to get this content, not to mention stability, but also it has games that were made years ago that they're adding onto. Halo Infinite isn't terrible by any means, just missing content and is 6 months old.
Oh I feel ya dude. I remember when MCC released and the absolute dumpster fire that was. I recently watched a great video by MarcoStyle goes over 343's history of mismanagement superbly! It's very much worth a watch if ya have some time to kill

I really hope that 343 can get their shit together. I want to like Halo Infinite, but it's just missing so much big and small.

Naked Lunch

Obvious but worth mentioning - MCC is also 6 different games spanning 12+ years of development time. Taking away Infinite's obvious content blunders - quantity-wise, the MCC was always going to be an impossible task to follow for any game.

Its also pretty obvious Infinite went thru a number of design changes and shifts - even rumored to be scrapped and rebuilt in the 6 years since H5. Then Staten comes in 2020-21 and they once again edited, cut, and reshuffled campaign. I think it was worth it in the end - because they really did find something in Infinite with the overall gameplay and feel - especially compared to 343's H4 and H5. It might have been all that time was used just to get the gameplay feeling right. Now the work begins on content for that gameplay.

Ive said it a bunch before - but it just sucks still having to wait.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

How's everyone doing? I've been extremely as of late and haven't much time to post anything. I saw this earlier though. What do you think?

Edit: also it's being discussed on gaming side. Older thread from January.

I’ve been getting back into the MCC and it’s really got me thinking it’d be cool to host weekly play sessions. Feels like whether it’s on Reddit or Neogaf I don’t see many people trying to get that going. I guess coordination is enough of a bitch. Hope you're doing good Deputy!

That Battle Royale sounds really cool though. I wonder how they'll balance shields, health (return of kits perhaps?), and if this will encourage teamwork ala other BRs. I saw another leak mentioning Drop Pods in the files. God I hope we drop in like ODSTs.

This is me, albeit with more than a decade+ on him. Same shit e.g. coop, neighbours, friends, annual LANs, going to launches, events, playing because the community, game and content is brilliant but Infinite just doesn't hit most of that. I agree Infinite in terms of campaign and multi is 10% of what it should have been. 20% if I'm feeling generous. Infinite has 1-2 years before it really hits home.

Fingers cross Max's take on Battle Royale is the shit and they invest heavily into it. Pretty scary hearing it has only been worked on for 2 years or so. Another words Infinite's early-mid years of development were a clusterfuck of non-existent vision out of 343.

Last edited:
This is me, albeit with more than a decade+ on him. Same shit e.g. coop, neighbours, friends, annual LANs, going to launches, events, playing because the community, game and content is brilliant but Infinite just doesn't hit most of that. I agree Infinite in terms of campaign and multi is 10% of what it should have been. 20% if I'm feeling generous. Infinite has 1-2 years before it really hits home.

Fingers cross Max's take on Battle Royale is the shit and they invest heavily into it. Pretty scary hearing it has only been worked on for 2 years or so. Another words Infinite's early-mid years of development were a clusterfuck of non-existent vision out of 343.

Speaking for myself I've moved onto other things at this point as well, mostly Elden Ring and Witch Queen. Have had no desire to play as it is, S2's content isn't gonna bring me back and I have no interest in battle royale. Stuff like Firefight, campaign expansions, or expanded bot/co-op modes would tempt me but God only knows when that stuff will actually happen.

MAYBE I'll check out the BR if it has bot support as is rumored. Maybe. But that might just end up being a novelty thing in the end.

But I'll just say that MCC, even with its own issues continues to blow Infinite out of the water in terms of support, which is kind of funny and baffling at the same time.

Edit: If I was MS I would strongly consider buying Certain Affinity and making them (at least partially) a Halo support studio. They have history with the franchise and it's pretty clear now that 343 just can't handle it on their own.

Last edited:
Top Bottom