• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Halogaf Community Thread: The Old Becomes New

Not much new here. These are the updates 343 has been talking about for some time. I see they threw a mention of the Optic Gaming bundle lol. My interest in the HCS skins has waned considerably since they don't work on any other armor kits.

UPDATE OVERVIEW​

This update brings several bug fixes and a few small additions to Halo Infinite. For a full list of this update’s bug fixes and changes, see the Resolved Issues section below. Improvements in this update include:

• First-person animations, including reloading and clambering, now appear smoother at all framerates.
  • Audio mix improvements across both multiplayer and campaign.
  • Improved cheat detection and other anti-cheat improvements.
  • Multiple improvements to Quick Resume on Xbox Series X|S consoles.
  • Stability improvements for Xbox One consoles.
  • OpTic Gaming bundle is now available in the Halo Championship (HCS) Store.
Some of the improvements in this update required us to invalidate past Theater films. If you have moments you would like to save, please record them using a digital recording tool. For more information on how to capture game clips and screenshots, see How to take a clip or screenshot and share it in Halo Infinite.

Many platforms automatically update games. The article How to update Halo Infinite has instructions for how to manually update your game or check if it is up to date.

We have a range of player guides and other support articles for Halo Infinite, including:

INSTALL SIZE​

Update only (all platforms): approximately 1.3 GB or less.

RESOLVED ISSUES​

Many improvements come from Halo Insiders feedback and Halo Support tickets submitted by our community. Thank you for participating and please keep submitting tickets!

GLOBAL​

• First-person animations, including reloading and clambering, now appear smoother at all framerates.
  • The following sound effects are louder in the audio mix for both multiplayer and campaign:
    • Enemies throwing grenades
    • The Needler's supercombine
    • Player Ravager completing its charge
  • Multiple improvements to Quick Resume on Xbox Series X|S consoles including increased reliability of reconnecting to Halo Infinite's multiplayer and customization services. Players who have purchased Halo Infinite's campaign digitally should also see less prompts to purchase Campaign after using Quick Resume.
  • Players who did not receive an Achievement after completing its requirements should see it unlock after updating and launching Halo Infinite.
  • Improvements to Dolby Vision High Dynamic Range (HDR) output on Xbox Series X|S consoles.
  • Color accuracy improvements when playing on a PC with an AMD GPU and FreeSync capable monitor(s). If you want to play with HDR enabled, ensure it is enabled HDR in Windows and the AMD Radeon Software/Settings.
  • Stability improvements for Xbox One consoles.
  • Launching Halo Infinite with an out-of-date PC graphics driver will now direct players to download Halo Support's recommended drivers.
  • PCs with Intel Integrated Graphics hardware may experience less graphical corruptions.

MULTIPLAYER​

• Improved cheat detection and other anti-cheat improvements.
  • Sound effects for receiving damage as well as enemy footsteps and gunfire are now louder in multiplayer's audio mix.
  • The Combat Sensor's range has increased from 18 meters to 24 meters in Big Team Battle (BTB).
  • Added new telemetry to help our developers gather more information on shot registration issues. Read the development team's in-depth analysis of these issues and their plans for future mitigations: Halo Infinite's Online Experience.
  • After receiving a matchmaking ban, players can select the Play button in any matchmaking playlist to see when their ban will end. This expiration time will be in the MM/DD/YY format and PT time.
    • For more information on Halo Infinite bans and how to submit a ban appeal, see How to Appeal a Ban.
  • The Optimal Polish Initiated armor coating is now available for all players who have submitted a valid code on Halo Waypoint. More information about this promotional offer can be found at OPI's blog. If you encounter any issues with this promotion, contact amazonhelp@opixboxrewards.com.
  • Players standing on destroyed vehicles will no longer experience stuttering or desyncs.
  • Matchmaking playlists now reflect accurate Estimated Wait times.
  • The Post-Game Carnage Report (PGCR) will now reflect the correct winning team after online matches.

CAMPAIGN​

• Improvements to Campaign's save system to prevent data loss.
  • Interactive items, such as uncollected audio logs and ammo crates, now have their intended sound and visual effects after completing the Campaign's final mission.
  • The description of Forerunner Artifacts now appears correctly when playing in a language other than English.

KNOWN ISSUES​

This update includes two new known issues:

• Local Area Network (LAN) servers cannot be started from the in-game menus.
    • LAN servers can be started on Steam by launching Halo Infinite with the following launch options: -server -console -lan
    • This workaround is currently only available for Steam.
    • This issue only affects starting a LAN server on PC. Joining a LAN server in-game works as expected on all platforms.
  • The Bot Bootcamp matchmaking playlist has an inaccurate Estimated Wait time. Actual wait times may vary but should be much shorter than the listed Estimated Wait.
For a full list of known issues for Halo Infinite, go to our Known Issues section.

FURTHER RESOURCES​

Last edited:
Still no fix to the netcode?...
Doesn't appear so but who knows. I think people have to accept that the game was shipped in a very poor state. This isn't a thing where devs are necessarily being lazy, but a situation where serious foundational issues with the code exist and need to be fixed before we can expect any kind of meaningful update. The price gouging on the other hand is outrageous.

I see the weekly reward, the withered rose coating, is only for the samurai kit. That just shouldn't be a thing.

And I will reiterate that this game rewards very bad play styles. If you aren't blindly running around with sprint you are putting yourself at a disadvantage, when it should be the opposite. Mad rushing is a horrible tactic in most games - except Infinite. Fiesta should be renamed hammer/sword bullshit. Limited radar, Sprint, grapple hook, and most weapons not capable of one shotting at point blank range means swords and hammers will always win. It makes me really miss the shotgun. It was the anti sword/hammer weapon. But it doesn't exist in Infinite.

Doesn't appear so but who knows. I think people have to accept that the game was shipped in a very poor state. This isn't a thing where devs are necessarily being lazy, but a situation where serious foundational issues with the code exist and need to be fixed before we can expect any kind of meaningful update. The price gouging on the other hand is outrageous.

I see the weekly reward, the withered rose coating, is only for the samurai kit. That just shouldn't be a thing.

And I will reiterate that this game rewards very bad play styles. If you aren't blindly running around with sprint you are putting yourself at a disadvantage, when it should be the opposite. Mad rushing is a horrible tactic in most games - except Infinite. Fiesta should be renamed hammer/sword bullshit. Limited radar, Sprint, grapple hook, and most weapons not capable of one shotting at point blank range means swords and hammers will always win. It makes me really miss the shotgun. It was the anti sword/hammer weapon. But it doesn't exist in Infinite.

The maps and modes are even designed around these very aspects. You've seen me post it before. McDonalds Halo. Instant gratification all action bullshit.

I really want to play Infinite but the is just so little I like about the maps and modes. I'm a dying breed of Halo CTF/Bomb. Halo 5 Firefight was solid and I enjoyed that mode. Perhaps that coming back as something akin to Destiny's Gambit modes and integrated with Forge could be something special. My trouble with these updates is there isn't anything about the roadmap. Another 3 months of Season 1, why would I want to play.

I think if things get really bad population wise later in the year 343 will quickly push for a BR mode. But they can't even put out normal updates let alone a completely new game mode, so not sure if that is even a possibility. If they ever do that though I would like to see players drop down onto a Halo ring at the beginning of each match. The ring is the perfect locale.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yo it makes me happy to hear I'm not alone in disliking a lot of the fiesta games. When it turns into everyone running around with a hammer and sword plus the grapple hook I can barely move without getting blasted. Then throw in the incinerator... I give rockets a free pass as they run out really fast and it's a classic halo power weapon.

Recharge is definitely one of the best maps but I like Live Fire and Streets quite a bit too. Really my least favorite map is Bazaar. Terrible map flow and the design encourages camping more than anything.

I wish they would do away with radar altogether or increase its range. With sprint and the small radar radius it's next to pointless. By the time I see someone on radar it is usually too late to do anything.

I'd also like to see the AR nerfed while the sidekick and commando bumped in strength slightly. For the sidekick they don't even have to increase its strength, just add a little more ammo. Infinite rewards easy to use weapons over skill weapons more often than not and that's pretty annoying. The needler is stupid easy to kill people with and Id like to see its ammo nerfed.

(Edit: when it's a one on one and I'm using the sidekick and someone else is using the AR, I have to work my butt off to land all my shots while the person using the AR is reading a book while holding down the trigger.... And the sidekick runs out of ammo instantly while AR is still just pelting shots. That's pretty sucky imo and not a good balance, even if the sidekick is supposed to be secondary.)

Yeah the content in Infinite is super bare bones, and the customization is still a joke. There should be many color options for each weapon and skins should be universal across all weapons or armor kits. But Infinite is still fun to play, so I'll give it that. I really enjoyed Attrition to be honest. Wish 343 would make it a permanent addition instead of a rotation playlist.

You're not alone haha. I like Fiesta's randomness and chaos until I don't. Spawning with a hammer and plasma pistol on Launch Site when the opposing team is camping with snipers isn't my idea of fun but it's an inherent trait of said game type so whatever.

Yeah Bazaar isn't my favorite as well. Streets is fucking awesome! Maybe tied with Recharge but difficult to hold spots solo if that makes sense. I love Aquarius. Awesome vibe but I'm just terrible on it!

Yeah maybe a little bump in the sidekicks damage output or a couple more bullets will do the trick. It's purpose IMO is to quickly finish off weaker opponents so I get it's default stats but yeah

I'm not going to bother going into customization an stuff because reasons well known..

Sorry for the late reply friend and thank you for your indepth response.

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Just went 28 5 in quick play. Love these matches

The only thing I hate about Halo MP as an autistic loner, socially awkward person is when you get at a certain level you need mates to work with. That aspect really fucks me up

Last edited:
Just went 28 5 in quick play. Love these matches

The only thing I hate about Halo MP as an autistic loner, socially awkward person is when you get at a certain level you need mates to work with. That aspect really fucks me up
Agreed that trying to play in the higher tiers without teammates is very frustrating.

Fact check: true (it's stupid op and needs nerfed badly)

Edit: Oof I had a bad night of fiesta. I need attrition to come back. It was short, simple, and no bullshit. And where is escalation slayer? That's be a great playlist.

Last edited:

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Bunnyhop? That's so oldschool! It's my second message. First one was asking how I got that Halo.

Last edited:
Bunnyhop? That's so oldschool! It's my second message. First one was asking how I got that Halo.

Those messages are how you know you had a good game. Salty tears, delicious.

So a couple of buddies and I jumped into Infinite last night for some BTB and team slayer -

Good
+Matchmaking is doing a far better job of getting us into Aussie hosted matches. Respect. Kudos. Now go one step further 343 and let us just filter it ourselves, mid search toggles in real time even. Break some new ground.
+Connections were solid, didn't drop out or have games end abruptly etc.
+Pings were pretty good all round and equal with what I get out of Apex Legends.

Bad
-Spawns are still atrocious in BTB, you can organise an attacking mini squad, wipe out an enemy base and just have guys spawning literally on your six ready to kill you. It happens time and again in BTB, really not handled well at all. It leaves me with the impression 343 have "Mario Kart'd" spawns e.g. you do well or take key map sections and spawns are favourable to the enemy.
-Melee is still a shit show, even on Aussie hosted games.
-Dying behind walls, tick rate, server taking other players data instead of what you see on screen etc is still poor at best, even on Aussie hosted games with 18ms ping.
-Weapon spawns (default starting weapons and on maps spawns I mean), the scanner thingy to find stuff is really crap on large maps with lots of geometry
-Randomness of encounters and that McDonalds aspect in BTB or 4v4 is still ever present. Maps like standoff or avalanche shit on anything in Infinite's BTB limited map set.

-Broken game systems. BTB control and our "A" capture point bugged out and no team could capture it. A draw no matter what, cannot quit or vote to quit, also went into overtime, extending the painful wasteful game and at the end of the day we dominated the other two capture points and still ended in a draw. It would be better to go on total team capture time overall to decide a winner when capture points are equal e.g. 0 v 0 (skip to 2.30 to see the broken ass capture point).

-The UI for joining friends fireteam is still shite to operate and takes too many menus/tabs/clicks and feels unresponsive with little visual feedback. Take notes from Apex/Fortnite, fast and simple with your characters taking 20% of the screen when joined. Stop doing your own shit and use what works from the industry FFS.
-Power seeds game mode is still boring AF. Whatever happened to a good old 2-flag or neutral bomb game in BTB?
-Vehicles are still pretty useless, with the exception of the Wasp. They handle like shit, maps are cluttered and predictable for vehicle flows etc. Literally an AR and a grenade or a grappleshot and you have zero need to get into a vehicle or be afraid of one.
-Quitters in 4v4 games just equate to the first 10-15 kills determining which team ends up with bots or not and thus the game outcome.

So maybe I checkout MCC instead...

-Broken game/platform systems. I generally always try to quit a running game app fully when my session is done, as quick resume and online multiplayer never really like each other (Apex or Halo just the same). Nope quick resume has me right back into the social games > play menu on boot. So I start searching, game loads and I drop out as the game is about to actually start with my having control. I think that happens sometimes. Try again. Matchmade, map/mode selection, loading progress, about to start actually playing and dropped out. So I kill/quit the game again ensuring a full relaunch of MCC and jump into social (I'm basically nervous of the temp matchmaking ban from two fails prior) and it loads successfully and I play a full game on midship, yet again with AR spawns (UGH). Finish that game and what do I get at the end? I retroactive temp ban even after playing a 3rd successful game. Clip below (skip to end to see the ban come in after a successfully played game) -

I mean as a Halo fan WTF!?! More broken ass shit, every single time I want to play Halo. I'm fucking over it. I'm over the broken ass shit. I'm over the repetitive esports maps when MCC has dozens better options that aren't even in the pools/weightings. I just can't with Halo anymore.

It's not a AAA franchise anymore. It's downgraded in my mind. Fucking heads need to roll at 343. The quality control and decision making around the game fucking ruin the experience, time and time again.

Last edited:
The finishing shot of Chief here is what I want from this show.

giphy.gif

I hear you on all counts regarding MCC. I'm not sure if I can play it on my laptop though without gamepass. I'd like to download and just go back to playing Halo CE nonstop. More often than not I know exactly what I'm capable of doing in a situation and when I die I know it's cuz I screwed up. I never know what is happening in Infinite. Like maybe I missed? But not sure cuz it sure looked like I should have gotten a kill. Dying behind walls is the worst too when it feels like I can never finish a kill before a player randomly manages to escape.

I actually had a good game of Fiesta last night before work. I only played one game. Spawned with the BR and went on a killing spree before the other team could get on their feet. Had some deaths but then spawned with the BR again and started killing everyone lol. Felt good. What really feels good is killing players that are using the sword and hammer. In a game the other day I got a double kill with the pistol for finishing a sword charging me with a grapple hook followed by a person with a hammer charging me. I tea-bagged the 2nd guy's body only to get killed immediately by (yes you guessed) a third player with a hammer. It's like wtf. I feel like those have a much higher percent chance to spawn and it's annoying.

Last edited:
Hey you guys should listen to this if you have a chance, some amazing and hilarious stuff in here, including FINALLY revealing why Truth's voice changed.

I haven't had a chance to read the latest update but here it is:

Drunk Ranked is Best Ranked

Not that I'm into it anymore, but smoking a blunt and playing Halo used to be my thing around Halo 2/3. At night when I finished my day, rolled a fatty and then sat down with some gaming/friends to relax and focus on the basics combined to heightened my reflexes/senses which made me play way better stoned than sober/tipsy/drunk. Half the time I'd use headphones to listen to music and just grind away objective/slayer ranked 50s. Golden age of Halo/stoner years right there.

I haven't had a chance to read the latest update but here it is:
So coop isn't going to be with the start of season 2, they say will be later in season 2.

Forge is slated for season 3, they're saying it was always slated for season 3.

Another mode of KOTH and land grab. Boring AF. Who keeps thinking these stand in a fixed position to be meat grinded over and over is a good thing? FFS.

A little peak at some concepts. Weird the don't just have season 2 to show for real, why concepts when you're 2 months out from it being released? Seems odd to me.

So coop isn't going to be with the start of season 2, they say will be later in season 2.

Forge is slated for season 3, they're saying it was always slated for season 3.

Another mode of KOTH and land grab. Boring AF. Who keeps thinking these stand in a fixed position to be meat grinded over and over is a good thing? FFS.

A little peak at some concepts. Weird the don't just have season 2 to show for real, why concepts when you're 2 months out from it being released? Seems odd to me.
Yeah the update is kind of weird - it's not the worst, but it still leaves a lot of questions and a lot to be desired. Haha I agree that KoTH and Land Grab are super uninteresting adds to the game (but long time fans of those modes will be happy). I really want an escalation slayer playlist to be honest. While there are 2 new maps it's only 1 new arena map and 1 new BTB map. I mean hooray for an extra map in the rotation but that is far from exciting imo.

I didn't realize that it was straight from Staten. Also, did anyone else get battle royale vibes when he mentioned an elimination mode? I mean obviously it's not but it definitely got me thinking about it. Also, here's Sean W's take on the update and honestly I think he nails my thoughts to a tee.

Last edited:
Not gonna sugar coat it: That update is pitiful and is getting clowned on pretty much everywhere I look. Unless there's more to it that they haven't revealed yet but I sort of doubt it.

Quite frankly it's hard to have much hope left in this franchise unless 343's leadership (barring Staten) gets completely sacked and replaced.

YukiOnna

This next season feels like a disaster... the way they worded it back in December was the Season 1 extension would be the last of its kind and they'd have ample content for May onwards. Only 2 maps and 3 new modes is absolutely nothing.

At this rate I'll only be coming back when the next story expansion releases.

This next season feels like a disaster... the way they worded it back in December was the Season 1 extension would be the last of its kind and they'd have ample content for May onwards. Only 2 maps and 3 new modes is absolutely nothing.

At this rate I'll only be coming back when the next story expansion releases.
2 maps is pitiful. Like with all the lack of polish and content I was hoping for at least 3 new non-btb maps and maybe 1 btb map. And how is it that the servers are still so bad? I lose connections all the time. When I start up infinite it takes forever to load my info. Then when I switch menus often times it has to reload everything again. I've completed challenges before and then lost a connection to the server and didn't get credit for the challenges lol. And maybe it's anecdotal but the game is crashing a lot more for me on my laptop now. Not going to pretend i have a powerful gaming laptop because I don't. But still frustrating. I also keep waiting for new leg armor customizations. I hate looking like I have hippopotamus legs but there isn't anything else to switch to. I see people using the prosthetic legs all the time. They look terrible but then I remember there aren't any other options to choose from either. The Yuri armor has thunder thigh legs.

Fucking FFA... I can't play it. The AR is so stupidly broken and I refuse to use it. People running around getting no skill kills left and right. Effffff that

YukiOnna

x
2 maps is pitiful. Like with all the lack of polish and content I was hoping for at least 3 new non-btb maps and maybe 1 btb map. And how is it that the servers are still so bad? I lose connections all the time. When I start up infinite it takes forever to load my info. Then when I switch menus often times it has to reload everything again. I've completed challenges before and then lost a connection to the server and didn't get credit for the challenges lol. And maybe it's anecdotal but the game is crashing a lot more for me on my laptop now. Not going to pretend i have a powerful gaming laptop because I don't. But still frustrating. I also keep waiting for new leg armor customizations. I hate looking like I have hippopotamus legs but there isn't anything else to switch to. I see people using the prosthetic legs all the time. They look terrible but then I remember there aren't any other options to choose from either. The Yuri armor has thunder thigh legs.
Netcode pissed me off so much and the server connection is horrendous. How is this not one of the first things they address since it affects the play experience...

Havoc2049

Not a fan of how the Yuri armor makes Spartans look dumpy and out of shape. The alternate reality lore story behind the Yuri armor is goofy as well. The Hayabusa armor set is superior in every way; from the look, how it was earned, the lore and the collaboration between Team Ninja and Bungie was cool at the time.

I still need to finish this season off. I got up to level 65 and just lost the desire to play. BTB was down at the time and I got tired of the same few OK to good at best arena maps.

The fact the skins and colors are still all specific to different armors is also super annoying. I see a new reward and I think sweet I'll try and get that. Oh nevermind it's only for the Mark 7.

Naked Lunch

Only 2 maps with the new season is highly disappointing. Gets me angry.
I thought going free to play we would see far for content releases than traditional Halo - I was thinking maybe 1 new map a month at least.
If multiplayer was ready to go in 2020 - what the hell were they doing last year? They should have had a backlog of multiplayer maps ready to go.
Unless everyone shifted all hands on deck to rework the campaign.

Still, highly disappointing. Going to be a year or 2 till we get an acceptable amount of maps.
More waiting...

I thought going free to play we would see far for content releases than traditional Halo - I was thinking maybe 1 new map a month at least.
If multiplayer was ready to go in 2020 - what the hell were they doing last year? They should have had a backlog of multiplayer maps ready to go.

Still, highly disappointing. Going to be a year or 2 till we get an acceptable amount of maps.
More waiting...

Yep, when you look at end of this year and think we're pushing 7 years and only 1 Halo campaign with lacklustre season 1 and 2 for multiplayer you have to wonder WTF. No roadmap shown for this year with PvE or BR or oodles of content.

Against better judgement myself and 2 other buddies jumped into Infinite again last night, we really want to like a Halo game again. What a shitshow having tactical slayer on Behemoth using sidekicks. Honestly who play tests this shit and approves it to be the heaviest weighted game selections in a playlist? Absolute garbage in terms of spawns, map traversal, action on foot, networking quality on shot registration and tied to challenges where a buddy already swapped a bunch and ended up on BR 4 kills in tactical. Guess what didn't come up over 7 games for him? Sidekick and Mangler games felt so shit.

So we jumped into BTB for a couple of games. I rage quit. What a trash experience. No BR spawns on huge maps, enemies get 2 tanks and wraith while we get hogs'n'ghosts. The flag tactics are horrendous, there is no solo/buddy stealth mission to turn the tide, no map routes to sneak into a base or carve a line after taking a flag. Vehicles handle like ass and are paper thin. It's a fucking mess. I hate BTB in Infinite. Absolute trash tier Halo.

Apex Legends continues to be the better Halo game. Every time I turn on Infinite to play with mates I turned it off and think we'll I'm not going back to that anytime soon. So we jump on MCC as a palette cleanser before I/we sign off for the night. Immediately get games in Halo 4 and Halo 2 where the guns fucking work. Aiming fucking works. Clean maps with clean lines where regardless of the networking conditions shit worked and was more "fair" and "better" represented on screen as to what was happening. Infinite has serious issues even in Aussie 18ms games.

Last edited:

More waiting...
Yeah the map situation is dire. I think people could probably tolerate a lot of the other mishaps and screwups if only 343 had a regular stream of new maps being added to the game. And not just maps, but interesting maps. Where on earth are the maps with interactive features and designs that made people want to keep playing? Halo 2 was the golden age of Halo maps but 3 had plenty of good ones too. I feel like most maps post-bungie have been so-so. The current ones in Infinite play well and I enjoy them. But I wouldn't say any of them are particularly interesting or mind blowing.
So we jumped into BTB for a couple of games. I rage quit. What a trash experience. No BR spawns on huge maps, enemies get 2 tanks and wraith while we get hogs'n'ghosts. The flag tactics are horrendous, there is no solo/buddy stealth mission to turn the tide, no map routes to sneak into a base or carve a line after taking a flag. Vehicles handle like ass and are paper thin. It's a fucking mess. I hate BTB in Infinite. Absolute trash tier Halo.
For real! The vehicle balance in the game is screwy and there are no good solo escape routes for flag games. It's grab a flag and hope for the best when you have to run out into the open.

Last edited:

Naked Lunch

Yeah the map situation is dire. I think people could probably tolerate a lot of the other mishaps and screwups if only 343 had a regular stream of new maps being added to the game. And not just maps, but interesting maps. Where on earth are the maps with interactive features and designs that made people want to keep playing? Halo 2 was the golden age of Halo maps but 3 had plenty of good ones too. I feel like most maps post-bungie have been so-so. The current ones in Infinite play well and I enjoy them. But I wouldn't say any of them are particularly interesting or mind blowing.

For real! The vehicle balance in the game is screwy and there are no good solo escape routes for flag games. It's grab a flag and hope for the best when you have to run out into the open.
I really miss those interactive Halo maps. So much fun screaming at your team when you finally hit the gate switch on Longshore - or the lower tunnel switch on Standoff. Even silly (but awesome) stuff like the driveable base on the desert map in H3. Seems those ideas for maps are long gone.

I really miss those interactive Halo maps. So much fun screaming at your team when you finally hit the gate switch on Longshore - or the lower tunnel switch on Standoff. Even silly (but awesome) stuff like the driveable base on the desert map in H3. Seems those ideas for maps are long gone.
I hate to harp on about Apex but they have some nice parts to map interactions e.g towers that spin creating vertical wall blocks 360, loot crates that open for more cover or character abilities for cover e.g. Caustic traps. Even the ziplines have characters sort of do a weighted bounce when taken horizontally. Another one is doors to open or destruct, all these little elements add up to a lot. H2A had some nice elements too but a little annoying on some of those e.g. losing an initial weapon spawn to environmental stalactites was pretty shit where it was good to break map control or noise cover etc. These sorts of elements create unique gameplay moments and help replayability and meta decision making too. More recent Apex maps have loot drops on timed switches for map focus and risk vs reward, the audio interactions of these long lost Halo staples is executed better in Apex as well. Events in Apex are done better in terms of interactions e.g. moving drop ship spawns following a train you fight for control of etc. There's other Apex elements such as environmental damage from chemical floors with locked fixed loot on switches. These things are intrinsic to map areas, risk vs reward, audio cues, squads fighting for etc.

I don't know what's gone on at 343 but so many steps backwards and not forwards.

Even looking at one of 343's major statements about supporting mods with Infinite. Why not do that right at launch? Why not support servers/subs similar to Minecraft servers and open that to consoles/crossplay a well. Embrace what the community can drive/control and even pay for. I know I'd kill to pay for dedicated server resources for my buddies and I when we play Halo games/customs/hopefully some PvE content later on. It even integrates right into MS Azure cloud subs and Xbox, could easily be part of your matchmaking toggles or experience quality and ensure community growth as well as available network resources etc.

There is little innovation with Infinite nor the slipspace engine in terms of what players experience in game. It certainly does not live in the same headspace as Halo 2/XBL and Halo 3/Forge/Customs/theatre gold innovation standards I associate with great Halo games. Let alone when we take about interactive elements and what current day competing FPS games are delivering.

rofl i got temp banned for quitting. Is that a new thing? First time it has ever happened and I quit out of non ranked games all the time (usually if it is launch site in fiesta as that map is too big for 4v4 and games take twice as long. Plus you can get killed multiple times in a row and then spawn at the other end of the map with a ravager/carbine...) The ultimate weekly challenge is to get 25 mangler kills in tactical slayer. Game comes up and it's the sidekick. Sorry I fucking hate tactical slayer and Im not wasting my time. So I quit out and 15 minute ban. Been stuck in FFA trying get my cumulative score of 7500 and getting cheapo murdered by the AR left and right (another playlist i really don't enjoy). So stupid. What a fucking terrible weapon. I'm wondering how long i can put up with the garbage in the game. I complain all the time and then come back. It's my own fault. I want to love this game but there are changes that need to happen now not in 3-6 months.

EDIT: having a specific weapon challenge in a playlist where that weapon isn't even available for 1/3 to 2/3rds of the time is fucking retarded. Hats off to 343 for coming up with another not-well-thought-out challenge. Are they brain dead?

EDIT2:

Fans: complain - "Need better challenges and less playlist specific challenges."

343:
DpQ9YJl.jpg

one of my favorite memes btw lol

EDIT3: not to mention the game has crashed on me 3 times this morning in a span of about an hour.

Last edited:
Update: 3 swat games with the sidekick. 1 game with the BR. No games with the mangler. This is what 343 wants?

Edit: followed by 2 mangler games. I'm still frustrated though.

Edit again: done with the challenge. Ugh. Double barf but at least I'm done. Rewarded with a green visor I can't even use. Excellent. Well worth it lol.

Will Ferrell Eww GIF by filmeditor

Last edited:
Sober words here. I have to wonder why 343 is trying so hard to force/match players into the same skill levels. When everything was ranked in Halo 2/3 players naturally progressed to the level of other players of the same skill. There's a point where if you're not good enough you won't progress further, at least not without a team to carry you. Which means a player is playing among other players of close to the same skill level. Bottom line is it was a system that worked with a social playlist to take a breather from competitive play. Can they not just allow us to rank up organically to whatever level 1-50? How is this so hard?

Like what is this nonsense? How can you have too many Diamond/Onyx players and why does it even matter? People play, win games, and rank up. If that's where everyone ends up then who cares. This feels like some serious catering to people who think they're better than everyone else.
It feels like there are too many Diamond/Onyx players. Is that true?
Earlier this year we confirmed that ranks were on average somewhat higher than expected, as discussed in our previous blog post (link here). But our recent updates to ranked matchmaking, and the accompanying rank reset on Feb 22, should have helped to adjust the distribution.
It’s too early to share full details on the new distribution, as many players are still working on their qualifying matches. However, we can share that for the players in the Platinum/Diamond tiers, the new changes have resulted in CSRs 150-300 points (3-6 sub-ranks) below what they were pre-reset, depending on playlist.

So they're going to add an even higher tier than Onyx?
Onyx is the highest rank right now. Will there ever be a Champion rank again?
We hear this feedback loud and clear, and we’ll be adding it in a future season down the road. Similar to the reconnect feature above, we still need to scope out the work for this before we can commit to any timing.

I've never had anything quite this egregious happen to me before but the hammer is straight up bullshit. It should have no way to do damage behind the person wielding it, and if it's gonna damage the players behind it it might as well damage the wielder too... Due to connection issues (i'm assuming) i have games where it takes 2 hammer hits to kill someone more often than not and then i can be one shot killed by it from distance.

Last edited:
Yeah I hear these from two of my mates all the time...why can't we just have the old social random matching systems with some loose party number matching rules? I also preferred a fixed rank, I'm over seasonal ranks and I just don't play ranked because it creates smurfs and gets skewed anyhow. Now we have players dumping their MMR on purpose in social to get easier games in ranked too.

When I read this -
It’s too early to share full details on the new distribution, as many players are still working on their qualifying matches.

I just think, how many weeks does it take players to have a go at 10 ranked matches? Pretty piss poor if you're players aren't even completing the 10 qualifying matches early in a season or split.

Here's some more from that twitter post above. The thread is pretty good as people are posting all their wtf moments.

Yeah I hear these from two of my mates all the time...why can't we just have the old social random matching systems with some loose party number matching rules? I also preferred a fixed rank, I'm over seasonal ranks and I just don't play ranked because it creates smurfs and gets skewed anyhow. Now we have players dumping their MMR on purpose in social to get easier games in ranked too.

When I read this -

I just think, how many weeks does it take players to have a go at 10 ranked matches? Pretty piss poor if you're players aren't even completing the 10 qualifying matches early in a season or split.
Yup.

EDIT: Another post talking about issues with the ranking system

Last edited:
I wonder if Max Hoberman had any input into Infinite's matchmaking systems?

I like what he's selling -

Exactly why games/moes built around esports first aren't going to hit it with the masses for long term population.

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
I wonder if Max Hoberman had any input into Infinite's matchmaking systems?

I like what he's selling -

Exactly why games/moes built around esports first aren't going to hit it with the masses for long term population.

Iv always said games that are built to be an esport first always fail, but good games will naturally become an esport, there are some exceptions but with the large trail of failed esport games I think il take the 99% accuracy on this.

My bet is still that when they release forge they will try to monetise it via "forge packs" which you need to buy to unlock specific objects to be used in your forge map or game mode.

I mean its free right? You don't need to have the map based in an artic environment so why shouldn't 343 charge for exclusively crafted winter forge objects?

Only time will tell, there might not be much of a base left when it arrives to find out.

Iv always said games that are built to be an esport first always fail, but good games will naturally become an esport, there are some exceptions but with the large trail of failed esport games I think il take the 99% accuracy on this.

My bet is still that when they release forge they will try to monetise it via "forge packs" which you need to buy to unlock specific objects to be used in your forge map or game mode.

I mean its free right? You don't need to have the map based in an artic environment so why shouldn't 343 charge for exclusively crafted winter forge objects?

Only time will tell, there might not be much of a base left when it arrives to find out.
In the past I have argued the reverse, especially for the first few Halo games. However, I might need to rethink that a bit. In the case of Infinite, I think it's a good game and has the fun factor it needs to be successful. The esports side of it is whatever for me, but it's the matchmaking system, ranking system, and progression system that are all a mess. If 343 could somehow magically redo/revamp it all I know Infinite would fair even better.

Who knows what they will do with forge, but the way they've treated everything else so far points to more moneyhatting. So we should all prepare ourselves mentally.

Last edited:
Top Bottom