• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Law Student Plays the Race Card — and Gets Busted, Big Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

pje122

What a moron... kick this joke out of the school...
http://abovethelaw.com/2011/05/a-law-student-plays-the-race-card-and-gets-busted-big-time/
It’s time for more race-related drama from UVA Law School. Back in February, Elie wrote about a UVA Law party that featured Confederate flag decor. Now I will tell you about a 3L’s fabricated tale of racial harassment by university police.
(Yes, Lat’s writing this story. So you can relax, UVA folks — at least for now. Maybe Elie will take a crack at it on Monday.)
In late April, Johnathan Perkins, a third-year law student at UVA, wrote a letter to the editor that was published in Virginia Law Weekly, the law school’s student newspaper. In his letter, Perkins claimed that he was harassed by UVA university police while walking home from a party, purportedly on account of his race (he’s African-American). Perkins said he was moved to share the story “because it is important for my classmates to hear a real-life anecdote illustrating the myth of equal protection under the law.”
The trouble is, it was anything but a “real-life anecdote,” as Perkins himself recently confessed….
If Perkins’s intent was to spark a discussion, he succeeded. Virginia Law Weekly ran a companion piece to the letter in its April 22 edition, in which a reporter interviewed members of the faculty about the incident. Students discussed the story with one another, over lunch and at parties. Here’s what one had to say:
Personally I was touched by [Perkins's] letter. He wrote it well, without vindictiveness, but seeking for understanding. It worked. I was so shocked that this had happened and I knew that something like this would never happen to me as a white student here. And since this had actually happened in my town, to a fellow law student of my same age and basic social surroundings, it made racial profiling so much more real to me. Many other law students had similar reactions.
University officials conducted an investigation to get to the bottom of what happened. And here’s what they found, according to UVA’s recent press release (reprinted in full below):
On May 5, after a thorough investigation into allegations that University of Virginia police officers had mistreated an African-American law student, the individual acknowledged that his story had been a fabrication.
“I wrote the article to bring attention to the topic of police misconduct,” he said in a written statement. “The events in the article did not occur.”
Wow — that’s actually kind of impressive. Go back and read Perkins’s letter. It’s dramatic, describing the “two different worlds” that whites and African-Americans supposedly inhabit, and invoking the names of police brutality victims Amadou Diallo and Abner Louima. And it’s detailed, with descriptions of how Perkins was supposedly manhandled by the officers, as well as lines of dialogue from the encounter (“Oh, he’s a law student.”).
And to think that it was all made up. If this whole “law” thing doesn’t work out for Perkins, he could explore a career as a novelist or screenwriter.
What’s going to happen to Perkins? Will he be charged with filing a false report? Apparently not, according to the UVA press release:
“I recognize that police misconduct does occur,” [university police chief Michael Gibson] said. “Pressing charges in this case might inhibit another individual who experiences real police misconduct from coming forward with a complaint. I want to send the message just how seriously we take such charges and that we will always investigate them with care and diligence.”
So Johnathan Perkins won’t face criminal charges as a result of his misrepresentations. But he will face the scorn and anger of UVA classmates and alumni. Here’s what one had to say:
I’m pretty disgusted any one of my classmates would think so lowly of other people as to put their jobs in jeopardy “to make a point.” Especially when that point is that you have to fabricate police misconduct to show that it happens (which obviously isn’t true, but that’s the point he ended up making). I’m not pro-police by any means, but that still doesn’t justify what this kid did.
From a second source (the one who said he was initially moved by the Perkins letter):
I personally feel so betrayed by the fact that this story was made up. It hurts because the story had seriously affected me, and now every time I hear a story of racially based police misconduct this is going to be the memory that will pop into my head. And I’ll try to fight it off, but every REAL story from someone who faced something similar will be laced with the memory of this phony story fabricated to manipulate my heart-strings. It’s a sham on UVA students, and a slap in the face to every real victim of racially motivated police misconduct.
And a third:
I think that it’s really sad and troubling that Jonathan Perkins would feel the need to make up racial incidents because these sort of events do happen in real life. When people make up stories about racial harassment, it jades people to times when racism really does occur. I think his actions have hurt and embarrassed not just himself, but UVA, the professors who got involved in trying to help him, the police officers defamed, and the Charlottesville community at large. As a future attorney, Jonathan should know better
Also, I am not sure but I think he may have violated the UVA Honor Code by filing a false police report. This is a serious breach of the standards we hold to at UVA.
Ah yes — the UVA Honor Code. Let’s look at that now. It’s a “single sanction” system, meaning that there’s one punishment for violations, and that punishment is dismissal — i.e., “one strike and you’re out.” A tipster explained it to us in more detail:
The UVa Honor code is championed by the community. In fact, the UVa website states:
“Today students at the University make a commitment not to lie, cheat, or steal within Charlottesville, Albemarle County, or where they represent themselves as University students in order to gain the trust of others. Because of this commitment, there’s a strong degree of trust among the various members of the University community. Students are also expected to conduct themselves with integrity and are presumed honorable until proven otherwise.”
Perkins is set to graduate on May 22, despite the fact that he lied to the UVa Law community, the university community, Charlottesville, and Albemarle County. As the Honor Committee states, the three criteria of a violation are: act, intent, and seriousness. Perkins knew he was lying, acted upon that fabrication by sending the story to the Virginia Law Weekly and local media outlets, and the seriousness of the situation is exemplified by the internal investigation that was started and the widespread publicity the story got in the local media outlets. This conduct is a blatant and intentional violation of the honor code and should be taken seriously.
If the honor committee does not take action against this simply because Perkins is supposed to graduate in two weeks, it undercuts the entire Honor Code system at UVa. Should a UVa law student be immune from violating the honor code simply because he’s so close to graduation? Of course not; this is a public and egregious violation of the honor code that brings shame on the entire UVa community and should be dealt with swiftly and justly, before Perkins is allowed to graduate, if he should be allowed to graduate at all.
Here’s the opinion of a second source:
I don’t think the Law School should confer a degree on this student. In addition to being a clear violation of the University’s honor code, his conduct is criminal. He should feel lucky that the police will not press charges against him. Regardless of the seriousness of the problems that he sought to raise awareness of, his means of doing so are inexcusable. He should have written an editorial about police misconduct instead of fabricating an incident.

What would possess someone in Johnathan Perkins’s shoes to do such a thing? Aside from the unethical nature of lying, in a way that could have gotten police officers fired, he ran the risk of getting caught — as he ultimately did.
(Note how he claimed, in his letter, “I saw dozens of people staring at me [being apprehended by police]….” If none of these “dozens of people” could be produced to discuss the incident, wouldn’t that cause people to question his tale?)
Could Johnathan Perkins suffer from some mental health issue that caused him to act in this way? Perhaps he will invoke a mental-health justification if called to defend himself against Honor Code charges. Cf. Jayson Blair, Burning Down My Masters’ House: My Life at the New York Times(memoir by former New York Times reporter caught in fabrication and plagiarism scandal,suggesting that the stress of being African-American in an elite environment like that of the Times may have contributed to his unethical actions).
We’ve reached out to Perkins for comment but have not heard back from him; if and when we do, we will update this post. Word on the street is that he’s scheduled to be joining a firm next year (although we don’t know which firm; if you do, please email us). We also understand that Perkins was a Peer Adviser this past year — “a sort of mentor to 1Ls.” Right now he’s not looking like the best role model.
Readers, what do you think? Should Johnathan Perkins be allowed to receive his J.D. after what he did? Read the links and press release collected below, discuss in the comments, and vote in our poll.
Johnathan-Perkins-UVA-Law-student.jpg

"herp derp!"

Well on the bright side, he got much needed discussion about the reality of racial profiling in the minds of these young prospective lawyers...

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
“I wrote the article to bring attention to the topic of police misconduct,” he said in a written statement. “The events in the article did not occur.”
Sounds like a lawyer already.

Alucrid said:
Well, he was dumb enough to go into law school right now.

UVA's a top 10 law school. If you bust your ass and work hard, the school's gonna take care of you just fine.

Not that this guy looks like top of his class material, mind.

mre

Golden Domers are chickenshit!!
foodtaster said:
Well on the bright side, he got much needed discussion about the reality of racial profiling in the minds of these young prospective lawyers...

Who are likely to (a) be more receptive in the future to similar stories or (b) view them with suspicion?

Also, I can't believe Elie is still a writer there. He's almost universally hated by the commentators.

mre said:
Who are likely to (a) be more receptive in the future to similar stories or (b) view them with suspicion?

Also, I can't believe Elie is still a writer there. He's almost universally hated by the commentators.
It will be (a) definitely. Stories such as this one are in the 'super-rare' category. Mind you the students who go to UVA are pretty damn resourceful and would take more time to see the legitimacy next time.

ChiTownBuffalo

Either I made up lies about the Boston Bomber or I fell for someone else's crap. Either way, I have absolutely no credibility and you should never pay any attention to anything I say, no matter what the context. Perm me if I claim to be an insider
I hope he gets kicked out of school, or denied admittance in the VA Bar.

mre

foodtaster said:
It will be (a) definitely. Stories such as this one are in the 'super-rare' category. Mind you the students who go to UVA are pretty damn resourceful and would take more time to see the legitimacy next time.

Of course they're in the "super-rare" category, but when you have students making comments like this:
Personally I was touched by [Perkins's] letter. He wrote it well, without vindictiveness, but seeking for understanding. It worked. I was so shocked that this had happened and I knew that something like this would never happen to me as a white student here. And since this had actually happened in my town, to a fellow law student of my same age and basic social surroundings, it made racial profiling so much more real to me. Many other law students had similar reactions.
in relation to the original story, where they are moved by their personal connection to the "victim," you are more likely to get comments like this in the backlash when they realize it was all a lie:
I personally feel so betrayed by the fact that this story was made up. It hurts because the story had seriously affected me, and now every time I hear a story of racially based police misconduct this is going to be the memory that will pop into my head. And I’ll try to fight it off, but every REAL story from someone who faced something similar will be laced with the memory of this phony story fabricated to manipulate my heart-strings. It’s a sham on UVA students, and a slap in the face to every real victim of racially motivated police misconduct.
Because they felt a personal connection to the original story, the anger and, for lack of a better word, betrayal is even stronger. I think he hurt his cause among the UVA law students at least.

mre said:
Of course they're in the "super-rare" category, but when you have students making comments like this:

in relation to the original story, where they are moved by their personal connection to the "victim," you are more likely to get comments like this in the backlash when they realize it was all a lie:

Because they felt a personal connection to the original story, the anger and, for lack of a better word, betrayal is even stronger. I think he hurt his cause among the UVA law students at least.
Yeah, I read that. It's sad, but the point still stands. The fact that we're even discussing this rationally shows that at least a little good has come out of this...

mre

foodtaster said:
Yeah, I read that. It's sad, but the point still stands. The fact that we're even discussing this rationally shows that at least a little good has come out of this...
What, no it doesn't? All I got out of this story was that the kid in question is a dick. Maybe you got something out of the OP about the disparate treatment of blacks by police in America, but I can only assume that's because you tried real hard.

mre said:
What, no it doesn't? All I got out of this story was that the kid in question is a dick. Maybe you got something out of the OP about the disparate treatment of blacks by police in America, but I can only assume that's because you tried real hard.
Would we be having this conversation if it were not for this guy's actions bringing this issue (both the racial profiling and the idiocy of some law students) up? His actions bring racial profiling 'on the radar' temporarily as well as warn students of the consequences of such idiotic actions. Otherwise I agree with ya.

foodtaster said:
Would we be having this conversation if it were not for this guy's actions bringing this issue (both the racial profiling and the idiocy of some law students) up? His actions bring racial profiling 'on the radar' temporarily as well as warn students of the consequences of such idiotic actions. Otherwise I agree with ya.

Pretty sure it's already on the radar for a lot of black people around the country... This guy is a dick. Him being a dick doesn't improve anything with the world.

brucewaynegretzky said:
Pretty sure it's already on the radar for a lot of black people around the country... This guy is a dick. Him being a dick doesn't improve anything with the world.
Except actual racial profiling is rarely reported to the extent that this was.

--arranging the facts in a way that sounds believable and moving

--a good, difficult-to-argue with escape plan in case someone points out the obvious flaw (in this case, that it's a fake story)

This kid has what it takes
to contribute to the shitty adversarial legal system.

mre

foodtaster said:

Our conversation doesn't have anything to do with racial profiling, other than the fact that we have used the phrase "racial profiling." The comments of his fellow students are pretty revelatory that his actions did more harm than good, and any students that needed a warning that filing a false police report might not be the best course of action for anyone, let alone someone who, ostensibly, wants to be an attorney, shouldn't be in law school.

I'm sure the VA (or whatever state) bar's character and fitness people are eagerly awaiting his bar application (or his soon-to-come addendum).

Except actual racial profiling is rarely reported to the extent that this was.

To be fair, this hasn't been extensively reported unless you have other links. It's a big deal in the VA law community, and, because it happened to a law student, ATL reported on it. Maybe it's getting play elsewhere, but AtL does not constitute extensive attention. Do we really want to make this guy's false accusation into a bigger story? Doing so can only do more harm than good.

Should Johnathan Perkins be allowed to receive his J.D. after what he did?

Hmm. if he wasn't charged with a crime, I don't know how you refuse to give him the degree he's earned and paid for. Especially since this didn't actually affect his school work. It was 'extracurricular' shenanigans, no?

idk.

Dead Man said:
What a dick. You would not have to look very hard for a true story if you didn't need it to be about you. Wanker.

This. How hard would it be to write a piece for someone who actually went through some racially profiling, it is not hard to find.

Koomaster

He was probably harassed by the police into retracting his story; which is why they aren't prosecuting him. They just want the story to go away and for him to become a pariah. It probably did happen and is still happening to him. Now no one would believe him.

Satyamdas

Banned
foodtaster said:
You really should be sure to do some stretching before you stretch this far. Wouldn't want you to pull any muscles.

The issue of racial profiling is not being discussed in this conversation. The incomprehensible stupidity of a particular law student is. People are aware of racial profiling and mistreatment of minorities, and this incident is doing absolutely nothing to further that discussion. The discussion we are having is rested squarely on this jagoff's stupidity.

Satyamdas said:
You really should be sure to do some stretching before you stretch this far. Wouldn't want you to pull any muscles.

The issue of racial profiling is not being discussed in this conversation. The incomprehensible stupidity of a particular law student is. People are aware of racial profiling and mistreatment of minorities, and this incident is doing absolutely nothing to further that discussion. The discussion we are having is rested squarely on this jagoff's stupidity.
Indeed. I addressed that in my post. Though, to be fair, I'm not really saying that this guys actions does more good than harm, moreso, I am saying there is some good in that there is a lesson to be learned. Of course there is more harm done than good.

mre

Dreams-Visions said:

Hmm. if he wasn't charged with a crime, I don't know how you refuse to give him the degree he's earned and paid for. Especially since this didn't actually affect his school work. It was 'extracurricular' shenanigans, no?

idk.

Depends upon how seriously they take their honor code at UVA. Apparently that take it really seriously.

We had a kid who, in the fall semester of his 3L year, put into his outline a block of text from a treatise and used part of the language from that block of text in an answer to an exam question without attribution. Keep in mind that this was a timed, 3 hour exam, not a take home exam. Anyway, the professor somehow recognized the language, called the guy into his office who explained what had happened. Because the professor did not allow outside materials to be used in the exam, he failed the kid and had him brought up on honor court charges. The guy was thrown off of the Law Review (cost him 4 credit hours plus the 2 or 3 hours from the class that he failed). The honor court ruling came out in about February, which meant that the kid was effectively short 6 or 7 credit hours of graduating in May. He couldn't sit for the bar in July and lost a job that he had lined up because of that.

Now, I know that's academic "fraud," but that shit was piddly. However, the law school (the dean in particular) took it extremely seriously. You should have seen all of the honor court shit we received emails on. One in particular was an opinion by the Chief Justice of the Honor Court as to whether or not using smart phones to look up answers during a law school sponsored trivia night at a bar was a violation of the honor code. I shit you not.

Edit: P.S. it was a violation of the honor code. :|

foodtaster said:

The only light that racial profiling is being discussed in is that it's now harder for real victims of race-based police misconduct to be heard and be believed. It's like girls submitting fake rape accusations -- all it does is harm the real victims.

So, yeah, great job to this jackass, and I hope he gets kicked out without his degree.

What does UVA's Honor Code say about consequences for breaking said Honor Code?

I think that goes a long way toward answering the question of whether or not he should receive his degree this month or not.

mre said:
Depends upon how seriously they take their honor code at UVA. Apparently that take it really seriously.

We had a kid who, in the fall semester of his 3L year, put into his outline a block of text from a treatise and used part of the language from that block of text in an answer to an exam question without attribution. Keep in mind that this was a timed, 3 hour exam, not a take home exam. Anyway, the professor somehow recognized the language, called the guy into his office who explained what had happened. Because the professor did not allow outside materials to be used in the exam, he failed the kid and had him brought up on honor court charges. The guy was thrown off of the Law Review (cost him 4 credit hours plus the 2 or 3 hours from the class that he failed). The honor court ruling came out in about February, which meant that the kid was effectively short 6 or 7 credit hours of graduating in May. He couldn't sit for the bar in July and lost a job that he had lined up because of that.

Now, I know that's academic "fraud," but that shit was piddly. However, the law school (the dean in particular) took it extremely seriously. You should have seen all of the honor court shit we received emails on. One in particular was an opinion by the Chief Justice of the Honor Court as to whether or not using smart phones to look up answers during a law school sponsored trivia night at a bar was a violation of the honor code. I shit you not.

Edit: P.S. it was a violation of the honor code. :|
sure, but that's cheating on an exam. Getting shorted credits is expected. But in this case, it isn't related directly to any course he's taking. It is the definition of extra-curricular, no?

mre

Dreams-Visions said:
What does UVA's Honor Code say about consequences for breaking said Honor Code?

I think that goes a long way toward answering the question of whether or not he should receive his degree this month or not.

Without doing further research, this was in the OP:

Ah yes — the UVA Honor Code. Let’s look at that now. It’s a “single sanction” system, meaning that there’s one punishment for violations, and that punishment is dismissal — i.e., “one strike and you’re out.” A tipster explained it to us in more detail:
Quote:
The UVa Honor code is championed by the community. In fact, the UVa website states:
“Today students at the University make a commitment not to lie, cheat, or steal within Charlottesville, Albemarle County, or where they represent themselves as University students in order to gain the trust of others. Because of this commitment, there’s a strong degree of trust among the various members of the University community. Students are also expected to conduct themselves with integrity and are presumed honorable until proven otherwise.”
Perkins is set to graduate on May 22, despite the fact that he lied to the UVa Law community, the university community, Charlottesville, and Albemarle County. As the Honor Committee states, the three criteria of a violation are: act, intent, and seriousness. Perkins knew he was lying, acted upon that fabrication by sending the story to the Virginia Law Weekly and local media outlets, and the seriousness of the situation is exemplified by the internal investigation that was started and the widespread publicity the story got in the local media outlets. This conduct is a blatant and intentional violation of the honor code and should be taken seriously.
If the honor committee does not take action against this simply because Perkins is supposed to graduate in two weeks, it undercuts the entire Honor Code system at UVa. Should a UVa law student be immune from violating the honor code simply because he’s so close to graduation? Of course not; this is a public and egregious violation of the honor code that brings shame on the entire UVa community and should be dealt with swiftly and justly, before Perkins is allowed to graduate, if he should be allowed to graduate at all.
I can't say that I entirely disagree with the sentiment. At the least the Dean needs to write a letter to the state whose bar the student is preparing to sit for and express any concerns he has to them.
sure, but that's cheating on an exam. Getting shorted credits is expected. But in this case, it isn't related directly to any course he's taking. It is the definition of extra-curricular, no?
Eh, you say cheating, I say bullshit. The guy had put it into his own notes in preparation for the exam. He didn't whole-sale copy from the treatise, he was just unfortunate enough to like that block of text. I understand failing that particular class, it was the stripping him of his law review hours (including 3 hours that he had earned through his work -- the 4th hour was for the final semester) that prevented him from graduating.

Also, I can't speak for UVA, but UA's honor code applied to whatever we were doing, on campus or off.

I don't know how I missed that. I read the entire excerpt from that honor code, but didn't see 2 lines above it. smh

and yea, he should be dismissed. Case closed.

yeah, and blatantly, publicly lying (without clearing things up until after you're called out) doesn't go over well with the BAR either. They want you to take more time to get good at it and hone it into an art, so you can at least get past your character and fitness exam.

Slavik81

Dreams-Visions said:

idk.
Sure. But generally a requirement of professional associations is that you be an upstanding member of the community. Unprofessional conduct can and will get you thrown out.

Let him have his degree. Good luck actually becoming a lawyer.

Slavik81 said:
Sure. But generally a requirement of professional associations is that you be an upstanding member of the community. Unprofessional conduct can and will get you thrown out.

I dunno he'd make a good defense lawyer being able to lie convincingly like that.

mre said:
Eh, you say cheating, I say bullshit. The guy had put it into his own notes in preparation for the exam. He didn't whole-sale copy from the treatise, he was just unfortunate enough to like that block of text. I understand failing that particular class, it was the stripping him of his law review hours (including 3 hours that he had earned through his work -- the 4th hour was for the final semester) that prevented him from graduating.

Also, I can't speak for UVA, but UA's honor code applied to whatever we were doing, on campus or off.

I'm with you on bullshit. I think it'd be hard for anyone who hasn't outlined a law class to understand. In a three hour exam it's obviously unintentional. When I'm writing 15 pages in three hours I can't take time to check exactly where I got that blurb from.

mre

Slavik81 said:

Okay, straight from UVA Law's own mouth:
Established in 1842, the University of Virginia 's Honor System is one of the school's most venerated traditions. Administered solely by students, the Honor System requires that an individual act honorably in all relations and phases of student life. More specifically, the system rests on the premise that lying, cheating, and stealing are breaches of the spirit of honor and mutual trust and are not to be tolerated within the University community. Students found guilty by a jury of their peers are permanently dismissed from the University. Expulsion is, and has been, the only sanction for an honor violation for more than 160 years.
Dude should be grass.

Yaboosh said:
Wouldn't it be ironic if they punished him more severely because he is black?

How about if they don't punish him as severely as they would any other person, specifically because he is black, and thus indirectly justifying his "whites and blacks live in separate worlds" comments?

Hasphat'sAnts said:
UVA's a top 10 law school. If you bust your ass and work hard, the school's gonna take care of you just fine.

Not that this guy looks like top of his class material, mind.
Why do you say he doesn't look like the top of his class?

Anyways, real stupid move by the guy when he could have easily found someone with a real story of police brutality or misconduct.

shit like this is why people post that shirt image.

this one incident means that person will now doubt every black person's honesty.

brucewaynegretzky said:
Cuz he acted like a moron. The best law students (in my experience) are too scared of ever getting caught doing something wrong.
I just thought it was odd he said "looks" instead of about 5 other ways he could have typed that response, that would have made more sense in the context of the story.

Dead Man

MWS Natural said:
I just thought it was odd he said "looks" instead of about 5 other ways he could have typed that response that would have made more sense in the context of the story.
No, it's because he's black, not for any of the stupid shit he did in the OP. And how would you say it? Seems? Appears? What word is acceptable to you, since almost every word I can thing of is a figurative use of a word that involves sight?

Dead Man said:
No, it's because he's black, not for any of the stupid shit he did in the OP. And how would you say it? Seems? Appears? What word is acceptable to you, since almost every word I can thing of is a figurative use of a word that involves sight?
there are ways to approximate a similar response without simply swapping one word.

"considering what he did, i doubt he was at the top of his class."

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
He doesn't look very black in that photo. I would have assumed he was Caucasian or even Middle Eastern if it wasn't for the article.

Dead Man said:
Not that this guy deserves to be the top of his call now.
Not that this guy deserves it after his actions.
Not that a liar deserves to be at the top of his class.
Not that this guy's actions is something a top student would do.
Not that this guy acts like top of his class material, mind.
How he looks has nothing to do with his actions. Saying looks was an odd choice of word to me so I asked for clarification, you are the one jumping from one conclusion to the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom