• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Law Student Plays the Race Card — and Gets Busted, Big Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead Man

MWS Natural said:
How he looks has nothing to do with his actions. Saying looks was an odd choice of word to me so I asked for clarification, you are the one jumping from one conclusion to the next.
The Faceless Master said:
there are ways to approximate a similar response without simply swapping one word.

"considering what he did, i doubt he was at the top of his class."
Why focus on that one word if you think it should be said completely differently?

Meh, fair enough, I just think maybe there is a bit too much sensitivity sometimes. 'Looks' is widely understood to be figurative in many contexts.

Funtruck

Banned
Dead Man said:
Why focus on that one word if you think it should be said completely differently?

Meh, fair enough, I just think maybe there is a bit too much sensitivity sometimes. 'Looks' is widely understood to be figurative in many contexts.
Why are you referring to The Faceless Master and MWS Natural as the same person?

Is it because you think that all black people are the same?

RACIST

Dead Man said:

When did I say it should be said completely differently? I simply asked why he chose looks specifically instead of other words that would make more sense in the context of the posted story. You asked for examples of how it could be said in another way and I posted several.

The only people who are sensitive right now are those who are jumping to conclusions in anger or displaying a juvenile attempt at mockery.

MWS Natural said:
I just thought it was odd he said "looks" instead of about 5 other ways he could have typed that response, that would have made more sense in the context of the story.

Are you fucking kidding me? Now you're going to try and turn some particular word usage that still makes sense in the statement into a race thing?

Funtruck

Banned
MWS Natural said:
When did I say it should be said completely differently? I simply asked why he chose looks specifically instead of other words that would make more sense in the context of the posted story. The only people who are sensitive right now are one who are lashing out in anger or some juvenile attempt at mockery.
You continue arguing semantics and I'll continue mocking you for it.

:)

Dead Man

MWS Natural said:
When did I say it should be said completely differently? I simply asked why he chose looks specifically instead of other words that would make more sense in the context of the posted story. The only people who are sensitive right now are one who are lashing out in anger or some juvenile attempt at mockery.
Ooookaaay. You took issue at this post:

Not that this guy looks like top of his class material, mind.

Now, I don't know about you, but I do not get the idea he meant it to be a reflection on his posture, height, skin colour, or any other thing but his actions and perceived level of intellect due to resorting to a stupid action.

I am not angry, I just don't understand your problem with the wording used. I think you may need to dial down your sensitivity a little bit. So yeah. Anyway, we can agree the guy is a dick who does not deserve to be at the top oh his class, and probably will not be with the reasoning abilities he has demonstrated by these actions?

Dead Man said:

i'm not focusing on one word, i'm focused on the content and context of the sentence.

yeah, i feel there is a bit too much sensitivity in the world every time a random chick clutches her purse or ipod a little tighter.

Jangocube

Banned
Typical people in here defending him.

Of course he should be kicked out of school. But that's common sense, something a lot of people don't abide by anymore.

Funtruck

Banned
i'm not focusing on one word, i'm focused on the content and context of the sentence.

yeah, i feel there is a bit too much sensitivity in the world every time a random chick clutches her purse or ipod a little tighter.
The mental gymnastics it took you to go from that guys completely obvious innocent post to women clutching their items in fear of black/brown people must've been AMAZING.

You deserve a gold medal.

He had to fake it to show things like that happen, ya' know cus' it's imposable to go though police and public records to do that you would need to be a journalist or a lawyer.

Funtruck said:
The mental gymnastics it took you to go from that guys completely obvious innocent post to women clutching their items in fear of black/brown people must've been AMAZING.

You deserve a gold medal.
it's just life. i find it hilarious that you claim that linking two fairly common things requires mental gymnastics.

Dreams-Visions said:
Should Johnathan Perkins be allowed to receive his J.D. after what he did?

Hmm. if he wasn't charged with a crime, I don't know how you refuse to give him the degree he's earned and paid for. Especially since this didn't actually affect his school work. It was 'extracurricular' shenanigans, no?

idk.
Should he have been charged with a crime? Or wasn't he charged because of who he is?

travisbickle said:
Should he have been charged with a crime? Or wasn't he charged because of who he is?

He's violated the code of conduct, and whether that code is something you agree with or not is the only thing to debate. The school obviously has reason to fear being accused of something if they enforce it in his case, so they're letting him slide.

Racism and profiling is a serious issue, but this entire thing reeks of sickening levels of white guilt.

LaserBuddha said:
He's violated the code of conduct, and whether that code is something you agree with or not is the only thing to debate. The school obviously has reason to fear being accused of something if they enforce it in his case, so they're letting him slide.
I meant because he's a law student at a high profile, prestigious university RACIST!

travisbickle said:
I meant because he's a law student at a high profile, prestigious university RACIST!

Well I meant "you" to no one in particular. Your post was worded too awkwardly for me to understand and I don't 100% understand what you mean with this one either.

LaserBuddha said:
Well I meant "you" to no one in particular. Your post was worded too awkwardly for me to understand and I don't 100% understand what you mean with this one either.
I was trying to make a social commentary about why he wasn't charged with a crime, and also make a joke about any written sentence potentially being construed as racist. Someone was supposed to accuse me of racism but you spoiled it.

remnant

Banned

Sorry but no one buys that "white woman clutching her pearls when I walk by" shit anymore.

The guy is an idiot and should be dropped. He'll have plenty of soapboxes to stand on in the future

travisbickle said:
I was trying to make a social commentary about why he wasn't charged with a crime, and also make a joke about any written sentence potentially being construed as racist. Someone was supposed to accuse me of racism but you spoiled it.

I actually edited out my last sentence which was "You've left the interpretation door open for The Faceless Master or MWS Natural to walk in and call you a racist."

I removed it because, although I value my own amusement over most everything else, I really didn't want to hear from them again.

SmokyDave said:
Only had my wallet stolen once.

By a white woman :(

BIoyl.jpg

SmokyDave

and yet it still happens all the time.
How can you make such a broad and general statement like this? You cannot possibly know this and yet you sound so confident?

"all the time"? really?

All I can think when you & MWS post is that the US is fucking miles behind Europe when it comes to racial issues. I'm not sure you're painting an accurate picture.

SmokyDave said:
How can you make such a broad and general statement like this? You cannot possibly know this and yet you sound so confident?

"all the time"? really?

All I can think when you & MWS post is that the US is fucking miles behind Europe when it comes to racial issues. I'm not sure you're painting an accurate picture.
kilometers behind, except at sporting events!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom