• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Plague Tale: Requiem | Review Thread

dorkimoe

Took me 2 seconds to realize this isn’t 60fps. I’m so fucking sick of this and anyone who defends it. Going from 60 back down to 30 is frustrating and ruins the game

Also the kid is so annoying

Last edited:

kittoo

Cretinously credulous
Weird that the game only supports dualsense on PC in wired mode. When connected to Bluetooth the game doesn't recognize it, even if steam does.

Character models are still in uncanny valley territory, but good god the rest of the game is absolutely gorgeous. Probably the current gen game that's come closest to living up to the promise of that UE5 tech demo. 30 FPS is definitely noticeable, but it's an extremely stable 30FPS so honestly not as big of a deal as I'd thought it was going to be.

(playing on a Series X)
It looks that good? How's it stack up against the original?

winjer

Gold Member
Wait, they don't give you the option to remove those in game?

Forced vignette and film grain, I find hard to believe.

Nope. Only for motion blur, chromatic aberration and depth of field.
And depth of field can't be turned off, only reduce the quality level.

No way these posts are serious right...? Game looks good but not HOLY SHIT looking good unless you never played modern games before, nor a generational difference unless you're blind. Jesus the hyperbole in this thread is off the charts. Imagine getting a 4090 just to play this at decent framerates. What the fuck is this insanity? Are gamers getting dumber with each year?
we're living in the age of graphics, framerates, & $1000 video cards. where everything else about a game, it often seems, comes in a distant second...

as someone who's been gaming for decades, & someone possessing i'd guess average vision, i'm definitely able to admire/appreciate good graphics up to a point. but the quality of the graphics of a game, for me, is not, & has never been, all that important a consideration in judging a game's worth or value. gameplay, story, characterization, environmental design, all these things are of much greater interest to me than the game's graphics...

so, yeah, op - i don't get it, either...

GHG

Just started this up on PC and yeh... I'm going to have to lean on VRR LFC if I want to play it with my current hardware, even with DLSS. I'll give it an hour or so before deciding whether I continue for now or not prior to a GPU upgrade.

My main issue is that the game looks like it still has some sort of filter going on even after turning of chromatic aberration. Is there something I'm missing?

Edit:

By editing the ENGINESETTINGS in the documents folder, people can tweak settings even further.

For example, to disable lens dirt, lens flare, film grain and vignette.

You are a superstar. Thank you.

Last edited:

winjer

Gold Member
Just started this up on PC and yeh... I'm going to have to lean on VRR LFC if I want to play it with my current hardware, even with DLSS. I'll give it an hour or so before deciding whether I continue for now or not prior to a GPU upgrade.

My main issue is that the game looks like it still has some sort of filter going on even after turning of chromatic aberration. Is there something I'm missing?

Yes, the game still has film grain, dof, lens dirt, lens flares, lens distortion and vignette enabled.
Go to your documents folder and open the file ENGINESETTINGS. At the end, you can turn all of this off.
You might also want to tweak the sharpening filter strength.

Stuart360

Edit:

You are a superstar. Thank you.
You have a 2070 Super right GHG?, thats similar level to my 1080ti. Try putting everything on medium, with textures on max. You should get around 60fps at 1080p.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I played the game for 52 minutes according to Steam clock. What a bore fest. I just reached the house. I hope it will get better. Terrible first impression.

GHG

You have a 2070 Super right GHG?, thats similar level to my 1080ti. Try putting everything on medium, with textures on max. You should get around 60fps at 1080p.

I'm on 4k man. Desperately need to upgrade but holding out until a 4090 comes in stock or AMD's presentation, whichever comes first. Hate having to lean on VRR like this but I will see if I feel like it's worth it for now or not.

Yes, the game still has film grain, dof, lens dirt, lens flares, lens distortion and vignette enabled.
Go to your documents folder and open the file ENGINESETTINGS. At the end, you can turn all of this off.
You might also want to tweak the sharpening filter strength.

Found it.

Look at all this shit:

Q9xU6ZP.png

Are they kidding with doing all this and not making all of these toggleable in the options menu? It's so over the top.

winjer

Gold Member
Found it.

Look at all this shit:

Q9xU6ZP.png

Are they kidding with doing all this and not making all of these toggleable in the options menu? It's so over the top.

I know. The game looks significantly better without all this crap.

After tweaking some settings, I managed to get the game to run at 70-80 fps, with DLSS Quality. In certain situations, even at 90-100.
But there were several points where performance would tank to the high 50's. So I started tweaking the settings file and found the culprit. It was VolumetricLights.
Turning this off will mean there are no light shafts, but if you are hurting for some extra performance, this might be the solution.

Reactions: GHG

GHG

I'm sure it's because of the "artistic vision" or some other BS like that.

I mean there's artistic vision and then there's flat out making me feel like I'm drunk. This is the latter in it's default state.

Also for anyone who might be wondering, the file you need to edit is in the AppData ---> Roaming folder for the steam version.

winjer

Gold Member
Seems the config file is in different places, depending on the store.

GOG and Windows Store:
%USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\A Plague Tale Requiem\ENGINESETTINGS

Steam:
%APPDATA%\A Plague Tale Requiem\ENGINESETTINGS

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I mean there's artistic vision and then there's flat out making me feel like I'm drunk. This is the latter in it's default state.

Also for anyone who might be wondering, the file you need to edit is in the AppData ---> Roaming folder for the steam version.

I turned off everything, including eye adaptation. Terrible effects. I'm not sure what they were thinking.

Reactions: GHG

Alan Wake

we're living in the age of graphics, framerates, & $1000 video cards. where everything else about a game, it often seems, comes in a distant second...

as someone who's been gaming for decades, & someone possessing i'd guess average vision, i'm definitely able to admire/appreciate good graphics up to a point. but the quality of the graphics of a game, for me, is not, & has never been, all that important a consideration in judging a game's worth or value. gameplay, story, characterization, environmental design, all these things are of much greater interest to me than the game's graphics...

so, yeah, op - i don't get it, either...
Thank you. I've played Alone in the Dark: The New Nightmare on Dreamcast lately (talk about dips in framerate...) I enjoyed it. Gaming for me is not just about framerate and graphics! Can people whining about 30fps even touch older games?

T-Cake

Really enjoying it so far, my only gripe is that Amicia has lost a bit of the French accent she had previously. In some scenes, she sounds too much like her english voice actor.

Trunim

I wish there was another character in this fellowship that could draw equal with Amicia. Lucas is the biggest whimp. He treats Amicia like a goddess. Is he in love?

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Just started playing on PS5.....yep this wasn't gonna be 60fps game.
Beautiful game so far.
Not sure about Natalie Portman though..🤔

GHG

Is that running any form of RT? They've really nailed outdoors lighting and shading.

No RT, max settings, DLSS quality enabled at 4k. Had to cut some of the top of the screenshots off as I forgot to turn my framerate counter off when I took them.

Last edited:
30fps on next gen is atrocious! More like last gen! Absolutely atrocious! I'm personally offended!

I may as well take out my bloody Dreamcast and play Shenmue! Smooth frame rates all the way.

The Dreamcast giveth and next gen taketh away. Remember this Gaf. Remember this.

Last edited:

Deerock71

There is no 60fps option on consoles, this is what we get

Xbox Series S: 1080p/30fps | 40fps on 120hz

Xbox Series X: 1440p/30fps | 40fps on 120hz

PS5: 1440p/30fp | 40fps on 120hz

I loved the first game, i will get this on pc instead.
Framesluts be wailing and gnashing their teeth. But honestly, I'd say get used to it if you're a PS5 and/or Series X owner. The higher the requirements on a high-end PC, the more devs will settle for slashing the FPS on the consoles. Because, at the end of the day, you can't capture a beautiful image of an F...PS.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
My god. Chapter 9 .. that is basically this games version of entering the open world in Crysis / Madagascar in Uncharted 4.

I spent 2~ hours in that one chapter alone.

10-18-2022_3-28-36_pmvndsr.png

10-18-2022_3-28-36_pme2fxx.png

10-18-2022_3-28-35_pmosij2.png

FUBARx89

Seems like more Plague Tale innocence, which isn't a bad thing as I really enjoyed it.

For consoles I wish they'd put a 40hz toggle in the options menu. I've got my SX plugged into a port that only does 1440p @ 120hz. Spent a while trying to figure out why the SX was outputting a 4k signal and dropped the refresh rate to 60.

Turns out the SX will force the highest resolution the port is capable of, even if you select the refresh rate as 120.

Last edited:

Jaybe

Feels pretty good now with the 40fps mode and sensitivities upped to 2.0 plus no blur or CA. Started chapter 4. I like the small improvements to the weapon wheel they made vs the first game.

rodrigolfp

Haptic Gamepads 4 Life

A 2k$ gpu can barely do 60 fps at 4k without DLSS3. Lmao. This game is pretty much bought by Nvidia™ and gamers are yet again falling for it. This shit aint the new Crysis, it's a scam.

Can't see any difference between RT on vs off. Is it really only for shadows?

Last edited:
That photo mode has a lot to be desired. First of all it lets you NOCLIP through literally anything, second, depth of field is weird...sometimes your own character is blurry when taking a screenshot but the scene in front of them is crystal clear.

Pimpollo818

my 2 cents: as someone who found the first game largely forgettable, I'm finding this to be more of the same
+graphics are pretty
-takedown animations can lead to funny moments of Alicia knocking a pc through geometry (reminds me a lot of the Deus Ex 3 takedowns)
-invisible walls everywhere make the game feel very much like you're just playing out a script (esp in the outdoor areas)
+strong performances and voice acting. my fav bit of the game thus far was when Amicia goes full Kratos
-gameloop feels largely formulaic and as a result boring. at least there's some neat voiceover that reacts to how lethal your playstyle is

Top Bottom