• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A single cosmetic pack in Diablo IV will be $28

Draugoth

Gold Member
OP, do you realise that right now, there are items in your local supermarket that you'd think are wildly overpriced?

Same solution. Walk past them. It's really not that hard.

I can't have the necromancer skin in my shelf :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Diablo 4 is not p2w, so players can spend their money however they want. I don't care how much cosmetics cost, doesn't affect my gameplay

"Doesnt affect gameplay"

Meanwhile...

The armors you get ingame:

images

The armor you get for paying:

clhyzjt5c000vjp0fnbuy94m7_1

Last edited:

Mephisto40

Honestly do the people complaining about this walk into clothes shops and start screaming "I can't believe this store sells $30 jackets! I already paid for the jacket im wearing now!"

Microtransactions are bad yes, but this idea that you should be outraged at something nobody is making you buy is just silly tbh

Just have some self control and the problem is solved

Honestly do the people complaining about this walk into clothes shops and start screaming "I can't believe this store sells $30 jackets! I already paid for the jacket im wearing now!"

Microtransactions are bad yes, but this idea that you should be outraged at something nobody is making you buy is just silly tbh

They're just upset that they have no self control or are looking to find a way to paint a developer bad. 80% of people here have no clue how expensive game development is now days and don't understand what goes into recouping costs. This is not the early 2000s or 90s anymore.

I wonder if they walk into a Lamborghini store and complain to the managers that the car that costs $300K is expensive and that Lamborghini are scum for not allowing affordable vehicles.

They probably also forgot that the entire life is essentially a forever lifelong MTX commitment that you are FORCED to pay. Every month you have to pay for food, house bills, car payment, insurances, etc... they should be used to it by now. Oh wait but in video games no one is forcing you so what is the issue? KEKW is my answer.

Trickster

Just don't buy cosmetics. Problem solved.

These companies hire people who's sole job is to design the monetization in a way that essentially abuses how human psychology works in order to optimize how much money you can get your playerbase to spend while also not making the monetization so off putting that you end up making people not want to play or spend money.

So sure, you can boil it down and make it sound like a simple thing, but it's really not.

Last edited:
These companies hire people who's sole job is to design the monetization in a way that essentially abuses how human psychology works in order to optimize how much money you can get your playerbase to spend while also not making the monetization so off putting that you end up making people not want to play or spend money.

So sure, you can boil it down and make it sound like a simple thing, but it's really not.
Again: Who gives a shit?

Capitalism reshapes entire societies to prioritize making money. That's just how capitalism works. You live in a capitalist society. Deal with it.

Phase

You can do what you want with your money but keep in mind purchasing this overpriced extra stuff (including a battle pass in a full priced game) after already buying the game is supporting the practice and it will continue to get more egregious in the future because of you. Diablo is one of my all-time favorite series so I'll pick it up when it's very cheap. No way am I giving $60 or $70 when they're trying to rip people off.

Last edited:

Kagoshima_Luke

Gold Member

More like, walk into a clothes shop and buy $30 jacket. Then you realize you need an additional $5 for each front pocket, $8 for the zipper, $10 for the collar.

Why complain? You paid for a jacket and you got a jacket! Just don't buy the other stuff if you don't want it!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
More like, walk into a clothes shop and buy $30 jacket. Then you realize you need an additional $5 for each front pocket, $8 for the zipper, $10 for the collar.

Why complain? You paid for a jacket and you got a jacket! Just don't buy the other stuff if you don't want it!
Bad analogy as those items are functional and essential to use the jacket and none of the items in the store are essential

It would be like buying a jacket and then complaining you didn't get free designs afterwards

It doesnt affect your jacket in any way but you can see people that got some cool patches that paid extra for them

Hot5pur

The $20 game delay tax
The battlepass on a paid game that goes away if you don't grind
The "premium" battlepass
The shared online to push more cosmetics
The KFC marketing
And now the shop with exorbitant pricing

Sure you don't have to buy the cosmetics, I don't think that's the issue.
It's more about the attitude of the company, Blizzard is saying "hey, we know you are really excited about our game and we want to generate more content for you to enjoy"
But then they turn around and say "but we're going to FOMO the shit out of you with everything we release and try to charge as much as we can to the point it's blatantly obvious".

It really depends on consumers to decide if that's where they want the industry to go. Developing new content costs money, that's not the same thing as building up your game to be a fertile ground for predatory monetization schemes.
I think we're basically there already, I don't mind it because I *think* I have enough self control not to be manipulated into this, but anyone who thinks we have 100% free will and that advertisers/marketers haven't tapped into human psychology to get people to buy things (to the point where it becomes an addiction), you would be sorely mistaken. There is a reason we protect children from gambling, and yet, how many adults have gambling disorders? Are they all to blame for their "flawed" character?
I think as a society we do have a responsibility to protect people from scams and predatory behaviors, because companies who invest millions of dollars into figuring out how to manipulate consumers should not be treated as some benevolent entities that strictly believe in the free market and perfectly rationale consumers.
We've already see what happened with AI serving content up to people that led to mass radicalization, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Mephisto40

The whole point is you don't 'need' to buy any of the extra cosmetics in a video game

If you feel like you 'need' a $28 cosmetic in a video game, that is when it becomes a problem, especially when you can't necessarily afford it

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Game is based around loot and costs a fuckton of money in select countries. Don't defend this shit. Fuck off, Blizzard! And it saddens me, because the beta was a lot of fun, and I got the full game for "free" with my overpriced 4070 (Fuck off, Nvidia).

Eotheod

I can't have the necromancer skin in my shelf :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"Doesnt affect gameplay"

Meanwhile...

The armors you get ingame:

images

The armor you get for paying:

clhyzjt5c000vjp0fnbuy94m7_1
That still isn't affecting gameplay? Your argument is moot, as Barbie doll dressups isn't a gameplay mechanics, it's an aesthetic appeal. Gameplay mechanic impact would be having actual stats assigned to the gear like Immortal, and Blizzard know as soon as they do that the game is dead.

The "don't buy it excuse isn't valid anymore" crowd are actually worse than the "don't buy it" vocalists, because the only way to actually impact these decisions is by not buying it. That is the only way consumers can change these developer mindsets, and whinging about people saying that is actually doing literally nothing.

Seriously, just don't lose self control and actually stop purchasing this shit. I did it for Destiny 2 (and actually dropped it entirely), and I'll do it for Diablo by not buying any cosmetics.

Last edited:
Gamers….this 20 hour game that has all the content made for it is amazing…worth at least $60.

Gamers…this 100-150 hour game that is also trying to sell items in a cash shop is a rip off and we should boycott them!

So laughable.

Eotheod

That's actually a horrible analogy, because cosmetics rely on you still having the gameplay mechanic gear. All cosmetics are, are a skin or colour change. Your analogy would work better is if you bought a jacket, and then the shopkeeper told you there is a sparkling blue colour available for an extra $20. No differences, no additional pockets or zippers or shit, just colour change.

That's actually a horrible analogy, because cosmetics rely on you still having the gameplay mechanic gear. All cosmetics are, are a skin or colour change. Your analogy would work better is if you bought a jacket, and then the shopkeeper told you there is a sparkling blue colour available for an extra $20. No differences, no additional pockets or zippers or shit, just colour change.
But instead of being happy you got the same jacket for $20 cheaper….you’re going to go bitch at the people that bought the sparkling jacket for $20 more and that somehow ruined your life.

I’ll just wait for Game Pass, I’m not gonna give Blizzard $60 just to have them actively try to get even more money from me unless it’s a full blown expansion.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO BUY THE COOL STUFF IN AN ALREADY EXPENSIVE GAME
Yes, it's "just" cosmetic stuff, but it's also a BIG PART of the game. You're looking for the perfect ensemble you want with those amazing clothes you've seen on someone else. And now we will have those skins behind a paywall.

Stephen Colbert Slow Clap GIF

If you are ok with that, you are part of the problem with gaming recently. And yes games are expansive, but are you really gonna pretend it won't be a massive success, or that ABK is a poor company that desperately needs this?
D4 is gonna sell gangbusters, and they don't need this stupid battle pass/F2P structure. It's against one of the core of the game: chasing the perfect set with the perfect skin you want.

On the other side, there is the dev of Rifbreaker who just released a new DLC at 10e. New maps, new tech, new weapons and updated graphics. They also plan on adding a free coop mode. No MTX. No in game shop. Mod support. How's that?

Last edited:

sendit

Game is based around loot and costs a fuckton of money in select countries. Don't defend this shit. Fuck off, Blizzard! And it saddens me, because the beta was a lot of fun, and I got the full game for "free" with my overpriced 4070 (Fuck off, Nvidia).
They're putting itemized loot behind a pay wall? That's news to me, fuck BLIZZARD! I'm going to buy the game, beat it, and sell it afterwards. Blizzard isn't going to get a a dime from me.

/s

Last edited:

Schmendrick

Some of you guys must get a nervous breakdown every time you see a car like your own but in a colour you can't immediately have for free.....
Whining about 100% optional cosmetics is laughable, especially in a game that's guaranteed to have 100s of hours worth of content already with plenty of free good looking cosmetics available.

Last edited:

Dexero

The only time I care to transmog something in Diablo 3 is to get the journey task completed in seasonal mode.

I will thank the whales while playing new content 10 years from now

"but.. but, these used to be included!!"

Yes, when games were a few hundred MB and what they shipped is what you got. If some suckers paying for cosmetic skins is what it takes to fund countless amounts of updates and new content, I'm all for it.

Fbh

Well if it cost me $70 to enter the clothes shop, and that used to include the best looking clothes but those along with other stuff are now cordoned off unless you pay extra, but also some of the stuff not only costs extra but I have to sew it together myself, but also they only give you 5 minutes to do so and if you aren't finished in that time you can't take the clothes home (no refunds), but also the sewing machine they give you is slow as fuck but there's a faster and more expensive one you can rent for over twice the price ... then yeah maybe I wouldn't be happy

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Some of you guys must get a nervous breakdown every time you see a car like your own but in a colour you can't immediately have for free.....
Whining about 100% optional cosmetics is laughable, especially in a game that's guaranteed to have 100s of hours worth of content already with plenty of free good looking cosmetics available.

No. It would be like buying a car and having many of its features removed for extra payment later. That is what this is. This isn't "optional content". This is content designed for the game that was removed to be resold as DLC.

Ozzie666

I rather they release mini expansions with a new class and zone(s). I don't want the game to turn into Genshin, but new classes would generate some decent income. Or just more bigger expansions like WOW.

Katajx

Gold Member
I don’t have a problem with purchasable cosmetics in the game. It’s the prices that are atrocious.

Last edited:

sendit

No. It would be like buying a car and having many of its features removed for extra payment later. That is what this is. This isn't "optional content". This is content designed for the game that was removed to be resold as DLC.
Tom Delonge Wtf GIF by Justin

By nature, DLC is optional. Not sure if you meant to contradict yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom