• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A single cosmetic pack in Diablo IV will be $28

Kacho

I rather they release mini expansions with a new class and zone(s). I don't want the game to turn into Genshin, but new classes would generate some decent income. Or just more bigger expansions like WOW.
It will still have traditional expansions. Just in addition to the battle passes and $28 cosmetics.

Despite Reaper of Souls selling exceptionally well, work on future Diablo 3 expansions was stopped because Activision wasn’t pleased with the lack of monetization opportunities within the game. That’s why Diablo 4 is what it is, for better or worse.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
Tom Delonge Wtf GIF by Justin

By nature, DLC is optional. Not sure if you meant to contradict yourself.

DLC is usually in the process of being made after the game goes gold or is designed/made after the game launches. This is content that already exists in the game, was designed during the game's design, and is being taken out to be sold piecemeal. It should be included with the base price.

But please keep remaining purposefully ignorant with this idiotic strawman.

sendit

DLC is usually in the process of being made after the game goes gold or is designed/made after the game launches. This is content that already exists in the game, was designed during the game's design, and is being taken out to be sold piecemeal. It should be included with the base price.

But please keep remaining purposefully ignorant with this idiotic strawman.
LOL at you thinking DLC is usually made after the game goes gold.......Why should it be included in the base price? Out of their kind hearts?

You're making quite a bit of assumptions here. The game was designed to be heavy on player customization. Every item dropped is a cosmetic item. A player isn't blocked from customizing their character in the base game. Yet...you think paid cosmetic items was an after thought during the design phase, and that they purposely took out items from the base game to sell as cosmetics.

Buying the game is not the problem. It's the whales (streamers are the worst for this) that buy all of the cosmetics that are. Imagine if a game released with an in-game store but absolutely nobody in the world spent any money in it. It would certainly make the company think 'oh maybe we shouldn't do that '. Wouldn't that be a sight.

Last edited:

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
LOL at you thinking DLC is usually made after the game goes gold.......Why should it be included in the base price? Out of their kind hearts?

You're making quite a bit of assumptions here. The game was designed to be heavy on player customization. Every item dropped is a cosmetic item. A player isn't blocked from customizing their character in the base game. Yet...you think paid cosmetic items was an after thought during the design phase, and that they purposely took out items from the base game to sell as cosmetics.

Lol at you thinking that they put extra effort into making armor sets to be sold specifically for DLC/MTX and not just take shit that was already being designed and would have been in the game regardless if there were not BP/MTX.

Christ, are you seriously trying to defend lazy and scummy development tactics? Do you have zero shame and backbone?

Ozzie666

This game and franchise are living rent free in people's heads. The overall reception for the game thus far has been overwhelmingly positive, regardless of any negative views on Activision-Blizzard. The negative voices are way in the minority, finding any reason to support their cause of absolute hate towards this game. This is a return to form for Blizzard and Diablo, this is not immortal.

This is their first GAAS type game outside of WOW, more like an MMO than anything. They will need to make additional content to keep their player base. Seasons won't be enough. They will most likely already have planned new classes and some new zones. This isn't some capcom situation where the new classes are on the disc or in the program files already. Necromancer is a starting class, could have easily been held for a DLC.

People absolutely making themselves look silly in this thread. I'm no fan of microtransactions, not even for cosmetics. Long as ABK doesn't change course and introduce pay to win mechanics. If people want to play money to help support the game further, that's a win for me. It means the game will get additionally content. Battle pass is totally optional. Diablo fans, real fans know what they are getting into.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This game and franchise are living rent free in people's heads. The overall reception for the game thus far has been overwhelmingly positive, regardless of any negative views on Activision-Blizzard. The negative voices are way in the minority, finding any reason to support their cause of absolute hate towards this game. This is a return to form for Blizzard and Diablo, this is not immortal.
A return to form? No. This is just another in a long line of them caring more about the monetization than the art of making games.

This is their first GAAS type game outside of WOW, more like an MMO than anything. They will need to make additional content to keep their player base. Seasons won't be enough. They will most likely already have planned new classes and some new zones. This isn't some capcom situation where the new classes are on the disc or in the program files already. Necromancer is a starting class, could have easily been held for a DLC.
HotS. Hearthstone. Overwatch. "first gaas type game outside of WoW"? Bullshit.

They have made additional content before, in Diablos 1-3 without the need of predatory monetization. But please, tell us how the multi-billion dollar company needs help via MTX to fund development. Every single thing on the MTX store and Battle Pass *is* in the game files already. They were designed prior to the launch of the game. Taken to be piecemealed via DLC. It is EXACTLY the same as having Capcom On-disk DLC situations.

People absolutely making themselves look silly in this thread. I'm no fan of microtransactions, not even for cosmetics. Long as ABK doesn't change course and introduce pay to win mechanics. If people want to play money to help support the game further, that's a win for me. It means the game will get additionally content. Battle pass is totally optional. Diablo fans, real fans know what they are getting into.
No, your ignorance and retarded "real fans" shit is what is silly.

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Buying the game is not the problem. It's the whales (streamers are the worst for this) that buy all of the cosmetics that are. Imagine if a game released with an in-game store but absolutely nobody in the world spent any money in it. It would certainly make the company think 'oh maybe we shouldn't do that '. Wouldn't that be a sight.
What...did you not play Avengers?

I'm gonna buy the battle passes but will ignore these skins unless I get the currency from the BP to eventually get one. I also have something called self control.

Entertaining thread though, so many crybabies

Last edited:

EruditeHobo

Agreed, love the visual customization options, built-in xmog, color selection on individual pieces, & saving gear configs. All good stuff.
Shiny cosmetic sets costing lots of money... yeah, probably not going to affect me at all. 🤷‍♂️

Neolombax

My stance on these microtransactions are simple, if its just cosmetics, its fine. Level skips are scummy for a game that has optional PvP, but it doesn't really affect my experience with a game. As long as it isn't forced on me, its fine. I love playing games, and if boycotting a game that plays great because it has microtransactions that aren't forced onto me, I feel this is kinda stupid. I don't really care about how it affects the "industry" to be honest, I'm just too old for this shit and taking a stance or what not. I'm selfish frankly, in that I just care about my own experience.

nush

Some of the Prices in the Diablo IV cosmetic shop have leaked earlier:

"Leaked" bullshit, they put it out there to see if they could get away with that pricing. Now they can act like they are the heroes that need their dick sucked for "Listening to the community" without having to walk back absurd pricing because the info wasn't provided officially.

They are VERY good looking skins. But also...the base skins/armor pieces that were in server slam were also fan-freaking-tastic.

This is a shitty level 14 character....she looks like a complete bad ass imo.

NFzVqjK.png

And this guy...well...he clearly fucks.

WoCkYxg.png
I am impressed with the armor detail with this being a game where you don't see characters up close. They're almost like as if you were playing a game in 3rd person.

Blizzard has always made amazing scaleable custom made proprietary engines. Look at WoWs engine, DF looks glorious for a game from 2004.

Last edited:

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
They are VERY good looking skins. But also...the base skins/armor pieces that were in server slam were also fan-freaking-tastic.

This is a shitty level 14 character....she looks like a complete bad ass imo.

NFzVqjK.png

And this guy...well...he clearly fucks.

WoCkYxg.png
Yeah boy those are smexy.

On one of the developer streams they did a comparison of a few free skins next to some of the paid skins... and the free skins were definitely on par. So if you don't want to purchase cosmetics youre still going to get to take part in the hell apocalypse fashion show. You won't be condemned to rags.

drotahorror

Gonna play Diablo 4 in less than 24 hours. Not going to spend another dime unless it's expansions/classes. Only bought the deluxe because I wanted to play before going on vacation.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
I can't have the necromancer skin in my shelf :messenger_tears_of_joy:

"Doesnt affect gameplay"

Meanwhile...

The armors you get ingame:

images

The armor you get for paying:

clhyzjt5c000vjp0fnbuy94m7_1
This was already addressed.

KQWTHYGJ3R8H1683679745672.png

Whats the next shit tier argument?

I can't fathom the mind of people who complain about entirely optional cosmetic purchases in this day and age. The amount of free content games with successful mtx get because of whales with impulse control issues far exceeds that of paid DLC era games.

L*][*N*K

Banned
If only that worked for Diablo Immortal. I believe this is why the prices are so high, They know what most are willing to spend.
It is their money they can burn it if they want, I and a bunch of sensible people wont waste our money on shit like that, we will save it and buy alcohol with it.

Dr. Claus

Vincit qui se vincit
This was already addressed.

KQWTHYGJ3R8H1683679745672.png

Whats the next shit tier argument?

I can't fathom the mind of people who complain about entirely optional cosmetic purchases in this day and age. The amount of free content games with successful mtx get because of whales with impulse control issues far exceeds that of paid DLC era games.

Didn't stop them from producing large scale expansions and continued support before. Stop defending pointless greed. Both should be in the game at launch, for free, with the purchase of the base game. A 70 dollar game should *not* have an MTX/BP.

It is their money they can burn it if they want, I and a bunch of sensible people wont waste our money on shit like that, we will save it and buy alcohol with it.
yeah go buy alcohol, its not like it hurts your liver or affects your health or anything lol. On a real note, I think hookers would be more beneficial than alcohol lol. Well... at least for me lol.

Last edited:

Eotheod

Well if it cost me $70 to enter the clothes shop, and that used to include the best looking clothes but those along with other stuff are now cordoned off unless you pay extra, but also some of the stuff not only costs extra but I have to sew it together myself, but also they only give you 5 minutes to do so and if you aren't finished in that time you can't take the clothes home (no refunds), but also the sewing machine they give you is slow as fuck but there's a faster and more expensive one you can rent for over twice the price ... then yeah maybe I wouldn't be happy
Why is everyone arguing against cosmetics so shit at analogies? Do you all master in shit talking 101 or something? Quite literally no gear that is labelled as a cosmetic is able to have stats on it, because then it defeats the purpose of said cosmetic description. There is no reduction in gaming value, there are still all gameplay mechanics available for free.

The clothes store has a $70 price tag to enter, and you have your pick of alllll the range available at the front of the shop. That includes some pretty rare 70's clothes that look shaggalicious. The shop does also offer more exclusive items, but they are the same as what is in front but some extra sparkles or flair to them. Same size, cut, material, usefulness and all.

There's your bloody analogy.

HoodWinked

Ya, it's entirely fair to be critical of the microtransactions but also these are optional cosmetics.

The entire point of these skins is to capture whale money which otherwise gets left on the table. Not of fan of this trend but this is only possible because they feel very confident in the quality of the game that they can get away with this.

Aaron Paul He Cant Keep Getting Away With This GIF by Breaking Bad

One other thing though Blizzard is kind of forced into the heel turn because it has become fashionable to hate Blizzard so there is no reason for them to try to rebuild good will, they're judged incredibly harshly compared to their competitors. The entire F2P model which is destroying the industry, the greatest benefactors being Fortnite and League get barely any of the blowback but are massively rewarded and take an outsized amount of the profits.

There isn't really a path to redemption for Blizzard, so there is no incentive for them to be charitable.

Last edited:

Katajx

Gold Member
I played through immortal at launch and had a ton of fun there ignoring all of that stuff and spent no money.

Maybe I’m not a normal Diablo fan or even RPG fan, so my character growing stronger and me not liking the visual customization available to me clashes with my enjoyment of the game.

I’ve bought several Activision games and although I haven’t played the launch version, I do worry about where this is headed.

For example, I bought Modern Warfare 2 because I knew my son would enjoy it.He got the ultimate edition because he wanted to play as ghost, and there wasn’t another standalone version till here recently.

I’m not really huge into that franchise either, but playing as these characters in the story, but then playing as more generic operators and locking the more interesting ones from the cover behind pay walls did not feel good.

It was nickel and diming you if you wanted them. Also, I read that completing the battle pass in Diablo 4 won’t give you enough premium currency to get the next one. That’s not generally how they work in most games.

If there is an alternative way to acquire said currency or a similar cosmetic by playing the game that is way less of an issue. MTX being cosmetics is whatever.If there aren’t a bunch of sets like D3 and I’m stuck looking like a bum without additional investment is where my problem would be.

The thing is, no gaming company wants to ignore the
awesome netflix GIF by Our Planet

As long as there is a tiny contingent of gamers willing to spend hundreds or thousands to have everything in the game they would be fools not to take advantage. I also do not give a shit as long as we are talking cosmetics only. If it doesn't affect you (since you aren't dumb enough to buy this garbage) then why do you care?

Rush2112

Banned
When I was a kid youu could get a BJ from a hooker for 10-15 dollars. Now you can't even get a suit of imaginary armor.

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess
Didn't stop them from producing large scale expansions and continued support before. Stop defending pointless greed. Both should be in the game at launch, for free, with the purchase of the base game. A 70 dollar game should *not* have an MTX/BP.

Ah yes, your precious diablo 2 you still cling too.

LOD originally cost something like $35 for a single act expansion.

Diablo 4 is going to get far more content for absolutely zero dollars thanks to mtx cosmetics that have zero impact on the games function or gameplay.

You can spend not another cent on Diablo 4 and get far more additional content.

TheSHEEEP

Gold Member
"Hello, my friend, stay a while and li- let Blizzard try to suck your wallet dry, without complaining, bitch!"
- Deckard Cain, after spending 6 months in Blizzard Fanboy Reeducation Camp

Last edited:

CGNoire

Good!
They have been signaling to gamers the direction they where taking there games for a long time now and fans either didnt care or voted for it.

Let them suffer. I hope for Diablo V they charge $150+ for all items needed or otherwise. Let them fleece them to death. They deserve it.

In a game absolutely chock full of loot drops, I personally don’t see the point of buying cosmetic items so they can charge a minimum of £1,000 for them, for all I care, I would never buy them anyway. I have never purchased these for ANY game, ever. Those things are just for rich people with more money than sense… oh and idiots, in my opinion.

Last edited:

MMaRsu

Banned
Nah.

Destiny 2 is an exceedingly polished product and has arguably the best FPS mechanics in any game. You might not like it, but to claim it is below average is just silly.
Its a mess. Them taking out actual campaign stuff is ridiculous. Imagine Diablo IV removing ACT 1 from the game after a year.

Fucking lmao. Not saying the pew pew isnt good (best fps in any game tho? lmaooooo).

Diablo IV will be leagues ahead of both games quality wise.

Top Bottom