• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: 60fps will be the standard output for Xbox Series X

A carefully worded PR response that doesn't really answer the unreasonable question and statement from that person Nick.

I think he's more or less saying, while the standard will be 60, the supported/alternative/non-standard outputs include 30 and up to 120.

Last edited:

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Microsoft will likely be targeting 60fps for their titles, but as long as third parties are chasing the shiny graphics for their games, they'll be more than satisifed to settle for 30fps.

Last edited:
60Hz output is standard for pretty much everything, even a FireTV stick runs at 60Hz... that doesn't mean that the software, video steams etc run at 60fps.

It's like running windows on a 240Hz monitor while playing a 60fps game. The monitor still displays 240 frames per second (edit: unless the game runs in exclusive fullscreen). So I believe he's either really vague, or he didn't understand the question.

Last edited:

Pallas

So we should at least expect exclusive Xbox Series X games And those exclusives optimized for it when they release to be the standard, which is at 60fps, thats how I took that twitter post, since 3rd party developers will do what they need to do and I imagine some if not many would opt for 30fps.
NO WAY 4k 60 fps is being standard at 10 ish teraflops. Unless you want actual graphics to stagnate.

Perhaps not at a variable 10TF’s, but that extra 2 or so TF’s from the series X should give it a bit more headway.

Last edited:

GHG

Here we go with this "output" crap again.

giphy.gif

So we should at least expect exclusive Xbox Series X games And those exclusives optimized for it when they release to be the standard, which is at 60fps, thats how I took that twitter post, since 3rd party developers will do what they need to do and I imagine some if not many would opt for 30fps.
There's another spin you can put on this. Games are first and foremost optimized for Lockhart (a 4TF machine if rumors are true), so Series X should've enough headroom to brute force 60fps in all games, just like a decent PC has pretty much no problems running current games at 60fps.

I believe it when I see it.

Pallas

There's another spin you can put on this. Games are first and foremost optimized for Lockhart (a 4TF machine if rumors are true), so Series X should've enough headroom to brute force 60fps in all games, just like a decent PC has pretty much no problems running current games at 60fps.

I believe it when I see it.

I didn’t add Lockhart into the equation because I’m honestly starting to doubt its existence but that is one way to go about it.

This was directly asked yesterday to the partner director of program management for Xbox:

Microsoft has talked about the framerates Series X will enable. But are you saying the Xbox Series X effectively ends sub 60 frames per second games, either from Xbox itself or from third parties?

Jason Ronald:
I wouldn't say it ends it, but now the creative control is in the developers' hands. Ultimately, we view resolution and framerate as a creative decision. Sometimes, from a pure gameplay aspect, 30 is the right creative decision they can make. But in previous generations, sometimes you had to sacrifice framerate for resolution. With this next generation, now it's completely within the developers' control. And even if you're building a competitive game, or an esports game, or a twitch fighter or first-person shooter, 60 frames is not the ceiling anymore. As we've seen on PC and other ecosystems, ultra high framerates and ultra low latency input, that is the precision they prefer to prioritise. So we've designed the system to put that creative control in developers hands.

It's Aaron Greenberg so I would take what he says with a huge grain of salt.

McCheese

Is this another "display output will always be 60hz" thing? Seeing as it's running cross gen titles they better be 60fps!

Last edited:
That is not true at all.

Devs will choose the framerate and there is already some 30fps announced.

BTW from the same guy.

I was pointing that out to people yesterday, this guy is a marketing geek and he talks out of his ass. Maybe it'll be standard for 1st party but I would think if you want o see game pushing things like ray tracing then 60fps is going to be hard to come by. I know there is a dev working on a PS5 game saying they are doing RT at 4K with 60fps but that game doesn't look like it's pushing the limits plus they haven't even gotten a PS5 dev kit so it could all just be big talk.

Perhaps not at a variable 10TF’s, but that extra 2 or so TF’s from the series X should give it a bit more headway.

Being that a 1.8TF advantage with extra memory only got us a res boost from the Pro to the One X I don't see much more being done with a smaller differential :)

Barakov

Yeah, I have a hard time believe this. The processor is leaps and bounds better than X1 and PS4 but I suspect most open world games will still be 30fps on consoles.

MCplayer

I mean Greenberg says alot without any 100% proof, its kinda obvious some games will hit 30 FPS, Greenberg is always stating something like he was 100%, I don't really like following him to be on par with something...
He's just making xbox promises that eventually will be broken, and then xbox turns into a meme of itself

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
That is not true at all.

Devs will choose the framerate and there is already some 30fps announced.

BTW from the same guy.

Oh man... that's a classic.

It's nice that they at least acknowledge 60 fps is a good goal to have. Hopefully that holds true for 1st party stuff.

I'm going to be on PC with a 3080 Ti and a new 8+ core processor, so I don't give a shit either way. 144hz + or bust!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why does MS give this dumbfuck money?

Give me some god damned money. I'll spin a yarn twice as fast and thrice as long..

Journey

Banned
152c20e2057d363370b282b6d42cfe92.gif

Remember when they said "all XBOX 360 will run at 720p minimum". First game, PGR: 576P

PGR was an exception, not the rule, in fact, the majority of Xbox 360 games ran at 720p and often ran at higher res than PS3, what does that tell you when Sony said PS3 games would be 1080p Full HD? and they tired with games like NBA 07 LMAO, now that is a disgrace, hardly any PS3 game was 1080p, that was a blatant lie from them and their dual HDMI output at 1080p 🤥

Bringing this up after Sony lied about PS3 outputting games at 1080p and having twice the power of 360 makes you look like a blind fanboy

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
PGR was an exception, not the rule, in fact, the majority of Xbox 360 games ran at 720p and often ran at higher res than PS3, what does that tell you when Sony said PS3 games would be 1080p Full HD? and they tired with games like NBA 07 LMAO, now that is a disgrace, hardly any PS3 game was 1080p, that was a blatant lie from them and their dual HDMI output at 1080p 🤥

Bringing this up after Sony lied about PS3 outputting games at 1080p and having twice the power of 360 makes you look like a blind fanboy

Tons of 720p and not-so-720p games on both consoles.

The reason Aaron Greenberg's past claims about graphics are being brought up is because this is a thread about Aaron Greenberg making claims about graphics.

Top Bottom