• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: 60fps will be the standard output for Xbox Series X

Hawk269

Also Aaron Greenberg:

Let's hope he is not pulling the ole, "your TV is 60hz" like most are, routine.

He will never shake that tweet. He made that tweet when MS/Xbox was getting a lot of shit from everyone and rightfully so due to how they were doing things....but it was such a stupid and pointless tweet. That is like saying the Switch games are 4k if you play them on a 4k TV. Yes, technically your 4k TV is displaying it at 4k, but we all know how that works. Aaron seemed to make that comment and think people were stupid.

I don't min Aaron, I think he is a nice guy and loves his job, but at times I wish he would just shut the fuck.

Pallas

Being that a 1.8TF advantage with extra memory only got us a res boost from the Pro to the One X I don't see much more being done with a smaller differential :)

Well it is a variable clock, it’s remain to be seen just how variable it will be but like I mentioned before, most third party developers will target 30FP regardless to push visuals. It’ll be interesting if Series X games can push 60/4K. Not saying they can, just basing it off that tweet from Aaron, that maybe that’s the plan for their first party games is to try and push 60/4K.

Cerny also, if you remember mentioned that 8TF would be enough to do 4K, PS5 approximately 2 TF over that, Series X has 4 over that.

Well I'd like to see them force 3rd parties to do this.

Also didn't they just learn about setting false expectations?

Last edited:
I mean the CPU of last gen console was weak sauce holding back the FPS so with next gen and Zen 2 CPU Cores there is no reason it cannot do 60FPS standard Most of MS first party games already run in 60FPS last gen Xbox 1 like Gears Halo Forza and many more.

Kazza

82a6d0770aeaafbae8f26bf40a822b9b79a5c412.png

NO WAY 4k 60 fps is being standard at 10 ish teraflops. Unless you want actual graphics to stagnate.
At the end of the day it's up to the developers. They'll keep pushing and pushing for better graphics, no matter how many TF you have they'll keep pushing the graphics envelope. There is no "magic" number where you can push the graphics to it's maximum and still keep 60fps. I think they go in with all the intention in the world to create the best looking thing they can. They run it and from there they pull back. So, I don't think there's a TF number thats "it" I think these next gen consoles are powerful enough to get to 4k60 or close to it at a graphical level above what we have now, but will they? who knows, we'll probably still get a lot of 4k30 at greater graphical levels. It's just a lot easier to sell better graphics vs smoother frame rate, especially to the general public.

Last edited:

Journey

Banned
Tons of 720p and not-so-720p games on both consoles.

The reason Aaron Greenberg's past claims about graphics are being brought up is because this is a thread about Aaron Greenberg making claims about graphics.

I didn't bring that up, he did as if MS was being disingenuous about 720p being the standard. What's disingenuous is stating that 1080p would be the standard with PS3 (Boxes of PS3 claimed the console had 2TF OMG lol) when it was in fact worse with lower than 720p resolutions on the regular.

93xfan

Banned
This gen, competition pushed games to 60 FPS, such as on the competitive shooter genre. I think this gen we will see the number of games at 60 FPS increase due to the CPU, but it will never be all games

Stuart360

It sounds like the 'all games output at 1080p' again. I'm sure there will be way more 60fps next gen compared to this gen, especially in the first couple of years with all the cross gen stuff, but by the end of the gen, i still expect the majority of games will of been 30fps over the whole gen.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Maaaan.... I only game 60fps on pc forever - true. I have 4k60hz ips 4k monitor and lock to 58fps to stay in low lag freesync state.
But I don't mind console locking to 30fps and pushing better graphics. Slower games with a controller and good per object motion blur are really fine at 30fps. Like God of War or Death Stranding. Sometimes I just want THE BEST graphics

FranXico

Bringing this up after Sony lied about PS3 outputting games at 1080p and having twice the power of 360 makes you look like a blind fanboy

Anybody can find here the list of 7th gen game resolutions. The 360 hit 720p the vast majority of the time. Oddly enough, the PS3 ended up with a few more 1080p games (not third party, of course) than the 360.

Regardless, both Sony and Microsoft used to bullshit consumers a lot back then.

Jayjayhd34

You guys forget something:

Source: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/xbox-series-x-specs-features-cpu-gpu-ssd-8k-fps-6400
  • 8K resolution support is present, but the "target" for Seriex X games will be 4k at 60fps, up to 120fps.
  • Performance Target4K at 60fps - up to 120fps

It's a target. Exclusive will hit 60fps 4k Raytracing will more difficult as resolution will need to come down even on high end cards control needs go to 1080p to get 60fps. Third party will mostly go for lower fps better graphics.

hyperbertha

I'd be way down with that. If we could keep the level of graphics at the current gen level, but get 4K60FPS for every game on the next consoles, I think that would be awesome.
Understandable. But I think you can understand we could get way better results if games were actually 1080p 60 fps next gen and pushed actual graphics to be better. Of course that won't happen as devs will prioritise 4k for the 4k whores but personally, I'd rather we move towards actual cg quality ingame rather than a resolution bump. Imagine movie quality polycounts, textures, raytracing etc etc. This obsession with resolution only slows down that goal.

CobraXT

Banned
with freesync being the standard text gen i don't mind unlocked 40-50ish fps games .. for me 60 fps is must only for racing games
just give those next gen visuals

Last edited:

GymWolf

if they stick with native 4k60 frame for every big exclusive we can already say almost for sure that sony is gonna have the better looking games throught the gen.
sony is gonna put out a lot of 30 frames games during next gen.

not that i have anything about 60 frames, i play mostly on pc almost solely for that.

oldergamer

Quoting stuff from 7 years ago ? What about that time Sony said pre rendered footage was actual gameplay on PS3? I mean old quotes suck amirite?

quest

Not Banned from OT
if they stick with native 4k60 frame for every big exclusive we can already say almost for sure that sony is gonna have the better looking games throught the gen.
sony is gonna put out a lot of 30 frames games during next gen.

not that i have anything about 60 frames, i play mostly on pc almost solely for that.
As long as phil is in charge I think they will he had been pushing for 60fps for a while and is an advocate for it. It is one of his better initiatives. It might cost them the graphics crown but they will have much more responsive gameplay. I am talking first party games only third party will do what they want "big head" Greenberg says something he will live to regret again.

I'm fairly certain what he meant to say is that 60hz will be the standard output...but that was also true of the Xbox One...
Anyone with a brain knows that plenty of developers, both third party and first (unless Microsoft mandates 60FPS internally) will target 30FPS so that they have twice the rendering budget to play with, just like they always have.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Why not just be honest and say that he expects the average frame-rate for this new generation's titles to be higher than previous ones?

"Standards" mean nothing unless enforced, and there's no way that'll be mandated.

Why not just be honest and say that he expects the average frame-rate for this new generation's titles to be higher than previous ones?

"Standards" mean nothing unless enforced, and there's no way that'll be mandated.

I think he either misspoke or is misguided, in this case. If Ubi says "Here's Valhalla, it looks great but is a 30 fps game" it's not like either MS or Sony will refuse to let the game be played or something like that.

xion4360

he's using the word "output" meaning he's talking about what signal the system is putting out...not what the games are rendering...thats why he said Xbox 360 output always being 1080p (technically true) and series X default outputting 60fps (technically true and with previous gen's as well) with 120 being possible as with one X

he's using specific wording to mislead people here.

Last edited:

Esppiral

This PR people never learn really, they do like to shot themselves in the foot.

Now those words are engraved on the internet forever, I will patiently await until the first 30 fps game for XSX gets reveled and I'll grab some popcorns to see the party.

Top Bottom