• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: 60fps will be the standard output for Xbox Series X

Isn't he the same one who insinuated that watching a 720p upscaled to 1080p is the same as something rendered at native 1080p? So what's he saying now that something upscaled from 30fps in game to 120fps via tv refresh rate is the same as a game natively rendered at higher frame rate?

THEAP99

Banned
Not quite sure how it's going to be standard if an underwhelming cross-generation launch title Assasins Creed is only going to be 30fps.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Isn't he the same one who insinuated that watching a 720p upscaled to 1080p is the same as something rendered at native 1080p? So what's he saying now that something upscaled from 30fps in game to 120fps via tv refresh rate is the same as a game natively rendered at higher frame rate?
Where is he saying that? I think he truly believes that most games will be natively 60fps

The Shepard

I mean the CPU of last gen console was weak sauce holding back the FPS so with next gen and Zen 2 CPU Cores there is no reason it cannot do 60FPS standard Most of MS first party games already run in 60FPS last gen Xbox 1 like Gears Halo Forza and many more.

This is what I'm thinking. The CPU is alot better so 60fps is definitely more likely then this gen. I at least hope shooters and high action games target 60fps.

https://www.neogaf.com/threads/assa...n-xbox-series-x.1540764/page-5#post-258124914
200.gif

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Maybe Ubisoft is going for parity with current gen, to avoid "debates and stuff."

Last edited:

Blond

Banned
Being that a 1.8TF advantage with extra memory only got us a res boost from the Pro to the One X I don't see much more being done with a smaller differential :)

I have a 4k OLED and I can tell you there's a huge noticeable difference when I set games to 1440p/120hz vs 4k/60hz, the sharpness and detail loss/gained isn't anything to scoff at. It might be small this gen but that extra horsepower will help out in more ways than you think. Plus when SSDs, which are getting there, reach the price, read and write speeds, there goes that advantage as well.

Why do they say things like this? It's down to the developer, always has been. Naffs me off these baseless comments.
Yep. Pretty much.

Could have said the console is more than capable of 60FPS but its up to our partners to decide on the final framerate for their games.

I think only MS 1st party will try to hit 60FPS in their games depending on the game type.

Justin9mm

If we can't even get at least (Dynamic)4K at 60 fps then what the fuck are we pushing RT for! If it came down to having one or the other then RT can fuck right off!

#FireGreenberg.

Jason Roland literally just said not even a week ago that it's up to the developers.
You aware that standard does not mean always?
Otherwise it wouldn't be standard.
It would be just that the output with no other options

Reading comprehension on the internet is at an all time low.

Psykodad

Banned

On consoles, it'll most likely 30fps standard with 60fps depending on developer decisions.
Or 2 modes, like X1X and Pro.

I won't expect anything different from both XSX and PS5.

Pretty sure he met 1st party. It’s kind of like that now. Forza gears and halo all ran 60fps ori did as well. I think they want 1st party to keep doing that. I’m ok with it even if graphics take a hit. Very few games are gonna hit 120

Not quite sure how it's going to be standard if an underwhelming cross-generation launch title Assasins Creed is only going to be 30fps.
Because they will always be some games that run at 30 fps. Just like how most Mega Drive games run at 60 but some run at 30Fps . A Standard, is just that.

HarryKS

You're aware that standard or standards are requisites in the entertainment industry and that when you use the term standard, it means that anything that goes below is not accepted by the board?
Platform owners have guidelines, rules and regulations and standards which publishers and developers have to adhere to.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
One day later...

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

So then be specific, Greenberg. They're trying to bullshit people. If there is no mandate, then there is no standard. If there is no standard, then what the hell are you talking about? How hard is it to say 4k/60hz standard for first party titles? What an asshole.

As I said in another thread.

Is it really hard for this man to use phrases like, "our goal is" or "we're shooting for"?

But when you tweet like a used car salesman...

Last edited:
As I said in another thread.

Is it really hard for this man to use phrases like, "our goal is" or "we're shooting for"?

But when you tweet like a used car salesman...
We 'hope' or 'it would be nice to see' or 'shooting for' aren't really strong marketing terms. It makes it look like you don't have any real control or confidence over the outcome. Is there any word on MS first party titles being 30 FPS or less? If so then I could see a real issue. As it stands not so much.

GymWolf

We 'hope' or 'it would be nice to see' or 'shooting for' aren't really strong marketing terms. It makes it look like you don't have any real control or confidence over the outcome. Is there any word on MS first party titles being 30 FPS or less? If so then I could see a real issue. As it stands not so much.
I think that every halo, gears and forza is gonna be 60 frames almost for sure.

Last edited:
Then say, "our first party games".
Did Greenberg specifically mention 3rd party games or was it assumed? He is a MS spokesman right not Ubisoft. How could MS force a 3rd party developer to make a game a certain frame rate? If they can't do you refuse to let the game come out on your platform? We should be realistic. Again when their first party stuff doesn't meet what their marketing person says we have a problem otherwise its nothing to get too bend out of shape over.

Portugeezer

Maybe Ubisoft is going for parity with current gen, to avoid "debates and stuff."

Feels like they'll just crank up Ray tracing to max and call it a day. That's probably the most taxing thing to stop this achieving 60fps.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Did Greenberg specifically mention 3rd party games or was it assumed? He is a MS spokesman right not Ubisoft. How could MS force a 3rd party developer to make a game a certain frame rate? If they can't do you refuse to let the game come out on your platform? We should be realistic. Again when their first party stuff doesn't meet what their marketing person says we have a problem otherwise its nothing to get too bend out of shape over.
giphy.gif

Feels like they'll just crank up Ray tracing to max and call it a day. That's probably the most taxing thing to stop this achieving 60fps.

RT is not mentioned at all for game features.

Last edited:

Starfield

I don't get it. Why do they still let the same idiots who almost destroyed the Xbox brand run PR at Microsoft these days. This Aaron Greenberg contracts himself like 5 times whenever he tweets something. Just shut up lol

Journey

Banned
One day later...

:messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

More and more seems like that way they meant 1080p would be the standard this gen for PS4, yet games that push the envelope could run at 900p. 1080p is still the standard though, correct? Poor wording nonetheless. Like someone said, Greenberg is a relic from the Mattrick era, he needs to be brought up to speed on the messaging lol.

Not a stretch to think its a first party only claim.
I think at this point you are reading his words like scripture... by adding what suits you in the middle of the words that were not in the text in the first place, when it doesn't fit reality, you adapt your interpretation instead of accepting that the guy was wrong to begin with.

Top Bottom