• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: Halo Infinite is the big title launching with Xbox Series X

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
This is like the most common xbox pr answer ive seen around...

Like i said....

This moves does benefit Microsoft Windows but it does not benefit Xbox platform as a whole..

Do you understand this?

If you still cant differentiate the difference then its pointless talking
So speaking factd is PR speak now?? Dude, get a grip..

Your response is vain and reeks of someone in denial. And, might I add, a stinch of entitlement. To you, if others can enjoy the game you like on other platforms, that some how negates your enjoyment of the game. That's about as ass-backwards as you can get right there.

The real money is made through software, my guy. With a game like Halo, you can make more money much longer by offering it on different platforms in addition to a much larger audience. By creating a game that stays on one platform, you leave a considerable amount of money on the table. They make games that make money longer. That's also why there's GP for console, PC and soon, Xcloud.

That's not PR speak broski. It just seems like its over your head.

Gavon West

What part of “extra revenue” did you fail to extrapolate in your brain bowl?
Oh, so you don't make any in game purchases at all, er.......?

Perhaps you'll get Infinite through GP on PC. And maybe after you've beaten it, you find another game on GP that keeps you subbed for another month or two. Brain bowl, indeed...

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Oh, so you don't make any in game purchases at all, er.......?

Perhaps you'll get Infinite through GP on PC. And maybe after you've beaten it, you find another game on GP that keeps you subbed for another month or two. Brain bowl, indeed...

I never spend on MTX, no. Especially for dressing up my doll.

And no, I don’t sub to GamePass. So many assumptions.

I’m old school with my purchasing habits. I buy a game I want to play.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
So speaking factd is PR speak now?? Dude, get a grip..

Your response is vain and reeks of someone in denial. And, might I add, a stinch of entitlement. To you, if others can enjoy the game you like on other platforms, that some how negates your enjoyment of the game. That's about as ass-backwards as you can get right there.

The real money is made through software, my guy. With a game like Halo, you can make more money much longer by offering it on different platforms in addition to a much larger audience. By creating a game that stays on one platform, you leave a considerable amount of money on the table. They make games that make money longer. That's also why there's GP for console, PC and soon, Xcloud.

That's not PR speak broski. It just seems like its over your head.

Now let me ask you this

Youre a Xbox CEO and about to launch a brand new system

Youre selling a new system called the Series X

You need a system seller to advertise your brand new system

If that game can be obtained elsewhere of course people will be less interested in buying your system

What makes your upcoming product so special if it doesnt offer anything unique or different at all?

Do you understand what im saying?

Last edited:

Gavon West

Whateves.... you get the point. DLC isn't the only way to keep gamers spending money though. All I'm saying here..

Blond

Banned
Also I should say I don't mind if you still like it, it's just clear that the changes alienated a chunk of the core audience. It also was the audience that hyped up games ridicul

Yeah that final sentence was one spicy take lol

Gavon West

Enough with the walkie talkie candy yalk

Now let me ask you this

Youre and Xbox CEO and bout to launch a brand new system

If that game can be obtained elsewhere of course people will be less interested in buying your system

HOLY SHIT DUDE!!!! You arent speaking quantum physics or some shit. Your thoughts on this thing isn't hard to understand. Its actually quite basic.

What you're telling me is that the vision of the Xbox platform is too big for you to grasp. You're still stuck on hardware for fucks sake. I'm saying they care more about software and services. That's why their so open to releasing first party games on more than one platform. The Series X is an option for those who want it. Not the end game.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT'RE COMING OUTTA MY MOUF????

Airbus Jr

Banned
HOLY SHIT DUDE!!!! You arent speaking quantum physics or some shit. Your thoughts on this thing isn't hard to understand. Its actually quite basic.

What you're telling me is that the vision of the Xbox platform is too big for you to grasp. You're still stuck on hardware for fucks sake. I'm saying they care more about software and services. That's why their so open to releasing first party games on more than one platform. The Series X is an option for those who want it. Not the end game.

DO YOU UNDERSTAND THE WORDS THAT'RE COMING OUTTA MY MOUF????

Like Joker once said you will never understand

Last edited:

Gavon West

Like Joker said you wil never understand
Foo, you ain't Joker! Lol

You want things how they used to be: where it was all about software sold on one static device under your TV. That's nice and all but, want doesn't get.

What I'm saying is that Xbox is bigger than a console. Its an entire platform to distribute games. They even named the Series X to be more a product under the brand than the brand itself. Trust me. Its not me who's not understanding things here. Its you, my guy. You wanna see what you wanna see instead of what it is.

Last edited:

Codes 208

Like i said....

This moves does benefit Microsoft Windows but it does not benefit Xbox platform as a whole..

Do you understand this?

Well it kinda does actually. If it’s like MCC on steam, you’ll still need an xbox live account.

which of course you wont be paying them for, but it would still place you in their ecosystem which seems to be the point that MS is aiming for.

DanielsM

Banned
I already predict this will be your answer and my rethoric respond also remain the same aswell : no need to buy Xbox Series X for me to play this game

since Micrsoft dont bother with Xbox hardware anymore then il just get it on PC as you suggest

You have figured out the issue. For them to increase services they have to break open the closed environment, the problem with that.... is on PC and other devices nobody is forced to use Microsoft, nor do the publishers, or developers really want an extra middleman for no real purpose let alone Microsoft.

Phil had really no choice but to sell Satya on something - plan is really no plan at all though.... its a talking selling point to Satya.

The closed Xbox as a hardware is the only place where Microsoft can really sell its services, generally speaking yet the goal is to sell it other places. Right now Phil is playing in the middle of the road eventually he is going to get crushed like a grape. Once Satya figures this out, its going to be brutal.

Last edited:

Airbus Jr

Banned
If not maximizing profit was smart, you would have a point.

I already repeat this and im going to repeat this for hundred times for you

This is good for Microsoft Windows but it eliminate the importance and value of Xbox as a videogame console as evidence shown by the clear defeat of Xbox One by PS4 this gen where it lost the advantage of its first party game to PC

This is going be a long batle with some certain people disagreeing with but im ready for it

Last edited:

Gavon West

Um.... you know you can buy games through GP, right? So, like, if you play the game on GPPC, then decide to buy the game (in which is discounted if you buy through GP) that's actually "extra revenue" like a mofo. You get that, right??

Gavon West

I already repeat this and im going to repeat this for hundred times for you

This is good for Microsoft Windows but it eliminate the importance and value of Xbox as a videogame console as evidence shown by the clear defeat of Xbox One by PS4 this gen

This is going be a long batle with some certain people disagreeing with but im ready for it
Ready for it? You already lost. Good morning! Lol.

Have at it broski. Clearly you aren't understanding.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Um.... you know you can buy games through GP, right? So, like, if you play the game on GPPC, then decide to buy the game (in which is discounted if you buy through GP) that's actually "extra revenue" like a mofo. You get that, right??

Why are you quoting me twice? I don’t care. I said what I had to say.

You’re so extra bro, goodness.

Airbus Jr

Banned
Ready for it? You already lost. Good morning! Lol.

Have at it broski. Clearly you aren't understanding.

We get it, youre a diehard Xbox fans or perhaps a Spencer fans specifically

Nothing gona change your mind

Nothing ever will and no one here will change your mind

Everything Phil Spencer said you just follow his decision no matter what

Have a nice day

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned

I don't even feel sorry for the people buying off the MS Store this time, at least with Games for Window Live there was no history.

Actually, kind of confused by extra revenue, if you did buy GP for $1, than you get a discount which would be a loss of revenue vs. someone just buying it off the Store. Of course, I am assuming there are people stupid enough to buy games off the MS Store. Furthermore, Microsoft doesn't release any of this type of data, and I serious doubt they ever release any in depth data with the MS Store.... its a fucking disaster.

I see nothing inherently wrong with Game Pass as a small rental revenue stream - good luck as the primary way of funding game development over the long term. Its just a rental service, for it to be primary way to fund future game development... it has to cost more than what it cost today... not less.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

SantaC

Cmon guys, all it takes is one great Halo game, and all will be smooth sailing for Microsoft. I’m going to conveniently ignore the clear evidence that 343 doesn’t understand Halo. It’s like Bungie was The Mummy and 343 is The Scorpion King. Scorpion King is still a fun movie, but it’s clearly the not the same quality, and it’s not just about financial investment, games have to have heart and connect with players mang.
Console shooter market is a bit more saturated now then it was back in 2001.

It is harder to impress year 2020 and I doubt it will be a killerapp.

MDSLKTR

what the fuck?
Seriously. Halo is the most iconic sci-fi franchise out there. Kids these days know the masterchief and the theme song without having ever played a single game in the franchise, just look up its presence in social media or educational videos for kids on youtube. Infinite needs to blow the doors wide open and reach halo 2/3 marketing levels of hysteria.

Lets see if 343 can finally deliver a Halo game that lives up to what fans expect from the series, fourth times the charm right? If they don't fix the shitty gameplay from Halo 5 I'm gonna be pissed.

Klayzer

We get it, youre a diehard Xbox fans or perhaps a Spencer fans specifically

Nothing gona change your mind

Nothing ever will and no one here will change your mind

Everything Phil Spencer said you just follow his decision no matter what

Have a nice day
What I don't get is, Microsoft has all those advantages right now this gen, and it hasn't moved the needle. The hubris and conviction that Xbox is poised to takeover nextgen is too much. Am I missing something? Is Nintendo and Sony gonna roll over while Microsoft makes moves? If you read some of the posts here, you would swear only Microsoft will be debuting new services/games nextgen.

LordOfChaos

The things this trailer, the Forerunner trilogy of books, and Hunt the Truth were hinting at, were all more interesting than what Halo 5 ended up being. I love Halo lore, I'm hopeful this is the one that gets into the good stuff, but I don't think my interest would survive another ho-hum story.

kyoji

Bruh, you're still under the assumption Xbox is like Sony -- the end goal is to sell more hardware. They want to sell hardware but clearly they care more about selling software and services. They don't care where you play your games. Xcloud will be a huge endorser of this strategy next gen. Hardware is an option for Microsoft. With Sony they depend on hardware sales as much as software.
you keep making statements like this... like this was all apart of microsofts grand scheme. Of course they shifted strategys seeing as if sony and nintendo both have been bulldogging them since they entered the console space. Im calling it now, next gen MS will become the next sega, except sega actually has better software IP. and they do a hell of a lot less talking.

GHG

Lmao who the fuck buys third party PC games through the windows store? Nevermind the fact that the discount gamepass gives you is pitiful by PC standards.

As an example, I tried Gris out via gamepass yesterday and then halted my play through to buy it on Steam (it's currently 50% off there) and start over. I completed the game today, loved every second of it. No extra revenue for Microsoft, zilch, nada. I pretty much treat it like a demo subscription service. If I like the game I will buy it elsewhere at some point, I like permanence on my library. I am also happy to directly support developers/publishers who make stuff I like.

Never in my life would I buy a third party PC game on that store. Over my dead body.

Also this whole "Microsoft still get your money" shit you're doing... Why? You don't get a cut so why do you care? Your primary concern should be whether what they do benefits you and whether you are happy with their strategy going forwards.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
What I don't get is, Microsoft has all those advantages right now this gen, and it hasn't moved the needle. The hubris and conviction that Xbox is poised to takeover nextgen is too much. Am I missing something? Is Nintendo and Sony gonna roll over while Microsoft makes moves? If you read some of the posts here, you would swear only Microsoft will be debuting new services/games nextgen.
Microsoft has constantly given reason for the Xbox as a Hardware (and probably their services/platform service users as well Game for Windows Live and MS Store users) user to leave over the last 10 years or so, their current business model or implied business model and to a degree Phil not making much sense to anyone but himself... even more reasons to start to move.

For them to expand services they have to dump to a degree the closed ecosystem, of course, the problem is.... most developers/publishers/users really don't want to deal with MS outside of the some of the remaining Xbox as a Hardware users.

Just my take. The show goes on until Satya figures out what was sold to him was a big pile of bullshit.

The gaming world (publishers, developers, and users) have little need or desire for Microsoft to be involved other than if they can sell Xbox as a Hardware and only if numbers are enough to justify deployment, however, Microsoft (Satya) only really cares about "service" expansion, which mean the closed environment has to basically be broken down or out.

At this point, Phil is moving Microsoft into a more traditional publisher role i.e. sell games, however Satya is probably not going to be happy as he was sold "service" revenue, and the numbers are going to be drastically smaller than if Microsoft is the service platform provider.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
While Halo 4 and 5 did not hold my interest for very long, I'm still very interested in seeing what a next Halo would look and play like. I buy all the Halos though. Whether it's great or not is left to be seen. I'm willing to give 343 this last chance.

343 Industries has at best a mixed track record with their Halo games and considering the problems with the MCC there is little reason to trust them with anything. Add to that the fact that Bonnie Ross has come across like a spine-less corporate Microsoft robot on stage I'd say this thing is doomed.

20 years on, launching with the same key franchise...

I can understand their reasoning but it strikes me as self-limiting. Halo was always a big deal in the NA market and a few others, but its never gained much traction in many, many more.

I also think that Halo's success historically has largely been about the type of game it is, as opposed to any signature creative element. This was great particularly around 2005-ish when online shooters were the new hotness on console, but since then the market has shifted considerably.

Point being, I think it'll do well for MS, but not that well.
Lol kind of like Mario and Zelda. What will Microsoft do?! People always criticize halo and gears, but never say the same about call of duty, final fantasy, or any of Nintendo's 1st party games. God of War making a comeback is clear proof it only takes one good game to turn a franchise around. It's also deliberately ignoring the fact that Microsoft does put out other games. Ryse Son of Rome, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct and Zoo Tycoon were the launch games for the Xbox one and not gears of War, Forza or halo. In the first few years of Xbox one we also got Titanfall, Ori and the blind Forest, and sunset Overdrive. but people ignore those because they won't touch Xbox games and are more comfortable promulgating stupid narratives because they obviously don't know any better. "But but halo gears Forza derp!"

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
If it doesn't happen you got to get over Halo as a launch title, I'm looking at 4+ Halo titles next gen for Microsoft if they want to compete with SONY.

Now let me ask you this

What makes your upcoming product so special if it doesnt offer anything unique or different at all?

Gee, it's as if I already explained it and you completely ignored the answer.

587004965550293029.png

It's not that you can't talk about it, it's upon further scrutiny you realize what you've said in retrospect is not accurate and you don't want to talk about it.

They are confident in releasing a brand new platform on the back of openly offering their biggest title on a past and other concurrent platform they offer. That's a bold move, they could lock it down to Series X and guarantee a metric ton of front loaded sales, instead they are choosing to take a risk by releasing multilaterally with the confidence that people will still evaluate and buy their platform given what it offers in not only performance but also cost.

It's the most defining and risky but effectively convincing way a new platform could be driven.

• "Here is our old platform, this is the disappointing result we were able to accomplish with it and this title."

• "Here is PC and the amazing results we were able to accomplish with it and this title."

• "Here is our new platform and the amazing results we were able to accomplish with it and this title at a fraction of the cost of PC."

It's pretty simple really, the One X/S will contrast with the Series X on rendering results, and the PC will contrast with the Series X on cost requirements.

DanielsM

Banned
If it doesn't happen you got to get over Halo as a launch title, I'm looking at 4+ Halo titles next gen for Microsoft if they want to compete with SONY.

Their competition is more akin to other major publishers at this point. The users are not coming to them, they have to go to the users.... just like they did on every other device (phones, tables, watches, voice assistant devices, etc.), generally speaking.

A Destiny clone has almost no chance of even breaking even just launching on the Xbox and MS Store. Destiny for instance was probably a money loser for Activision and it released on everything that was walking pretty much walking. If they are doing a Destiny clone (or similar).

Seriously doubt you see 4 major Halo titles in 4-6 years, you'll be lucky to get 2, and that is if it doesn't end in disaster. Destiny was suppose to have all kinds of more releases and one more major release already released and Destiny 4 in 2022.

Not sure what that has to do with Sony either way.

Last edited:
Now let me ask you this

You don't understand what microsoft is doing. The are diversifying their portfolio of potential markets by:

1. Offering a traditional game console that is backwards compatible with ALL Xbox titles.

2. PC integration with game share.

3. Xbox Game Pass subscription model with all Xbox titles included

4. Launching Xbox xCloud for the upcoming streaming market

Microsoft has been extremely consumer friendly latently this is nothing by a good thing for gamers and business

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
You don't understand what microsoft is doing. The are diversifying their portfolio of potential markets by:

1. Offering a traditional game console that is backwards compatible with ALL Xbox titles.

2. PC integration with game share.

3. Xbox Game Pass subscription model with all Xbox titles included

4. Launching Xbox xCloud for the upcoming streaming market

Microsoft has been extremely consumer friendly latently this is nothing by a good thing for gamers and business

Actually he does understand what they are doing, he's saying it will hurt hardware sales.

Max_Po

Banned
Let's not forget...the death of Halo was not due to a bad game...it was due to COD....

No one is dropping "doody" to go back to Halo....

MoreJRPG

Suffers from extreme PDS

Like i said....

Do you understand this?

Buying the game on PC benefits Xbox.....because it’s an Xbox Game Studios game which is owned by Xbox. Hard to wrap your head around, I know.

I knew the PS Brigade was a special bunch but these hot takes really take the cake. Zero critical thinking. Whether you buy an Xbox or buy Gamepass on PC or buy the game on PC it’s literally the exact same thing to Microsoft. They stay winning regardless, even if Sony is winning they’re winning because Playstations entire online is now supported by Azure which is owned by Microsoft.

DanielsM

Banned
Buying the game on PC benefits Xbox.....because it’s an Xbox Game Studios game which is owned by Xbox. Hard to wrap your head around, I know.

I knew the PS Brigade was a special bunch but these hot takes really take the cake. Zero critical thinking. Whether you buy an Xbox or buy Gamepass on PC or buy the game on PC it’s literally the exact same thing to Microsoft. They stay winning regardless, even if Sony is winning they’re winning because Playstations entire online is now supported by Azure which is owned by Microsoft.

Yeah but people don't buy games on the Microsoft Store. If they put the game on Steam, people may elect to buy games or not buy games, but that than means less people will be interested in dedicated console equipment. The only thing that Game Pass can offer is to a closed eco-system i.e. Xbox as a Hardware. At that point the large publishers ditch the Xbox as a Hardware as there is no reason to release on it i.e. numbers.

This is a zero sum game.

If they want to provide "services", they have to provide those "services" on other platforms, if they do that... they in turn continue to kill their own close hardware. The problem is the "services" are not wanted or needed on other platforms.

You’re still supporting Microsoft by buying PlayStation Plus and PS Now genius. All their cloud and streaming storage is with Azure

No its not, even if it was so what? All the large tech companies have contracts for services of some sort. Sony clearly said they only have an understanding to work on tech with microsoft, and that actually goes both ways.

Last edited:
Actually he does understand what they are doing, he's saying it will hurt hardware sales.
He is looking at it from a business perspective no? What is less hardware sales when Microsoft also has Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Titles on PC and their own Streaming service? Let’s also be real Halo dose not pull in the numbers it use to since Halo Reach. You guys act as if sole consoles sold is the only thing that matters in an ever evolving technology industry. For Microsoft Xbox is not just a console now it’s becoming a service across different platforms

No offense but you sound more like a dinosaur living in a whole different era. Hardware sales alone aren't the end game. Things have changed considerably since the days of old. It sounds like gaming has grown beyond you. What you're looking for in gaming theses days, doesn't exist anymore. And never will again. Those days are gone.

Funny things change when a company loses almost half their audience in a course of a generation. You would be parroting a different form of PR if MS sailing through a 100m Xbox One units.

He is looking at it from a business perspective no? What is less hardware sales when Microsoft also has Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Titles on PC and their own Streaming service? Let’s also be real Halo dose not pull in the numbers it use to since Halo Reach. You guys act as if sole consoles sold is the only thing that matters in an ever evolving technology industry. For Microsoft Xbox is not just a console now it’s becoming a service across different platforms

Do you know how silly this sounds? Newsflash, xbox live doesn't work on Steam or any other platform other than xbox (aka collecting free money for online multiplayer) EA is not giving charity money if someone decides to play FIFA on EA Origin instead on an Xbox console (aka losing on 30% third party cut)

Consoles started to matter less to MS simply because they lost half their userbase. They have no choice but to chase other forms of revenue....and it is smart. Unless Sony royally fucks up, MS pretty much capped out in terms of install base for next generation. But to delude yourself into thinking this is some form of "ever evolving technology industry" is hilarious.

Fact. MS makes money on EVERYTHING sold on an Xbox console(first/third party games, dlc, avatars, etc). That's their ecosystem. They make LESS everywhere else.

Last edited:

Pallas

Do you know how silly this sounds? Newsflash, xbox live doesn't work on Steam or any other platform other than xbox (aka collecting free money for online multiplayer) EA is not giving charity money if someone decides to play FIFA on EA Origin instead on an Xbox console (aka losing on 30% third party cut)

Consoles started to matter less to MS simply because they lost half their userbase. They have no choice but to chase other forms of revenue....and it is smart. Unless Sony royally fucks up, MS pretty much capped out in terms of install base for next generation. But to delude yourself into thinking this is some form of "ever evolving technology industry" is hilarious.

Fact. MS makes money on EVERYTHING sold on an Xbox console(first/third party games, dlc, avatars, etc). That's their ecosystem. They make LESS everywhere else.

That’s another reason why they probably made Gamepass available on PC and first party exclusives so that they can make money off of PC.

From the looks of it and rumors(if they are to be believed)Sony is heading for a similar path.

Top Bottom