• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: Halo Infinite is the big title launching with Xbox Series X

That’s another reason why they probably made Gamepass available on PC and first party exclusives so that they can make money off of PC.

Agreed...because they don't have much of a choice. The console space for them is stagnant...might as well make additional money elsewhere. But the gist is that they'll always make less everywhere else but an Xbox console.

From the looks of it and rumors(if they are to be believed)Sony is heading for a similar path.

Agreed, and you can check the console sale figures to see why it is unconfirmed rumor for Sony based on one title only while MS will be offering all of their first party lineup on multiple PC storefronts day one (plus gamepass).

Last edited:
Do you know how silly this sounds? Newsflash, xbox live doesn't work on Steam or any other platform other than xbox (aka collecting free money for online multiplayer) EA is not giving charity money if someone decides to play FIFA on EA Origin instead on an Xbox console (aka losing on 30% third party cut)

Consoles started to matter less to MS simply because they lost half their userbase. They have no choice but to chase other forms of revenue....and it is smart. Unless Sony royally fucks up, MS pretty much capped out in terms of install base for next generation. But to delude yourself into thinking this is some form of "ever evolving technology industry" is hilarious.

Fact. MS makes money on EVERYTHING sold on an Xbox console(first/third party games, dlc, avatars, etc). That's their ecosystem. They make LESS everywhere else.
No Microsoft is looking to the future to adapt, and honestly Sony is doing the same thing minus the game pass and PC. News flash Microsoft still makes money on the games they own plus opening their software to more platforms opens up new markets and customers.

Kokoloko85

I have a feeling MS will come strong with launch lineup. Forza, Halo. A new Fable. Killer Instinct. New games from there new studios. A couple 3rd party exclusives and time exclusives plus some surprise Japanese developer games. All still available on the PC of course ;p

Playstation normally has soft launches, PS2 was bad when I imported the Japanese console...good old feelings n days lol
PS3 wasnt great and PS4 had alot of delays, Second Son, DriveClub, Destiny. The first year and half was slow...

Reactions: Isa

nikolino840

I have a feeling MS will come strong with launch lineup. Forza, Halo. A new Fable. Killer Instinct. New games from there new studios. A couple 3rd party exclusives and time exclusives plus some surprise Japanese developer games. All still available on the PC of course ;p

Playstation normally has soft launches, PS2 was bad when I imported the Japanese console...good old feelings n days lol
PS3 wasnt great and PS4 had alot of delays, Second Son, DriveClub, Destiny. The first year and half was slow...
I don't think..the new entries Xbox studios are still working on the multiplatform games ...

Well...games in projects yes a lot..but not in the First year...and thats Is becouse of the crossgen titles

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You’re still supporting Microsoft by buying PlayStation Plus and PS Now genius. All their cloud and streaming storage is with Azure 😂😂😂

Oh noes! Lawd have mercy, what I’sa gonna dooooooo!

You act like I fucking care. My comment was about me saving money not having to pay an additional subscription revenue costs, genius.

Last edited:
Reactions: GHG

Cutty Flam

Banned
If it's called Halo Infinite, it better live up to its name. I want to believe Halo is back, but if it's still 343i controlling the creative aspect of the game, then I still hold my suspicions of it not living up to the legendary first three Halo games

Kagey K

Banned
As long as the Arena MP stays great and the Campaign is solid I‘m sold.

Multiplayer is Halos bread and butter, come for the campaign stay for the arena.

Everything else is just fluff to me.

This is the longest Halo has gone ”on break” since the IP came out and I’m hoping the time was worth it.

All the who’s selling what where, and MS ditching their users talk doesn’t belong in this thread. (IMO)

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Lots of Halo haters round these parts.

Halo is still the best skill based FPS on the market. I played them all and nothing comes close. Sony and Nintendo, hell even PC, have no competition for it. The MCC in its updated state on XB1 is absolutely amazing and will be played and populated for years and years. The games are timeless. The PC should get the full version of MCC by the end of the year.

Its been a 6 year wait between Halo 5 and Infinity in 2020. Halo's new iteration has been long past due. H4+5 were good in spots and bad in others - im hopeful Infinite will bring it all together. We dont know much but splitscreen returning is a huge first step. As a Halo fan, im pretty damn exicited its launching with the new console.

With the MCC being rolled out on PC, the Showtime Halo show in production, and Infinite - 2020 is shaping up to be the biggest year in Halo history - even nearly 20 years since its debut.
From what I've read of the Showtime Halo show it sounds like complete ass.

Also one could also probably compare Bungie Halo to Lucas Star Wars and 343 Halo to Disney Star Wars.

Last edited:

EDMIX

This is the longest Halo has gone ”on break” since the IP came out and I’m hoping the time was worth it.

I don't think any time they put off will get returning fans like myself. We've just moved on. MS biggest issue is they made Halo a hill to die on, they should have NEVER done that to that IP, they kept making it seem as if they had only 2 damn IPs aka Gears and Halo. Oh Uncharted is coming out, Gears and Halo. Oh Killzone is coming out, Gears and Halo. Oh look Days Gone, Gears and Halo. Oh whats this The Last Of Us thing? Oh well Gears and Halo, Horizon Zero Dawn? How about Gears and Halo. Yet when the IP starts to fail and they lose massive units with XONE, they act shocked.

They should have just let Bungie do a damn new IP which would have been Destiny and let 343 (if they even would have existed btw) do a new IP and only return to Halo when they feel its ready, not this massive pimping of the IP that only resulted in people thinking XB was HALO BOX and the only way to buy a XB is to like Halo.

They made that bed to sleep on, they made that hill to die on. Had they left Halo for a new IP last gen, people would just remember Halo 3 or Reach, how they have ODST, Halo 4, 5 etc

They got waaaaay too greedy with this IP and its now made the company look like a 2 AAA IP publisher where you either need to like Gears or Halo to pick up their system. They should have treated the IP with more respect and let Bungie take the time off and focus on Destiny. Not only would Destiny have sold MS huge units, it would have welcomed in new consumers who might end up playing Gears and Halo down the line anyway. So I think its time they actually, REALLY spend money on more AAA IPs outside of Gears and Halo combo, so that way Halo isn't always the go to, best of the best thing they put out.

Cutty Flam Cutty Flam nah those days are over. Thats like me hoping we can get them good Call of Duty days back with the originally Infinity ward team now ReSpawn lol

Last edited:

Cutty Flam

Banned
I can only hope, EDMIX, that they put their all into this Halo and it becomes the legend of old

I have plenty of stories, but I think you and I both can nod to this in agreement: that Halo 1-3 was something special, and I'm not sure even the greatest effort could amount to anything quite like them. Hopefully something spectacular is in the works, I would love for Halo to be "back" and in full swing. And if I can feel that same feeling, I'll let the people know. Because to me, Halo 2 was something life changing; that kind of experience. And I am deeply grateful for Halo 3. Halo 3 was a beautifully crafted game and it was too, an extraordinary online experience

Gavon West

Spread's Cheeks for Intrusive Ads
Do you know how silly this sounds? Newsflash, xbox live doesn't work on Steam or any other platform other than xbox (aka collecting free money for online multiplayer) EA is not giving charity money if someone decides to play FIFA on EA Origin instead on an Xbox console (aka losing on 30% third party cut)

Consoles started to matter less to MS simply because they lost half their userbase. They have no choice but to chase other forms of revenue....and it is smart. Unless Sony royally fucks up, MS pretty much capped out in terms of install base for next generation. But to delude yourself into thinking this is some form of "ever evolving technology industry" is hilarious.

Fact. MS makes money on EVERYTHING sold on an Xbox console(first/third party games, dlc, avatars, etc). That's their ecosystem. They make LESS everywhere else.
This post is so wrong on so many points I scarcely know where to begin. Jesus Christ....

Now let me ask you this

Youre a Xbox CEO and about to launch a brand new system

Youre selling a new system called the Series X

You need a system seller to advertise your brand new system

If that game can be obtained elsewhere of course people will be less interested in buying your system

What makes your upcoming product so special if it doesnt offer anything unique or different at all?

Do you understand what im saying?

You do realize Phil spencer said multiple times that they do NOT care if you buy their shiny new box or not? They do not care for hardware sales, instead they care if you get their services and software because that's their new model and that's where most $$$ will be made. You can go play Halo Infinite on your android phone through xCloud for all they care.

Halo Hype for 36 months non stop from every urinalist and Xqueen

Game comes out, Xbox PR praises most players ever for Halo and Xbox game

12 hrs after release, no one cares, basically like 99% of players

Did i leave anything out?

Just as a factzoid, if MS were not giving away games basically for free at this time, half their studios would be closed due to lack of sales. That not an estimate, just fact.

nikolino840

If it's called Halo Infinite, it better live up to its name. I want to believe Halo is back, but if it's still 343i controlling the creative aspect of the game, then I still hold my suspicions of it not living up to the legendary first three Halo games
They have fired Tim Longo for a reason maybe...

Just as a factzoid, if MS were not giving away games basically for free at this time, half their studios would be closed due to lack of sales. That not an estimate, just fact.
You're not going to make it long round these parts.

Gavon West

No. Unfortunately your post isn't even fact, not by a country mile. its rookie level arm chair marketing PR guesswork on an entire ecosystem in which you clearly have no knowledge about aside from getting in yo feelings and embarrassing yourself. But hey, do you...

Last edited:

Gavon West

Double post. My bad.

Last edited:

Gavon West

What I don't get is, Microsoft has all those advantages right now this gen, and it hasn't moved the needle. The hubris and conviction that Xbox is poised to takeover nextgen is too much. Am I missing something? Is Nintendo and Sony gonna roll over while Microsoft makes moves? If you read some of the posts here, you would swear only Microsoft will be debuting new services/games nextgen.
Microsoft isnt going to roll over Sony or Nintendo. Not likely. But you cant ignore that a bunch next gen stuff that will be taking front and center with Series X and PS5 (game streaming, full legacy BC, GP, Crossplay etc..) comes from Microsoft literally reshaping the gaming landscape from second place the last couple of years.

Gavon West

Agreed...because they don't have much of a choice. The console space for them is stagnant...might as well make additional money elsewhere. But the gist is that they'll always make less everywhere else but an Xbox console.

Agreed, and you can check the console sale figures to see why it is unconfirmed rumor for Sony based on one title only while MS will be offering all of their first party lineup on multiple PC storefronts day one (plus gamepass).
There's nothing "unconfirmed for Sony based on one title". Thats exactly what their doing. Its more than one game - WTF?? Its in the beginning stages as Sony seems to be testing the waters with going multi plat with PC, but they are indeed bringing first party games to PC. Hell, the MLB was a Sony exclusive for years and now it's going full multi plat. Xbox even gets a copy!

The console space is anything but stagnant for Xbox, bruh. WITAF?? Xbox has evolved beyond just a console. It's literally an ecosystem that gamers on multiple devices can access from damn near anywhere - moving onto smart phones, tablets etc with Xcloud. The base console is merely one of a few entry points now versus being the only point of entry.

Is it just me or does it seem like some of you are being willfully dense AF? Either that, or you guys are stuck in 2012 and have been sleeping in a time capsule. I get the experience of waking up in a different world may be a bit of a shocker, but how long does this adjustment period take for fuck sakes??? Put a clock on it for me!

No. Unfortunately your post isn't even fact, not by a country mile. its rookie level arm chair marketing PR guesswork on an entire ecosystem in which you clearly have no knowledge about aside from getting in yo feelings and embarrassing yourself. But hey, do you...

Its not rocket science but any means, just basic business. A AAA game has to sell 5 million at 60$ just to break even. Outside FH, yawn another racing game, they dont have anything coming close to that #. Lights out but you are good to praise mediocrity, because thats what MS stands for, Mediocrity Studios

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Lol kind of like Mario and Zelda. What will Microsoft do?! People always criticize halo and gears, but never say the same about call of duty, final fantasy, or any of Nintendo's 1st party games. God of War making a comeback is clear proof it only takes one good game to turn a franchise around. It's also deliberately ignoring the fact that Microsoft does put out other games. Ryse Son of Rome, Dead Rising 3, Killer Instinct and Zoo Tycoon were the launch games for the Xbox one and not gears of War, Forza or halo. In the first few years of Xbox one we also got Titanfall, Ori and the blind Forest, and sunset Overdrive. but people ignore those because they won't touch Xbox games and are more comfortable promulgating stupid narratives because they obviously don't know any better. "But but halo gears Forza derp!"

Halo isn't Mario or Zelda, and it isn't CoD either. Its a franchise that's been on a downswing for over a decade starring a faceless, characterless suit of armor.

Say what you want about Master chief being an iconic piece of visual design, but as a franchisable character...
not so much.

The point I was making was about global appeal. Halo was the right game at the right time, which was how it almost single-handedly kept the OG Xbox afloat. Similarly it meshed perfectly with the Online-focus of the 360 at a time when FPS were satutrating the market. However, that's all quite some time ago and the market has changed substantially since then.

And no, you cannot cite God Of War 2018 in the same category given how different in style and presentation it was in comparison to its previous franchise entries, its new-found character focus and emotional core, and the fact that its a pure single-player title. Not an entry into the multi-platform bearpit that is the FPS genre.

Last edited:

DanielsM

Banned
He is looking at it from a business perspective no? What is less hardware sales when Microsoft also has Xbox Game Pass, Xbox Titles on PC and their own Streaming service? Let’s also be real Halo dose not pull in the numbers it use to since Halo Reach. You guys act as if sole consoles sold is the only thing that matters in an ever evolving technology industry. For Microsoft Xbox is not just a console now it’s becoming a service across different platforms

1. Xbox Game Pass relies on sales of Xbox as a Hardware.
2. Xbox Titles on PC, well, nobody buys from the MS Store... so... either they become a traditional publisher or they have no outlet to sell i.e. sell on Steam and other digital distrubtion channels i.e. other devices.
3. Streaming services... don't make money and is a money loser.

You guys act as if sole consoles sold is the only thing that matters in an ever evolving technology industry. For Microsoft Xbox is not just a console now it’s becoming a service across different platforms

Actually very true, lots of gaming companies make money by not making hardware... the problem is Microsoft is making hardware.

Not sure how you are addressing anything I have said.

For Microsoft Xbox is not just a console now it’s becoming a service across different platforms

Duh, thats what they wish but they really aren't selling the services on other platforms. Its almost like you guys are agreeing with him and than come to come crazy conclusion.

You are right, Phil sold Satya on services on other platforms, yet they don't exist, generally speaking.... the reason is simple... nobody needs them to be a middleman in such of an environment and at the same time destroys their closed system.

If they want to sell games, they can do that... just not really any opportunity to be a middleman... which is why developers/publishers/users avoid anything but Xbox as a Hardware.

The guy is right.

Last edited:
I already repeat this and im going to repeat this for hundred times for you

This is good for Microsoft Windows but it eliminate the importance and value of Xbox as a videogame console as evidence shown by the clear defeat of Xbox One by PS4 this gen where it lost the advantage of its first party game to PC

This is going be a long batle with some certain people disagreeing with but im ready for it

Nonsense. Xbox lost because of ridiculous reveal, more expensive for weaker hardware and less 1st party exclusives. Not because their games are on PC. MS knows very well that 95% of console gamers will NEVER be PC gamers. I don't care what anybody says or happens I will never be a PC gamer and that's the same for almost every console gamer I know.

It's not because people on a forum like this care about graphics cards, CPU's, like tinkering for hours in settings menus and updating drivers that everybody is okay with that. Actually I think it's freaking yuck but to each his own.

You do realize Phil spencer said multiple times that they do NOT care if you buy their shiny new box or not? They do not care for hardware sales, instead they care if you get their services and software because that's their new model and that's where most $$$ will be made. You can go play Halo Infinite on your android phone through xCloud for all they care.

LOL I seriously don't understand how people still don't get this. MS just want you to buy their game, whether it's on a Nokia 3310 or a Series X, they don't give a crap about what plastic device you prefer to send them cash from.

SleepDoctor

Banned
Im sorry but its not much of a "big" title when it has to support xbox one s.

I hope im wrong but i doubt it. Just look at 4, 5, and mcc.

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member

giphy.gif

HelpYouFall

There's not much going on as far as skill based arena shooters goes on consoles. Especially since it seems DOOM Eternal isn't really going all in on MP.
If 343 Industries plays their cards right (big if though), there's a market there. The universe and history is rich enough as well to make for another compelling game.

I don't think the series will ever see the hype again as during the Halo 3 days, but I wouldn't sleep on Halo Infinite either.
Very interesting to see how this plays out.

D

Deleted member 774430

Unconfirmed Member
I can see Xbox trying to replicate what essentially Nintendo did with Breath of the Wild at the launch of the Switch (essentially people buying a console only for that one big game).

To me it could work but Microsoft needs the same giant blow out at this year E3, with an amazing public demo, giving some freedom to the player, and perhaps the Microsoft theather all dedicated to Halo.

RAIDEN1

Well its obvious that it will be the Series X -killer app, if you don't have one near enough immediately then that can cause problems, just look at the Saturn as an example...

Starfield

Lots of Halo haters round these parts.

Halo is still the best skill based FPS on the market. I played them all and nothing comes close. Sony and Nintendo, hell even PC, have no competition for it. The MCC in its updated state on XB1 is absolutely amazing and will be played and populated for years and years. The games are timeless. The PC should get the full version of MCC by the end of the year.

Its been a 6 year wait between Halo 5 and Infinity in 2020. Halo's new iteration has been long past due. H4+5 were good in spots and bad in others - im hopeful Infinite will bring it all together. We dont know much but splitscreen returning is a huge first step. As a Halo fan, im pretty damn exicited its launching with the new console.

With the MCC being rolled out on PC, the Showtime Halo show in production, and Infinite - 2020 is shaping up to be the biggest year in Halo history - even nearly 20 years since its debut.
I stopped reading at "Halo is still the best skill based fps on the market"...yeah sure, maybe on Xbox lmao

I stopped reading at "Halo is still the best skill based fps on the market"...yeah sure, maybe on Xbox lmao

It's the best console shooter and always has been. From a comp perspective nothing comes close. Cod is only doing better because 343 and bungie killed the scene with H4 and Reach being shit in vanilla settings.

Halo infinite with a focus on PC could garner a big comp scene on PC too. I can't wait and if the rumours of the comp stuff being more back to basics are true - this could be amazing.

Starfield

It's the best console shooter and always has been. From a comp perspective nothing comes close. Cod is only doing better because 343 and bungie killed the scene with H4 and Reach being shit in vanilla settings.

Halo infinite with a focus on PC could garner a big comp scene on PC too. I can't wait and if the rumours of the comp stuff being more back to basics are true - this could be amazing.
That may be true, but to say it is the BEST competitive shooter? Not in a mile. Counter Strike would have a word with you

HelpYouFall

Can you say exactly why that is such a ridiculous claim? Even Halo 5 had very solid mechanics, weapon balance and overall map design (it's up for debate if the new added spartan abilities were a plus or not, sure). The higher time to kill, very specific weapon classes when it comes to utility and overall emphasis on dominating weapon spawns and rotations makes Halo very competitive and imo very relevant to be described as a top tier skill based shooter. When going against a good team in Halo you can be absolutely annihilated and embarassed as a team, it can look downright ugly. That's a good reference for a skill based shooter.

I wouldn't call it the best for sure. But it's up there in high level play, ESPECIALLY for a console shooter. On console it has no equal.

Last edited:
This game will suck, I'll resurrect this thread in a year and we can all share a laugh together. 343i has never made a good game, ever. They make bad games, actually. Halo is a joke now. I was one of the biggest fans ever for Halo, and 343i just can't make a good game. Not even AAA, I'm talking just an average mediocre FPS game. They are literally the worst "AAA" dev of all time, and I look forward to watching this game crash and burn because Halo is dumpster fire quality nowadays. It's almost comical they are putting so much stock in a dev that is such a joke. We don't even have gameplay yet, LMAO!!!! If you remember Halo glory days, we had gameplay years out, because Bungie was a solid dev that made a playable AAA game that we expected time and time again, and worked to polish their games way before launch.

343i, I'm not even going to say good luck, you're truly awful

DanielsM

Banned

COD4 MW changed the landscape back in 2007 when it release about 5 weeks after H3. Your timing is way off, although H3 sold well, everyone basically went to COD in mass.

Not sure about the PC thing unless they plan on going to Steam.

HelpYouFall

Your timing is way off, although H3 sold well, everyone basically went to COD in mass.

Nonsense. You are right in saying COD4 took the lead in the online shooter genre obviously, but H3 had an incredibly populated player base that a lot of modern day publishers would kill for months to a year after release.

It also didn't just sell well. It was the biggest entertainment release up to that date ever. Even eclipsing movie releases like Titanic and such. It was absolute insanity. It was a generational pop culture event.

Not that the franchise has ever been able to reproduce that lightning in a bottle moment ever again, mind you.

But the impact of Halo anno 2007 on online shooters and modern gaming in general seems to be underrated the last couple of years because of the releases that followed it, but that's a false narrative.

This game will suck, I'll resurrect this thread in a year and we can all share a laugh together. 343i has never made a good game, ever. They make bad games, actually. Halo is a joke now. I was one of the biggest fans ever for Halo, and 343i just can't make a good game. Not even AAA, I'm talking just an average mediocre FPS game. They are literally the worst "AAA" dev of all time, and I look forward to watching this game crash and burn because Halo is dumpster fire quality nowadays. It's almost comical they are putting so much stock in a dev that is such a joke. We don't even have gameplay yet, LMAO!!!! If you remember Halo glory days, we had gameplay years out, because Bungie was a solid dev that made a playable AAA game that we expected time and time again, and worked to polish their games way before launch.

343i, I'm not even going to say good luck, you're truly awful

Yeesh. I'm certainly no fan or admirer of 343, but your statement seems way too harsh. I LOVE the OG Halo's and still play them every week. But even I can admit that their games aren't rubbish... Just not good Halo games.

DanielsM

Banned
Nonsense. You are right in saying COD4 took the lead in the online shooter genre obviously, but H3 had an incredibly populated player base that a lot of modern day publishers would kill for months to a year after release.

It also didn't just sell well. It was the biggest entertainment release up to that date ever. Even eclipsing movie releases like Titanic and such. It was absolute insanity. It was a generational pop culture event.

Not that the franchise has ever been able to reproduce that lightning in a bottle moment ever again, mind you.

But the impact of Halo anno 2007 on online shooters and modern gaming in general seems to be underrated the last couple of years because of the releases that followed it, but that's a false narrative.

What is nonsense? Your timing was off... basically peak sales was H3 but the players basically moved to COD in mass.... sold well. I hate to tell you, lots of games sell much more than that today... so comparing it too Titanic is kind of old news. Halo was a big thing back in the day, just another shooter more or less now.... not that there is anything wrong with that.

Unless they go to Steam, hard to imagine a Destiny clone having enough volume to sustain the heavy development costs long-term.

The vast majority of FPS went to COD and BF

Last edited:
Top Bottom