• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aaron Greenberg: Starfield exclusive on Xbox Series X|S and PC - "none of that has or will change"

MOTM

Banned
I guess I have an agenda then. I have never been excited for a new IP in which I’ve seen zero gameplay. I think people who are overexcited may also have an agenda.

Fallout 76 has a 48 metacritic score on Xbox One. I’m hardly convinced based on history.
Here’s history for you. You’re not fooling anybody.

94 meta

96 meta

93 meta

88 meta.

Please do us a favor and go put your energy in those Abandoned threads lol. Lots of Sony folk who need to hear they can’t be excited for a new IP.

Last edited:

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Show 👏 me 👏 the 👏comments 👏where 👏 that 👏 was 👏said.

Must be loads of proof everywhere on the internet right… right? Yeah thought so.

Ow you want comments, well it was in front of your own eyes all year long. The word "anti-consumer" must have been filtered out for you then on this forum? So you have never seen people creating threads about Sony for timed exclusive games (something MS is also doing a lot, look at all those games that are coming from indies, and STALKER, Warhammer etc etc).

But sure close your eyes. I bet you would even ignore the fact that xbox fanboys were downplaying the PS5's hardware being weak, RDNA1, Software RT, SSD not needed, xbox fanboys can't stand it that the PS5 is selling as even better and all the lies didn't come true.

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
I wonder what the contracts of Bethesda employees are like with regards to royalties.

We saw some issues from People Can Fly because their game launched on Gamepass, which some speculated caused issues with royalty payments being earned.

Now, if Bethesda employees had contacts with royalty payments in them prior to MS purchase of Bethesda (big if maybe) and have been developing the games on the assumption they were coming out on PlayStation consoles, I can't imagine they'd be too happy if then a massive chunk of their potential market was taken away.

This may not even be an issue, but its interesting to think how MS would keep people happy. Probably just give them a load of money to compensate.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
'Launching exclusively' is still quite unclear....

Is it perpetual or is it just for launch?

Of course the xbox guys are going to say it will be exclusive forever but it needs to be clarified beyond doubt and that statement from Greenberg just didn't do that. IMO.
bEEtU4r.png

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
When's God of war and Mario odyssey 2 out on Xbox? Same stupid question same stupid answer.
God of war is out on pc when you can stream it through ps now, and Mario odyssey 2 is out when people find out how to port it to pc 🤷‍♂️

nemiroff

Gold Member
Remember when Xbox Fanboys were arguing that Exclusives were anti-consumer. Fun times lol.

I actually doubt that you'll find very many people with a Xbox confused about where the moral fences goes. No matter the side, most of us are able to be happy about MS, Sony, Nintendo ensuring that they give their customers som quality games to play in the future at the same time as we are able to find platform exclusivity problematic in itself. These things are not mutually exclusive.

I for one have not changed my stance in any shape or form no matter where the exclusivity lies; I wish exclusivity would fuck off and die, period.

Last edited:
Here’s history for you. You’re not fooling anybo

94 meta

96 meta

93 meta

88 meta.

Please do us a favor and go put your energy in those Abandoned threads lol. Lots of Sony folk who need to hear they can’t be excited for a new

What do you mean I’m not fooling anyone? You sound paranoid.

MOTM

Banned
Ow you want comments, well it was in front of your own eyes all year long. The word "anti-consumer" must have been filtered out for you then on this forum? So you have never seen people creating threads about Sony for timed exclusive games (something MS is also doing a lot, look at all those games that are coming from indies, and STALKER, Warhammer etc etc).

But sure close your eyes. I bet you would even ignore the fact that xbox fanboys were downplaying the PS5's hardware being weak, RDNA1, Software RT, SSD not needed, xbox fanboys can't stand it that the PS5 is selling as even better and all the lies didn't come true.
And all I asked was reciepts. As I thought, nope nobody was ever saying that about exclusives, too much salt making you see & hear things.

Stop acting all unbiased, concerned about an unproven IP bla bla bla. You’re not fooling anybody.

Hope you allow yourself to be excited now based on Bethesda’s history that you very conveniently just ignored. You’re welcome.

No I’m NOT excited and you seriously need to reevaluate your paranoid, overly defensive stance.
If you feel the need to call me biased because I’m not excited for this IP while telling me to attack Sony fans over Abandoned…well you may need to take your OWN medicine.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
And all I asked was reciepts. As I thought, nope nobody was ever saying that about exclusives, too much salt making you see & hear things.

The moment MS was going into a purchase spree, exclusives was suddenly a good thing, but still Sony was "anti consumer". You only have to search this word on google in combination with PS or Neogaf or other forums and you will find enough nonsense.

Also your prophet:

Exclusives Are ‘Completely Counter To What Gaming Is About,’ Xbox’s Phil Spencer Says​

Console exclusive games have long been a hallmark feature of new console generations. Exclusive titles force gamers to adopt a new console as soon as possible with warnings of spoilers and FOMO nipping at their heels. For those in lower socioeconomic groups, this means added pressure for an expensive upgrade they may not be able to afford.

This is why the Xbox Series X isn’t focusing on console exclusive games, according to Xbox head Phil Spencer. In a recent interview with GamesIndustry, Spencer said the lack of current console exclusives is intentional.

The moment MS was going into a purchase spree, exclusives was suddenly a good thing, but still Sony was "anti consumer". You only have to search this word on google in combination with PS or Neogaf or other forums and you will find enough nonsense.
Depends on your definition of exclusivity. Games also coming day1 to Pc, smartphones, tablets, TVs and whatever are no exclusives to me and i don't think there are many Playstation or Switch owners without at least a smartphone. Microsoft are not forcing people to spend 500 bucks for a specific hardware to play their games.

recursive

yeah and if you look beyond a clickbait headline he says

“I find it completely counter to what gaming is about to say that part of that is to lock people away from being able to experience those games. Or to force someone to buy my specific device on the day that I want them to go buy it, in order to partake in what gaming is about. Gaming is bigger than any one device…

if you use any bit of reading comprehension you would understand he is referring to things like cloud gaming and pc
PR doublespeak. "I don't like exclusives but you can only play my game on my console or service." You need to enhance your reading comprehension. Don't be a sheep.

fermcr

Bethesda are a Microsoft developer now... why is that so hard for some people to accept?
Unless Microsoft say otherwise, all future Bethesda games will become exclusive to Microsoft platforms (with the exception of Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo).

People bitching about Bethesda/Microsoft, why aren't they bitching about Nintendo and Sony for not bringing their games to other platforms?

Last edited:
Tbh, they can say that "It will not release on any other platforms than XBOX and PC" and end it but they are still being reasonably vague; probably don't want to close off the door too early.

mejin

The point is what would happen if the game comes to PS5 later? Nothing. Toxic Community has no Power here, they would just accept and adapt their narrative..."MS the good Guy".

Here’s history for you. You’re not fooling anybody.

94 meta

96 meta

93 meta

88 meta.

Please do us a favor and go put your energy in those Abandoned threads lol. Lots of Sony folk who need to hear they can’t be excited for a new IP.

I think he was only being cautious since we really don't know anything about starfield other then a few pictures and a CGI trailor but no gameplay.

I put in release dates on the items above and added in ESO & 76 for reference but those 1st 3 are all single player and happed within 5 years .

The Fact that Starfield is Single player is good reason to believe it will be successful. Fallout 76 was a result of ESO being so successfull in generating a continuous revinue stream through DLC, subscription and in game sales. Bethada tried to repeat that and failed.

I Just hope they have learned their lesson and stick to the single player experiences and don't release any more gaas.

(94) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 2006
(93) Fallout 3 2008
(96) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011
(77) ESO (Zenimax) 2014
(88) Fallout 4 2015
(48) Fallout 76 2018

Jemm

I think he was only being cautious since we really don't know anything about starfield other then a few pictures and a CGI trailor but no gameplay.

Actually, it was made with the game engine, which is why it was so impressive:

"Using our own Creation Engine 2, we created this entirely in game without any cinematic tools. Working closely with director, Istvan Pely, I assisted in art direction for anything lighting and mood related." The fact that the entirety of the trailer was rendered in-engine says a lot about Bethesda's confidence in its new game engine along with the new title in its long line of open-world games.
From: Starfield E3 Trailer Was Created Entirely In-Game | Screen Rant

ReBurn

Gold Member

I put in release dates on the items above and added in ESO & 76 for reference but those 1st 3 are all single player and happed within 5 years .

The Fact that Starfield is Single player is good reason to believe it will be successful. Fallout 76 was a result of ESO being so successfull in generating a continuous revinue stream through DLC, subscription and in game sales. Bethada tried to repeat that and failed.

I Just hope they have learned their lesson and stick to the single player experiences and don't release any more gaas.

(94) The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion 2006
(93) Fallout 3 2008
(96) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim 2011
(77) ESO (Zenimax) 2014
(88) Fallout 4 2015
(48) Fallout 76 2018
No, he picked the lowest rated game on the platform with the worst performance to spin the narrative that Bethesda makes bad games. It's pretty obvious what he was doing.

Duchess

That thing is not even published by Microsoft.
Yes, it was.

MS bankrolled the continued development of the game when the devs ran into financial difficulties. The game was originally published by Microsoft Game Studios. It was also MS who suggested that the port to the Switch happen.

Additionally, Aaron Greenberg DID say it was an exclusive. A life time exclusive:

“Those are three huge ID titles,” Greenberg said. “If you played Limbo you’re definitely excited to see what Playdead’s bringing next with Inside. We know the guys at Capy make incredible games and Below has been a title that’s been anticipated for a very long time. And then Cuphead is a console-exclusive for us. Lifetime exclusive. And so that’s a big title that we’ve bet on.”

You can find numerous other examples of MS saying X is exclusive and that not being entirely true. So, as you can see, this is why people are having difficulty in believing that MS will keep all Bethesda titles as lifetime exclusives.

This is fake..?

https%3A%2F%2Fbucketeer-e05bbc84-baa3-437e-9518-adb32be77984.s3.amazonaws.com%2Fpublic%2Fimages%2Fd2d0baa6-0a96-49bb-a6a4-91fb9776fa4c_800x392.jpeg

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
The point is what would happen if the game comes to PS5 later? Nothing. Toxic Community has no Power here, they would just accept and adapt their narrative..."MS the good Guy".
Usually people who are part of a toxic community call others a toxic community. Being part of a toxic community is nothing to brag about, so instead they make it part of their speech pattern to call others a "toxic community" or "console warrior fanboy". The best way to try not to labelled as something is to try hard to identify as a judge and dictate.

reksveks

I am going to reposition my view of the world to one where every game is a timed console exclusives but that time varies either based on commercial contracts or technically in case of a world where we get a xbox series x (2029 edition) emulating a ps5.

And then I still don't give a fuck about exclusives in a slightly different way.

Ceadeus

Gold Member
This forum is supposed to be for people enthusiastic about video games. Why don't you guys quit the console war by simply buying the ones your favorite exclusive are on?

I mean, it's no big deal to buy all 3 console and a PC. You can then play everything and it's fun..

NickFire

Tbh, they can say that "It will not release on any other platforms than XBOX and PC" and end it but they are still being reasonably vague; probably don't want to close off the door too early.
The tweet where he says not timed exclusive seems straightforward enough by itself, but the part (in the same tweet) about having tried to be as clear as possible is completely untrue in my opinion. To me it comes across as being told something by someone with visibly crossed fingers.

I feel Microsoft will indicate exclusive for a couple years and release on Playstation. When starfield has run it course of people playing it on game pass and sales/ MAU are slowing they can rerelease a game of the year version full price on Playstation.
We'll just have to see, they may never though.

GhostOfTsu

Banned
It's true. I remember there was a lot of talk about this last year but it's possible the poster was confused with Era? I do remember reading about it on GAF too but it didn't come up in my 2 mins google search. You can't deny that xbox fans used to downplay exclusives and the narrative literally changed overnight after the Bethesda purchase, right?

Suddenly exclusives were good and acquisitions too. They want Phil to buy everything now.

Reading this thread it's clear that starfield is "overhyped", "probably shit anyways", "jankfield"

So this is really a non-issue,
We have Goodbye volcano high

I wouldn’t say it’s “probably shit”. It may very well amount to one of the most mediocre experiences in a while, which won’t surprise me. That said, it could possibly become the best thing since H2O. However, making the assumption that it matters before we have seen ANY gameplay footage is ignorant imo. What I’ve seen conceptually almost makes it seem like a variation of Star Citizen. You’re simply placing the cart before the horse.

My point is that it makes no sense for Playstation fans to feel bitter that it’s exclusive when the game is still an unknown. I guess the Xbox fans are happy that they conceptually have a game that they can rightfully claim people are “port begging”.

Fredrik

I do not understand. That's not all of you wanted, that Microsoft have exclusive games. Now that they will have a lot in the coming months/years, we still hear <are you sure they will not come to Playstation?>.
not like this GIF

People asked for exclusives but I doubt that they wanted this, it’s a brutal way to gain exclusives.

Leyasu

Banned
I feel Microsoft will indicate exclusive for a couple years and release on Playstation. When starfield has run it course of people playing it on game pass and sales/ MAU are slowing they can rerelease a game of the year version full price on Playstation.
We'll just have to see, they may never though.
Yeah I am thinking that Sony are just days away now from announcing TLoU2 for Xbox

Godot25

Banned
If a game is Xbox exclusive how many devices can I play that game on?
Shhh. For them term exclusive isn't about "How many devices can you play this game on."

It's about "I can't play it on PlayStation"

Right now, Xbox first party games are available on Xbox consoles (one of the costs 299$), PC's, underpowered PC's, Android and iOS devices all day one.
PlayStation first party games are available on...PlayStation consoles. And maybe 2 years later on PC. And maybe on PlayStation Now for a few months.

Last edited:

Schmick

Shhh. For them term exclusive isn't about "How many devices can you play this game on."

It's about "I can't play it on PlayStation"

Right now, Xbox first party games are available on Xbox consoles (one of the costs 299$), PC's, underpowered PC's, Android and iOS devices all day one.
PlayStation first party games are available on...PlayStation consoles. And maybe 2 years later on PC. And maybe on PlayStation Now for a few months.
And.... it seems quite a few Sony fans are very proud of Sony's stance on exclusives (until of course said exclusives come to PC day one or just a few months after console launch).

Schmick

Starfield is, and will be an XBOX and PC exclusive. It’s a first party Microsoft title…
If you want to play it, get an XBOX or PC capable of running it…

Not any different than God of War or a more recent title like Spider-Man being exclusive to PlayStation, so if you want to play that you need a PlayStation…

If you want to play Zelda or Mario you need a Nintendo console…

I don’t see why this is so hard to understand for some people. The ongoing anger and frustration over this is pure internet twitter autism rage at its finest.

Don't forget if you want to play it other than a PC or console just subscribe to GamePass Ultimate.

And in the near future XBO and Smart TV's and anything that can run apps from a USB Fire Stick

So upon reflection... in near future you'll be able to play any Xbox exclusive on pretty much any device.

Thus an example of consumer friendly.

I was once told that if a game comes out on a pc it isn't exclusive. Now people are upset that a game coming out on pc as well as xbox is not fair because it is exclusive. When did the goal post move?

This is soo true. Goal posts move all the time unfortunately.

This forum is supposed to be for people enthusiastic about video games. Why don't you guys quit the console war by simply buying the ones your favorite exclusive are on?

I mean, it's no big deal to buy all 3 console and a PC. You can then play everything and it's fun..
If only..

Last edited:
Top Bottom