• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to a french retailer, Microsoft never believe in Redfall and Arkane Lyon is working on a ambitious game

diffusionx

Gold Member
I don't believe this for a second, this game was their "one more thing" a couple years ago, it's been consistently positioned as a key part of MS' lineup, it was marketed heavily, it was a big part of their directs in 2022 and 2023, and Satya Nadella explicitly mentioned in this game in his conference call a week ago. I find it hard to believe that they invested all this space in a game they did not believe in, I mean this is more than Sony gave Days Gone lmao.

I don't believe this for a second, this game was their "one more thing" a couple years ago, it's been consistently positioned as a key part of MS' lineup, it was marketed heavily, it was a big part of their directs in 2022 and 2023, and Satya Nadella explicitly mentioned in this game in his conference call a week ago. I find it hard to believe that they invested all this space in a game they did not believe in, I mean this is more than Sony gave Days Gone lmao.
I mean when it’s all you have besides starfield I could see it

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
I heard about development troubles with a few of their games, that doesn't even include the now released Halo Infinite; which was also plagued by dev woes.

Last edited:
Do Arkane Austin and Arkane Lyon share team members? Because I have some trouble seeing why Arkane Lyon's next big game would make Microsoft rush Arkane Lyon on RedFall and send it out to die.

Unless that cash budget is shrinking for all the teams as a whole and Xbox management couldn't throw yet more money at RedFall if it meant less money for Arkane Lyon's next game. Could see the connection in that case.

Shambala

Ah the same cycle.. Next game am I right
stWn68Z.gif

Warablo

Certainly should be a tighter experience, but honestly don't blame them trying to get Redfall out and over with.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Maybe it's getting late and I'm not understanding, but he works at a french retailer store, but also at Arkane Lyon at the same time???

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Do Arkane Austin and Arkane Lyon share team members? Because I have some trouble seeing why Arkane Lyon's next big game would make Microsoft rush Arkane Lyon on RedFall and send it out to die.

Unless that cash budget is shrinking for all the teams as a whole and Xbox management couldn't throw yet more money at RedFall if it meant less money for Arkane Lyon's next game. Could see the connection in that case.
Yeah, completely different studios and teams in different continents. Bullshit rumor.

Yeah, I’m not buying it.

Microsoft clearly had enough belief in it to make it their “Oh and one more thing!” hype reel package at the 2021 Not-E3 Xbox and Bethesda showcase.

But in a way that just makes RedFall's failure even worst, because it means they actually tried putting effort to it and thought they had a good enough game on their hands.

And instead we got a meme in running for worst game of the year. If Xbox management can't gauge when they have a stinker ahead of time and actually fix it, then the problems run very deep indeed.

Cyberpunkd

IMO, Redfall is GAAS title day 1 release. This is how they come out.
It won’t cut it if there’s already a competitor. This is what a lot of MMOs launching after WoW faced - there was just much more content there. Now new games do not have the benefit of doubt - if you fail at launch people that tried your game will go back to their old one, and new ones will not come because “they heard it is a bad game nobody is playing”.

Robb

Gold Member
I could’ve believed it if they hadn’t delayed it. Doesn’t make much sense to me now.

Laptop1991

They shouldn't PR the hell out of it then to dupe gamers to get money either for sales or subscriptions, why would anyone believe them in the future, either release good games or don't bother releasing them at all

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Didn’t stop them selling it at top price.
As crazy as it seems, I'd sell it for $70 US too.

Gamers are accustomed to buying every full budget game at the same price. Makes no sense GTA games sell for $60 or $70, while shit game costs the same, but if gamers buy it in droves day one (most games are front loaded sales), then you might as well price it at the peak.

Probably the only industry in the world with such blatant standard pricing.

Even other media like old ass CDs and DVDs werent like this. A new big budget artist or film might be $19.99, but then another equally big title goes for $18.99 or $21.99. Two loaves of bread by big companies. One goes for $2.99. The other $3.29. LG ad Samsung sell similar tier stereos. One goes for $499. The other $549.

But gaming, it's $69.99 US standard unless it's an indie game, remaster or some AA games. Go figure.

SSfox

Even if true, it still means MS was ok to sell this for 70 bucks.

Anyway now i see why Jimbo didn't try to block Bethesda acquisition.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
MS believed in this games so much so that they even canceled the PS5 version…
Agree. I said as much in the review thread that Microsoft believed in this product, but certain people got so angry at me for saying this they blocked me 🤷‍♂️😄

I disagree. Why would a company intentionally take a negative PR hit? Especially in these circumstances?

Besides, it is launching on GP day one. It wasn't gonna lit the sales charts on fire anyway, so the ROI isn't really a part of the equation. They aren't gonna recover it from game sales anyway.

I believe XGS really thought they had a wonderful game on their hands. Let's look at the facts:
  • They didn't delay the game.
  • They charged $70 for this game. This is the first game Microsoft is charging $70 for!
  • Phil Spencer revealed this game in their 2022 Showcase as the "before I go, I have one more thing to show you" special announcement. For reference, Sony closed their show with God of War Ragnarok.
  • Satya Nadella name-dropped Redfall in their financial earning calls last week (!)
They really thought they had a gem at their hands that's worth name-dropping in earning calls, announcing as a special game to close their Showcase, and asking $70 price tag.

Top Bottom