• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to a french retailer, Microsoft never believe in Redfall and Arkane Lyon is working on a ambitious game

reksveks

Yep. Seems like a very weird rumor.

Microsoft clearly believed in this project, invested a lot in its marketing, and gave it a lot of importance.
Unfortunately we don't actually know how much they spent. Anecdotally I have only seen two youtube ads recently.

User score 5.3.
The discrepancy between this and the steam reviews is quite large, unfortunately it recently got some 0 on metacritic cause of Russian language support.

I am not sure about this rumour in general but don't necessarily agree that they spent alot in marketing however that's a relative term. And relative to what is a good question.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Okay i’m going to to my local restaurant to ask the manager when should we expect Metroid Prime 4 release and what he believe about the next 3D Mario game.

I just bought some fries at McDonalds......

7kd533.jpg

Excited Difficult People GIF by HULU

Nautilus

Banned
Why would MS waste money funding the game if they never believed in it?
Its not that MS never had faith to begin with. What he probably means is that MS lost faith in the project in the end(the last months/year of the project), probably because they played a build and saw how it was fundamentally flawed. And seeing their current predicament and that the project was already public knowledge, they cut their losses and released the game as it was.

Dane

Not impossible considering that the game was dead from the start back in 2018.
Now we are sharing reddits based on a tweet which is a reply to another tweet which contains the link to a review?

How do a retailer knows the in-house discussion of a publisher since they are working with a distrubutor to get the game?
Wasn't this the case a few times where retailers working close to a studio had the employees as customers?

Thirty7ven

Banned
Its not that MS never had faith to begin with. What he probably means is that MS lost faith in the project in the end(the last months/year of the project), probably because they played a build and saw how it was fundamentally flawed. And seeing their current predicament and that the project was already public knowledge, they cut their losses and released the game as it was.

Oh please

They had a big preview event in March. Why would you draw all the main media outlets to a preview event of Redfall if you had no faith in it? The truth sounds a lot more simple, they didn't know Redfall wasn't a good game. Doesn't help that so many previews sounded positive.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
"He's a french retailer working at Lyon and he talk with some Arkane Lyon (Dishonored and Deathloop) devs."

The fact that they are a French retailer isn't relevant to what they are claiming. They're saying they talked to some Arkane Lyon devs. Whether that's true or not is still up in the air but the fact that they're a French retailer has little to do with knowing.

Ahh, ok...well. Maybe there is some chance of truth in this then.

SHA

Nope, it's a mess, I wanna hear at least one opinion.
I get it , picking a studio to do something different doesn't seem a good idea, it's like gambling, this is seriously bad and uncreative, it could destroy studios reputation, you can't seriously make original content out of this.

Nautilus

Banned
Oh please

They had a big preview event in March. Why would you draw all the main media outlets to a preview event of Redfall if you had no faith in it? The truth sounds a lot more simple, they didn't know Redfall wasn't a good game. Doesn't help that so many previews sounded positive.
Because it was still the only product/game that they had in a long time, and MS wants to recoup their investment on it.

And lets be honest: Even if MS just quietly sent this to die, it would still have been a shitstorm, because Redfall was already being marketed as a big game for almost 2 years now. MS, after the shit they have been getting for the last 3 years, couldn't just go "Nothing to see here, just disperse" and people go "Yeah, sure".

Thirty7ven

Banned
Because it was still the only product/game that they had in a long time, and MS wants to recoup their investment on it.

And lets be honest: Even if MS just quietly sent this to die, it would still have been a shitstorm, because Redfall was already being marketed as a big game for almost 2 years now. MS, after the shit they have been getting for the last 3 years, couldn't just go "Nothing to see here, just disperse" and people go "Yeah, sure".

That's not how Gamepass works, and MS could've kept it low profile or indefinitely delayed it. Cancelling it also an option. All would have better outcomes than what just happened.

The game came out because look around, don't know if you have noticed but MS is having a bit of a problem fulfilling their end of the bargain.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
That's not how Gamepass works, and MS could've kept it low profile or indefinitely delayed it. Cancelling it also an option. All would have better outcomes than what just happened.

Tom Cruise What GIF

What is with these takes? It would make 0 sense to indefinitely delay or cancel a game years in development.

Nautilus

Banned

The game came out because look around, don't know if you have noticed but MS is having a bit of a problem fulfilling their end of the bargain.
And you don't think that cancelling it, after having no games last year and Redfall being THE first big game from MS would have been better? Or if additional delays would have saved the game?(On top of having a shitstorm alongside it?). Honestly, just releasing it as it is was the better option, both financially and from a consumer point of view. Not to say it was a good decision, but from the decisions left by MS regarding Redfall, it was the least shitty one.

Not saying this leaker is correct. He can be lying for all I know, but I do see the reasoning and the signs to back this up.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Tom Cruise What GIF

What is with these takes? It would make 0 sense to indefinitely delay or cancel a game years in development.

It has happened before. But ok, then delay the game.

Or are you going to try and convince me that MS had no other choice and this was the best outcome? You really about to carry that water for them? Why?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Then delay the game.

Or are you going to try and convince me that MS had no other choice and this was the best outcome? You really about to carry that water for them? Why?

Delay the game how much? Did we already forget this game got a full year worth of delay. At a point it just makes more sense to put it out instead of keep devoting resources and keep developers tied to it.

Salz01

How is it bad , explain?
They don’t have too many 1st party games. The ones that do get released you would think you would back and support and make sure it’s a quality product regardless. Believe in it or not, make it a quality product if you are asking money for it becasue it’s part of your brand .

Thirty7ven

Banned
Delay the game how much? Did we already forget this game got a full year worth of delay. At a point it just makes more sense to put it out instead of keep devoting resources and keep developers tied to it.

You speak like the game was in development hell for ten years. Just a bunch of bad excuses you are making here. But keep carrying that load I guess.

DosGamer

Was it common for random retailers have inside knowledge about Sega's commitment to their games back then?
Not really sure, but I just remember the 32X, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, and dreamcast (oh and cant forget the game gear)... it just seemed like one bad decision after another. Kinda see MS doing the same thing. They are flooding the market with complicated system names and promises of games that might not deliver on expectations.
I

adamsapple

You speak like the game was in development hell for ten years. Just a bunch of bad excuses you are making here. But keep carrying that load I guess.

Bad excuses? As opposed to demanding the game be canceled or indefinitely delayed.

Surejan

ReBurn

Gold Member
Not really sure, but I just remember the 32X, Sega CD, Sega Saturn, and dreamcast (oh and cant forget the game gear)... it just seemed like one bad decision after another. Kinda see MS doing the same thing. They are flooding the market with complicated system names and promises of games that might not deliver on expectations.
I
Oh yeah, there's plenty of documentation about Sega's bad choices nearly bankrupting them. What we have here is a rumor from a sketchy source about one game getting slighted because a different game that's under wraps is better.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Bad excuses? As opposed to demanding the game be canceled or indefinitely delayed.

Surejan

Games are cancelled all the time. Games get indefinitely delayed all the time.

You don’t have a leg to stand on this, and you’ve failed to explain or argue why launching a game in this state was good for anybody.

Guess you are looking at it like “now we can move on and Arkane can go back to making a great game again” as if that’s how it works. I’m sure talent will be dying to work at Arkane Austin!

Yeh, so independent that they were willing to take instruction to cancel the PS5 version but not to wait until the game is actually finished before releasing it.

You just don’t understand, there was no other option!

Last edited:
Maybe my great grandchildren will see what the promised land of xbox looks like?

Waiting on xbox is like the people who keep saying wait for doomsday! It's coming.

DragonNCM

It is beyond my humbe 130 IQ brain how is posible MS to launch one of their most advertised games for this year in "ALPHA" state (yeah game is not even in "BETA" state of play). Does even someone at MS do play test's for their games?
Playing Redfall on my series S looks same as first time playing Cyberpunk on launch, totall mess with AI, graphic was allover the place, bugs allover the place (thank God they fixed all of that in 1year period).

Nautilus

Banned

You don’t have a leg to stand on this, and you’ve failed to explain or argue why launching a game in this state was good for anybody.

Guess you are looking at it like “now we can move on and Arkane can go back to making a great game again” as if that’s how it works. I’m sure talent will be dying to work at Arkane Austin!

You just don’t understand, there was no other option!
Money? Delaying indefinitely cost money. ALOT of money(Tens of millions of dollars). And just because MS has a lot of money doesn't mean that they like to burn money.

Cancelling is the same problem, with the added effect that people will see MS as even more inconpetent as they already see it, as it will have been more than a year and a half since the last big first party game from them.

This is all pure logic, and I don't understand how someone doesn't understand that cancelling or just delaying and wasting even more money on it could be seen as better options.

adamsapple

Either that or critics. Pick your poison 😅

Definitely not user reviews.

I don't know why you're trying to spin this as anyone saying its a good thing, I don't think I've said anything remotely close once.

It's a poorly reviewed game with a lot of issues at launch, not par for course for Arkane and their own creatives said earlier this year that they'll return to more Dishonored style projects after this game.

This was a matter of something that was in development for 5~ years, just push it out if its in a shippable state and have a splinter set of devs continue to patch it.

Indefinitely delaying or canceling it will have absolutely no returns, at least pushing it out and patching it (and if they're nefarious enough, introducing an MTX store a few months down the line) will get them their returns.

Last edited:

Shut0wen

I don't believe this for a second, this game was their "one more thing" a couple years ago, it's been consistently positioned as a key part of MS' lineup, it was marketed heavily, it was a big part of their directs in 2022 and 2023, and Satya Nadella explicitly mentioned in this game in his conference call a week ago. I find it hard to believe that they invested all this space in a game they did not believe in, I mean this is more than Sony gave Days Gone lmao.
Yeah this retailer is talking shit, only runour that has beeb true so far is that arkane struggled to work from home during covid and asked MS to delay the game into 2024 in which MS disagreed, MS is to blame for the quality of the game but arkane fucked up trying to make it into some weird multiplayer single game in which drop in and out coop isnt possible, weird decision by arkane tbh

Tsaki

Yeah yeah "My uncle at Nintendo blah blah blah". Redfall was Microsoft's 'One more thing' at E3. They definitely had expectations from Arkane.

Top Bottom