• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

According to a french retailer, Microsoft never believe in Redfall and Arkane Lyon is working on a ambitious game

nemiroff

Gold Member
Isn't it always the NEXT thing?
Yeah, and many of the games from MS studios have actually legit been the next thing good stuff. What we should critice them for though is of course that they let some of their studios keep getting away with doing shit quality seemingly autonomously without putting a lot more pressure on them. 343 is a good example of how wrong and for how long things can can go on for. Halo should've been given to another studio with a different management a long time ago.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Yeah, and many of the games from MS studios have actually legit been good stuff. What we should critice them for though is of course that they let some of their studios keep getting away with doing shit quality seemingly autonomously without putting a lot more pressure on them. 343 is a good example of how wrong and for how long things can can go on for.
There's a difference though.

Microsoft makes reasonably good AA games: Pentiment, Ori, Grounded, etc. But they don't have the talent, systems, and tech in place to create high-quality AAA games.

Think about it. When was the last time Microsoft created a high-quality character-driven AAA game? More importantly, when was the last time Microsoft created a high-quality AAA game that was NOT a sequel with an already set and successful formula?

It won’t cut it if there’s already a competitor. This is what a lot of MMOs launching after WoW faced - there was just much more content there. Now new games do not have the benefit of doubt - if you fail at launch people that tried your game will go back to their old one, and new ones will not come because “they heard it is a bad game nobody is playing”.

I have played it some 4 hrs.

I want to play more but they need to get it in good shape. For me it's worth spending time with.

baphomet

Is it? Really? Because I'd get that, I'd be all for that.

Can you back that up? The first part?

avin

Compare doing an open world far cry style game to Prey. That alone is ambitious. Not to mention they spent at least 5 years on this.

Doesn't change that they're too shitty at developing games to live up to their ambitions.

Topher

Gold Member
Microsoft is selling a game to their customers that should have been delayed but didn't because they "never believed in it"?

go fuck yourself middle finger GIF by IFC

RIPN2022

So is Microsoft interference to blame for the project going off track and ending up in what we are seeing now? If so wow. Microsoft's catalogue of developers are going to suffer if they titles are going to be damaged like this.

StueyDuck

Lol this sounds like absolute tales from someone's anus 🤣

Some console warrior trying to do damage control.

If they had no faith in redfall they would have canned it... like MS have done countless times before. They would not waste the money and resources continually Pushing the game out. That's literally not how any business works.

And of course arkane the multiple teamed studio is working on another title considering deathloop already released , what do they think, that the studio is on a 2 year vacation 🤣

This sounds ridiculous and absolutely French hahaha

Last edited:

salva

A retailer?
More like me uncles brothers wifes cat who identifies as a human and married to my cousins dad that works at Microsoft

feynoob

Banned
There's a difference though.

Microsoft makes reasonably good AA games: Pentiment, Ori, Grounded, etc. But they don't have the talent, systems, and tech in place to create high-quality AAA games.

Think about it. When was the last time Microsoft created a high-quality character-driven AAA game? More importantly, when was the last time Microsoft created a high-quality AAA game that was NOT a sequel with an already set and successful formula?
They made sea of thieves.

kyussman

I know how they feel because I don't believe in Microsoft.
This last couple of days has actually had me questioning if I want to invest in Xbox this gen.I'm in the market for a next gen console and they certainly have games coming that I'm interested in,but I've really no confidence they will deliver after this latest balls up.Shame.....I'll just have to wait and see.

feynoob

Banned
Bullshit. They're one of the best studios out there. They got rocksteadied and were rushed to make a coop online game they had no passion for.
People are forgetting who is the main culprit for this mess.

If zenimax/Bethesda board weren't forcing their studios, we wouldn't have gotten fallout76, deathloop and this mess. It wasn't that long ago, when Bethesda tried the 100$ sub for fallout76.

Those studios are talented ones.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Do Arkane Austin and Arkane Lyon share team members? Because I have some trouble seeing why Arkane Lyon's next big game would make Microsoft rush Arkane Lyon on RedFall and send it out to die.

Unless that cash budget is shrinking for all the teams as a whole and Xbox management couldn't throw yet more money at RedFall if it meant less money for Arkane Lyon's next game. Could see the connection in that case.
Lyon is in France.
Austin is in the US.

They dont share members, sure some remote work can be done between teams, but they are effectively two completely separate studios now and could even have had different names if needed

Corndog

Banned
a06411aa-2ce1-4e23-ac77-cacba5c574a9_text.gif

I wouldnt put it past some disgruntled xbox fan making up this story. With the ABK fail, redfall dumpster fire, underperforming console sales and performance against ps5 green rats are on the brink of mental collapse.
Why? Because Sony neogaf warriors are flexing? Anyone still here knows how one sided people are.

Three

Why would a French retailer know this?
"He's a french retailer working at Lyon and he talk with some Arkane Lyon (Dishonored and Deathloop) devs."

The fact that they are a French retailer isn't relevant to what they are claiming. They're saying they talked to some Arkane Lyon devs. Whether that's true or not is still up in the air but the fact that they're a French retailer has little to do with knowing.

Brucey

I know how they feel because I don't believe in Microsoft.
This last couple of days has actually had me questioning if I want to invest in Xbox this gen.I'm in the market for a next gen console and they certainly have games coming that I'm interested in,but I've really no confidence they will deliver after this latest balls up.Shame.....I'll just have to wait and see.
I'd imagine a price drop for the series x for black Friday/Christmas is almost guaranteed, to say $399. Just to try and stay competitive against a surging PS5.

Ozriel

M$FT
So Microsoft never believed in Redfall and wanted to end development quickly yet they signed off on a nearly one year delay and canceled a PlayStation version?

Are there people gullible enough to believe this?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
So Microsoft never believed in Redfall and wanted to end development quickly yet they signed off on a nearly one year delay and canceled a PlayStation version?

Yep. Seems like a very weird rumor.

Microsoft clearly believed in this project, invested a lot in its marketing, and gave it a lot of importance.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח

They also didn't believe it so much that they promoted the hack out of it. I guess they really believed in Hi Fi Rush.

Regardless, I hope the studio can recover and find a better way to use their talents.

Arkane will likely never make a game that has true mass appeal or is a system seller, just look at their previous games for evidence. They may still be quality games though and will be good additions to Game Pass.

Last edited:

skit_data

Ah, yes it’s completely logical. That’s why they delayed the game, making it take up the developers time for even longer.

Wildebeest

The known facts add up.

Redfall is in development for five years plus, predating the buyout and in line with Bethesda management's decision to make Fallout 76. Microsoft might have felt they had no alternative, just because they needed games for their release schedule and it "seemed" so far along in development.

Wildebeest

Same category as Redfall.

69 MC on Xbox. 67 on PC. User score 5.3.
Sea of Thieves was something different. A genuinely quality, different product dumped onto a market that wanted "faster horses" type features like solo xp grind, skill trees, and so on. The biggest criticism of Redfall is that it is a mediocre copy of Borderlands.

Top Bottom