• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

adequate procedures to speed down your perception of time and focus more better

Have a wank.

giphy.gif

Tesseract

Banned
Stimulate your mind. You play any board games? Try learning another language. Literally exercise your mind. Wish I could help you further but I haven't really read a book in years so I got nothing to recommend.

will do, currently studying chinese

studied german and spanish in high school and college

i'm def looking for books that deep dive flow states, i don't have any issues with my attention span but i wanna go beyond the norms

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
will do, currently studying chinese

studied german and spanish in high school and college

i'm def looking for books that deep dive flow states, i don't have any issues with my attention span but i wanna go beyond the norms
Mandarin or Cantonese? Heard Chinese is one of the hardest languages to learn.

S

SLoWMoTIoN

Unconfirmed Member
mandarin for utility, i'll prolly get to cantonese when i'm older

so far it's not bad, but these fucking symbols bruv
I'm sure you are just too fucking smart man. Most people have a hard time learning new languages at around our age.

Tesseract

Banned
Proofread and capitalize your writing. It's a mundane slow process. Put some Beethoven on in the background while you do it.

nah (beethoven is good tho, classical is my shit)

i learned the rules so i can break them at my leisure and i don't use caps because of my math background

Last edited:
nah (beethoven is good tho, classical is my shit)

i learned the rules so i can break them at my leisure and i don't use caps because of my math background

Fine. It's quite cool looking anyway.

Surely trying to grab at stuff all the time is counter-productive to calming the mind. I don't have any other recommendations than serious meditation. Find a class, find a tradition, find a school of thought around meditation, and sincerely practice. I believe it would help, but whatever innit lol

Tesseract

Banned
Fine. It's quite cool looking anyway.

Surely trying to grab at stuff all the time is counter-productive to calming the mind. I don't have any other recommendations than serious meditation. Find a class, find a tradition, find a school of thought around meditation, and sincerely practice. I believe it would help, but whatever innit lol

thanks, i'll give it a shot

thanks, i'll give it a shot

Well, I'm certainly no expert, but according to some, the mind is like a clear blue sky under a raging storm. I find that analogy good to remember. But, like I say, I'm gonna probably die having achieved no desired state of mental peace and regret it all.

Tesseract

Banned
Well, I'm certainly no expert, but according to some, the mind is like a clear blue sky under a raging storm. I find that analogy good to remember. But, like I say, I'm gonna probably die having achieved no desired state of mental peace and regret it all.

aren't we all

jufonuk

not tag worthy
not looking for deh drugs, i already take everything and i've become immune to most of it

what do you guys do to achieve the ultimate flow state?
meditate, listen to relaxing music.

sometimes I have tea or coffee I find sometimes caffeine calms my mind.

sometimes only sleeping 4 hours can produce a relaxed mind, though I wouldn't recommend it all the time after a few times it makes the mind go the other way

oh also some exercise endorphins can produce a euphoric state

I have/had ADHD as a child and an adult. so

Tesseract

Banned
meditate, listen to relaxing music.

sometimes I have tea or coffee I find sometimes caffeine calms my mind.

sometimes only sleeping 4 hours can produce a relaxed mind, though I wouldn't recommend it all the time after a few times it makes the mind go the other way

oh also some exercise endorphins can produce a euphoric state

I have/had ADHD as a child and an adult. so

thanks dude, multiple meditation recs in this thread

i'll give it a try

DESTROYA

Stimulate your mind. You play any board games? Try learning another language. Literally exercise your mind. Wish I could help you further but I haven't really read a book in years so I got nothing to recommend.
Manga doesn’t count?

Tesseract Tesseract
Try slow deep breathing, in through the nose out with the mouth. It helps calm me when I feel a bit stressed.

Have a wank.

Great advice but unfortunately you can’t do this all the time...........or can you?

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Meditation is a good way to hone your attention. U don’t need any equipment or instructions or anything. Just sit down and breathe and try not to think of anything. Just breathe and let the thoughts flow over you. Think of it as calibration. You can’t expect to be able to focus on something if u have trouble focusing on nothing. Nowadays it is easy to distract your way through life, sleepwalking through it. Just sitting still without any stimulus might be the most difficult thing to do

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I don't know if meditation will help slow down your perception of time.

As we age, our brain acquires all kinds of coping mechanisms and distraction tricks to alleviate boredom and frustration. This is responsible for the phenomenon of feeling like "time passes me by as I get older" compared to the endless stretches of time of your childhood. Your mental frame of reference is irrevocably stretched and stretched until the hours pass like minutes.

Do some math problems or focus on learning more words from your native language or from a new language. You want to get your brain back into that mode of being focused on a challenging task. It doesn't have to be drudgery, but it shouldn't be easy either. The sensation of getting antsy or impatient as you slog through these tasks is the signal that you are slowing down your perception of time. Remaining focused and driven in the midst of impatience is pretty difficult but that is where the secret lies.

Last edited:
I don't know if meditation will help slow down your perception of time.

As we age, our brain acquires all kinds of coping mechanisms and distraction tricks to alleviate boredom and frustration. This is responsible for the phenomenon of feeling like "time passes me by as I get older" compared to the endless stretches of time of your childhood. Your mental frame of reference is irrevocably stretched and stretched until the minutes pass like hours.

Do some math problems or focus on learning more words from your native language or from a new language. You want to get your brain back into that mode of being focused on a challenging task. It doesn't have to be drudgery, but it shouldn't be easy either. The sensation of getting antsy or impatient as you slog through these tasks is the signal that you are slowing down your perception of time. Remaining focused and driven in the midst of impatience is pretty difficult but that is where the secret lies.

True. Doing new things will slow down time. This is probably the best answer. But, I recommended meditation, not to bring life to a standstill as that wouldn't work anyway, but kind of for your reason of finding something new internally. As a meditation practitioner (well, generally, over the years, I could do way more), I can say that the results of meditation don't happen on the cushion, but will arise at random times in the future when we might find them useful. We'll just stop and see the world in a different way when we least expect it.

Last edited:

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
True. Doing new things will slow down time. This is probably the best answer. But, I recommended meditation, not to bring life to a standstill as that wouldn't work anyway, but kind of for your reason of finding something new internally. As a meditation practitioner (well, generally, over the years, I could do way more), I can say that the results of meditation don't happen on the cushion, but will arise at random times in the future when we might find them useful. We'll just stop and see the world in a different way when we least expect it.
I'm a huge proponent of praying and meditation, so please don't misunderstand where I'm coming from. Meditation helps me with anxiety and (somewhat) with focus, but not really with slowing down time or being more mindful of the passage of time.

Wanna really make time slow down Tesseract Tesseract ?

Grind on them shmups. I'll sit down to practice for no-miss clears and die and die and die and when I've finally reached my limit, I look up at the clock and only 20m has passed. I suppose this could work for any other highly-focused, highly-frustrating task.

-Arcadia-

Banned
I think I'm a outright official DunDunPachi fan now. That post was so insightful and well-thought out.

To add a little bit, I don't know if you can slow time, but you can make it satisfying and memorable.

Doing productive things, doing things that make you happy, doing things that leave you content and with the feeling of a day well spent, gives texture and meaning to a day, versus them just passing by.

That can make your days feel more full, and importantly, memorable. I think when you have a thousand mediocre days that all feel the same, and can be summed up with the exact same chain of memories, that contributes a lot to the feeling of time flying by.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
I think I'm a outright official DunDunPachi fan now. That post was so insightful and well-thought out.

To add a little bit, I don't know if you can slow time, but you can make it satisfying and memorable.

Doing productive things, doing things that make you happy, doing things that leave you content and with the feeling of a day well spent, gives texture and meaning to a day, versus them just passing by.

That can make your days feel more full, and importantly, memorable. I think when you have a thousand mediocre days that all feel the same, and can be summed up with the exact same chain of memories, that contributes a lot to the feeling of time flying by.
Thanks! I'm glad you are a fan. Patreon-exclusive shitposts forthcoming for everyone at the $100.00 tier and above.

You nailed it with the piece about days feeling more full and memorable. "Time" is malleable. Your perception of time is exactly that: a perception, and like other characteristics of our consciousness our perception is malleable. When I try to "pass the time" I'm pretty much always successful! It's not hard to pass the hours, days, or even weeks in a blink.

Technical reading material is another good way to slow down time. If I have to pause and re-read something before I understand it, my reading pace is slower (obviously) but I also feel like I've gotten more substance out of fewer pages.

Pejo

My secret is procrastinating until the very last possible moment. Then when I'm in a legitimate "OH SHIT" situation, my focus and productivity is through the roof.

DunDunDunpachi

Patient MembeR
Another idea for you Tessie: turn off the background music. Alternatively, sit and focus only on the music.

I notice that time passes faster when I have music playing in the background. I'm an amateur musician and maybe it's that internal metronome or something...

George%2BMichael%2Bwoodblock.png

Turning off the background music always makes my work day drag.

But also, an indulgence of mine is to simply sit and listen to an album. No TV on. Not reading a book or posting on GAF. Not listening in the midst of a conversation with someone else. Nothing except sitting and listening to a good album. Sometimes one side is enough and I'm satisfied. This always feels like time well spent and it's only like... 15 or 20m depending on the album. I think -Arcadia- -Arcadia- really got to the heart of it. Time goes slower when you spend it with intention.

highrider

Banned
not looking for deh drugs, i already take everything and i've become immune to most of it

what do you guys do to achieve the ultimate flow state?

Using cannabis, then working at something I like to do. And do right, do right and your world will be right. Karmic debt is real. Everything negative you put out comes back, as does the positive 🤛

#Phonepunk#

Banned
True. Doing new things will slow down time. This is probably the best answer
i disagree. for one thing, i look at my life, how as i get older, as i gain more and more new experiences, my total of previous experience accrued looks longer and longer. it seems like every year is passing faster because 1 year's time becomes a smaller and smaller slice of my life as i continue to survive and travel around the sun. time is speeding up, it feels like. this can be shocking, for instance hearing that a favorite record is now 20 years old, this is shocking because there has been so much time between now and then, so many new experiences.

just as well there is the maxim "time flies when you're having fun". nobody says time flies when you are waiting in line at the bank. such an experience makes time seem to slow to a crawl. because your awareness of a static state of being is compounded, your focus enlarges, and your perception of time becomes more acute. you feel every second, every slow movement of the queue. imagine standing in a line like this for two hours solid. next, imagine seeing a movie that is 2 hours long. which do you think will be the "slower" experience?
I notice that time passes faster when I have music playing in the background.
this is why i think that fewer sensory experiences lead to a longer experience of time. with music, the brain is always moving, from one rhythmic or harmonic idea to the next, never really lingering on something for too long. if you are in a room with no music, your brain has less chance to be distracted by stimuli and more to contemplate it's own functions. once you linger on a thing for too long, it draws attention to itself, it draws attention to TIME. Family Guy famously used this phenomenon for it's "chicken fight" joke.

this is why drone music is repetitive, the repetitive nature of something inspires a longer sense of time. this is why rituals exist, by doing something over and over it engages some post-bodily consciousness. it is a sort of way to program the brain. if things are happening rapidly, you are constantly having a "new" experience, thus you don't have time to meditate on any one. repetition IMO unlocks something in the brain, which is usually preoccupied with the more new-new-new sensory world. yoga/meditation itself was conceived as a science of consciousness.

now scuse me while i hit this bowl...

Last edited:
Top Bottom