• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

adequate procedures to speed down your perception of time and focus more better

i disagree. for one thing, i look at my life, how as i get older, as i gain more and more new experiences, my total of previous experience accrued looks longer and longer. it seems like every year is passing faster because 1 year's time becomes a smaller and smaller slice of my life as i continue to survive and travel around the sun. time is speeding up, it feels like. this can be shocking, for instance hearing that a favorite record is now 20 years old, this is shocking because there has been so much time between now and then, so many new experiences.

just as well there is the maxim "time flies when you're having fun". nobody says time flies when you are waiting in line at the bank. such an experience makes time seem to slow to a crawl. because your awareness of a static state of being is compounded, your focus enlarges, and your perception of time becomes more acute. you feel every second, every slow movement of the queue. imagine standing in a line like this for two hours solid. next, imagine seeing a movie that is 2 hours long. which do you think will be the "slower" experience?

this is why i think that fewer sensory experiences lead to a longer experience of time. with music, the brain is always moving, from one rhythmic or harmonic idea to the next, never really lingering on something for too long. if you are in a room with no music, your brain has less chance to be distracted by stimuli and more to contemplate it's own functions. once you linger on a thing for too long, it draws attention to itself, it draws attention to TIME. Family Guy famously used this phenomenon for it's "chicken fight" joke.

this is why drone music is repetitive, the repetitive nature of something inspires a longer sense of time. this is why rituals exist, by doing something over and over it engages some post-bodily consciousness. it is a sort of way to program the brain. if things are happening rapidly, you are constantly having a "new" experience, thus you don't have time to meditate on any one. repetition IMO unlocks something in the brain, which is usually preoccupied with the more new-new-new sensory world. yoga/meditation itself was conceived as a science of consciousness.

now scuse me while i hit this bowl...

Now scuse me while I kiss the sky...

Cool though. Lack of sensory input is painful. Like, the wank jokes aside, trying to abstain from masturbation is really painful in this regard. Try the no-fap challenge (I try) and time just stares at you mocking you.

I'm not saying I have the answers, because practice is everything (do or do not there is no try). But I admire the way GAF maintains civil discourse.

Good luck Tesseract Tesseract !

MaestroMike

Gold Member
Diet is numero uno, bro-sapien. We are made of trillions of cells in constant need of nourishment to get sh!t done and theres a lot of nutrients and minerals that we need to make sure is in a steady supply for our body to feed off of. Luckily, there are ways to make sure food stays within our digestive tract for a good period amount of time and does not get absorbed too quickly. We don't want to overwork our liver and we want to give our body time to break down, process and extract the nutrients/minerals from the food that we consume. Fiber is one of the keys specifically the soluble fiber found in beans to slow down how fast food gets absorbed in our small intestines. Mix that with greens (kale) and frozen berries and flax/chia seeds along with walnuts or almonds. Do not forget to supplement with vitamin D and B12. (I also use 10 mg zinc tablets in one of my smoothies)

Heres some books on learning about all these different foods/nutrients and why they're important:

Plant-based diet for dummies

Eat to live by Dr. Fuhrman

The End of Heart Disease by Dr. Fuhrman

Nutrition Science and Applications (Smolin)

I spent a ton of hours reading these books (probably studied them for over a year and experimented like crazy with different combinations).

...I can offer some of my smoothie recipes that I consume on a daily basis if you wish.

Anyways, lot of people mainly eat a ton of carbs, the brain feeds on sugar for energy, if you eat more monounsaturated fats like from almonds or peanuts for energy, that will get less sugar for ur brain to feed on, and u wont think as much, but you will still be able to move and get sh!t done physically especially if u eat it with a big ol green salad with fruit. Also the rate that sugar gets to the brain decreases. You won't get easily hyped or mentally stimulated i.e. no sugar high but thats not a bad thing. Its good to think slow and give ur brain a break and not think so much. Thinking too much too fast can cause a great deal of inflammation. People you talk to might think ur slow, though, but u ain't ur just giving ur brain a rest.

Shrap

Something I've studied in depth is the unfortunate effects of internet usage on focus and attention span. A lot of this can be alleviated by doing long tasks each day without distraction. Even something as simple as watching a movie in its entirety without checking your phone or pausing can help.

A few suggestions:
-Do an hour of reading each day, once again without distractions or breaks.
-When using the internet try to avoid multitabbing; this fragments your attention and causes you to lose track of time (not to mention you'll likely open up new tabs and trap yourself in a neverending cycle).
-When learning something focus on memorising it and recollecting it in increasingly spaced out intervals; this prevents you offloading information and keeps your mind engaged in deep thinking.

You have to make a conscious effort with these but they will help you greatly and will eventually become habitual. It'll make you realise just how much time you actually have and how to make efficient use of it.

Tesseract

Banned
good information all, thanks

to my knowledge the literature on this is pretty weak

i know you need a balance between user capability and task difficulty over time such that yer neither too anxious nor too bored, but i'd like to go beyond that and reach a level where empathy is totally obliterated

maybe you cannot which is why they hop fighter pilots on go pills and the like, dunno

Top Bottom