• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

Luipadre

Gold Member
PS5 Pro won’t save this game unless it’s patched. They didn’t include an unlocked quality version - one of the reasons I hate locked 30 fps on consoles is that it doesn’t bulletproof games for next-gen.

I don’t know if you’ve tried performance mode after the latest patch but to me it looks quite better.

I tried performance mode today for the first time. Hopefully Remedy will patch the game for the pro

Hugare

Saga's Chapter 5 is spooky, damn

Like, really damn spooky.

"Walking around with eyes partially closed due to jump scares" kinda spooky

SCB3

Whats weird here is this feels like 2 different games in a good way, I'd be down to play a game thats full on Alan Wake's side and full on Saga's side

As for my current playthrough I'm on

The Oceanview Hotel, isn't the Oceanview Motel in Control?

K' Dash

would you guys recommend alternating Saga and Alan? so far the only time I played with Alan was when they introduced his story, now I'm on Sagas chapter 5 and wondering if I should finish her part first and then see Alan's.

amigastar

would you guys recommend alternating Saga and Alan? so far the only time I played with Alan was when they introduced his story, now I'm on Sagas chapter 5 and wondering if I should finish her part first and then see Alan's.
I'm playing through Saga's story first because i have the feeling it's not as spooky as Alan's story, but i may be wrong because Saga's part is already scary.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
I finished hers and then Alan.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

It's completely up to you whichever way you want to do it.

The way I did it was every time there was an End of Chapter card, I would find the nearest switch point and move to the other character. That way it wouldn't feel like I'm leaving one half of the story away for too long.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

Can anyone tell me who has played the first Alan Wake or the remastered version, is Alan Wake 2 a much better game? I started playing the remastered version of Alan Wake last night on PS5 and whilst I have only played about 30 minutes so far, it feels dated and looks like its going to be a walking simulator.

Does it get better? I'm really interested in Alan Wake 2, it looks amazing but if I don't end up liking the first one, am I going to not like the sequel?

Edit: I noticed already with the first one, it seems to have decent atmosphere, I felt a sense or urgency and scaredness to run away from multiple shadow enemies or whatever they are.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Can anyone tell me who has played the first Alan Wake or the remastered version, is Alan Wake 2 a much better game? I started playing the remastered version of Alan Wake last night on PS5 and whilst I have only played about 30 minutes so far, it feels dated and looks like its going to be a walking simulator.

Does it get better? I'm really interested in Alan Wake 2, it looks amazing but if I don't end up liking the first one, am I going to not like the sequel?
I heard the sequel has less action than the first game. So it might be more of a walking simulator.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Just imo, this game is everything I wanted after waiting 13 years. There's definitely less action though.
In AW1 got very repetitive because there were not that many enemy types, AW2 still has that problem but the good thing is they dont throw enemy at so you get tired of them that quickly.

I'm still playing with the graphic options, it seemed like the HDR is kinda fucked! It seem like their flickers, it's annoying, What are your settings if you have a 5800X3d and 4070ti?

Jedi0608

Had to take a break due to work, but just finished We Sing and oh my god that was a top 5 gaming experience for me. Utterly brilliant. There's really nothing like this from any other developer outside of Remedy and they should receive loads of praise for how they expertly crafted a rock opera musical into a fucking survival horror game. It just "works" because it fits the crazy reality of Alan's world. This is creative genius for a video game. I never want this experience to end.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Seems like a beefy game. I'm about 5 hours in and I feel like I've barely started. Game is stupid good looking too. Holy shit.

K' Dash

Just imo, this game is everything I wanted after waiting 13 years. There's definitely less action though.

Encounters are also harder, specially when they start throwing you 2 or 3 fuckers with mixed abilities... I just did a fight with 2 mini bosses at once and was completely unprepared, had to run, shoot and dodge A LOT. Died like 4 or 5 times until I got the hang of it with the limited items I had.

Nfactor_AF

Neo Member
Playing this maxed out at 4K/DLSS Q/RT+PT Max/Ultra is something else. RTX 4090 truly makes gaming magical. Alan Wake 2 is fucking awesome man, atmosphere and crazy scares are amazing in this game.

K' Dash

Just finished playing THAT PART this is me the whole time

shocked-magikarp-omg.gif

You know you've been fed too many sanitized, corporate reviewed, group tested, homogenized shit when you see the magic this game displays, not in a million years would someone do this game other than Remedy.

This game has just been elevated to GOTG contender, it's not just the graphics, it's everything else. The visuals are just the cherry on top... wow, just wow.

hinch7

About 5 hours in and honestly not enjoying it a whole lot. Will follow through towards to end to complete the story but the gameplay loop of slow burn 'survival' action a lot of walking around and patching in clues just isn't for me. The story too moves at a snails pace with not all that much happening. And can see where its all heading already.. :messenger_expressionless:

Hopefully it will pick up but not holding much hope. Shame, as I was really looking forward to this. Was one of my most anticipated games of the year, oh well.

Last edited:
Pretty sure I'm almost done with Alan's campaign, but I had to cut it short just now because the sun has risen IRL and it just feels wrong making my way through The Dark Place while the sun is shining outside. I'm weird, I know. I'll finish it tonight.

My thoughts so far: Narratively, this game is a 10/10. It's the culmination of everything Remedy has done over the years and it's quite glorious.

But from a gameplay standpoint, it very much feels like the studio's first attempt at survival horror. I'm not pretending to be an all-knowing arbiter of survival horror, but I have played quite a lot of them, and it's clear that there is room for improvement. One example off the top of my head is that the dynamic difficulty is far too generous, even on Hard difficulty - I'm at the point where I don't open containers anymore because my inventory and shoeboxes are overflowing lol

Still loving it overall though.

Rayderism

The trippiest thing about the "We Sing" chapter was how seamless the music was......it would actually wait for you to get to certain points before.....continuing.....with the song. You didn't hear any skips, hiccups or pauses, it just kept jammin' until you triggered the next verse. That was just freakin' awesome.

And the song gave me some serious Ayreon vibes. That is to say the song was pretty decent for a tune that was made up just for the game. It would be a shame if that sequence didn't win some kind of videogame award in the future.

adamsapple

I missed one squared questin mark in the subway. Is probably a chest?

Oh I think those are just points of interest, places where you can use writing to change the environments etc. Don't worry about missing anything there, the map isn't exactly 100% accurate either.

If it isn't the GOTY at every award event it is unbelievable.

I mean GOTY is too little for this game, it is a game that will mark its genre like Silent Hill 2 did, or like Mario 64 did or like FFVII did. A pure and majestic piece of art.
It's my GOTY (maybe even GOTG) but no way it wins many awards for it. BG3 will probably walk away with most of them.

SenkiDala

It's my GOTY (maybe even GOTG) but no way it wins many awards for it. BG3 will probably walk away with most of them.
Yeah I know that and BG3 seems awesome too (haven't had the change to play it yet) but AW2 deserves it so much. Remedy have been doing outstanding games since Max Payne and never got the praise they deserved, their games for a reason I don't get (maybe not enough ads) are always under the radar, nobody gave a fuck about Quantum Break (it was a GREAT game) and Control (exceptional game)... I wish AW2 gets all the love it deserves.

Yeah I know that and BG3 seems awesome too (haven't had the change to play it yet) but AW2 deserves it so much. Remedy have been doing outstanding games since Max Payne and never got the praise they deserved, their games for a reason I don't get (maybe not enough ads) are always under the radar, nobody gave a fuck about Quantum Break (it was a GREAT game) and Control (exceptional game)... I wish AW2 gets all the love it deserves.
Preaching to the choir my friend. So hyped for the Max Payne remakes now!

adamsapple

I'm trying to complete spider man 2 before I play this, but you lot are making it far too hard! Ffs

Fwiw I platinum/1000G both games and this is a far better experience to me.

Finish Spidey and make some free time for this, don't rush into AW2. Take your time exploring the world.

MacReady13

I find it weird. There's a clear path forward when you look at the map with maybe like one or two side rooms/areas. Main characters tells you want you need to do in their monologues. You can go to safe space and reference your notes. You can press Y to see your goals. It's all so clear...
No. The light once you enter the subway was stupid. I had to check online to see that on the streets you needed 1 light on and 1 light off to activate the light downstairs in the subway area? Where did it say that in the game? It kept telling me to go into the subway. That’s the only clue I had. I walked around the streets for an hour wasting time. And it was no better once you get underground into the subway.

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
No. The light once you enter the subway was stupid. I had to check online to see that on the streets you needed 1 light on and 1 light off to activate the light downstairs in the subway area? Where did it say that in the game? It kept telling me to go into the subway. That’s the only clue I had. I walked around the streets for an hour wasting time. And it was no better once you get underground into the subway.

It's called a puzzle. You were told what to do, it's on you that you failed to figure out how to do it.

Top Bottom