• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

Flabagast

Its funny, for once Alan Wake 2 is slightly less holding the hand of players about directions and objectives than other AAA games, and it’s incredible to see how many so called gamers are complaining about it.

I guess some people are really unable to do and to understand anything by themselves if they do not have their yellow paint, GPS and big objective markers at all time on the map. It’s pretty sad really, no wonder that most devs design their games as if their audience were dumb children.

Last edited:

Luipadre

Gold Member
Its funny, for once Alan Wake 2 is slightly less holding the hand of players about directions and objectives than other AAA games, and it’s incredible to see how many so called gamers are complaining about it.

I guess some people are really unable to do and to understand anything by themselves if they do not have their yellow paint, GPS and big objective markers at all time on the map. It’s pretty sad really, no wonder that most devs design their games as if their audience were dumb children.

Yep. I dont understand how anyone can stuck in this game if you paying attention and not scrolling your phone while playing

iorek21

It’s so weird that I can run Alan Wake’s chapters with DLSS quality + ray tracing at 30fps whilst in Saga’s part the framerate just melts in forests.

Funny thing is that most of the reflection stuff are only in Alan’s part.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Well, I'm on Alan wake and I've dropped spider man after doing a couple hours of side quests. Think ill complete Alan then get back to spider man. Or try to juggle both.

You won’t be disappointed. Lord Alan gives it to you good unlike Kraven morehead.

semiconscious

Gold Member
& done...

i think i began to realize that i was never going to like alan wake 2 around the time that alan
appears back in the tv studio for the second time
at that point, i understood that remedy wasn't just being somewhat self-indulgent in it's approach, but that the game was to fundamentally be an almost non-stop exercise in self-indulgence, essentially a 20+ hour, fireworks-filled in-joke that simply couldn't repeat itself, or 'loop', often enough, because, after all, weren't we all gathered here to worship & bask in the wonder that was alan wake? (which's a game i've greatly enjoyed & replayed, & feel, in it's sincerity, simplicity & charm, far surpasses this 'can't get enough of itself' homage)...

i struggled to finish it. all things 'loop' related considered, the ending couldn't've been more appropriate
writer stuck in the dark place because a hard price had to be paid spends 13 years attempting to write himself out, finally sees the light at the end of the tunnel, only to realize that a hard price has to be paid, resulting in him... continuing to be stuck?
something which, if you weren't already scratching your head & asking yourself 'but what in the hell was all this about?' should've at least tipped you off that remedy didn't really ever have any idea, either (well, other than attempting to cash in & pass off a load of highly detailed graphics, original music, previous gameplay, an unlikable new protagonist plus an unlikable new alan wake, & a random assortment of silliness, black & white hyper-edited scariness, obscure puzzles, & even more 'looping', as a unique, inspired, might i even say visionary 'work of art as game, game as work of art')...

unfortunately, being the uncultured simpleton i am, alan wake 2 simply came off more like a lavish, non-stop, no-holds-barred ode to narcissism. & absolutely an experience i really could've lived without...

Last edited:

Luipadre

Gold Member
It’s so weird that I can run Alan Wake’s chapters with DLSS quality + ray tracing at 30fps whilst in Saga’s part the framerate just melts in forests.

Saga's chapters runs like ass on PS5 too while Alan's chapters are stable

UnrealEck

Why are Tor and Odin
(both very caucasian men quite clearly) blood-related to
Saga
(who is quite clearly a black woman)?

or is there an explanation coming to kill my suspicions that it's because they made the script etc then
race-swapped Saga (I saw she used to be a white woman) for ESG score?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Why are Tor and Odin
(both very caucasian men quite clearly) blood-related to
Saga
(who is quite clearly a black woman)?

or is there an explanation coming to kill my suspicions that it's because they made the script etc then
race-swapped Saga (I saw she used to be a white woman) for ESG score?

Black father, white mother.

Don't overthink it.

UnrealEck

Black father, white mother.

Don't overthink it.
She looks
black not mixed though.
But that's just a minor thing, maybe they just didn't go into that detail with getting an actress.
But I wonder if it'll explain how Saga turned into a
black woman from a white woman.

If you don't see the difference between a black person saying that line vs a white person saying that line then you are ignorant as fuck. There's a perfectly good reason why much of black America feels unable to assimilate with "white America". You mention slavery, which was abolished 250 years ago, yes, but ignore that black American's didn't get equal rights until 60ish years ago. And even after that there was still horrific racism. It's much better today, but I don't understand how you don't grasp that it is reasonable for a black person to be skeptical of rural all-white community. There's a historic reason to feel that way

And fuck off with your "white people are being persecuted" bullshit. Who believes in that unless you are racist SOB?

I'm white fyi
it’s a sh*tty line no matter who (color) would say it. Get off the high horse. I’m Mexican fyi

sinnergy

Yup, stuck for 30 minutes , complain and run to the internet for help.. it’s the 24/7 non-stop generation .. big part of the world is like this now.. changed in the early 2000s. In the 80s and more in the 90s was stuck for days 🤣 felt like an accomplishment when I cracked the game.

Btw I like Allan Wake very much, just wandering around , and finding stuff . Solving it.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
She looks
black not mixed though.
But that's just a minor thing, maybe they just didn't go into that detail with getting an actress.

🙄

F4TS3SJa8AEoLdQ.jpeg

img.jpg

acm2000

You know there is way more to the RT in this game than reflections right? Go watch the latest digital foundry video.

K' Dash

Crappy charms. It's a waste of time

What? Some of them are really useful, I got one that increases quality and quantity of items found, increase health, revive you after dying, this one is specially useful since you usually can’t heal during combat, the animation is too slow.

Can’t stress enough that you need to really immerse yourself in the game, read everything and connect the dots, there are many things that are not explained directly, even if they handhold you sometimes, there’s people having issues with solving puzzles to advance the story.

This game requires that you take it slow and observe. It’s an amazing experience and change of pace from the usual curated, homogenized, group tested, corporate reviewed the games market is flooded with.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Crappy charms. It's a waste of time

Naw man, not all are the same useful but there's definitely some really good ones.

Plus completing the puzzles and getting all the charms lead to achievements/trophies if you want to be a completionist.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
What? Some of them are really useful, I got one that increases quality and quantity of items found, increase health, revive you after dying, this one is specially useful since you usually can’t heal during combat, the animation is too slow.
Naw man, not all are the same useful but there's definitely some really good ones.

Plus completing the puzzles and getting all the charms lead to achievements/trophies if you want to be a completionist.
idk I didn't find any charms useful at all. I didn't die once and all I had to do was stash tens of those crappy charms in the shoebox..
Maybe the only good one is for quality and qty of items but I honestly didnt notice much difference

K' Dash

idk I didn't find any charms useful at all. I didn't die once and all I had to do was stash tens of those crappy charms in the shoebox..
Maybe the only good one is for quality and qty of items but I honestly didnt notice much difference

You didn’t find them useful, that doesn't mean the rest won’t. Don’t pass your opinions as facts.

I liked the puzzles and the rewards, unlike another game released recently that ask you to collect tons of shit for meaningless cosmetic rewards or nothing at all.

Hugare

Guys, can anyone confirm me what the "point of no return" with Saga is?

"Cause my game might be bugged

At chapter 6 the game warns me that if I continue, I wont be able to go back to pick collectibles. I continued playing, and I am at the Anderson's concert at the lake

But the thing is, I'm still at like, Chapter 3 with Alan. My game bugged in his campaign, so I'm finishing with Saga first.

But should I be where I am right now? Or the game didnt block me and now I'll see the end game without playing Alan's whole story?

Luipadre

Gold Member
Guys, can anyone confirm me what the "point of no return" with Saga is?

"Cause my game might be bugged

At chapter 6 the game warns me that if I continue, I wont be able to go back to pick collectibles. I continued playing, and I am at the Anderson's concert at the lake

But the thing is, I'm still at like, Chapter 3 with Alan. My game bugged in his campaign, so I'm finishing with Saga first.

But should I be where I am right now? Or the game didnt block me and now I'll see the end game without playing Alan's whole story?
You'll be forced to go through the alan chapters. You cant miss chapters in this game

Hugare

You'll be forced to go through the alan chapters. You cant miss chapters in this game
Hope so, but I'm asking 'cause the game has been very buggy for me so far

I'll have to wait for Remedy to release a patch so I can continue with Alan. I'm hard locked at the Oceanview Hotel.

From what I've seen on Reddit, there are many players experiencing the same.

I'm loving the game, but this sucks, 'cause I wanted to alternate between Saga and Alan, and I wont be able to do this on my first playthrough.

Luipadre

Gold Member
Sucks to read that some people had so many issues. I completed the game on ps5 and aside of the bad framerate and 1 lod bug where a boat disappeared when i got close, i had a pretty bugfree experience. No crash, no hard lock or restarting game because of a bug

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Soooo.... it's been what... ~24 hrs I've been playing the game for at this point? Got through 60%-ish in both Saga and Alan story arcs (6 chapters in both out of 18 in total) and I gotta say and be completely honest about it - even though the game overall far better than original game, but gameplay-wise and outside of really cool reality narrative/changing stuff in Alan's campaing, just nowhere near as as fun to play as 3 modern Resident Evil remakes and AW2 is heavily inspired by them to the point that there's extremely similar inventory system and management, safe rooms where no one can do anything to you and where you can save the game, map is very similar and even UI is completely the same.

I mean, is it bad that they've decided to make the game more Resident Evil-ish? Absolutely not, especially considering that there's more than enough unique stuff here and the game feels waaaaay different and unique in comparison. But... actually playing the game, engaging with combat, exploring not huge (but still big) and very tube like environments (not hubs) with zero shortcuts to make it less tideous, boring and needessly long especially and mainly while playing as Saga (can't say the same about Alan's story) - are you seriously want me to go from one side of the big map (with nothing else to do there as I already found/opened/completed everything - or I just don't care) to the other just to get to the car, watch cutscene and go to the Bright Falls? It's like 5-6 min walk of doing nothing else, man, WTF?

I must say that Saga's story gameplay-wise is probably the weakest part of the game as it also does not have anything what Alan can do in his story, which is much more interesting gameplay-wise (not to mention that the Dark Place is way more interesting visually, in terms of atmosphere etc.). But even still, in both Saga and Alan's story combat is basically the same.... and it's not very good, actually it's exactly the same as in original game just with different camera perspective and it's not changing at all - everything you saw in the first 2-3 hours will be exactly the same 20-25 hours later and no, it's not bc there's very few enemy types (but there's indeed very few, just like in original game) and that there's very few weapons, it's just core combat is extremely mediocre and frustrating, especially when there's more that one enemy you need to fight and if there's 3 or 4.... I just don't like combat in this game at all, they've changed prerspective and made it more Resident Evil-ish, but at the same time all of the problems of original game are still here and showing their ugly face.

Alan's story overall is by far the best part of the game, cuz there's a lot more you can do and it's way, WAY more interesting than what Saga is doing in her story gameplay/exploration-wise. Yeah.... eventually you'll sort of get reality change thing while playing as Saga as well, but it's still not even close to what Alan has and what he can do, you'll even get some occasional shortcuts to move around locations quickly while playing as Alan., but you're still left with very boring and tideous exploration while playins as Saga with everything else I've mentioned above, so it's kinda changes nothing. So, during the first few hours I felt like it's one of the best games of this year, but the more I've played it... it's sort of become just one of the good, but not great or the best, well, as far as I am concerned anyway. I mean, just bc Alan's story is so good doesn't mean that Saga's stuff shoud't be taken into account and there's a lot in this game outside of Alan's story, so I can't just ignore and not count it while looking at the game as a whole - which you need to do and there's no way around it while you evaluate something with a critical eye.

Man, I hate to say it cuz there's a shit ton of cool stuff in this game which I really like, love even (mostly Alan's story of course and FBC stuff connecting the game to Control).... but overall, it's just not as good as Control was and still is, just nowhere near as good.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

hinch7

& done...

i think i began to realize that i was never going to like alan wake 2 around the time that alan
appears back in the tv studio for the second time
at that point, i understood that remedy wasn't just being somewhat self-indulgent in it's approach, but that the game was to fundamentally be an almost non-stop exercise in self-indulgence, essentially a 20+ hour, fireworks-filled in-joke that simply couldn't repeat itself, or 'loop', often enough, because, after all, weren't we all gathered here to worship & bask in the wonder that was alan wake? (which's a game i've greatly enjoyed & replayed, & feel, in it's sincerity, simplicity & charm, far surpasses this 'can't get enough of itself' homage)...

i struggled to finish it. all things 'loop' related considered, the ending couldn't've been more appropriate
writer stuck in the dark place because a hard price had to be paid spends 13 years attempting to write himself out, finally sees the light at the end of the tunnel, only to realize that a hard price has to be paid, resulting in him... continuing to be stuck?
something which, if you weren't already scratching your head & asking yourself 'but what in the hell was all this about?' should've at least tipped you off that remedy didn't really ever have any idea, either (well, other than attempting to cash in & pass off a load of highly detailed graphics, original music, previous gameplay, an unlikable new protagonist plus an unlikable new alan wake, & a random assortment of silliness, black & white hyper-edited scariness, obscure puzzles, & even more 'looping', as a unique, inspired, might i even say visionary 'work of art as game, game as work of art')...

unfortunately, being the uncultured simpleton i am, alan wake 2 simply came off more like a lavish, non-stop, no-holds-barred ode to narcissism. & absolutely an experience i really could've lived without...
Only about several hours in and it really feels like this should've been its own game and not a direct AW sequel. Just feels like a typical bait and switch for me.

Worst of all, it isn't really fun to play :/ way too much crap to get in the way of.. y'know playing it.

Last edited:

semiconscious

Gold Member
Only about several hours in and it really feels like this should've been its own game and not a direct AW sequel. Just feels like a typical bait and switch for me.

Worst of all, it isn't really fun to play :/ way too much crap to get in the way of.. y'know playing it.
yes, absolutely. featuring, maybe, an alan wake cameo, at most...

i'm hoping alan wake 2's just something that remedy had to get out of its system, & that they can now get back to making genuinely interesting games... i'm hoping...

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It is a great game for sure, but so far I HATE the combat. I seem to run out of ammo and enemies are absurd bullet sponges.

Doom85

She looks
black not mixed though.

Mixed people can have the general physical appearance of primarily one race even if it’s not common. Hell, take the twin brothers hitmen in the movie Bullet Train from last year:

Looking Aaron Taylor-Johnson GIF by Bullet Train

It‘s very unlikely for twins of a biracial couple to turn out that way, but it is possible and there are a few real world examples out there.

As for the other thing:

Quantum Break has to exist as an alternate universe for the main Remedy verse due to rights issues or something like that. So the Saga that appeared briefly there is an alternate version of AW 2’s Saga. Since the Loki series from Marvel had an alternate universe version of Loki that was an alligator, the Saga thing isn’t a big deal to me.

Especially because with the first thing discussed, her having biracial parents would justify even more one universe having her appear predominantly white and another universe having her appear predominately black.

Hugare

Man, I just found out that somehow I bypassed Saga's point of no return despite still being at Chapter 4 with Alan (due to a hard lock on his campaign)

What the fuck, Remedy

Even with Cyberpunk on PS4 I was able to finish the game

This has been my most bugged experience in a looong time with a game

So I was supposed to be locked out of the endgame until completing Alan's story. But I'm already at the end with Saga.

I'm at the summoning at Cauldron Lake, Chapter 7

And cant finish Alan's part due to a bug that hard locks progression

So my only choices are finishing the game without experiencing Alan's story to completion or waiting until Remedy patches the game

Fuck

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Man, I just found out that somehow I bypassed Saga's point of no return despite still being at Chapter 4 with Alan (due to a hard lock on his campaign)

What the fuck, Remedy

So I was supposed to be locked out of the endgame until completing Alan's story. But I'm already at the end with Saga.

So my only choices are finishing the game without experiencing Alan's story to completion or waiting until Remedy patches the game

Fuck
I don’t see this patch coming anytime soon.

You could restart , put it on piss easy, bum rush and skip the scenes you saw, don’t explore, then focus on only the Alan stuff. Once you’re locked out of anymore Alan stuff , go back to your main save and finish there.

raduque

What the fuck, Remedy

Fuck
No, you can get to the end of Saga's missions, but you can't complete the story without playing Alan's parts. Both sections come together after the "point of no return". All the "Point of no return" means, is that you won't be able to go back to any sections you missed exploring, like the woods or the towns or Coffee World, etc.

What's the bug you've run into?

Hugare

No, you can get to the end of Saga's missions, but you can't complete the story without playing Alan's parts. Both sections come together after the "point of no return". All the "Point of no return" means, is that you won't be able to go back to any sections you missed exploring, like the woods or the towns or Coffee World, etc.

What's the bug you've run into?
Will there be a message saying that its the end of Saga's missions? 'Cause everywhere on the internet I only found about her "Point of no return" that I have already passed by it.

Alan's bug is about the black and white points that you have to align in Oceanview Hotel's lobby. Its bugged, only the white point appears. The black one is nowhere to be seen, so I cant align them, making progression impossible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom