• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Fireteam Elite - Announce Trailer (Xbox One, Xbox Series, PS4, PS5, Steam)

Completed the first campaign. I had a blast. The environments and sound FX have been done with love and care the same as Alien Isolation. And thank god one developer remembered to make the Pulse Rifle chambers sound flutter. No it's not AAA, but for £35 quid I don't feel cheated. Looking forward to progressing tonight...alas it's wife's birthday so we have to go for a meal. Damn timing!

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Second campaign is what I was looking forward to the most and after finishing the first mission of that it's been great so far. Love what they've done with the planetside environments. Also the soundtrack is simply fantastic!

I was thinking the default difficulty would be a breeze but even that is providing to be a bit of a challenge every now and then. Don't even want to know what the game will be like on Nightmare with team damage enabled. Oof.

Second campaign is what I was looking forward to the most and after finishing the first mission of that it's been great so far. Love what they've done with the planetside environments. Also the soundtrack is simply fantastic!

I was thinking the default difficulty would be a breeze but even that is providing to be a bit of a challenge every now and then. Don't even want to know what the game will be like on Nightmare with team damage enabled. Oof.

Just finished first of 2nd campaign. I was sweating there. Lol. Remember to go into modifiers there's quite a bit of tinkering to be done on weapons and abilities. And I think this is the first game in ages where explosive barrels actually do anything. The flamethrower is glorious.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Aliens: Fireteam Elite not only has the authentic visual and sound effects from the series, but it also comes loaded with some great Aliens easter eggs to find. There are even cool little nods to other films and even games from the Alien universe, too. Here's what we found!

Spoilers below!

From the famous Aliens power loader to David's flute in Prometheus and a ship from Alien: Covenant, Aliens: Fireteam Elite comes with tons of easter eggs and references to the Aliens series. There are even some brilliant emotes like Bishop's knife trick and references to some of Corporal Hicks' famous quotes.

Last edited:

VN1X

Banned
Gave them a positive review on Steam. We've just finished the 2nd campaign and it's been great! Can't wait to get stuck in and play more.

Also, it's refreshing to load up a newly released game on PC without any major issues on launch day. Especially considering the budget/tier of game. It might be somewhat janky in places (animations, no NPC animations for the quest givers, etc) but I'm just glad it's not a technical mess and I don't have tinker with an ini files or settings lol.

Last edited:

JayK47

Oh wow, it is available on Steam. I am so used to most games being Epic exclusives, I just plan to buy all games a year or more after release. Now to convince my friends to buy it as well so we can coop.

been playing this for a large chunk of yesterday...its really fun to begin with but some of the later missions are boring as hell
i hope the dlc gives us some variety ...would love to see some more open areas like a planet or forest ect

MiguelItUp

Played with the AI through the first chapter. I'm having a fucking blast to be honest. It's exactly what I hoped it'd be, and a bit more. It's a shame that they weren't given a larger budget for this, because I'd love to see what they could've pulled off.

I'm hoping that the positive/decent reception does well for them, the game, and the IP. I'd love to see more chapters, modes, etc. Not just new cosmetics, etc. I'm sure that's planned, but man, I just hope we get some really cool stuff.

All in all, blast of a game, especially for budget AA title. Can't wait to play more!

Game isn't that bad, although I can't get into a game. I Don't hate going solo.
I think their servers have been slammed. The devs are looking into it though

makaveli60

I hate these type of games and I’m more into Alien than Aliens but it looks like the devs love the franchise and I like that aspect of it. To buy or not to buy?

I'm actually enjoying this game more than I thought I would. You definitely need to use your abilities and work as a team to get through some sections and the game is fairly difficult from the get go.

I was on 3 teams that got wiped out at the end of Chapter 1 mission 3. I finally got on a team that worked together to take down the drones that wiped out the previous groups and was finally able to get out. I think the mission structure is kinda weird in this section though since the escape route is behind you and you can easily not notice the objective change in the middle of fending off the crazy xeno horde.

I will say that I'm already kinda noticing the replayability will suffer since there is only one way each mission plays out. Each section spawns the same number of Xenos from the same spawn points. (Although I think difficulty changes the number of xenos spawning.)

MiguelItUp

I hate these type of games and I’m more into Alien than Aliens but it looks like the devs love the franchise and I like that aspect of it. To buy or not to buy?
If you're not into these type of games I wouldn't buy it anytime soon. Especially if you know these type of games aren't for you. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket and you wanna support the devs, haha.
I'm actually enjoying this game more than I thought I would. You definitely need to use your abilities and work as a team to get through some sections and the game is fairly difficult from the get go.

I was on 3 teams that got wiped out at the end of Chapter 1 mission 3. I finally got on a team that worked together to take down the drones that wiped out the previous groups and was finally able to get out. I think the mission structure is kinda weird in this section though since the escape route is behind you and you can easily not notice the objective change in the middle of fending off the crazy xeno horde.

I will say that I'm already kinda noticing the replayability will suffer since there is only one way each mission plays out. Each section spawns the same number of Xenos from the same spawn points. (Although I think difficulty changes the number of xenos spawning.)
It's a shame they couldn't incorporate a director-like AI to mix it up every time. I mean, it's understandable why they couldn't cause development cost and budget and all. It would've been great to see though!

makaveli60

If you're not into these type of games I wouldn't buy it anytime soon. Especially if you know these type of games aren't for you. Unless you have money burning a hole in your pocket and you wanna support the devs, haha.

It's a shame they couldn't incorporate a director-like AI to mix it up every time. I mean, it's understandable why they couldn't cause development cost and budget and all. It would've been great to see though!
I think I will wait for a decent sale and will buy it then. The Alien fan in me wants to check it out.

N30RYU

This game needs a FREE mode like ZombiU... where there's a 3 coop controlling the marines... and the 4th player controls where the Aliens spawn.

molasar

Banned
This game needs a FREE mode like ZombiU... where there's a 3 coop controlling the marines... and the 4th player controls where the Aliens spawn.

There is one issue with it. How to make gameplay enjoyable for the player who has a control over Aliens spawns in arcadey shooter.

N30RYU

There is one issue with it. How to make gameplay enjoyable for the player who has a control over Aliens spawns in arcadey shooter.
You could place Alien spawn points for the smaller ones and take direct control of the strongers.

MiguelItUp

game is currently at 84% positive reviews on steam. People seems to like it.
Mmm hmm. I'm happy for it all around. The overall reception has been pretty positive and that's great! Especially for a first project, let alone a AA budget one. Not sure how they got so lucky with such a big IP on their first go, but hey, happy for them nonetheless. Well, and the IP, haha.

KAOS

Aliens fan so the game is scratching that itch!

jocmVec.jpg

ZCckkh0.jpg

James Horner Classic Score is the only way to play with it as the bgm!

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Still bitter after Covenant. They need to finish strong on the 3rd prequel, if it ever gets made. Like all the nods in this game.
Covenant was just a terrible, terrible movie. Ridley Scott needs to never make another aliens movie. I don't think I've ever been as disappointed in a movie as I was coventant. Prometheus had it's problems, but the story it was telling was amazing. Covenant just shat all over it and turned it into even more dumb people doing dumb things + hastily throwing away all the good from prometheus + focusing on the single worst character the franchise has ever had.

Pretty sure the sequel to Covenant got shelved along with the franchise because of how bad it was.

Last edited:

jigglet

Banned
Covenant was just a terrible, terrible movie. Ridley Scott needs to never make another aliens movie. I don't think I've ever been as disappointed in a movie as I was coventant. Prometheus had it's problems, but the story it was telling was amazing. Covenant just shat all over it and turned it into even more dumb people doing dumb things + hastily throwing away all the good from prometheus + focusing on the single worst character the franchise has ever had.

Pretty sure the sequel to Covenant got shelved along with the franchise because of how bad it was.

You and I have the exact same opinion. Prometheus was very flawed but had potential. Covenant was...what the fuck?

I had already lost all interest by the half way point, but the bit that made me want to punch my TV was when the two AI's (David?) went mano-a-mano. I mean here we are with two highly intelligent beings...I was expecting an incredibly cerebral face off. A battle of the minds to rival The Princess Bride (jokes). But what did we get? A fucking bar fight. Wow. I was expecting David to say "dah fuck u say cunt? I'm smash u up good"

Last edited:

Von

Glad it’s being received well, mostly, by us fans of this beloved franchise.

Now make us a proper Aliens Vs Predator game like the original Dark Horse (late 80s-early 90s) comics where I can hunt, harvest and display my xeno trophies in my ship as I please. Maybe develop some sort of Nemesis type system like the Shadow of Mordor/War games have (I know it’s patented now) but something where certain hives would remember your actions as you kill their members.

And by harvest, I meant by capturing a queen, dumping her off on a planet to lay eggs, facehuggers find their hosts, xenos are born and we start the hunt in jolly Predator cooperation.

Yeah I’m not sure if Ridley and his son thought they would have 3-4 more movies to make in this series, but the writing was just shite. Prometheus was probably overwritten, so it’s just a bummer that Covenant was such a weak response. Prometheus is a fine sci-fi film and put some nice conceptual and original meat in the franchise (that was needed I think), but then pissed most of it away.

I think Ridley is old af and Fox also wanted to try and push a typical Xeno story for sales, but who knows. I think they both made money in the end, considering people like me still by the 4k Blu-ray’s. I could rant about that shit forever.

Optimus Lime

(L3) + (R3) | Spartan rage activated
Mmm hmm. I'm happy for it all around. The overall reception has been pretty positive and that's great! Especially for a first project, let alone a AA budget one. Not sure how they got so lucky with such a big IP on their first go, but hey, happy for them nonetheless. Well, and the IP, haha.
Your enthusiasm for this game, mixed with my nostalgia for the franchise, convinced me to give it a go. I got it cheap from Gamersgate, and since I'm locked down, I thought it would be fun.

Turns out, you were right and I was wrong! This is actually pretty fun, and a great recreation of the atmosphere of Aliens. It still has the AA seams, but considering that it is a mid-tier game, they are clearly punching above their weight, since it looks great and sounds great. So, my cynicism towards this title was misplaced, and you were right.

Anyone else here read Eurogamer's review?

Aliens: Fireteam Elite review - throwaway thrills • Eurogamer.net

The opening paragraph is one of the most stupid things I've ever read:

'While undoubtedly a triumph, Alien: Isolation never felt like a true Alien experience to me. Yes. Amanda Ripley is a badass and wholly worthy to carry her similarly badassed mother's name, but creeping around to avoid a single - and singularly terrifying - Alien, I never felt like a real Ripley. Tip-toeing from room to room, cramming myself into lockers to hyperventilate quietly until the monstrosity retreats again just makes me feel cowardly.'

This idiot has clearly never seen 'Alien'. Another great moment in gAmEs jUrrnAliZM.

VN1X

Banned
Holy shit, there's new enemies if you stick the game on intense or higher. We've been wiped twice now on the same part lol.

This game's no walkover.

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Played another 2 missions today and yeh I'm loving it. There has never been a better representation of a marines vs aliens showdown in games than this. The sounds and visuals are just phenomenal. Sucks that matchmaking is broken because it's quite hard with just AI.

Romulus

Played another 2 missions today and yeh I'm loving it. There has never been a better representation of a marines vs aliens showdown in games than this. The sounds and visuals are just phenomenal. Sucks that matchmaking is broken because it's quite hard with just AI.

PC or console?

Top Bottom