• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Games Should Be Pushing The Graphic Barrier

Because of graphics? I play games to have fun and as long they give me that then I'm happy, I dont give rat ass about how high tech graphics are.
You can’t play a game without graphics literally. The way characters are made and look and animate it’s all graphics. The way a level play out from each object from each section is all graphic design. Any weapons loot collectibles are all graphics. You can have two games with the same exact gameplay but two different graphics and that’s enough to sell it separately. Two games with the same exact graphics and different gameplay is a lawsuit.

Last edited:

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
You can’t play a game without graphics literally. The way characters are made and look and animate it’s all graphics. The way a level play out from each object from each section is all graphic design. Any weapons loot collectibles are all graphics. You can have two games with the same exact gameplay but two different graphics and that’s enough to sell it separately. Two games with the same exact graphics and different gameplay is a lawsuit.
You made entire thread how you are not happy with current visuals, I can tell you that I don’t give a rats ass about if the graphics are high tech or not. Games like TotK and Elden Ring great art direction and great gameplay without needing to look “next gen”.

If you expecting me or most people cry about graphics not looking “next gen “ then you will be disappointed.

MarkMe2525

I cant believe I missed this thread... I appreciate the bump. While I appreciate the stream of consciousness post, has the OP ever heard of a paragraph. It's like 5 separate thoughts crammed into 13 consecutive run on sentences.

Solarstrike

2R5BCM3.png

Yes.

Laieon

Last edited:
I cant believe I missed this thread... I appreciate the bump. While I appreciate the stream of consciousness post, has the OP ever heard of a paragraph. It's like 5 separate thoughts crammed into 13 consecutive run on sentences.
Now I’m on your head. “Cant” is missing an apostrophe. “I missed this thread…” Proper sentence would be: I did not see this thread before today. “Has the OP ever heard of a paragraph.” That’s a question. Where’s your question mark? That last sentence is missing so much punctuation. I said all this to say, don’t be a hypocrite.
HNLpXQP.png

Last edited:

No such thing. Give me more Wind Wakers and Katamari Damacys.
Nintendo gets a pass. Can’t go too realistic with Mario and Kirby. It’ll be like that one Simpson episode when they crossed over into the real world.

Gambit2483

Not all games have the team size, talent or budget to "break the graphical barriers"...nor do they need to. I've had more fun with some of the least technically/graphically impressive games than games that "break the barrier".

Fun has nothing to do with graphics.

MarkMe2525

Now I’m on your head. “Cant” is missing an apostrophe. “I missed this thread…” Proper sentence would be: I did not see this thread before today. “Has the OP ever heard of a paragraph.” That’s a question. Where’s your question mark? That last sentence is missing so much punctuation. I said all this to say, don’t be a hypocrite.
HNLpXQP.png
You are on my head?

K2D

Banned
Sounds like OP should be funding games development.

Graphics are a diminishing return on investment.

Meanwhile I'll be playing Wii games, and the best game thus far this year will be Tears of the Kingdom in 900p and lack luster image quality, and be happy about it.

kondorBonk

You're still young, that's your fault
There's so much you have to know
Find a girl, settle down
If you want you can marry
Look at me, I am old
But I'm happy

Tg89

Nah. Probably the least important aspect of a game outside of story. Huge diminishing returns on graphics. And you're appealing to a bunch of nerds who will just put the game on their TV, admire it for a bit and probably never actually play through it. They'll also NEVER stand the test of time - great gameplay will.

Graphics are fine at this point, outside of games that completely drop the ball technically (and those games tend to suck in other ways anyhow). I can't think of a single game that I didn't play just because the graphics were bad.

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Good art direction trumps everything.

finger-1.jpg

finger-2.jpg

^^This is probably actually really heavy to run, so maybe it is pushing the limits of graphics even if it doesnt exactly look like The Callisto Protocol.

645b300046f20.jpg

Cant wait for Mouse to get finished....looks awesome, i hope they find a publisher soon.

Neo_GAF

Banned
not sure, what you want to push at this point. you have 4k games and then there is RTX, where i barely see the difference, i dunno what i want to see.

why isnt there more cel-shading stuff going on?

Annnnd after this Sony showcase people agree with Spider-Man 2 not looking too much different than the last game . People also are agreeing on wanting games that push the PS5! When is this generation actually going to start?

Top Bottom