• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony's Partnership with Square Enix Has Never Been Stronger, Says Jim Ryan

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
final-fantasy-16-ps5-playstation-5-1.large.jpg

PlayStation bigwig Jim Ryan made a surprise appearance during Final Fantasy 16’s pre-launch livestream overnight, where he said that his company’s relationship with publisher Square Enix has “never been stronger”. In the brief speech, he mentioned that Sony’s collaboration with the company “goes back to the start of PlayStation’s existence” and that he values “everything we do together and your commitment to our brand and business”.

If you read between the lines you could come to the conclusion that more console exclusives may be coming – at this point, we honestly wouldn’t be surprised if Kingdom Hearts 4 got money hatted as well.

Either way, it’s clear that the two juggernauts are thick as thieves right now. It’ll be interesting to see how this relationship matures throughout the remainder of the generation.

That's just PR talk. Objectively it isn't true.

During the PS1 days literally every game was a PS1 exclusive, even with the PS2 almost every game was a PS2 exclusive and Sony at a point owned a large percentage of Square (I believe it was 18 percent). Sony also distributed
Square's Final Fantasy film.

The idea that their partnership has never been stronger while a number of games release on the Switch exclusively and MOST of their games are multiplatform, I just think it's a bit nonsense.

feynoob

Banned

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Should only be bought if they really needed to be, they make some dumb choices (stupid NFT bullshit they are chasing being just one) but they aren't at that point quite yet.
Jimbo and Herman could be very interested

Corndog

Banned
Yeah, no shit dude we all know that. Thanks for stopping games certain games on Xbox. It gets one FF7 game but not the others, that’s just a dick move same with FF16 but hey you guys are scared cuse MS is gonna dominate if they buy Activision.
What ff7 game? That prequel?

Is there any real reason why Sony hasn't just bought SQEX yet? Just money?
They're lively acting the WillTheyWon'tThey trope here.

93xfan

Banned

During the PS1 days literally every game was a PS1 exclusive, even with the PS2 almost every game was a PS2 exclusive and Sony at a point owned a large percentage of Square (I believe it was 18 percent). Sony also distributed

The idea that their partnership has never been stronger while a number of games release on the Switch exclusively and MOST of their games are multiplatform, I just think it's a bit nonsense.
Maybe he just delivered them another bag of money.

Banned

what I'm counting down to? Microsoft buying them to fuck with everyone 🤣🤣🤣😈

just imagine, imagine the chaos! the anger! the twitter breakdowns! IT WOULD BE GLORIOUS!

Last edited:

Loxus

At some point all those deals will mount up to a large sum. Might as well aquire them to save money in the long-term.

EDMIX

Buy them for what? Much smarter to pick and choose games to moneyhat. These guys put out fuckin Balan Wonderworld not that long ago.

Nah, I'd say the real reason not to buy them, would be that those games move the most units on PS anyway, it means the majority install base of those fans, buy those games on PS.

Thus...they will buy a PS, to play those games and it makes maybe less sense to buy Square, for something they already have the majority of. A purchase however could make sense for some long term insurance of something if they felt they wanted to lock down that IP to continue to insure PS fans got those titles first or only got those titles or something.

I greatly disagree.

Please folks, stop forcing this console warrior stuff into this and careful look at what is being stated.... putting games on Switch doesn't mean their partnership with PS isn't strong or something, they can have a strong partnership with both and its only some of you that forced that idea that it MUST be a FIGHT TO THE DEATH either or (gerrrrrrr) lol

Nothing here states anything like that to rush to that assumption btw.

With several of their titles only coming to PS and Sony involved in a few marketing deals with them, Jim says its never been stronger, they must have something good going on for him to state this.

bitbydeath

To be fair, that was Squaresoft and not Square Enix :messenger_winking:

I greatly disagree.

Please folks, stop forcing this console warrior stuff into this and careful look at what is being stated.... putting games on Switch doesn't mean their partnership with PS isn't strong or something, they can have a strong partnership with both and its only some of you that forced that idea that it MUST be a FIGHT TO THE DEATH either or (gerrrrrrr) lol

Nothing here states anything like that to rush to that assumption btw.

With several of their titles only coming to PS and Sony involved in a few marketing deals with them, Jim says its never been stronger, they must have something good going on for him to state this.

Sony used to literally publish games for Square in different regions.

Again there is no objective truth to this statement and it has nothing to do with console wars.

Are several of their titles coming only to PS? They used to ALL come only to PS. Objectively, that isn't a stronger relationship.

Sony used to heavily market Square Enix games as well.

There's nothing "good going" it's just fluffery and hyperbole, as I said, it's PR talk that when put up against an objective lens, simply isn't true.

EDMIX

Sony used to literally publish games for Square in different regions.

Again there is no objective truth to this statement

I disagree

You can help someone out when they are in a time of need like publishing a game, marketing it with like 100 million (historic and changed the landscape of AAA gaming)

and afterwards still have a strong relationship when they no longer need to publisher their games or something. A strong relationship isn't and shouldn't be tied to this idea of co-dependency as if they NEED to be on their last legs at all times or something in order to feel its a strong partnership. Look at Capcom, at one point and time Sony was funding like several projects when Capcom was literally entertaining selling off some of their IP (dark days btw), they are in a better place now, but thats like saying their partnership is "less strong" cause now they are not in this state of almost shutting down or some shit.

Sony used to heavily market Square Enix games as well.

lol they literally still do.

So if Sony feels this way about Square and they have several deals in place and Square doesn't give a shit either, I'm not sure why you think its some secret conspiracy or something or not true.

Top Bottom