• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ampere Estimatez: PS5 sold 21 million, Xbox Series sold 13.8 million.

yazenov

Surprise surprise. I mean is anyone surprised that PS5 nearly 2x the Xbox yet again even when its severely under supplied due to stock issues?

PS5 would easily more than 2x Xbox again if supply was available. Its only a matter of time. Its not a question of if, but when, given the global demand of the PS5 compared to the limited demand of Xbox in specific countries such as the US and UK.

Nothing has changed since last generation as some would like to believe. Its the continuation of the Sony dominance.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Why would GP, that excludes online gaming in its base tier, not be compared?

So Sony at 47M is losing, and MS at less than 25M is winning?

Confused Schitts Creek GIF by CBC

so should we compare the tier for Sony that includes PC gaming to? or the tier that includes day one releases? oh wait

Zathalus

Surprise surprise. I mean is anyone surprised that PS5 nearly 2x the Xbox yet again even when its severely under supplied due to stock issues?

PS5 would easily more than 2x Xbox again if supply was available. Its only a matter of time. Its not a question of if, but when, given the global demand of the PS5 compared to the limited demand of Xbox in specific countries such as the US and UK.

Nothing has changed since last generation as some would like to believe. Its the continuation of the Sony dominance.
Man, you guys are really bad at maths.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Even with price increase ps5 will outsell Xbox by a wide margin. Ps5 expensive bundles are outselling xbox standalones, and that's with stock issues. And retailers are even putting discounts and bundling on Xbox consoles at RRP to get them off shelves in the uk one of Xboxs strongest market.

Casual market don't care about power, even ms aren't using power as a huge marketing point, move on my man you are bringing poor man arguements from 2020.

Sony exclusives easily stomp over sea of mediocre games that comes out of Bethesda. Starfall is the only hope in the near future and that shit looks underwhelming.
Well both are outselling so obviously playstation have been able to make more consoles.

Oh really sony games stomp over Microsoft games, dude stop chatting shit. They both have strengths and weaknesses in terms of first party, but if the acti-blizz deal goes through Xbox will have many more great games.

Riky

$MSFT
That's how numbers work, yes. If MS goes from 25m to 26m, that's growth. If Sony goes from 47m to 46m, that's a loss.

Paid online and a game library service are two separate things. All forms of GP include the game library, I have strong feeling that a good number of the PS+ subs do not. LOL

I wouldn't listen to anything he says, Gamepass passed 25 million back in January and MS has reported subscriber growth since then, on the way to 30 million now.

https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2022/01/18/welcoming-activision-blizzard-to-microsoft-gaming/

Bo_Hazem

Banned
so should we compare the tier for Sony that includes PC gaming to? or the tier that includes day one releases? oh wait

Same question for GamePass could be asked, you know that some games come to GamePass PC but not console, right? Also can't play online after paying $100/year? That's literally PS Extra pricetag that includes online gaming + PS Essential 3-4 monthly free games.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Same question for GamePass could be asked, you know that some games come to GamePass PC but not console, right? Also can't play online after paying $100/year? That's literally PS Extra pricetag that includes online gaming + PS Essential 3-4 monthly free games.

also can't get the game library if your only paying £49.99 per year. Sony are fudging the numbers with PS+. for years everybody on PS side has gone on and on about Microsoft fudging numbers for gamepass by deals and assorts and out of the gate Sony fudges the numbers by including the pay to play online in the same numbers as the sub service to make it look good

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Sony's first party games are what sales consoles. None of what you mentioned matters in the grand scheme.
It absolutely matters console sucess is determined by various factors, never just one. Call of duty, starfield, elder scrolls, Doom etc also sells consoles as well as gamepass which is the best value seen in gaming, ever....

Sony makes good games and it markets them better, but they are not without there issues.
Spiderman had a great story and the gameplay is good, but the open world lacked depth and interactivy.
With God of war some people prefered the old style, they disliked the confusing menus and upgrading systems, the game itself was also a bit tedious with hours and hours of combat.
Thay was my criticism with TLOU2 killing hundreds of baddies does grow a bit tedious after like 12hrs of doing so, so its a bit of a pacing issue.

Sony games are not some perfect thing. They are very good, great even, but so are a lot of Microsoft games.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
also can't get the game library if your only paying £49.99 per year. Sony are fudging the numbers with PS+. for years everybody on PS side has gone on and on about Microsoft fudging numbers for gamepass by deals and assorts and out of the gate Sony fudges the numbers by including the pay to play online in the same numbers as the sub service to make it look good

Where.Are.The.Official.Numbers?

Seems like it already happened and I wasn't catching up to updates.

Last edited:
Sony always made the numbers of PS+ subscribers and PS Now public even when the numbers of PSNow were pretty underwhelming. Let's se how they show up on their next financial report now that PS+ has multiple tiers. PlayStation numbers are really important for Sony investors so it not like they can get away with hiding those numbers.

MS is the one that hides this type of information. We haven't heard about Live Gold subscribers in ages.

Last edited:

Stuart360

also can't get the game library if your only paying £49.99 per year. Sony are fudging the numbers with PS+. for years everybody on PS side has gone on and on about Microsoft fudging numbers for gamepads buy deals and assorts and out of the gate Sony fudges the numbers by including the pay to play online in the same numbers as the sub service to make it look good
I know Bo is just baiting but i honestly thought Sony fanboys wouldnt start this kind of talk, after Sony bundled the sub service with their paid online, basically completely fudging their sub numbers., i thought even they would of thought its too cringly to do that.
I guess i gave them too much respect.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I know Bo is just baiting but i honestly thought Sony fanboys wouldnt start this kind of talk, after Sony bundled the sub service with their paid online, basically completely fudging their sub numbers., i thought even they would of thought its too cringly to do that.

Behave now, Red Devil. Be ready for tomorrow's match, mate.

It still begs the question though: Why base tier GamePass doesn't include GOLD and costs as much as PS+ Extra yearly? Isn't that a viable question? Both are $100/yr with one offering much more.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
When you consider how terrible the first two years of this generation were for Xbox in terms of game output it's not that bad.

The whole theory that the Series S was some sort of genius move that would close the gap has no basis in reality tho, it wasn't able to help that much even with ample stock and deals.
The series s was supposedly outselling the XSX last year. its possible the majority of consoles sold are xss. If it wasnt for xss, the xbox would likely be around 6 million units instead of 13.

Sosokrates

Sonys lead over XBOX console sales has reduced 50% and its only going to get worse.

And casuals neither give a damn about exclusives.
Yep casual hate Pokemon, Mario, Spider-man, God of War, Uncharted, The Last of Us, etc.

The series s was supposedly outselling the XSX last year. its possible the majority of consoles sold are xss. If it wasnt for xss, the xbox would likely be around 6 million units instead of 13.
Well, that's a shame I think the XSX is a much better console compared to how bad the XSS is. I wouldn't be surprised if many of these XSS buyers end up upgrading to a PS5 eventually, the fact that they are mostly using Gamepass makes it really easy for them to cut ties with Xbox and move to another ecosystem, it's very different from last gen where you built your own library of games.

Last edited:

Stuart360

Behave now, Red Devil. Be ready for tomorrow's match, mate.

It still begs the question though: Why base tier GamePass doesn't include GOLD and costs as much as PS+ Extra yearly? Isn't that a viable question? Both are $100/yr with one offering much more.
The Liverpool match gave me a sprinkling of joy Bo,now we just need another win, and another, and another!.:messenger_ogre::messenger_ogre::messenger_ogre:

Riky

$MSFT
You mean Sony's phony numbers that include base PS+ online only subs which are most likely the majority compared to Xbox Game Pass subs which do not include online only subs.

Didn't Sony actually give us the real picture?

"Sony says that over the past five years, Xbox Game Pass has grown to capture around 60 to 70 percent of the worldwide subscription services market."

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Long time ago Sony used to bundle PS2, PS3 and PSP count into their "Sony family of products" when Wii was outselling everything. So it's not beneath them to hide numbers too. They had already stopped reporting PS Now sub count in May 2021 when they used to report it regularly.

As for Bo, I think he just misses all the fan warrior stuff GAF had more of before many warriors got permabanned. And that other site many resorted to posting in is dead. I check it here and there and there's been times the user count on the front page said "6 members online". Ya, you heard that right. Single digits. It's not much fun trolling or baiting when a site is comprised of 80% permabanned GAF members from the same side.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

so they are well past 15 million. I reckon 17-20 million for Series consoles.
I feel it's higher than what is posted in the OP as well but...
Can you give us some receipts for this significantly higher amount/claim you are making?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Long time ago Sony used to bundle PS2, PS3 and PSP count into their "Sony family of products" when Wii was outselling everything. So it's not beneath them to hide numbers too. They had already stopped reporting PS Now sub count in May 2021 when they used to report it regularly.

As for Bo, I think he just misses all the fan warrior stuff GAF had more of before many warriors got permabanned. And that other site many resorted to posting in is dead. I check it here and there and there's been times the user count on the front page said "6 members online". Ya, you heard that right. Single digits. It's not much fun trolling or baiting when a site is comprised of 80% permabanned GAF members from the same side.

Happy I Love You GIF by Warner Bros. Deutschland

VGChart shows somewhere between 22 mil vs 16 mil

None of it matters since MS wont release official numbers and its all estimates anyhow

https://www.vgchartz.com/article/45...22-sales-comparison-charts-through-august-13/

I'm more confused why even even posted VGchartz numbers.

Hadn't Xbox 360 outsold Xbox One at this point though?

July 2007

"In a conference call, Microsoft CFO Chris Liddell said 11.6 million Xbox 360 consoles were shipped by the deadline of June 30. Before downgrading its estimate to 12 million, Microsoft initially announced 13-15 million units would be shipped."

[/URL]

No. July 2007 would be 7 months after Xbox One sold 13-14 million.

Whats the point in making a thread only to say the information is incorrect?

Because it's being reported by the press as credible, and it's being brought up in discussions everywhere? Now people will know that based on Microsofts own words, including the CEO, and the data of the Xbox One, the numbers are too low.

It also gives us an idea of where the floor is.

There is nothing fishy about Ampere's numbers based on what MS said. At this point in the Xbox 360 lifecycle, Microsoft reported 11.6 million units shipped.
[/URL]

So Ampere's numbers are right in line with that.

And we also have to account that Ampere is more than likely reporting sold through numbers which are less than shipped numbers.

it's fishy because the Xbox One was ahead of 360 aligned with that, and the Xbox Series is above the Xbox One.

The confusion is people keep thinking of the 360's LTD but not how it sold the first two years. It's the same thing that makes people believe that the Xbox One launch was bad when it wasn't.

Fredrik

There is nothing fishy about Ampere's numbers based on what MS said. At this point in the Xbox 360 lifecycle, Microsoft reported 11.6 million units shipped.

So Ampere's numbers are right in line with that.

And we also have to account that Ampere is more than likely reporting sold through numbers which are less than shipped numbers.
Interesting so the 15 million figure seen on some old graphs was just unofficial guestimates?

Edit: What about Xbox One? Series is ahead there. Are there any official figures?

”Tracking ahead” only tell where the floor is though. I wish they would show official figures, and the Series X and S split.

Last edited:

Wohc

Banned
I wish we get the split of SS and SX. Even vgchartz is not giving those numbers lol
We probably will never know. But i guess X leads for now and when the casuals have to upgrade the S will take the lead. If i remember it right after their releases PS4 and Xbox One outsold Pro and One X 4:1 or something like this. Casuals love to save some bucks.

Woopah

The main thing that has changed is that Switch is a much stronger competitor than the Wii U. But I guess that depends on which generation Switch is in.

Topher

Gold Member
Interesting so the 15 million figure seen on some old graphs was just unofficial guestimates?

”Tracking ahead” only tell where the floor is though. I wish they would show official figures, and the Series X and S split.

Anything after Xbox One's 10 million shipped (not sold) is a guess. Yeah, official numbers would be nice.

I'm more confused why even even posted VGchartz numbers.

No. July 2007 would be 7 months after Xbox One sold 13-14 million.

Because it's being reported by the press as credible, and it's being brought up in discussions everywhere? Now people will know that based on Microsofts own words, including the CEO, and the data of the Xbox One, the numbers are too low.

It also gives us an idea of where the floor is.

it's fishy because the Xbox One was ahead of 360 aligned with that, and the Xbox Series is above the Xbox One.

The confusion is people keep thinking of the 360's LTD but not how it sold the first two years. It's the same thing that makes people believe that the Xbox One launch was bad when it wasn't.

Fair enough, but you still have to take into account shipped (or sold to retailer) vs sold through to customers. That 10 million number for Xbox One was not sold through to customers. The numbers Microsoft used to report were shipped. So Xbox Series X has shipped more than both Xbox One and Xbox 360 had shipped. But Ampere is reporting numbers sold through to customers. So those numbers are not going to line up.

The main thing that has changed is that Switch is a much stronger competitor than the Wii U. But I guess that depends on which generation Switch is in.
The 3DS was still around at that time selling a lot as well. Nintendo mostly competes indirectly against Xbox and PlayStation.

Last edited:
Why is people bringing vgchartz? They have no sources. Even if they have access to Sony's sales every 3 months they still miss the real sales by over a million at the end of each PlayStation trimester. Imagine Xbox which don't release sales lmao

Top Bottom