• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ampere Estimatez: PS5 sold 21 million, Xbox Series sold 13.8 million.

Fredrik

Fair enough, but you still have to take into account shipped (or sold to retailer) vs sold through to customers. That 10 million number for Xbox One was not sold through to customers. The numbers Microsoft used to report were shipped. So Xbox Series X has shipped more than both Xbox One and Xbox 360 had shipped. But Ampere is reporting numbers sold through to customers. So those numbers are not going to line up.
Shipped and sold-through to customers is always going to be a difference we can’t actually know. I mean this gen we have scalpers sitting on consoles as well, Series X is only just recently starting to exist on store shelves in my country, meanwhile Series S has been sitting on shelves since launch. I guess the only way to know how many that has actually been powered up is by peeking into some server data for firmware updates. But then there are people who never go online too.

mansoor1980

Gold Member
IF THOSE NUMBERS ARE REAL , THEN..................................

3TMmNKC.gif

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Posting for the new page again, it was tracking 12m + in January. It is very unlikely it has only sold 1.8m units since then. Ampere's numbers are off.

Unfortunately MS will probably never reveal official numbers so let the gif party continue.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Why is people bringing vgchartz? They have no sources. Even if they have access to Sony's sales every 3 months they still miss the real sales by over a million at the end of each PlayStation trimester. Imagine Xbox which don't release sales lmao
No one has any sources, the only source we had is word from MS that XsX+S are the best selling launch alligned.

And considering the X1 sold 18-19mill by jan 16, it does not seem far fetched.

"In January 2016, CFO of Electronic Arts Blake Jorgensen reported during a financial call that the Xbox One had sold "around 18 to 19 million" units."

Fredrik

It was tracking over 12 million in January. Ampere's numbers seem off unless they've only sold 1.8 m xboxes since then, which we all know is not likely.

It’s all guessing anyway, NPD, Ampere, Vgcharts, has anyone ever explained their process to get the figures? for all we know they might have like 1% actual ww data and just extrapolate on that 🤷‍♂️

DaGwaphics

It still begs the question though: Why base tier GamePass doesn't include GOLD and costs as much as PS+ Extra yearly? Isn't that a viable question? Both are $100/yr with one offering much more.

Because it still includes day one games and is still the superior service. :messenger_beaming:

The better question is why did Sony view their PS+ Extra tier as only worth $40 a year on top of the base.

Topher

Gold Member
Posting for the new page again, it was tracking 12m + in January. It is very unlikely it has only sold 1.8m units since then. Ampere's numbers are off.

Unfortunately MS will probably never reveal official numbers so let the gif party continue.

No, his numbers could be accurate. Those are shipped numbers. Ampere is probably reporting sold through. Those are not going to line up.

Kagey K

Banned
It’s all guessing anyway, NPD, Ampere, Vgcharts, has anyone ever explained their process to get the figures? for all we know they might have like 1% actual ww data and just extrapolate on that 🤷‍♂️
As long as MS keeps saying higher than 360 we at least have a minimum as they reported sales numbers back then. If they ever stop saying 360 it'll be pure speculation based on trying to figure out how many X and S out of revenue numbers.

adamsapple

Key word is 'shipped'

No, his numbers could be accurate. Those are shipped numbers. Ampere is probably reporting sold through. Those are not going to line up.

The article linked in the tweet says sold. Zhuge is building off that if its the fastest selling xbox it would have shipped more than a certain amount. And I don't realistically believe they've only sold 1.8m since that january estimate. 🤷‍♂️

I think a lot of people use shipped and sold interchangeably.

Last edited:
Because it still includes day one games and is still the superior service. :messenger_beaming:

The better question is why did Sony view their PS+ Extra tier as only worth $40 a year on top of the base.
I'm sure Jim Ryan will be ok with a price increase, send him a letter complaining that it's too cheap. Make sure to include in that letter a complain about PlayStation Deluxe/Premium for me, those tiers suck.

Last edited:
Even with price increase ps5 will outsell Xbox by a wide margin. Ps5 expensive bundles are outselling xbox standalones, and that's with stock issues. And retailers are even putting discounts and bundling on Xbox consoles at RRP to get them off shelves in the uk one of Xboxs strongest market.

Casual market don't care about power, even ms aren't using power as a huge marketing point, move on my man you are bringing poor man arguements from 2020.

Sony exclusives easily stomp over sea of mediocre games that comes out of Bethesda. Starfield is the only hope in the near future and that shit looks underwhelming.
That's one of the most BS comments I read for decades🤐

Riky

$MSFT
No one has any sources, the only source we had is word from MS that XsX+S are the best selling launch alligned.

"In January 2016, CFO of Electronic Arts Blake Jorgensen reported during a financial call that the Xbox One had sold "around 18 to 19 million" units."

Seems to confirm pretty much what I thought 17-20 million even before those first party studios start churning out content early 2023, they will also probably be near the 30 million Gamepass subscribers before the likes of Starfield, Redfall and Forza hit.
You have to be very optimistic this will be the best generation for Xbox by far.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
As long as MS keeps saying higher than 360 we at least have a minimum as they reported sales numbers back then. If they ever stop saying 360 it'll be pure speculation based on trying to figure out how many X and S out of revenue numbers.
Higher then X1 to, which sold 16-19 mill by jan 2016

In January 2016, CFO of Electronic Arts Blake Jorgensen reported during a financial call that the Xbox One had sold "around 18 to 19 million" units.

If it is at 13.8mill that must mean itvhas to sell about 5-6 million by jan 2023 to continue to be the best selling Xbox.

Topher

Gold Member
The article linked in the tweet says sold. Zhuge is building off that if its the fastest selling xbox it would have shipped more than a certain amount.

I think a lot of people use shipped and sold interchangeably.

No, if Microsoft is reporting the number then the number is shipped or "sold" to retailers. Explained here:

"Microsoft is revealing today that it will "shortly" have shipped 10 million Xbox One consoles to retailers. The significant milestone comes exactly three months after Sony first revealed it had hit 10 million sales of its PlayStation 4 console worldwide. Microsoft’s sales figures count devices shipped to retailers, rather than sales directly to consumers."

Analysts get their data from sales to customers. They don't have access to shipped numbers unless Microsoft provides it to them. These are not interchangeable.

Last edited:

Loxus

That's shipped, not sold.
By now Xbox probably shipped 15 million, which would line up with the 13.8 million sold number.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Xbox One was also tracking and selling more than 360 during the same time period
So it really doesn’t mean because its tracking ahead now, that it will beat 360 sales. I doubt it will get close, Halo 3 sold buckets for Xbox, its just not the same as those days

The competition having 50% more power and much more consistent first-party output will do that to you. X1 did very respectable numbers all things considered, Series should easily bypass it.

adamsapple

No, if Microsoft is reporting the number then the number is shipped or "sold" to retailers. Explained here:

MS aren't reporting, it's a quote from Phil where he's using the word sold, not shipped or sold to retailer etc.

In a wide-ranging New York Times interview, Xbox boss Phil Spencer said Microsoft had "at this point... sold more of this generation of Xboxes, which is Xbox Series X and S, than we had any previous version of Xboxes."

Hendrick's

If only my penis was as big as my GamerScore!
Seems to confirm pretty much what I thought 17-20 million even before those first party studios start churning out content early 2023, they will also probably be near the 30 million Gamepass subscribers before the likes of Starfield, Redfall and Forza hit.
You have to be very optimistic this will be the best generation for Xbox by far.
Agreed. It's funny how people are trying to paint these numbers as bad. Next year Xbox is going to steamroll.

Mr Moose

https://www.ampereanalysis.com/insi...se-the-price-of-ps5-across-a-range-of-markets

According to Ampere Analysis data, by the end of June 2022, Sony had sold through 21 million PS5s worldwide compared to Microsoft’s Xbox Series consoles at 13.8 million.

The competition having 50% more power and much more consistent first-party output will do that to you. X1 did very respectable numbers all things considered, Series should easily bypass it.
If you still think power is what made the PS4 more successful you were not paying attention at all.

As far as having a more consistent first-party output the PS5 is doing even better than the PS4 in that regard. As far as the Xbox go I think the Xbox One probably did better in terms of first-party games the first two years compared to the Series S/X but it's pretty even, neither did well. The Xbox One had more games that were not crossgen as well the Series S/X hardly has any.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Agreed. It's funny how people are trying to paint these numbers as bad. Next year Xbox is going to steamroll.

The numbers are certainly not bad by any stretch. Taking into account that PlayStation is more of a global brand than Xbox, almost 14 million sold through to customers is impressive. Most of that is in the US alone which is why Xbox has led so many months in the NPD.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

So no official numbers for GamePass as well? Well, some people laughed at me when I suggested that they might stop reporting GP numbers in the future. They seem to already did a while ago when I was busy enjoying my vacation.:messenger_winking_tongue:

If you don't think the PS4 being 50% more powerful and $100 cheaper wasn't the primary factor in poaching a portion of the 360 owners from MS, I don't know what to tell you.
I don't think it was. I think it was mostly the lack of compelling games. Things got even worse as the generation went along, price cuts, the release of the One X, nothing changed that course.

The PS4 is mostly the result of changes Sony made during the PS3 days, in particular how much they started to invest into their internal studios and partnerships.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Sony always made the numbers of PS+ subscribers and PS Now public even when the numbers of PSNow were pretty underwhelming. Let's se how they show up on their next financial report now that PS+ has multiple tiers. PlayStation numbers are really important for Sony investors so it not like they can get away with hiding those numbers.

MS is the one that hides this type of information. We haven't heard about Live Gold subscribers in ages.

They don’t have to show numbers like apple dont

As we know jan this year gamepass had 25m subs

Poss near 30m now?

What we don’t know is how many have converted PS+ or how many staying as they were. I sub to the top tier of PS+ and it’s ok but it ain’t as good as gamepass offers in value at the moment

Kokoloko85

It should pass it, but I don’t know if it will pass 360 numbers.
Halo and Gears were huge console mover. Xbox’s next big commerial hits are Gears, Doom, Quake, Fallout, Elder scrolls 6. But I don’t think there will be a Fallout 5 or Elder Scrolls 6 by 2025

Topher

Gold Member
They don’t have to show numbers like apple dont

As we know jan this year gamepass had 25m subs

Poss near 30m now?

Or could down to 20m now. The thing about subscriptions, and this applies to PS+ as well, is that the numbers don't necessarily always increase. It can fluctuate in either direction.

Mr Moose

We'd have to have estimated numbers in January 2023 to compare them to this.

Stuart360

So no official numbers for GamePass as well? Well, some people laughed at me when I suggested that they might stop reporting GP numbers in the future. They seem to already did a while ago when I was busy enjoying my vacation.:messenger_winking_tongue:
They seem to only be reporting every 5mil they hit, so we probably wont hear anyhting until they hit 30mil.

What we don’t know is how many have converted PS+ or how many staying as they were. I sub to the top tier of PS+ and it’s ok but it ain’t as good as gamepass offers in value at the moment
Top PS+ tier is pure shit and a complete shame. I regret not upgrading to just extra.

Deluxe/Premium have being a great disappointment so far. Extra and Essentials have been great.

It also makes no sense that they would care the least about the most expensive tier. That's peak Jim Ryan's Sony.

Last edited:

Darsxx82

Every unit "shipped" is sold from Microsoft's perspective, but it isn't sold through to customers. There is a difference.
The difference is that in December 2021 (which those data were than 12+ million) XSX were all sold, it was even very difficult to find XSS.

After 8 months, where in most of them this situation of lack of stock continued, it is very questionable to think that XSeries sold less than 1.8 million worldwide to the consumer.

That is to say, it is like believing that XSeries practically did not sell when in several months of 2021 (especially in the USA, but even a few in Europe and Japan) it even surpassed PS5 in consumer sales.

I don't know, but I think there is enough basis to question those figures. First of all the fact that Ampere has not been successful on other occasions.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Or could down to 20m now. The thing about subscriptions, and this applies to PS+ as well, is that the numbers don't necessarily always increase. It can fluctuate in either direction.

Yeah coarse and the numbers for the upgrades on ps+ for the sub service could be still ps now levels.

With more Xbox series getting sold I would hazard a guess it’s still going up

I expect ps+ sub service to rise to

Top Bottom