• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 15.8%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 46 22.0%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 78 37.3%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 40 19.1%

• Total voters
sexy cristiano ronaldo GIF
Sacha Baron Cohen Yes GIF by Amazon Prime Video

Hudo

Gold Member
So, I very recently got into an isekai-"hero get's kicked out of the party"-manga (hear me out), which I've come to like very much. I understand that it's an adaptatin of a web novel (which also has a light novel adaptation?). The characters and the initial motivation of the main character (which takes up to chapter 7 to manifest) is just very well executed. I also think the art is very good.

Name is: "追放されるたびにスキルを手に入れた俺が、100の異世界で2周目無双" ("Tsuihousareru Tabi ni Skill wo Te ni Ireta Ore ga, 100 no Isekai de 2-shuume Musou") or "I Got a New Skill Every Time I Was Exiled, and After 100 Different Worlds, I Was Unmatched" in English.

Last edited:

Celcius

°Temp. member
Ah, I see that the first episode of Gundam Build Metaverse is up on the gundam.info youtube channel. I didn't even know it was coming out so this is a pleasant surprise. I really like these Build spinoff series.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

YES! they announced the season 2 of Angel next door

Ah, I see that the first episode of Gundam Build Metaverse is up on the gundam.info youtube channel. I didn't even know it was coming out so this is a pleasant surprise. I really like these Build spinoff series.
I'm really happy when I saw all the previous MC appeared on the OP/ED.

NanaMiku

Finally, the anime adaptation of 100 Girlfriends has aired. So far it's pretty good. They also prepared some anime exclusive gag.

6f31eb0668.png
e1cfbc512d.jpg

d75ff4698a.png
a8886886d7.png

1a95fe1e9a.png

Tams

Started reading Yotsuba. What an adorable manga.

Fuuka is best girl though

6b39583652a4425392de5e26d244861c.jpg

Funny, I just finished watching Azumanga Daioh (for the 4th or 5th time?). While I still absolutely love it, I'm starting to understand why the author didn't like the anime, to the point that she(?) refused for Yotsuba to be adapted.

~edit: I forgot to add, that Yotsuba is so far the only manga I've actually bought in paper. That's how much I love this one.

I've got the slightly fancy boxset of it. Fantastic short series! And great for practising Japanese.

sedg87

Banned
Can I get some horror recommendations, please? I watched the Junji Ito anime on Netflix and am in a massive horror mood! Thank you.

Can I get some horror recommendations, please? I watched the Junji Ito anime on Netflix and am in a massive horror mood! Thank you.

Here's a recent archived horror anime rec thread on /x/

Mods if this isn't allowed then just delete but don't ban my ass please.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
An older one is called Hell Girl. It's about a girl that you can summon online that'll drag your enemy to hell. Pretty cool mid 00's anime.

Last edited:

Doom85

Note: those first two are the two original seasons of Higurashi, which tell a complete story. The later seasons are pretty unnecessary from what I’ve heard. Make sure it’s the original seasons before watching, Crunchyroll only has the newest seasons.

Note: for the last one, Mieruko, I read some of the manga, haven’t seen the anime version, I’ve heard the anime is a bit more comedic and fanservice-y compared to the manga which is more focused on horror, so the anime might not fit the bill for you. But the manga is really good and has some legit creepy ghost designs.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Isn't Dark Gathering is pretty good? It's still new

I kinda forgot the story but Another is quite good

Last edited:

sedg87

Banned

Here's a recent archived horror anime rec thread on /x/

Mods if this isn't allowed then just delete but don't ban my ass please.

Thank you. Will have a browse.

An older one is called Hell Girl. It's about a girl that you can summon online that'll drag your enemy to hell. Pretty cool mid 00's anime.

On my list. Probably the one I'll watch tonight

Note: those first two are the two original seasons of Higurashi, which tell a complete story. The later seasons are pretty unnecessary from what I’ve heard. Make sure it’s the original seasons before watching, Crunchyroll only has the newest seasons.

Note: for the last one, Mieruko, I read some of the manga, haven’t seen the anime version, I’ve heard the anime is a bit more comedic and fanservice-y compared to the manga which is more focused on horror, so the anime might not fit the bill for you. But the manga is really good and has some legit creepy ghost designs.

Cheers, Doom!

Isn't Dark Gathering is pretty good? It's still new

I kinda forgot the story but Another is quite good

Looks very interesting. Added to my list. Thank you!

Delphisage

Finished Ghost In The Shell: SAC. Or at least the first season of it. Amazing how this show can shift from procedural drama to conspiracy thriller without feeling unnatural. Though maybe that's my issue with never watching stuff like Law&Order or CSI.

Dub's also great. Who's the guy who voiced Serano? He felt like a Hollywood actor the dub got for flexing purposes, like when Liam Neeson was in Ponyo.

Finished Ghost In The Shell: SAC. Or at least the first season of it. Amazing how this show can shift from procedural drama to conspiracy thriller without feeling unnatural. Though maybe that's my issue with never watching stuff like Law&Order or CSI.

Dub's also great. Who's the guy who voiced Serano? He felt like a Hollywood actor the dub got for flexing purposes, like when Liam Neeson was in Ponyo.

Still my favorite anime of all time

-Minsc-

I remembered the 2nd ending song to Chobits. Twenty years later and it's still great. In the context of the show it definitely hits hard. A great, albeit sad, song.

Reflecting on Chobits, as a man in his 40's, I don't believe I could watch it again. It's not a place in my life I want to revisit. Was way more trapped inside myself back then.

Edit: adding the full version because I like the intro.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Chillin' in Another World with Level 2 Super Cheat Powers is getting anime.

What's pretty nice is that the VA for the MC is Hino Satoshi, while the main heroine is Kugimiya Ria. This pair previously voiced the MC and heroine of Shakugan no Shana and Zero no Tsukaima. The studio is also the same, J.C. Staff. The director is the same as Zero no Tsukaima.

Delphisage

I dropped Zero no Tsukaima 8 or 9 episodes in. It's one thing to steal characters from mega-popular anime, but it's another thing to give them just the dumbest backstories and use them as unironic empathy plays.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Gold Member

sedg87

Banned

Got this on my list. Thanks!

darth.shrimp

Gold Member
I dropped Zero no Tsukaima 8 or 9 episodes in. It's one thing to steal characters from mega-popular anime, but it's another thing to give them just the dumbest backstories and use them as unironic empathy plays.
Which anime did it steal characters from? Serious question btw, the manga is from 2004, so I view it as one of the grand-daddies of the genre...

SlimeGooGoo

Party Gooper
Finished reading for the 4th time Welcome to the NHK
Still a fun read. Satou is really a fun and sad protagonist to follow along.

By the way, has anybody read the light novel Rebuild of Welcome to the NHK?

7gq7w6alw9xaueodcai1ua02zbu8

Last edited:
Finished reading for the 4th time Welcome to the NHK
Still a fun read. Satou is really a fun and sad protagonist to follow along.

By the way, has anybody read the light novel Rebuild of Welcome to the NHK?

7gq7w6alw9xaueodcai1ua02zbu8

The anime is in my Top 10 Anime of All Time. The English Dub is fantastic

The manga is in my Top 10 Manga of All Time. There's some differences between the manga, anime and light novel

I read the Light Novel. As great as the anime and manga

This story is so good. I have to do a rewatch/reread

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
The anime is in my Top 10 Anime of All Time. The English Dub is fantastic

The manga is in my Top 10 Manga of All Time. There's some differences between the manga, anime and light novel

I read the Light Novel. As great as the anime and manga

This story is so good. I have to do a rewatch/reread
Welcome to the nhk is an anime I remember really enjoying but I'm not sure I finished it. I should do that.

Doom85

What's wrong with Rent-A-Girfriend? 🤔

V5Ep2mw.jpg

Seriously, IIRC this piece of shit hires her to be his girlfriend for a date. They go to the aquarium, but he gets frustrated that she is clueless about aquatic life while he is very passionate about it (never mind anyone with five functioning brain cells knows dating can lead to people beginning to share interests over time…)

Despite him being immature about this and actually giving her a bad review over something so irrelevant, she actually goes on to study up on aquatic life and on their next date she is actually able to talk with him about the subject, and he STILL gets pissy about it despite the fact that she did what any rational person would have assumed he’d want her to do.

He also get pissed she was only his girlfriend for the time he hired her for, and nothing more. Ah yes, I too get upset when people do exactly what I hired them to do.

Justin Timberlake Eye Roll GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

I might be getting some details wrong, but I know I’m not the only one who thinks this MC should stop renting girlfriends and start renting a brick wall to continuously slam his head against until it starts functioning right and he stops acting like a little shit.

I only got a few episodes in, but yeah, first impressions are kind of important. You can have a douchebag MC, but their characterization and/or the story hook needs to be strong to make me want to keep watching. Kazuya ain’t that deep, and I can get my romance fix elsewhere.

No biggie if you like it though. In terms of modern romance anime that can be sorts divisive, I’m a big fan of Komi Can’t Communicate yet some other people have a real hate boner for that one for various reasons. Some shows we like will in turn irritate others who try it. It’s all good.

Thumbs Up GIF

Delphisage

Still searching eternally for my Naruhina-tier OTP where the Hinata is a character who matters, never declines in relevance, and doesn't wait until the end of the series to hook up with the MC.

Last edited:
V5Ep2mw.jpg

Seriously, IIRC this piece of shit hires her to be his girlfriend for a date. They go to the aquarium, but he gets frustrated that she is clueless about aquatic life while he is very passionate about it (never mind anyone with five functioning brain cells knows dating can lead to people beginning to share interests over time…)

Despite him being immature about this and actually giving her a bad review over something so irrelevant, she actually goes on to study up on aquatic life and on their next date she is actually able to talk with him about the subject, and he STILL gets pissy about it despite the fact that she did what any rational person would have assumed he’d want her to do.

He also get pissed she was only his girlfriend for the time he hired her for, and nothing more. Ah yes, I too get upset when people do exactly what I hired them to do.

Justin Timberlake Eye Roll GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

I might be getting some details wrong, but I know I’m not the only one who thinks this MC should stop renting girlfriends and start renting a brick wall to continuously slam his head against until it starts functioning right and he stops acting like a little shit.

I only got a few episodes in, but yeah, first impressions are kind of important. You can have a douchebag MC, but their characterization and/or the story hook needs to be strong to make me want to keep watching. Kazuya ain’t that deep, and I can get my romance fix elsewhere.

No biggie if you like it though. In terms of modern romance anime that can be sorts divisive, I’m a big fan of Komi Can’t Communicate yet some other people have a real hate boner for that one for various reasons. Some shows we like will in turn irritate others who try it. It’s all good.

Thumbs Up GIF
Shark Tank What GIF by ABC Network

As for Komi Can't Communicate. Good show

Still searching eternally for my Naruhina-tier OTP where the Hinata is a character who matters, never declines in relevance, and doesn't wait until the end of the series to hook up with the MC.
Still one of my OTP

Last edited:
Top Bottom