• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anime/Manga Community

Nani?

• WRYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!

Votes: 33 15.8%
  • Muda Muda Muda!

Votes: 46 22.0%
  • B..baka!

Votes: 78 37.3%
  • Why yes I like isekai!

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • Anime Thor

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • I'm here for the plot!

Votes: 40 19.1%

• Total voters

NanaMiku

V5Ep2mw.jpg

Seriously, IIRC this piece of shit hires her to be his girlfriend for a date. They go to the aquarium, but he gets frustrated that she is clueless about aquatic life while he is very passionate about it (never mind anyone with five functioning brain cells knows dating can lead to people beginning to share interests over time…)

Despite him being immature about this and actually giving her a bad review over something so irrelevant, she actually goes on to study up on aquatic life and on their next date she is actually able to talk with him about the subject, and he STILL gets pissy about it despite the fact that she did what any rational person would have assumed he’d want her to do.

He also get pissed she was only his girlfriend for the time he hired her for, and nothing more. Ah yes, I too get upset when people do exactly what I hired them to do.

Justin Timberlake Eye Roll GIF by Agent M Loves Gifs

I might be getting some details wrong, but I know I’m not the only one who thinks this MC should stop renting girlfriends and start renting a brick wall to continuously slam his head against until it starts functioning right and he stops acting like a little shit.

I only got a few episodes in, but yeah, first impressions are kind of important. You can have a douchebag MC, but their characterization and/or the story hook needs to be strong to make me want to keep watching. Kazuya ain’t that deep, and I can get my romance fix elsewhere.

No biggie if you like it though. In terms of modern romance anime that can be sorts divisive, I’m a big fan of Komi Can’t Communicate yet some other people have a real hate boner for that one for various reasons. Some shows we like will in turn irritate others who try it. It’s all good.

Thumbs Up GIF
Basically 300 chapters of very small, almost non existant, development. The MC monologue is really irritating

GymWolf

So these morons decided to adapt the remaining 100+ chapters of haikyuu with 2 movies instead of another 1-2 seasons of anime?

3 years of waiting for this shit, ugh.

NahaNago

A lot of anime that interests me this season for the first time in a long time. Just started that shang ri frontier or whatever it's called . It's an mmo anime. Since today is my day off I'll just binge anime for a lot of the day and mix in a little of mario wonder and tales of arise.

Doom85

A lot of anime that interests me this season for the first time in a long time. Just started that shang ri frontier or whatever it's called . It's an mmo anime. Since today is my day off I'll just binge anime for a lot of the day and mix in a little of mario wonder and tales of arise.

This season is fucking packed.

Ones I want to check out:

-Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End
-Pluto
-The Apothecary Diaries
-Scott Pilgrim
-Undead Unluck
-Shangri-La Frontier
-100 Girlfriends

And some others in the “maybe” section. Also Spy x Family is back.

NanaMiku

Yeah this season is so packed.

I'm currently following:

100 Girlfriends
Overtake!
Saint's Magic is Omnipotent S2
Frieren
A Playthrough of a Certain Dude's VRMMO Life
Berserk of Gluttony
Shangri-La Frontier
KamiErabi God.App
Our Dating Story: The Experienced You and The Inexperienced Me
Bullbuster
Firefighter Daigo
A Returner's Magic Should Be Special

And I still haven't started on
Pluto
Apothecary Diaries
My Daughter S-Rank
MF Ghost
16bit Sensation

NahaNago

These are the anime I'm thinking about seeing. I've read a lot of the manga and novel forms of these.

Saint's Magic is Omnipotent
Frieren
A Playthrough of a Certain Dude's VRMMO Life
Berserk of Gluttony
Shangri-La Frontier
Bullbuster
Firefighter Daigo
A Returner's Magic Should Be Special
My Daughter S-Rank
MF Ghost

I unfortunately slept through most of the day. So I've only continued watching Shangri la frontier. The plan now is to play some civ 5 and aoe3 and then watch A returner's magic should be special.

'Gushing over Magical Girls' Key Visual (slightly NSFW)

msa_Keyvisual.jpg

Broadcast starts January 2024

Synopsis: Hi, I'm Hiiragi Utena. I'm a normal magical-girl-loving middle school girl—or at least I was, but then some talking mascot showed up out of the blue and cast a spell on me! Now's my chance to join my beloved magical girls as...a villain? Hang on, something's wrong with my outfit! This can't be happening! Watch this shy magical-girl fan transform into a sadistic dominatrix! When good and evil collide, who will be the one to submit?! (J-Novel Club)

Studio: Asahi Production

Main Cast:

Fūka Izumi as Utena Hiiragi/ Magia Baiser

Aoi Koga as Kiwi Araga / Leopard

Shiori Sugiura as Korisu Morino / Nero Alice

Mayuko Kazama as Sayo Minakami / Magia Azul

Misaki Ikeda as Kaoruko Tenkawa / Magia Sulfur

Kaori Maeda as Haruka Hanabishi/ Magia Magenta

Misato Fukuen as Venalita

Main PV 1:

ANN Article

https://natalie.mu/comic/news/546844

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
What are some anime and Manga that are hard to find now? I really miss Vampire Princess Miyu and would give anything to if they brought the manga back as a complete box set. Same for the anime. Bonus points for this being the right season for shows/books of that sort. It's harder for me due to only being able to shop at amazon for personal reasons. Box sets would be easier than buying individual volumes.

Delphisage

I have no choice but to watch or read Kimetsu no Yaiba now that it's coming back to Toonami. Which do you recommend?

Last edited:

-Zelda-

Banned
Just finished the Rosario+Vampire Manga. I liked the ending, but I do wish that
There was a post time skip scene that confirmed marriage between Tsukune and Moka. Glad they are official, at least.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Muse Asia just started uploading Baka & Test & Summon. Time to rewatch it lol

Reading Jujutsu Kaisen instead. Demon Slayer is the equivalent of a paint by numbers Shounen.
Tried Jujutsu Kaisen when it's first started. Not really liking it. My most favorite Shonen Jump titles are

16ace667f142f73b9340332147214fe1.jpe

One of Jump titles that the battle have so much strategy. If you watch the anime, the first season is pretty bad (recap that are too long, mediocre animation, filler arc), but the second and third season are awesome

9096097-2077375280-077b8.jpg

Magilumiere is also great. It's about companies that are employing magical girls to fight monsters.

Last edited:

NahaNago

Muse Asia just started uploading Baka & Test & Summon. Time to rewatch it lol

Tried Jujutsu Kaisen when it's first started. Not really liking it. My most favorite Shonen Jump titles are

16ace667f142f73b9340332147214fe1.jpe

One of Jump titles that the battle have so much strategy. If you watch the anime, the first season is pretty bad (recap that are too long, mediocre animation, filler arc), but the second and third season are awesome

I really liked reading world trigger in the beginning, but it felt like it was going nowhere after a while.
Just finished the Rosario+Vampire Manga. I liked the ending, but I do wish that
Now that is a series I haven't heard about in a long time. I can't believe the manga came out 16 to 20 years ago.

This and a youtube video about Psyren popping up all of a sudden is starting to make me feel old.

-Zelda-

Banned
^Speaking of Legality, can I say how surprised and also creeped out by just now much anime is on YouTube by random uploaders? I never expected it. Like, full seasons as one long video. I wonder why it seems that easy? If you were to try uploading a Hollywood movie, your whole channel would get nuked real fast, but this anime has been up for years. I feel weird even saying this because I am not sure I want to complain or celebrate it. Stuff is way too expensive these days on the whole, let alone a gaming or anime hobby.

Fbh

Where are you lot watching and reading?

Crunchyroll?

Only legal suggestions, of course.

For watching, yeah Crunchyroll.
Every now and then Netflix had good stuff too (like Pluto right now).

For buying digital manga:
Amazon Kindle store and Comixology have a decent selection

For manga subscriptions:
There's the oficial Manga Plus app where for ongoing mangas the first 3 and newest 3 chapters are always free, so you can read the weekly/monthly ongoing stuff for free as long as you are up to date. If you want to unlock all the in between chapters they have a subscription service for that

Last edited:

Doom85

Crunchyroll?

Crunchyroll, Netflix, and Blu-Rays for anime. I considered HIDIVE as well but found out they have no app on Playstation (they need to get on that like yesterday!) and while you can apparently use it through Amazon Video apparently certain HIDIVE titles won’t be available if you use it through Amazon so I just don’t bother. I’ll just wait for the Blu-Rays of HIDIVE titles I’m interested in, either by checking out a bit of the manga first like with Call of the Night or I’ll just blind buy as I’m pretty good at guessing what I’ll enjoy.

Manga all physical, call me old-fashioned but I just can’t vibe with reading unless I’m holding a book in my hands. But I know there’s some good digital options out there for those who don‘t have my issue.

SJRB

Gold Member
Quick question about Jujitsu Kaisen.

I was 1000% on board with this show until this bizarre battle royale between two friendly but insanely rival schools in this forest. Such a confusing segment. I've watched a couple of episodes now and the show is nosediving.

Does it pick back up later or should I just bail?

Delphisage

I was 1000% on board with this show until this bizarre battle royale between two friendly but insanely rival schools in this forest. Such a confusing segment. I've watched a couple of episodes now and the show is nosediving.

JJK is right now the most popular anime in the world. You have no choice but to keep watching if you want to stay relevant.

Last edited:

Why do so many people have a problem with this? I'm not hating or anything I've seen a lot of people quit at this point. It's a fake out tournament arc and the series needs to establish a lot of characters currently in the manga... Half the characters you know at that point are dead.

JJK is sloppy with its writing at times and rushes things out but when it lands and actually hits it gives minor Shounen peak qualities that can only be found in the classics.

Today's episode is the first of the ENTIRE animated series I was blown the fuck away and it NEEDED animation and I'm so happy it got it. I've had to rewatch MULTIPLE times, Shibuya arc the only arc in current Shounen that I've witnessed that I can give praise to.

SJRB

Gold Member
Why do so many people have a problem with this?

Well for me it's because it fucking sucks? The buildup is non-existent, the extreme hostility between the characters makes no sense because we're all on the same team, it's such drastic departure from the story and tone up until that point, a lot of the characters really aren't very interesting, the purpose and goal feels weird and unnatural.

But hey, I get it. Just keep going. No problem.

Well for me it's because it fucking sucks? The buildup is non-existent, the extreme hostility between the characters makes no sense because we're all on the same team, it's such drastic departure from the story and tone up until that point, a lot of the characters really aren't very interesting, the purpose and goal feels weird and unnatural.

But hey, I get it. Just keep going. No problem.
First six volumes are just OK which S1 covers, the movie and S2 are better and what's happening right now in the show is the peak of the series.

If you haven't seen Todo's dream yet that made me 180 on him and that part of the series.

EDIT: Also it is a Zoomer era Shounen so there has to be constant fights... You know how it is.

Last edited:

NanaMiku

Crunchyroll?

I live in Asia region, for legal anime, I watch it on YouTube, specifically Muse Asia and Ani-One Asia, also Gundam Info for Gundam title. I used to watch on Netflix, but they stopped password sharing and I stopped using it. I think most streaming sites now also have anime, Netflix, Disney+/Hulu, iQiyi, Viu, BStation/Bilibili, Amazon Prime.

MAL also listed where the anime streams:
03082e688c.png

Every season, MAL release simulcast list which is pretty handy for me. Here's the current season: https://myanimelist.net/news/69919332

For manga, right now almost every publisher have their own service, Mangaplus for Shueisha (Shonen Jump), K Manga for Kodansha, etc

^Speaking of Legality, can I say how surprised and also creeped out by just now much anime is on YouTube by random uploaders? I never expected it. Like, full seasons as one long video. I wonder why it seems that easy? If you were to try uploading a Hollywood movie, your whole channel would get nuked real fast, but this anime has been up for years. I feel weird even saying this because I am not sure I want to complain or celebrate it. Stuff is way too expensive these days on the whole, let alone a gaming or anime hobby.
Some studios are really loose with it. Some are really strict, such as Toei. I think another reason is that there are legal anime channels on YouTube. Because of that, maybe the studio changed their policy and the new policy have some loops.

-Zelda-

Banned
Have always been curious about how popular anime and manga was in the west before Dragonball/Z, and Sailor Moon. Man, I miss the 90's.

Delphisage

Have always been curious about how popular anime and manga was in the west before Dragonball/Z, and Sailor Moon. Man, I miss the 90's.
I'd assume it'd be this obscure market directly tied with the Japanese takeover of business industry, and all the product would be Fist of the North Star or similarly ultraviolent OVAs.

-Zelda-

Banned
I'd assume it'd be this obscure market directly tied with the Japanese takeover of business industry, and all the product would be Fist of the North Star or similarly ultraviolent OVAs.
So, it was financially secure right out the gate in the U.S, or did it have to build itself up over time? Did Japan at any point think about pulling the plug after it was introduced here because the sales were not where they wanted them to be yet? I actually remember stuff like Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, Wicked City, Demon City Shinjuku, Ghost in the Shell, Roujin Z. Before all the tv show stuff.

Doom85

So, it was financially secure right out the gate in the U.S, or did it have to build itself up over time? Did Japan at any point think about pulling the plug after it was introduced here because the sales were not where they wanted them to be yet? I actually remember stuff like Vampire Hunter D, Ninja Scroll, Wicked City, Demon City Shinjuku, Ghost in the Shell, Roujin Z. Before all the tv show stuff.

Unless I missed something, the sales in the US would not influence any Japanese company’s decision to license out their anime. A US company approaches them looking for anime licenses. Nowadays anime is so big it’s sometimes a bidding war between multiple US companies, but back then it was probably one at a time. The Japanese company gives them a license of various titles (often as a bundle, and that’s how Japanese companies make money off even bad shows sometimes. The infamous Ghost Stories anime was likely part of a bundle deal the US company ADV had to take, and so after discussing it with the Japanese company, ADV was allowed to go batshit insane with the dub with only minor requirements in staying faithful to the original script, and the rest is history).

So the US company pays for the license, and that’s that. Generally, all money the US company makes from their own sales they keep directly. Now, licenses usually expire after so many years, so depending on the show’s success, the US company will renew the license to keep it up on streaming and/or continue putting out home video releases. So while at first buying a US anime Blu-Ray or subscribing to a streaming platform might not seem to support anime, it does if they renew the license plus it gives the US company money so they can go and license new shows which means more money going to the Japanese companies which can greenlight even more anime.

So in short, no, even if sales in the US had been abysmal for anime generally in the US, it would make no difference to the Japanese companies. They get their money from the US through the licensing itself so the US sales numbers don’t really matter too much to them per say but rather keeping the US company in business so they can purchase more licenses from the Japanese companies.

Key visual art for 'Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian'

Broadcast starts April 2024

Synopsis: Alisa Mikhailovna Kujou is Seiren Private Academy’s “solitary princess.” She’s a half-Russian beauty with silver hair, at the top of her class, student council accountant, and…completely unapproachable. For some reason, she’s also taken on the responsibility of reprimanding the slacker who sits next to her in class. Masachika Kuze is constantly frustrating her by falling asleep, forgetting his textbooks, and just being an overall unexemplary student. Or at least, that’s how it looks from the outside. She may put on a tough act, but she doesn’t mind Masachika as much as others would think. She even lets him call her by her nickname, Alya. Anyone hearing the comments she mutters in Russian under her breath might know how she really feels, but since none of her classmates understand the language, she’s free to say whatever she likes! Except…there is one person who knows what she’s saying. Masachika eavesdrops on her embarrassing revelations, pretending to be clueless, all the while wondering what her flirtatious comments actually mean! (Yen Press)

Studio: Doga Kobo

Doom85

Key visual art for 'Alya Sometimes Hides Her Feelings in Russian'

Wait, so she’s flirting with him in another language thinking he doesn’t know it, but he actually does and understands what she’s saying, and he’s still unsure if she truly means what she’s saying?

Shocked Oh No GIF by CBC

Man, even my insecure ass back then would know if she’s going to that length to hide what she’s saying, then she’s being serious. Get it together, my guy!

Still, has potential to be cute and fun, will keep my eye out.

Got an email about some class action lawsuit that Crunchyroll shared info. Anyone else going to sign up for whatever comes of this?

NanaMiku

Wait, so she’s flirting with him in another language thinking he doesn’t know it, but he actually does and understands what she’s saying, and he’s still unsure if she truly means what she’s saying?

Shocked Oh No GIF by CBC

Man, even my insecure ass back then would know if she’s going to that length to hide what she’s saying, then she’s being serious. Get it together, my guy!

Still, has potential to be cute and fun, will keep my eye out.
Yeah, it's kinda frustrating, there are many anime/manga are like these. I read the manga, it's pretty good, but the MC is not that likeable for me. I recommend "The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten" for a better experience. They just announced second season too!

Doom85

Yeah, it's kinda frustrating, there are many anime/manga are like these. I read the manga, it's pretty good, but the MC is not that likeable for me. I recommend "The Angel Next Door Spoils Me Rotten" for a better experience. They just announced second season too!

Ah, that one might not be for me, unless it‘s different from what I remember hearing, it sounded TOO wish fulfillment-y for me. Like, he does one basic thing for her, and suddenly she is practically his housewife in behavior.

I don’t mind vanilla characters and potential romance with them, I love certain vanilla characters like Rem from Re:Zero or Komi from Komi Can’t Communicate. But I don’t like it when it feels like they catch feelings for the MC for basically existing (which wasn’t a problem with those two, Subaru went up and beyond to help Rem, and Tadano constantly supported Komi in her goals). Unless it’s tongue-in-cheek about it or something since then it isn’t meant to be taken seriously (which is why I am interested in 100 Girlfriends, I highly doubt the series can adequately justify most of the girls being really into him, but it seems pretty clear you’re not reading/watching this for a legit romance story).

And the thing is, I can excuse MCs for not picking up flirtatious hints and/or being insecure. I get it, not everyone can read the room well and/or they have self-confidence issues especially at that age. But by god, with this half-Russian girl, if she is clearly trying to hide the flirting without realizing he can understand it, well even an infant could put 2 and 2 together and figure out the answer.

I will say I am concerned about reading more of My Dress Up Darling (IIRC I read up to Vol. 3, still need to watch the anime) as I’ve heard it gets pretty ridiculous after a while that the MC can’t figure out she’s into him. I know I defended Komi as they sorta have that problem in the manga (at least up to where I’ve read, I think Vol. 15 or 16?), but since Komi is more shy about her feelings (plus those who have read the manga past the anime‘s point know things get a bit complicated soon after where the anime ended for now) it feels more believable that Tadano is unsure.

But again, it’s all about tone. My favorite comedy anime of all time, School Rumble, is about taking romantic misunderstandings and missed signals and making it absolutely hilarious:

HV1GCp7.gif
9lndKmI.gif
mqpgamB.gif
7HS2pxV.jpg
MyqfsbR.gif
gFcyY3R.jpg

Celcius

°Temp. member

Crunchyroll?

Crunchyroll, Hi-Dive, Netflix, Amazon Video. I used to use Funimation too but they were acquired by Crunchyroll.
Also the Gundam.info youtube channel sometimes has entire gundam series that you can watch for free.

edit: Also also, I agree that they really need to make a Hi-Dive app for PlayStation (and iPhone).

Last edited:
Top Bottom